Bald spots on dog

Breed: staffordshire bullte
I have 2 staffordshire bullterriers which are brothers 1 of them has lost a spot of hair on the back top part of his head and the other 1 his fur on his tail has gone a lighter colour than the rest of him, i dont know if this is in the genes but they are still acting like they normally do. I am concerned because if it needs treating i would like to get it sorted asap.

many thanks

ben

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is a sign of demodex. Demodex is a parasite that dogs can be born with. Some dogs have a genetic problem that makes them not be able to fight off demodex.

It is easy for your vet to diagnose demodex by doing a skin scraping.

If this is just one or two spots then I wouldn't be too worried. We don't usually treat demodex if it is just a couple of spots.

But, some dogs will develop something called generalized demodex where the skin gets infected and this can be quite serious.

Of course, there are other possibilities. So, if you see more spots or if they start to get bothersome then a vet visit is the best idea.

Chin acne. Hi there, My cat came down with a case of feline acne, probably caused by stress,... (11243 views)

Kitten panting. My previous cats lived to be 18 yrs, so it's a long time since I had a young one. ... (7082 views)

Cortisone vs. anti-inflammatory. What is more harmful to the liver, anti-inflammatory medication or Cortisone... (9139 views)

Is clostridium contagious? Can my dog have gotten a c diff infection from being around another dog that had... (17176 views)

Repeated ear infections. Hi! My dog Opie is a five-and-a-half-year-old, male (neutered) red sable... (14073 views)

Is this Pemphigus? My cat Loki is a 4 yr old, neutered male. Over the past 2 years he has been getting... (10975 views)

Crusty ears on a cat. My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of... (29234 views)

Infected spay incision? Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Twiggy had spay surgery 2 days ago. She eats and sleeps... (20733 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (10639 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and worried about my two cats. I know how to avoid... (5997 views)