Thin older cat.

Breed: domestic
Dr. Marie,

My cat is very thin although he eats every 1/2 hour, he has also started urinated everywhere else but his litter box, he does not seem to be in any pain.

Sorry to hear that Waldo is having problems.

There are a number of things that can cause an older cat to have these symptoms and some of them are actually relatively easy to treat.

The first thing I would recommend is to have your vet do a physical exam and bloodwork.

It is possible that Waldo has hyperthyroidism which is a condition that causes a cat to be extra hungry but lose weight. Hyperthyroidism is usually treated well with a medication to lower the thyroid levels.

Another possibility is kidney disease. While we don't have a cure for kidney disease there are certain things that can be done to help him.

Diabetes is possible as well, and treatable. But this is less common in an older animal.

Unfortunately cancer is a possibility as well. However, my experience is that most animals with cancer do not eat well.

Hopefully he can have a checkup soon!

Vomiting and not eating. My shepherd mix, Beanie, is 8 years old, weighs about 44 pounds, and has always been... (7423 views)

Surgery needed for cruciate tear? Hello again Dr. Marie, you seem like a compassionate and caring person, so I would... (4468 views)

Dental problems in 20 year old cat. My cat Jack, who is 20 yrs old and has a predominant heart murmur and obviously a... (13015 views)

Not eating and very weak. Our dog has been quite sick for a bit over a week now. We live on a small island in... (56646 views)

Puppy chewing legs and licking penis Harley chews on himself constantly. He likes his penis, he chews on his legs,... (14358 views)

Kidney problem or diabetes? Hi Dr Marie, Hicks is 17 years old now. Still moderately active. 2 years ago, she... (5058 views)

Kennel Cough. Hello I am only 16 and my parents do not believe me on my concern for my dog. I do... (5724 views)

Immodium overdose? I may have overdosed my chihuahua on immodium ad yesterday. I gave her a humans dose... (18371 views)

Interview tips for veterinary technicians. I actually had a question not related to a pet, if that is okay. What advice would... (5941 views)

Stroke or brain tumor? I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet over the weekend and am glad... (10894 views)