Thin older cat.

Breed: domestic
Dr. Marie,

My cat is very thin although he eats every 1/2 hour, he has also started urinated everywhere else but his litter box, he does not seem to be in any pain.

Sorry to hear that Waldo is having problems.

There are a number of things that can cause an older cat to have these symptoms and some of them are actually relatively easy to treat.

The first thing I would recommend is to have your vet do a physical exam and bloodwork.

It is possible that Waldo has hyperthyroidism which is a condition that causes a cat to be extra hungry but lose weight. Hyperthyroidism is usually treated well with a medication to lower the thyroid levels.

Another possibility is kidney disease. While we don't have a cure for kidney disease there are certain things that can be done to help him.

Diabetes is possible as well, and treatable. But this is less common in an older animal.

Unfortunately cancer is a possibility as well. However, my experience is that most animals with cancer do not eat well.

Hopefully he can have a checkup soon!

Possible seizure in toy poodle. my just had a shaking spell, he was shaking,panting,peeing and very unblanced when... (15812 views)

Popcorn in dog's stool? My dog had something that looked like a popped popcorn kernel at the end of his... (12989 views)

Prednisone and Tramadol for Neck Pain. Seymour is a 7-year old black neufy/mix, 110 lbs,very strong and energetic. The... (15941 views)

Melanoma in mouth of dog. My dog has melanoma for the second time. She first got it in her mouth about two... (14879 views)

Neomycin dangerous to cats? by fault i wish i hadn't, i gave my cat eardrops containing neomycin (i only gave... (16554 views)

Cat is licking himself and has scabs. My cat is licking him self till he bleeds and it's getting so bad that he has... (10437 views)

Vomiting kitten. My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very... (5833 views)

Is my dog overweight? Can you please tell me what weight Lady should be? She is now 24kg, is this a good... (7345 views)

Will one grape hurt my dog? (112706 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate candy. Bo ate an 8 oz. package of See's chocolate brittle (12 one inch pieces of toffee... (8604 views)