Thin older cat.

Breed: domestic
Dr. Marie,

My cat is very thin although he eats every 1/2 hour, he has also started urinated everywhere else but his litter box, he does not seem to be in any pain.

Sorry to hear that Waldo is having problems.

There are a number of things that can cause an older cat to have these symptoms and some of them are actually relatively easy to treat.

The first thing I would recommend is to have your vet do a physical exam and bloodwork.

It is possible that Waldo has hyperthyroidism which is a condition that causes a cat to be extra hungry but lose weight. Hyperthyroidism is usually treated well with a medication to lower the thyroid levels.

Another possibility is kidney disease. While we don't have a cure for kidney disease there are certain things that can be done to help him.

Diabetes is possible as well, and treatable. But this is less common in an older animal.

Unfortunately cancer is a possibility as well. However, my experience is that most animals with cancer do not eat well.

Hopefully he can have a checkup soon!

Sterile nodular panniculitis? Hi, My dog has a patch of nodules on his neck. I took him to our normal vet five... (30119 views)

Grief after dog passed away. I recently lost my 13 year old German Shepherd mix. She is my first dog. My... (7112 views)

Painful defecation. Hello again Dr. Marie I had contacted you just awhile ago about my cat Linus and... (5025 views)

Possible autoimmune disease. Hi, My dog is currently under vetrinarian care but he has a problem that my... (8924 views)

Lumps all over body. Hello, I have a 6 year old italian grey hound. Before he was very very active and... (31237 views)

Fleas, pale nose and sick. My cat Ava has lost alomot all of her hair and so much weight i can see her hip... (5113 views)

Lethargic kitten after spay. My kitten is around five minths old. She was spayed on July 23rd ish. Since her... (14713 views)

Rottweiler can't stand. Hello, We have a 13 year old Rott who was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine. ... (28791 views)

Blood in urine after bladder surgery Hello again Dr. Marie. My dog had bladder surgery on Monday. To make a long story... (19747 views)

White spot on dog's nose. sadie has a white spot below her nose right in the middle of the muzzle i can't tell... (33431 views)