Bald spots on dog

Breed: staffordshire bullte
I have 2 staffordshire bullterriers which are brothers 1 of them has lost a spot of hair on the back top part of his head and the other 1 his fur on his tail has gone a lighter colour than the rest of him, i dont know if this is in the genes but they are still acting like they normally do. I am concerned because if it needs treating i would like to get it sorted asap.

many thanks

ben

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is a sign of demodex. Demodex is a parasite that dogs can be born with. Some dogs have a genetic problem that makes them not be able to fight off demodex.

It is easy for your vet to diagnose demodex by doing a skin scraping.

If this is just one or two spots then I wouldn't be too worried. We don't usually treat demodex if it is just a couple of spots.

But, some dogs will develop something called generalized demodex where the skin gets infected and this can be quite serious.

Of course, there are other possibilities. So, if you see more spots or if they start to get bothersome then a vet visit is the best idea.

Lesion on cat's neck Hello, My cat had a lesion on his neck, it caused him no obvious pain. I... (8259 views)

Black spots on tongue. Hypothyroidism? My dog seems to have multiple symptoms... Harsh,dry cough, hair falling out in... (6449 views)

Seizure or heart problem? My sister is younger and home alone until tomorrow. She called me freaking out about... (13037 views)

Anemic dog. Hi, I'm really worried about my dog Sammy. He was at the vet a couple of days ago... (9714 views)

Renal lymphoma? my cat just had dental surgery. After about a week I noticed she was still listless... (25641 views)

Skin lesion on gerbil. can you recommend a treatment for what appears to be a hot spot or skin irritation... (7206 views)

How to get a guinea pig to lose weight Hi Dr. Marie: Recently I took my sow guinea pig Squeaky to have her nails trimmed.... (5117 views)

Walking on tip toes. my dog got hit with a car about 4 months ago she suffered no broken bones but when... (10956 views)

Shifting lameness and weight loss. In March, Grayson suddenly started limping on his front left paw. We took him to... (7103 views)

Coughing cat. One of my cats has been hacking a lot the past few days. I have a video I would like... (6185 views)