Suddenly jumps up.

Breed: Sheltie Daschund mix
I have a dauschund and sheltie mix dog. He's about 3 years old. I've had him for 2 years now. Past few weeks while lying down or half asleep he will suddenly jump up and run away. It's almost like his life depends upon it, if he's sleeping on me he literally digs his nails into me and jumps off.
He's quite responsive, if I call him he comes right back. he doesn't howl or shake or bite or anything, just suddely jumps up like his life depends upon and runs into the other room. No particular time of day, only when he's resting or half asleep. If I try to hold him he struggles till he's free and jumps down. can't figure out what' going on. He's on sentinel so it should keep the worms out also.
No issues with his health, take him to the park a few times a week for a good run.

The most common reason I see for dogs to do this is if they need to have their anal glands expressed. These dogs will sometimes occasionally get some sort of uncomfortable feeling that makes them jump.

I have seen dogs with fleas do this as well. If your dog is on sentinel, then he's not likely to have a major flea problem, but can still have one or two live fleas.

And the final possibility I can think of is if the dog has something called lumbosacral syndrome. This is arthritis pain where the tail meets the body. It's not common in a small, young dog though.

If it continues, a visit to the vet is probably a great idea!

Dog with back problems. I know it's log winded, but I wanted to include all the information... (18948 views)

Bump on dog's ear. Hi Dr. Marie My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2... (62356 views)

Bump on cat's ear. Hello, I have found a red bump inside of my cat's ear, it is semi-soft and feels... (22030 views)

Euthanized dog with megaesophagus. 3 days ago we had to put our dear dog Bailey to sleep:( he was diognosed with... (10880 views)

Why is my dog limping? hello we have just woke up this morning and found my american bulldog limping on his... (39770 views)

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (10223 views)

Does fampridine help with spinal cord trauma? Has there been any success, or even attempt, at treating paralysis in cats using... (11495 views)

Dog with swollen shoulder. There is something wrong with one side of my dogs shoulder. It looks swollen but if... (18044 views)

dead skin on wound My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under... (29861 views)

Bloated stomach in Papillion. my dog had a bloated stomach and had trouble going to the bathroom and the next day... (24308 views)