Bald spots on dog

Breed: staffordshire bullte
I have 2 staffordshire bullterriers which are brothers 1 of them has lost a spot of hair on the back top part of his head and the other 1 his fur on his tail has gone a lighter colour than the rest of him, i dont know if this is in the genes but they are still acting like they normally do. I am concerned because if it needs treating i would like to get it sorted asap.

many thanks

ben

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is a sign of demodex. Demodex is a parasite that dogs can be born with. Some dogs have a genetic problem that makes them not be able to fight off demodex.

It is easy for your vet to diagnose demodex by doing a skin scraping.

If this is just one or two spots then I wouldn't be too worried. We don't usually treat demodex if it is just a couple of spots.

But, some dogs will develop something called generalized demodex where the skin gets infected and this can be quite serious.

Of course, there are other possibilities. So, if you see more spots or if they start to get bothersome then a vet visit is the best idea.

Puppy ate Imodium We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to... (20820 views)

Tumor on a guinea pig. Hi Marie, My daughter's 14 month old guinea pig has a tumor with a thick, scaly... (12765 views)

Hypothyroidism in Sheltie. Hi My dog had a thyroid test and the results came back as .8 which he said was low... (7315 views)

Cat losing hair in patches Our cat has started loosing hair in spots. HE is an orange tabby. White spots... (18406 views)

Cat licking his fur. Good evening, My 4 year old tuxedo cat has always been quite special (he meows... (12272 views)

Down in the hock. Hello, About two weeks ago I came home from being away a couple of hours and... (5927 views)

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (6337 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is almost 18 years old and he has kidney disease. He is on a special diet my... (7463 views)

Allergic to greenies? My 11.5 year old pug/griffin mix dog has been having nasal/breathing issues for the... (8102 views)

Possible spleen cancer. About 2 wks ago noticed lack of appetite and lethargy. Took her to the vet who said... (10568 views)