Cat died after surgery.

Breed: american shorthair
my 4yr old cat had a puncture wound to the abdomen. 2 vets evaluated him. Gave him clavamox 1ml 2xs a day and butorphnol 1mg, 2-3xs a day. Started meds for two days then took him for a 3rd consult for surgery due to the price. 3rd consult did his bloodwork and said he was fine just that he had a heart murmor. 3 days into when th wound occurred they did surgry. Surgery went fine they prescribed the exact ml and medicine noted above. A day and a half later my cat couldn't stand. I took him back they said he was in shock. I had to put him down. I asked for his medical records and it shows that his WBC was high at 17.6, his MCHC were low at 28.7 and his platlets were low 110. This bloodwork was prior to surgery. Should the vet have done the surgery knowing he had an obvious infection??? The other two consults gave him Clavamox just in case he had an infection and said the surgery could wait a week or so, that it wasn't vital if they bandaged him up.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that you had to put Midnight down after this difficult experience.

From what you have told me, it sounds like the vets did everything right. The increase in white blood cells is minor and this increase would be expected with any type of inflammation. A low MCHC is not significant unless there is significant anemia (low red blood cell count).

The platelet count of 110 is only slightly lower than normal. We will commonly see a slightly low platelet count if there is a small blood clot in the sample when it is taken, which happens commonly.

Given this bloodwork and a cat with an infected wound I would have no hesitation in going ahead with surgery.

It's hard to say why Midnight went in to shock. It may be that the puncture had caused a serious infection inside his abdomen.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Dog sick after eating apricots. Yesterday I found Poppy and my other Aussie eating apricots from the neighbors... (22794 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur in kitten. I raise and show Devon Rexes. I have a litter of 6 kittens that were 8 weeks old... (12481 views)

Why do dogs eat grass? I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has... (16645 views)

Missed vaccines. My dog is approximatley 4 years old and hasnt had any injections since she was... (6281 views)

Black spot on Hamster's skin. my hamster has a black spot under his hair.should he have this?????????????. he is a... (20434 views)

Jaundiced dog. Hi, I have an 8yr old female labrador that on the 30th December, 2013 evening... (17373 views)

Can dogs get tetanus? My dog got her paw caught in an animal trap this evening. She is walking around... (29914 views)

Cat doesn't want to move. My cats bio: July was infested with fleas. Took two months to totally rid them from... (7632 views)

Limping dog. Hello, My dog is a GS mix - she is just over 1 yr old and weighs approx. 70 lbs. ... (21732 views)

Protein in urine. Hi, My Yorkie is 12 and had smelly pee starting in September 2010. I took a sample... (11851 views)