Golden Retriever puppy diarrhea.

Breed: Golden
Dr,

All of a sudden last Sunday my 8 week old male Golden had two large stools once per hour, then his 3rd stool started to get soft with liquid at the end.

I brought him to the clinic. He tested negative for parvo and for worms. They prescribed .5 ml metronidazole BID ending today.

By Monday morning stools were back to normal. They have been normal up until now.

10 minutes ago he had a normal solid stool. Then less than a minute later, had a mushy-soft stool.

He stays indoors all the time and has no access to other dogs.

His activity level is high and appetite good. Any ideas?

Jay

Hi Jay and thanks for your question!

Soft stools are unfortunately a common problem in puppies. It sounds like your vet is doing all of the same things I would do. The first step I usually take is to check a fecal sample for parasites and then if I don't find anything I will usually do a course of 5 days of metronidazole.

The metronidazole is an antibiotic but it also has properties that help with inflammation in the bowels.

I have a few puppy patients in my clinic right now that have very similar symptoms where they get better for a while and then have diarrhea again.

The first thing I usually do is repeat a fecal exam. Some parasites will go through stages where they don't shed eggs and we don't see them in the fecal.

I would likely also cover him with a broad spectrum dewormer such as fenbendazole (panacur) which is a prescription medication that is good for getting some of the uncommon parasites.

I may also recommend putting him on a bland food such as medi-cal/IVD gastro or Hill's i/d.

If this doesn't work then I usually recommend sending away stool to the lab to do a diarrhea panel. Our lab does a series of DNA tests on stool which tell us about certain types of bacterial problems and viruses.

Has he had any new food or new treats lately? There are some dogs who are super sensitive to any change in diet and this could be the culprit.

Another possible treatment that would be less expensive than doing all of the above tests is to ask your vet if he could simply have another course of metronidazole. Sometimes this works as well.

I hope everything clears up soon!

Joint pain in a dog. Hello my dog Menew, is a Akita/husky he is 15 years old and has arthrities, some... (14325 views)

Robaxin and Metacam. Rocky has been having back pain for over a week now. He's had this problem before... (17485 views)

Run over by car. we have a small part pomeranian dog, she old, but not sure how old. she was... (10507 views)

Bladder stones again. Hi there My cat had 100% blockage of urethra in Sept 2009, and underwent PU... (11170 views)

Dog died at the vet's A couple weeks ago I noticed our dog Gauge was straining to urinate but couldnt. I... (8573 views)

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (19010 views)

Stimulus sensitive seizures. Hello, My dog is part pomerainean and part something else. He is about 25lbs. He is... (18555 views)

Lethargic after Trifexis. Hello, Thank you for your help. My beagle, Daisy (25 lbs), ate her dose of... (24622 views)

Female dog humping. My female pit bull everyday, anytime I lay down on my couch or bed, she jumps up on... (8491 views)

Is my cat in heat? i have a female cat who is 1 1/2 years old she isn't spayed and has gone in heat... (9439 views)