Feeding sardines.

Breed: Maltese
I have a male Maltese which I have owned for 4 years, he was a rescue dog so his exact age isn't known but he is approx. 10yrs.

he has always had "itchy" skin and we have restricted his food etc to see if it is an allergy..

Recently I have started feeding him sardines with his food on a daily basis as I have heard that the oils are beneficial for their coat and can assist with flaky itchy skin.

I was wanting to know is this correct and if feeding them to him daily is too much?? His skin doesn't seem to have changed if anything he is chewing himself around the feet and leg area even more....I know that could be seasonal or a reaction to something that is growing this time of year?? I realise it is hard to diagnose not seeing the dog and I will return to my vet, really I just want to know about feeding him the sardines...he loves them!!!

Thanks for your question!

I don't see a problem with feeding sardines each day. The idea of feeding sardines is to increase the amount of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids in the diet which is helpful for coat quality. However, what I don't know is how many sardines would need to be consumed in order to be beneficial and how many could potentially be too much.

I just did a search through some veterinary archives however, and could not find any information on animals becoming ill from eating sardines.

If Sargie has a food allergy it will take a good 3-6 weeks of eating a hypoallergenic food to see if there is going to be a difference. When you say you are "restricting his food" if this is just cutting out treats this is good. But, even better would be to have him on a prescription hypoallergenic diet and nothing else.

It is definitely possible that his allergies are environmental rather than food. This is actually more common. Unfortunately most dogs with seasonal allergies do need some help in the form of mild steroids.

I hope he feels more comfortable soon!

Discolored fur around mouth. I have a Westie , 4 years old , the fur around his mouth has become redish pink... (14604 views)

Peeing in the house. I would like a REAL solution to this, without the standard answers or suggestions(... (10271 views)

Bladder stone surgery. I just returned from the vet where my dog still is. It was discovered through... (24144 views)

Laser pointers for cats and dogs? Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or... (13965 views)

Only one bowel movement. My 2 month old shih tzu only poops in the morning. He eats dog food soaked in water... (11527 views)

Tea Tree Oil Toxicity. Tea tree oil extract was put on the neck and spine of the dog for flea prevention. ... (18249 views)

Did cherry eye surgery fail? My 10 month old baby boy, ralphie, just had a cherry eye surgery yesterday. this... (26095 views)

Does my dog have rabies? How likely in your experience will my puppy get rabies if one of her litter mates... (10088 views)

Dog is leaking urine. We have a 4yr old female boxer/german shepherd mix who seems to be "leaking" a lot... (11516 views)

Epsom salt vs table salt. hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the... (18887 views)