Bald spots on dog

Breed: staffordshire bullte
I have 2 staffordshire bullterriers which are brothers 1 of them has lost a spot of hair on the back top part of his head and the other 1 his fur on his tail has gone a lighter colour than the rest of him, i dont know if this is in the genes but they are still acting like they normally do. I am concerned because if it needs treating i would like to get it sorted asap.

many thanks

ben

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is a sign of demodex. Demodex is a parasite that dogs can be born with. Some dogs have a genetic problem that makes them not be able to fight off demodex.

It is easy for your vet to diagnose demodex by doing a skin scraping.

If this is just one or two spots then I wouldn't be too worried. We don't usually treat demodex if it is just a couple of spots.

But, some dogs will develop something called generalized demodex where the skin gets infected and this can be quite serious.

Of course, there are other possibilities. So, if you see more spots or if they start to get bothersome then a vet visit is the best idea.

Dog with phlegm from mouth hi my dog has thick phlegm like mucus coming out of his mout has seemed ill for the... (44756 views)

Should we put down out cat? Good evening. My 15 year old tabby seems to be in rough shape. He is still... (4808 views)

Dog won't gain weight. Our boy, Zidane, was born May 19, 2009, which makes Zidane almost 18 months old. He... (12558 views)

Introducing kittens. Hi Dr. Marie, My name is Lauren, and I'm from Australia - I hope I haven't woken... (6752 views)

Hill's k/d for bladder stones Nigel developed kidney stones and had surgery to removed them and re-route the... (8220 views)

Bloody pee in dalmatian. what does it mean when his pee has blood in it? what should i do... (8724 views)

Hamster hair loss. Hello, My daughters hamster keeps loosing big patches of his fur and also his eyes... (9884 views)

Strange behavior in cat. Hello. My cat got hit by a car four months ago and had to have his tail... (10331 views)

Dog shaking and limping. Dear Dr: Since yesterday I see that my dog tires to go to the bathrooms and hide.... (10258 views)

Sore leg in 16 year old cat. Hello We have a cat that is about 16 years old. The last couple of days she has... (4845 views)