Cat died after surgery.

Breed: american shorthair
my 4yr old cat had a puncture wound to the abdomen. 2 vets evaluated him. Gave him clavamox 1ml 2xs a day and butorphnol 1mg, 2-3xs a day. Started meds for two days then took him for a 3rd consult for surgery due to the price. 3rd consult did his bloodwork and said he was fine just that he had a heart murmor. 3 days into when th wound occurred they did surgry. Surgery went fine they prescribed the exact ml and medicine noted above. A day and a half later my cat couldn't stand. I took him back they said he was in shock. I had to put him down. I asked for his medical records and it shows that his WBC was high at 17.6, his MCHC were low at 28.7 and his platlets were low 110. This bloodwork was prior to surgery. Should the vet have done the surgery knowing he had an obvious infection??? The other two consults gave him Clavamox just in case he had an infection and said the surgery could wait a week or so, that it wasn't vital if they bandaged him up.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that you had to put Midnight down after this difficult experience.

From what you have told me, it sounds like the vets did everything right. The increase in white blood cells is minor and this increase would be expected with any type of inflammation. A low MCHC is not significant unless there is significant anemia (low red blood cell count).

The platelet count of 110 is only slightly lower than normal. We will commonly see a slightly low platelet count if there is a small blood clot in the sample when it is taken, which happens commonly.

Given this bloodwork and a cat with an infected wound I would have no hesitation in going ahead with surgery.

It's hard to say why Midnight went in to shock. It may be that the puncture had caused a serious infection inside his abdomen.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Stress from travel. Hello, I have a question about my cat. He is 3 years old and he arrived in the UK... (4756 views)

Brain tumor or epilepsy? Hi Dr. Marie I have a yellow lab named Sam He experienced seizures twice... (10710 views)

Rapid breathing in sleep. My 8 week old puppy breathes very rapidly whenever she falls asleep like she is out... (115312 views)

Cat howls at night time. Hi - Rusty is almost 15 yrs. and meows and howls at night. Basically, he throws a... (21487 views)

Dog pees on the furniture. Rusty is a reserve rescue dog we have had since this summer. He is an absolute joy... (7610 views)

Hair loss in patches. Hi we live in a remote community up near Darwin in Australia. Four weeks ago we took... (9532 views)

Puppy breathing hard. Tucker is only 8 weeks old, I can't get his needles until this Tues. I think he has... (13834 views)

Can rabbits carry rabies? I am wondering what the chances of a baby wild rabbit having rabies is. The baby is... (16966 views)

Drinking more and thirsty LILI, 7.5 YRS OLD, HAS STARTED WETTING HER BED AND SHE HAS AN UNENDING THIRST AND... (15152 views)

Is my cat pregnant? we just opened our home to a female stray cat. i estimated her to be a year old or... (9864 views)