Suddenly jumps up.

Breed: Sheltie Daschund mix
I have a dauschund and sheltie mix dog. He's about 3 years old. I've had him for 2 years now. Past few weeks while lying down or half asleep he will suddenly jump up and run away. It's almost like his life depends upon it, if he's sleeping on me he literally digs his nails into me and jumps off.
He's quite responsive, if I call him he comes right back. he doesn't howl or shake or bite or anything, just suddely jumps up like his life depends upon and runs into the other room. No particular time of day, only when he's resting or half asleep. If I try to hold him he struggles till he's free and jumps down. can't figure out what' going on. He's on sentinel so it should keep the worms out also.
No issues with his health, take him to the park a few times a week for a good run.

The most common reason I see for dogs to do this is if they need to have their anal glands expressed. These dogs will sometimes occasionally get some sort of uncomfortable feeling that makes them jump.

I have seen dogs with fleas do this as well. If your dog is on sentinel, then he's not likely to have a major flea problem, but can still have one or two live fleas.

And the final possibility I can think of is if the dog has something called lumbosacral syndrome. This is arthritis pain where the tail meets the body. It's not common in a small, young dog though.

If it continues, a visit to the vet is probably a great idea!

Vomiting after eating. My cat will vomit after eating several times a week. She will also 'leak' or 'drip'... (24382 views)

Is my dog pregnant? hi i have mated my yorkshire terrier last thursday she mated for 20 minutes and tied... (14106 views)

How often to bathe a dog? I have a black lab that just turned 4. She has relatively short hair, how often... (8035 views)

Cat itchy on neck. Recently my cat has been scratching in the area just below her neck at the top of... (9804 views)

Type of clippers? I need to know what kind or brand of trimmer to use on my rough coat Collie. Tried... (10284 views)

Bloody diarrhea. Hi Marie its 630 and there is no open vet or petstore/grooming in site =( then i... (48771 views)

Euthanasia for older cat. I euthanized my cat on Friday, and I regret it so badly. He was 14 1/2 years old,... (8836 views)

cat with bald belly Dr Marie, My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is... (9718 views)

Dog's eye blue and purple. hi my dog annebell has a giant blister in eye yesterday it was small so i didnt... (12852 views)

Muscle atrophy in a cat. Its been two weeks since my 13 yr old cat, Sweety, has been unable to walk and the 4... (23844 views)