Cat died after surgery.

Breed: american shorthair
my 4yr old cat had a puncture wound to the abdomen. 2 vets evaluated him. Gave him clavamox 1ml 2xs a day and butorphnol 1mg, 2-3xs a day. Started meds for two days then took him for a 3rd consult for surgery due to the price. 3rd consult did his bloodwork and said he was fine just that he had a heart murmor. 3 days into when th wound occurred they did surgry. Surgery went fine they prescribed the exact ml and medicine noted above. A day and a half later my cat couldn't stand. I took him back they said he was in shock. I had to put him down. I asked for his medical records and it shows that his WBC was high at 17.6, his MCHC were low at 28.7 and his platlets were low 110. This bloodwork was prior to surgery. Should the vet have done the surgery knowing he had an obvious infection??? The other two consults gave him Clavamox just in case he had an infection and said the surgery could wait a week or so, that it wasn't vital if they bandaged him up.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that you had to put Midnight down after this difficult experience.

From what you have told me, it sounds like the vets did everything right. The increase in white blood cells is minor and this increase would be expected with any type of inflammation. A low MCHC is not significant unless there is significant anemia (low red blood cell count).

The platelet count of 110 is only slightly lower than normal. We will commonly see a slightly low platelet count if there is a small blood clot in the sample when it is taken, which happens commonly.

Given this bloodwork and a cat with an infected wound I would have no hesitation in going ahead with surgery.

It's hard to say why Midnight went in to shock. It may be that the puncture had caused a serious infection inside his abdomen.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Diarrhea and increased appetite. We found a cat that we have decided to keep. We have had all his shots, Neutered and... (4953 views)

Spots on belly of Golden Retriever. my dog recently had dirty brown spots on her stomach when i touch them or wash them... (14587 views)

Clavaseptin and diarrhea. My puppy recently had to spend a night at the vet, we are pretty sure he just ate... (14341 views)

Interview tips for veterinary technicians. I actually had a question not related to a pet, if that is okay. What advice would... (5969 views)

Bengal leg weakness. Rebel has had some undiagnosed rear end lameness and weakness intermitantly since... (8647 views)

Brian tumor? Two months ago, my dog had his first seizure ever. He was taking Gabapentin (disc... (5855 views)

Maggots in guinea pig cage. Dr. Marie, I found maggots in my guinea pig cage today. what should I do? They seem... (19611 views)

Swollen face after tooth removal. Two months ago, Chuck (our elderly dog who's become more and more aggressive when... (24209 views)

Diabetic cat problems. ivay is a diabetic last blood test 3 weeks ago was 21 he has gained 5 lbs since jan... (4923 views)

Problems with Rimadyl? she seems to have paralysis of her front left paw. she can not stand on her own and... (22010 views)