Cat died after surgery.

Breed: american shorthair
my 4yr old cat had a puncture wound to the abdomen. 2 vets evaluated him. Gave him clavamox 1ml 2xs a day and butorphnol 1mg, 2-3xs a day. Started meds for two days then took him for a 3rd consult for surgery due to the price. 3rd consult did his bloodwork and said he was fine just that he had a heart murmor. 3 days into when th wound occurred they did surgry. Surgery went fine they prescribed the exact ml and medicine noted above. A day and a half later my cat couldn't stand. I took him back they said he was in shock. I had to put him down. I asked for his medical records and it shows that his WBC was high at 17.6, his MCHC were low at 28.7 and his platlets were low 110. This bloodwork was prior to surgery. Should the vet have done the surgery knowing he had an obvious infection??? The other two consults gave him Clavamox just in case he had an infection and said the surgery could wait a week or so, that it wasn't vital if they bandaged him up.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that you had to put Midnight down after this difficult experience.

From what you have told me, it sounds like the vets did everything right. The increase in white blood cells is minor and this increase would be expected with any type of inflammation. A low MCHC is not significant unless there is significant anemia (low red blood cell count).

The platelet count of 110 is only slightly lower than normal. We will commonly see a slightly low platelet count if there is a small blood clot in the sample when it is taken, which happens commonly.

Given this bloodwork and a cat with an infected wound I would have no hesitation in going ahead with surgery.

It's hard to say why Midnight went in to shock. It may be that the puncture had caused a serious infection inside his abdomen.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Jack Russel skin problems. My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald... (18595 views)

Palliative care vs. euthanasia? Hello. First let me say that this turned out to be long and probably rambling. ... (14088 views)

Lyme vaccine and testing. Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then... (14286 views)

Surgery or rest for CCL tear. Dear Dr. Marie, My dog often limping recently and i've brought her to see a vet in... (10778 views)

Painful erection My 9 month old dog, Jack, has been getting erections that last up to about 10... (27280 views)

Possible cherry eye? My dog has red bags coming up from under his lower eye lids and covering half his... (9316 views)

Vomited dewormer. I took Tommy to get his 12wk shots at Petco. He was given a yellow oral medicine not... (8459 views)

Unexplained fever in a dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My pit bull Indy has always been in pretty good health but has... (11358 views)

Diabetic cat diet. Hi, I am the owner of two siamese cats (female) from same litter - 11.5 years old.... (14555 views)

Red sores in front of cat's ear. Hi Dr. Haynes Thank you for offering this service and reviewing my question. My... (63575 views)