Thin older cat.

Breed: domestic
Dr. Marie,

My cat is very thin although he eats every 1/2 hour, he has also started urinated everywhere else but his litter box, he does not seem to be in any pain.

Sorry to hear that Waldo is having problems.

There are a number of things that can cause an older cat to have these symptoms and some of them are actually relatively easy to treat.

The first thing I would recommend is to have your vet do a physical exam and bloodwork.

It is possible that Waldo has hyperthyroidism which is a condition that causes a cat to be extra hungry but lose weight. Hyperthyroidism is usually treated well with a medication to lower the thyroid levels.

Another possibility is kidney disease. While we don't have a cure for kidney disease there are certain things that can be done to help him.

Diabetes is possible as well, and treatable. But this is less common in an older animal.

Unfortunately cancer is a possibility as well. However, my experience is that most animals with cancer do not eat well.

Hopefully he can have a checkup soon!

Is my dog pregnant? my dog had puppies about 7 months ago and i wasn't home often to make sure her and... (14857 views)

Anemic dog. Hi, I'm really worried about my dog Sammy. He was at the vet a couple of days ago... (9898 views)

Lump on kitten's chest. Hi I have a kitten and he has developped a very hard lump on his chest, its on... (23983 views)

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (19948 views)

Vomiting dog Hi Marie, Our dog is a 5 year old Lhasa male (entire).Which we bought to China with... (22274 views)

Clumsy,wobbly yorkiepoo. My son put my 11 month old yorkiepoo outside yesterday and he didn't let him back in... (13814 views)

Eye out of socket. MY PUPPY JUST GOT BIT BY A LARGE DOG IN THE LEFT EYE. THE EYE LOOKS LIKE ITS OUT OF... (10764 views)

Health problems. WE DO NEED A QUICK ANSWER, BUT IN CASE DOG WILL HANG ON, HERE GOES: 10 YRS OLD... (8375 views)

Puppy leaking urine. My puppy seems to be going pee while he sleeps .. He's 7 weeks old. Is this normal?... (9605 views)

Painful after grooming. My dog, Codey (6 yr old rescue cockapoo) went to the groomer yesterday to get... (18163 views)