Golden Retriever puppy diarrhea.

Breed: Golden
Dr,

All of a sudden last Sunday my 8 week old male Golden had two large stools once per hour, then his 3rd stool started to get soft with liquid at the end.

I brought him to the clinic. He tested negative for parvo and for worms. They prescribed .5 ml metronidazole BID ending today.

By Monday morning stools were back to normal. They have been normal up until now.

10 minutes ago he had a normal solid stool. Then less than a minute later, had a mushy-soft stool.

He stays indoors all the time and has no access to other dogs.

His activity level is high and appetite good. Any ideas?

Jay

Hi Jay and thanks for your question!

Soft stools are unfortunately a common problem in puppies. It sounds like your vet is doing all of the same things I would do. The first step I usually take is to check a fecal sample for parasites and then if I don't find anything I will usually do a course of 5 days of metronidazole.

The metronidazole is an antibiotic but it also has properties that help with inflammation in the bowels.

I have a few puppy patients in my clinic right now that have very similar symptoms where they get better for a while and then have diarrhea again.

The first thing I usually do is repeat a fecal exam. Some parasites will go through stages where they don't shed eggs and we don't see them in the fecal.

I would likely also cover him with a broad spectrum dewormer such as fenbendazole (panacur) which is a prescription medication that is good for getting some of the uncommon parasites.

I may also recommend putting him on a bland food such as medi-cal/IVD gastro or Hill's i/d.

If this doesn't work then I usually recommend sending away stool to the lab to do a diarrhea panel. Our lab does a series of DNA tests on stool which tell us about certain types of bacterial problems and viruses.

Has he had any new food or new treats lately? There are some dogs who are super sensitive to any change in diet and this could be the culprit.

Another possible treatment that would be less expensive than doing all of the above tests is to ask your vet if he could simply have another course of metronidazole. Sometimes this works as well.

I hope everything clears up soon!

Extreme chattering. Hello my senior dog/male neutered/mutt (not sure how old..in the teens) has a... (16791 views)

Too aggressive petting? My cat enjoys having his bum smacked over and over. Hard. He's neutered male - he... (15192 views)

Dog is walking funny, I have a 14 year old dog. About a year ago he lost most of his hearing. About 2... (44981 views)

Meowing all the time? pain? Hi Dr. Marie Our cat has a virus infection and is on medication, and an eye drops.... (7118 views)

Swollen muzzle in cat. Hello, I gave my cat food this morning and when she went to eat it, she made this... (8851 views)

Walking on tip toes. my dog got hit with a car about 4 months ago she suffered no broken bones but when... (10292 views)

Sores on dog's leg. My dog recently got theses two sores on her back leg, one bigger than the other. Its... (8483 views)

Ear swollen like balloon. My dog has a large swelling on her ear that looks like a balloon. She is shaking... (26082 views)

Does my cat have feline leukemia? have a 6 year old female cat with up to date FeLV and FIV vaccinations. She has the... (4754 views)

Dog licking paws On Wednesday I noticed Max was licking his right rear paw. Last Saturday he had a... (64249 views)