Feeding sardines.

Breed: Maltese
I have a male Maltese which I have owned for 4 years, he was a rescue dog so his exact age isn't known but he is approx. 10yrs.

he has always had "itchy" skin and we have restricted his food etc to see if it is an allergy..

Recently I have started feeding him sardines with his food on a daily basis as I have heard that the oils are beneficial for their coat and can assist with flaky itchy skin.

I was wanting to know is this correct and if feeding them to him daily is too much?? His skin doesn't seem to have changed if anything he is chewing himself around the feet and leg area even more....I know that could be seasonal or a reaction to something that is growing this time of year?? I realise it is hard to diagnose not seeing the dog and I will return to my vet, really I just want to know about feeding him the sardines...he loves them!!!

Thanks for your question!

I don't see a problem with feeding sardines each day. The idea of feeding sardines is to increase the amount of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids in the diet which is helpful for coat quality. However, what I don't know is how many sardines would need to be consumed in order to be beneficial and how many could potentially be too much.

I just did a search through some veterinary archives however, and could not find any information on animals becoming ill from eating sardines.

If Sargie has a food allergy it will take a good 3-6 weeks of eating a hypoallergenic food to see if there is going to be a difference. When you say you are "restricting his food" if this is just cutting out treats this is good. But, even better would be to have him on a prescription hypoallergenic diet and nothing else.

It is definitely possible that his allergies are environmental rather than food. This is actually more common. Unfortunately most dogs with seasonal allergies do need some help in the form of mild steroids.

I hope he feels more comfortable soon!

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (9961 views)

Disinfecting dishes. Hello Marie, I am contacting you again to ask a question about a part of my cat... (7465 views)

Very sick dog. Last night I noticed my dog had diarrhea and bad gas, but I thought she was just a... (8745 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (14083 views)

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (3836 views)

Drinking more and thirsty LILI, 7.5 YRS OLD, HAS STARTED WETTING HER BED AND SHE HAS AN UNENDING THIRST AND... (10310 views)

Guinea Pig Pregnancy info. Hi, i bought a guinea pig from a pet store about a month ago and now, i think shes... (10804 views)

Rabbit euthanasia questions. I had my bunny put down due to a spinal injury. The vet said they gave her gas to... (3486 views)

Horrible euthanasia. Lucy has had steroid injections for the last 18 months due to loss of fur and skin... (2992 views)

Rabbit thymoma? Okay. Hi. I'm very concerned about my bun. I have gone to the vet twice. The first... (12787 views)