Thin older cat.

Breed: domestic
Dr. Marie,

My cat is very thin although he eats every 1/2 hour, he has also started urinated everywhere else but his litter box, he does not seem to be in any pain.

Sorry to hear that Waldo is having problems.

There are a number of things that can cause an older cat to have these symptoms and some of them are actually relatively easy to treat.

The first thing I would recommend is to have your vet do a physical exam and bloodwork.

It is possible that Waldo has hyperthyroidism which is a condition that causes a cat to be extra hungry but lose weight. Hyperthyroidism is usually treated well with a medication to lower the thyroid levels.

Another possibility is kidney disease. While we don't have a cure for kidney disease there are certain things that can be done to help him.

Diabetes is possible as well, and treatable. But this is less common in an older animal.

Unfortunately cancer is a possibility as well. However, my experience is that most animals with cancer do not eat well.

Hopefully he can have a checkup soon!

Recurring ear infections in Golden. My dog is a 90 pound Golden Retriever. He has had a lot of problems with ear... (21932 views)

Heartworm in a puppy? I recently sold an 11 week old pomeranian on January 24, 2010 due to allergies. I... (14090 views)

Breeding and vaccines. I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual... (17570 views)

Benadryl for dogs How much Benadryl can I give my dog? I think he is having an allergic reaction to a... (19111 views)

Cat with crusty areas. Hello, I'd like some advice on diagnosis and treatment for my cat. She has had... (13770 views)

Bassett hound neck pain, etc. Our dog Lola came to us as a stray about 3 yrs ago. She is about 7 years old and... (13593 views)

Should cat have her teeth cleaned? My 13 year old cat recently went for a wellness vet visit at a new vet. The vet... (12558 views)

Bloddy vaginal discharge in a cat. My cat is bleeding from her vagina, she is not spayed and we don't believe she is... (8990 views)

Lethargic dog. The last 3 days, Duke has become very lethargic, laying around and just sleeping. ... (31505 views)

Non itchy bald spots. She has 3 bald spots on her head and 2-3 more around her body. Took her to the vet... (16866 views)