Bald spots on dog

Breed: staffordshire bullte
I have 2 staffordshire bullterriers which are brothers 1 of them has lost a spot of hair on the back top part of his head and the other 1 his fur on his tail has gone a lighter colour than the rest of him, i dont know if this is in the genes but they are still acting like they normally do. I am concerned because if it needs treating i would like to get it sorted asap.

many thanks

ben

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is a sign of demodex. Demodex is a parasite that dogs can be born with. Some dogs have a genetic problem that makes them not be able to fight off demodex.

It is easy for your vet to diagnose demodex by doing a skin scraping.

If this is just one or two spots then I wouldn't be too worried. We don't usually treat demodex if it is just a couple of spots.

But, some dogs will develop something called generalized demodex where the skin gets infected and this can be quite serious.

Of course, there are other possibilities. So, if you see more spots or if they start to get bothersome then a vet visit is the best idea.

Calcification in the lungs. dog lung calcification Dear Dr.Mari, I hear some bad sounds whenever my dog... (9806 views)

Canine tooth extracted. My cat recently underwent a procedure to remove her broken, upper right canine. It... (9560 views)

Wound on cat. My father's cat Jerry is 3 year old neutered male DSH who is up-to-date on all... (7191 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog Piper, suddenly died today for no apparent reason. She has been... (24776 views)

Dasuquin causing allergies. About 5 months ago, my dog injured his leg during a walk. I took him to the vet &... (16536 views)

First heat cycle in dogs. when do chiuahuahs have their first heat... (11505 views)

Grade 2 mast cell tumor. Hi, I want to adopt a 9yr old female Golden Retrever from this breeder. The breeder... (16833 views)

Vomiting puppy. I know this is a free answer but I love my puppy,dont have a credit card and spent... (12065 views)

Stimulus sensitive seizures. Hello, My dog is part pomerainean and part something else. He is about 25lbs. He is... (22638 views)

Yellow liquid at tip of penis. Every once in a while (maybe twice a week) he will have a yellowish white dot of... (24132 views)