Feeding sardines.

Breed: Maltese
I have a male Maltese which I have owned for 4 years, he was a rescue dog so his exact age isn't known but he is approx. 10yrs.

he has always had "itchy" skin and we have restricted his food etc to see if it is an allergy..

Recently I have started feeding him sardines with his food on a daily basis as I have heard that the oils are beneficial for their coat and can assist with flaky itchy skin.

I was wanting to know is this correct and if feeding them to him daily is too much?? His skin doesn't seem to have changed if anything he is chewing himself around the feet and leg area even more....I know that could be seasonal or a reaction to something that is growing this time of year?? I realise it is hard to diagnose not seeing the dog and I will return to my vet, really I just want to know about feeding him the sardines...he loves them!!!

Thanks for your question!

I don't see a problem with feeding sardines each day. The idea of feeding sardines is to increase the amount of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids in the diet which is helpful for coat quality. However, what I don't know is how many sardines would need to be consumed in order to be beneficial and how many could potentially be too much.

I just did a search through some veterinary archives however, and could not find any information on animals becoming ill from eating sardines.

If Sargie has a food allergy it will take a good 3-6 weeks of eating a hypoallergenic food to see if there is going to be a difference. When you say you are "restricting his food" if this is just cutting out treats this is good. But, even better would be to have him on a prescription hypoallergenic diet and nothing else.

It is definitely possible that his allergies are environmental rather than food. This is actually more common. Unfortunately most dogs with seasonal allergies do need some help in the form of mild steroids.

I hope he feels more comfortable soon!

Dog has sore muscles. About 3 months ago, Ruby stopped jumping and running, she seems to be in pain when... (13024 views)

Is clostridium zoonotic? Clostridium Type A has been known to cause sudden death in healthy deer but it has... (10967 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea every two weeks. I adopted my yorkiepoo from a local shelter in 12/2012. From that time until a few... (13962 views)

Vomiting bile. My dog has been throwing up all day, and all though the night. The throw up is... (43940 views)

Rimadyl and kidney problems. On November 24 2010, Trixie got into the neighbors trash. She was vomiting and had... (24681 views)

Bloddy vaginal discharge in a cat. My cat is bleeding from her vagina, she is not spayed and we don't believe she is... (10751 views)

Swollen ear flap. i have a dog named shiloh and something is wrong with his ear and i just need to... (14263 views)

Children's shampoo for dog? okay so my sister used a kids brand of shampoo for my new puppy who is 6 weeks old... (16100 views)

Too young for euthanasia? Is there an age too young for... (7722 views)

Thumping back legs. My cat started throwing up Sunday. Yesterday he started thumping his back feet and... (29445 views)