Suddenly jumps up.

Breed: Sheltie Daschund mix
I have a dauschund and sheltie mix dog. He's about 3 years old. I've had him for 2 years now. Past few weeks while lying down or half asleep he will suddenly jump up and run away. It's almost like his life depends upon it, if he's sleeping on me he literally digs his nails into me and jumps off.
He's quite responsive, if I call him he comes right back. he doesn't howl or shake or bite or anything, just suddely jumps up like his life depends upon and runs into the other room. No particular time of day, only when he's resting or half asleep. If I try to hold him he struggles till he's free and jumps down. can't figure out what' going on. He's on sentinel so it should keep the worms out also.
No issues with his health, take him to the park a few times a week for a good run.

The most common reason I see for dogs to do this is if they need to have their anal glands expressed. These dogs will sometimes occasionally get some sort of uncomfortable feeling that makes them jump.

I have seen dogs with fleas do this as well. If your dog is on sentinel, then he's not likely to have a major flea problem, but can still have one or two live fleas.

And the final possibility I can think of is if the dog has something called lumbosacral syndrome. This is arthritis pain where the tail meets the body. It's not common in a small, young dog though.

If it continues, a visit to the vet is probably a great idea!

Vaccinate against parvo? Chester is about 10 weeks he was a stray he now has Parvo but I think recovering at... (6481 views)

Gerbil's head exploded. We have had two gerbils for a couple of years but last night one of there heads... (17256 views)

Dog is limping. Denaro has had a limp in his left front leg for about a month, it goes from a... (16439 views)

Yorkie not eating much food. My yorkie-poo rarely eats. He is currently eating instinct. He eats about 1/2 cup... (7649 views)

Very thirsty kitten. Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl... (12843 views)

Aggressive with food. Dear Dr. Marie: My husband and I adopted our kitten, Tigger, last April, so we've... (5814 views)

My cat's eye is foggy. Hello, My cat Paisley is 10 months old and her eye is foggy, her ears and nose are... (10060 views)

Painful erection My 9 month old dog, Jack, has been getting erections that last up to about 10... (25353 views)

Fleas, pale nose and sick. My cat Ava has lost alomot all of her hair and so much weight i can see her hip... (6259 views)

Horrible euthanasia experience Why was my pets euthanasia a nightmare? I brought my cat Jack in for euthanasia... (10819 views)