Lumps on belly

Breed: Border Collie
Hello, Dr. Marie:

I noticed some small bumps on my dog's bladder on/near the site of her spaying surgery (which was 6 and a half years ago). They are about the size of a pin head. I want to know if I should be concerned or if it is normal to have bumps like these. I have not noticed any changes in her behavior or her urine output/color/smell/frequency, etc. She has been to the vet twice in the last 2 months (once for a regular checkup and once just last week because she was reverse-sneezing and it freaked me out) and they said she was healthy, though they recommended that I run a "senior" blood test on her since she just turned 7.

What would you suggest? Should I be worried? I will take her in if advisable, but since she's been in so recently, I'd prefer not to.

Thank you so much for your help!
Julie Mills

Hi Julie!

Is there any way you could take a picture of the area? It would really help me in advising you. If you can get a picture, you can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Quite often, bumps on the abdomen can be just fat lumps. It's also possible that it is a wart or a cyst. But, some of these can be mammary tumors.

Was she a puppy when she was spayed? If she was spayed before her first heat then it is extremely unlikely that this is anything to worry about as we don't see many mammary tumors in dogs who have not gone through a heat cycle.

Let me know if you can get a picture and I'll see if I can add more advice. If you can't then, I really would advise having the vet take a look at it. While it is likely nothing to worry about, it's much better to be safe than sorry!

Dear Dr. Marie,

Thank you for your speedy response! I just sent three pictures to that email address. I hope that they are clear enough!

She was 6 months old when she was spayed, so she has never gone into heat.

Thank you again for your help!
Julie

OK...sorry for the delay! I had an early bedtime last night. :)

Here is one of your pictures:

bumps on dog's skin

Now, I definitely can't make a diagnosis over the internet but what I see in the picture looks like it is likely nothing serious. It really doesn't look like a mammary cancer. But, if the area gets much larger then I would have it checked out.

It almost looks like it could be a reaction to a mosquito bite, or possibly a mild area of skin infection.

Again, I can't give you a diagnosis. But, I don't think you need to rush in to the vet's. Keep an eye on the area and if they are getting much larger than have her seen. Otherwise, next time you are in to the vet's have the vet take a look!

Thank you, Dr. Marie!

Jammy has gotten some sort of skin irritation in her bladder area for years, so I think that the red bump in the picture is just irritation. I'm pretty sure it's not related to the bump underneath because I felt a few more small ones around the area of her incision that have nothing on the surface of the skin over top them. Would this change things?

Thank you again for your help!!
Julie

You're very welcome! If she keeps getting more and more little bumps like this then it could be a sign of a skin infection. I think if the situation is getting worse or you are seeing more and more bumps then she should have another visit with her doctor!

Rash on Daschund My dog has a very red rash on her lower abdominal area and vaginal area. She bites... (11246 views)

Does Hartz flea treatment work? My dogs have gotten fleas and I've been putting Hartz flea treatment on them but it... (14729 views)

Cavalier screaming in pain. Hi there, since last Thursday my puppy having very strange moment and I went to my... (34480 views)

Golden retriever won't eat. Dr, Changing Max's food doesn't seem to help. He went to the new food since... (26894 views)

Rapid wheezing in a cat. My family adopted a cat from the humane society almost a year ago. When we got her... (10501 views)

Lab not eating. Dakota, my lab, has stopped eating over the last couple of weeks and is losing... (10859 views)

Puppy breathing hard. Tucker is only 8 weeks old, I can't get his needles until this Tues. I think he has... (12793 views)

Should this tumor be removed? My neice's 8-month old cavoodle has a growth on his shoulder. When we first noticed... (12840 views)

Stopped prednisolone suddenly. Hi Dr. Marie, My 2.5 year old cat, Pebbles, was diagnosed with pretty severe... (19589 views)

Trifexis side effects I just read your article about Trifexis and was very disturbed. We have three... (6564 views)