Golden Retriever puppy diarrhea.

Breed: Golden
Dr,

All of a sudden last Sunday my 8 week old male Golden had two large stools once per hour, then his 3rd stool started to get soft with liquid at the end.

I brought him to the clinic. He tested negative for parvo and for worms. They prescribed .5 ml metronidazole BID ending today.

By Monday morning stools were back to normal. They have been normal up until now.

10 minutes ago he had a normal solid stool. Then less than a minute later, had a mushy-soft stool.

He stays indoors all the time and has no access to other dogs.

His activity level is high and appetite good. Any ideas?

Jay

Hi Jay and thanks for your question!

Soft stools are unfortunately a common problem in puppies. It sounds like your vet is doing all of the same things I would do. The first step I usually take is to check a fecal sample for parasites and then if I don't find anything I will usually do a course of 5 days of metronidazole.

The metronidazole is an antibiotic but it also has properties that help with inflammation in the bowels.

I have a few puppy patients in my clinic right now that have very similar symptoms where they get better for a while and then have diarrhea again.

The first thing I usually do is repeat a fecal exam. Some parasites will go through stages where they don't shed eggs and we don't see them in the fecal.

I would likely also cover him with a broad spectrum dewormer such as fenbendazole (panacur) which is a prescription medication that is good for getting some of the uncommon parasites.

I may also recommend putting him on a bland food such as medi-cal/IVD gastro or Hill's i/d.

If this doesn't work then I usually recommend sending away stool to the lab to do a diarrhea panel. Our lab does a series of DNA tests on stool which tell us about certain types of bacterial problems and viruses.

Has he had any new food or new treats lately? There are some dogs who are super sensitive to any change in diet and this could be the culprit.

Another possible treatment that would be less expensive than doing all of the above tests is to ask your vet if he could simply have another course of metronidazole. Sometimes this works as well.

I hope everything clears up soon!

Cyst on dog? My toy rat terrier chiuaua mix has a clear bumpy thing on her side just below her... (5815 views)

Dog with ear problem. Icleaned my dogs ears with a Q tip and may have hurt his ear drum. I cannot go to a... (11823 views)

Drinking more and thirsty LILI, 7.5 YRS OLD, HAS STARTED WETTING HER BED AND SHE HAS AN UNENDING THIRST AND... (13740 views)

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (15288 views)

Sick hamster or hibernating. Please help ! My hamster is not moving now but it is breathing.. I am not sure about... (15983 views)

Risks of liver biopsy? Good morning Dr. Marie! Remember me? From last month with Oreo's bile acid test... (21236 views)

Are brewers grains safe for dogs? Are brewers grains safe for dogs? My husband wants to buy some dog treats that are... (5832 views)

Will one grape hurt my dog? (104217 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (18560 views)

Bloated abdomen in hamster. Hi....our pet hamster buddy is extremely bloated. We have had him for a year and a... (75448 views)