Cat died after surgery.

Breed: american shorthair
my 4yr old cat had a puncture wound to the abdomen. 2 vets evaluated him. Gave him clavamox 1ml 2xs a day and butorphnol 1mg, 2-3xs a day. Started meds for two days then took him for a 3rd consult for surgery due to the price. 3rd consult did his bloodwork and said he was fine just that he had a heart murmor. 3 days into when th wound occurred they did surgry. Surgery went fine they prescribed the exact ml and medicine noted above. A day and a half later my cat couldn't stand. I took him back they said he was in shock. I had to put him down. I asked for his medical records and it shows that his WBC was high at 17.6, his MCHC were low at 28.7 and his platlets were low 110. This bloodwork was prior to surgery. Should the vet have done the surgery knowing he had an obvious infection??? The other two consults gave him Clavamox just in case he had an infection and said the surgery could wait a week or so, that it wasn't vital if they bandaged him up.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that you had to put Midnight down after this difficult experience.

From what you have told me, it sounds like the vets did everything right. The increase in white blood cells is minor and this increase would be expected with any type of inflammation. A low MCHC is not significant unless there is significant anemia (low red blood cell count).

The platelet count of 110 is only slightly lower than normal. We will commonly see a slightly low platelet count if there is a small blood clot in the sample when it is taken, which happens commonly.

Given this bloodwork and a cat with an infected wound I would have no hesitation in going ahead with surgery.

It's hard to say why Midnight went in to shock. It may be that the puncture had caused a serious infection inside his abdomen.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Bengal Cat health questions. please could you read this topic Dr. Marie and answer to help this person? thank you... (9305 views)

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (11007 views)

Black stuff in cat's ears. Hi Dr. Marie. My cat Thelma (who happens to be male and nearly 15) has had an issue... (36012 views)

Will one grape hurt my dog? (109267 views)

Ear problems in a cat. I adopted my cat Fudge from a shelter when he was 9. He came with a host of... (9716 views)

Thinking of getting a malamute. hi, i currently have a malchi. he is part maltese part chihuahua. i have been... (9366 views)

Hartz and Advantage. I gave my cat Hartz one spot flea treatment and it doesnt work grrrr, i gave it on... (9648 views)

Cushing's and diabetes. My dog was diagnosed last month with cushings disease and diabetes. He's up to 14... (16118 views)

Guinea Pig losing hair. My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a... (10914 views)

Swollen glands in neck. 7 year old corgie, swollen glands in neck, possible swelling in abdominal area near... (24972 views)