Suddenly jumps up.

Breed: Sheltie Daschund mix
I have a dauschund and sheltie mix dog. He's about 3 years old. I've had him for 2 years now. Past few weeks while lying down or half asleep he will suddenly jump up and run away. It's almost like his life depends upon it, if he's sleeping on me he literally digs his nails into me and jumps off.
He's quite responsive, if I call him he comes right back. he doesn't howl or shake or bite or anything, just suddely jumps up like his life depends upon and runs into the other room. No particular time of day, only when he's resting or half asleep. If I try to hold him he struggles till he's free and jumps down. can't figure out what' going on. He's on sentinel so it should keep the worms out also.
No issues with his health, take him to the park a few times a week for a good run.

The most common reason I see for dogs to do this is if they need to have their anal glands expressed. These dogs will sometimes occasionally get some sort of uncomfortable feeling that makes them jump.

I have seen dogs with fleas do this as well. If your dog is on sentinel, then he's not likely to have a major flea problem, but can still have one or two live fleas.

And the final possibility I can think of is if the dog has something called lumbosacral syndrome. This is arthritis pain where the tail meets the body. It's not common in a small, young dog though.

If it continues, a visit to the vet is probably a great idea!

White spot on eyelid. King (3 years old) as far back as I can remember has had a tiny area (1/8 inch) on... (28007 views)

Too small for spay? My cat is really small, about nine ten pounds,is it safe to get her... (7392 views)

Spinning on bum. my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins... (43743 views)

When to put down older dog. I know my dog is on the way out, she has cataracts, hearing is dim, legs are shaky,... (6158 views)

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (24199 views)

Large mammary glands. Our dog is a black + tan kelpie and has just had her first litter of puppies, six in... (10350 views)

Itchy cat. My cat is male, age 5 and generally very healthy. A while ago I noticed him biting... (7717 views)

Older cat with diarrhea Gizzy has Diarrhea most all the time and it smells really bad She used to throw up... (10090 views)

Dog eats grapes. Hi. I live in rural Peru and have three dogs. I am writing regarding the oldest who... (5681 views)

Epsom salt vs table salt. hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the... (15486 views)