Dog coughing again.

Breed: Shetland Sheepdog
Dear Dr. Marie

Im concerned about my dog he started about a month ago sounding like he was weezing then doing dry heaving im not sure what has caused it. we didn't take him to the vet cause it stopped for a while so we thought it was maybe something he ate that might have upset his stomach but now it started up again and im not really sure what its is I know he has alot off allergies. Any info you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Kerryanne

Sorry to hear that Charlie is having some problems.

There are a few things that can case wheezing and coughing like you have described. Usually, allergies don't cause respiratory symptoms in dogs, although it is possible.

The most common reason for a dog to suddenly start coughing is a virus such as kennel cough. However, this usually lasts a few days to weeks and then goes away. It doesn't usually come back again like you have described.

My next concern would be for his heart. Dogs with heart disease will cough, and usually do more so after exercise. Your vet can have a good listen to his heart and determine if there is a heart murmur and if so they may do some xrays to determine if there is a problem.

Next, some dogs can cough because of asthma. This is more common if there are smokers in the house but can happen without anyone smoking around the dog.

There are many other possible reasons for cough including pneumonia, a fungal infection such as blastomycosis and some parasites.

If this is recurring then I think a vet visit is the best idea.

Hope everything is ok!

Dog with ear problem. Icleaned my dogs ears with a Q tip and may have hurt his ear drum. I cannot go to a... (12474 views)

Trouble waking and dandruff. My male, neutered cat came from the back alley. I can't remember if we initally had... (5142 views)

Fluid filled lumps on ear. My dog has many lumps on her ears that feel like they are fluid filled and sensitive... (10382 views)

Cost to take mouse to vet? About how much would it cost to take a mouse in for a check... (16170 views)

Fontline and Advantix. My I treated my dog with Frontline Plus 2 weeks ago and it's not preventing ticks... (7785 views)

Does Prozac cause diarrhea in dogs? I want to know if continuing diarrhea is a possible side effect of prozac. My dog... (22211 views)

Cat howls at night time. Hi - Rusty is almost 15 yrs. and meows and howls at night. Basically, he throws a... (20807 views)

Crusty cat nipple. My 8 year old male cats nipple was hard and crusty. I pulled it and it came out and... (65845 views)

Swollen foot because of bandage. Hi- My dog recently cut himself and had to get 4 stitches. The day he was to get... (76195 views)

Ivermectin toxicity? Help! I think that I am accidentally poisoning my boy 4 year old by giving him... (15537 views)