Feeding sardines.

Breed: Maltese
I have a male Maltese which I have owned for 4 years, he was a rescue dog so his exact age isn't known but he is approx. 10yrs.

he has always had "itchy" skin and we have restricted his food etc to see if it is an allergy..

Recently I have started feeding him sardines with his food on a daily basis as I have heard that the oils are beneficial for their coat and can assist with flaky itchy skin.

I was wanting to know is this correct and if feeding them to him daily is too much?? His skin doesn't seem to have changed if anything he is chewing himself around the feet and leg area even more....I know that could be seasonal or a reaction to something that is growing this time of year?? I realise it is hard to diagnose not seeing the dog and I will return to my vet, really I just want to know about feeding him the sardines...he loves them!!!

Thanks for your question!

I don't see a problem with feeding sardines each day. The idea of feeding sardines is to increase the amount of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids in the diet which is helpful for coat quality. However, what I don't know is how many sardines would need to be consumed in order to be beneficial and how many could potentially be too much.

I just did a search through some veterinary archives however, and could not find any information on animals becoming ill from eating sardines.

If Sargie has a food allergy it will take a good 3-6 weeks of eating a hypoallergenic food to see if there is going to be a difference. When you say you are "restricting his food" if this is just cutting out treats this is good. But, even better would be to have him on a prescription hypoallergenic diet and nothing else.

It is definitely possible that his allergies are environmental rather than food. This is actually more common. Unfortunately most dogs with seasonal allergies do need some help in the form of mild steroids.

I hope he feels more comfortable soon!

How to make cat urinate. is there something we can put in her food to make her... (9232 views)

Golden retriever coughing. This weekend I was dog sitting for my dad's three dogs while he was out of town.... (12710 views)

Older cat missing litter box. My 18 year old male cat is getting into the liter box and urinating on the floor... (17567 views)

Hair loss in hamster I have a syrian hamster which is about two and a half years old. He as been losing... (8507 views)

Dog leaking urine. Aud is 5 year old black mini poodle. The past 3 days she is leaking urine. She is... (22459 views)

Cat straining and in pain. Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if... (30145 views)

Recessed vulva I have a customer that claims the dog she bought from me has perivulvar pyoderma. ... (29896 views)

Ectopic ureter or pelvic bladder? My dog ziggy is almost a year old. I got him at 6 months. He has a urination... (41551 views)

Hungry and losing weight. hi our cat is scrounging for food 24hrs a day even if he has just eaten. we dont... (8461 views)

Heartworm in a puppy? I recently sold an 11 week old pomeranian on January 24, 2010 due to allergies. I... (14421 views)