Dog coughing again.

Breed: Shetland Sheepdog
Dear Dr. Marie

Im concerned about my dog he started about a month ago sounding like he was weezing then doing dry heaving im not sure what has caused it. we didn't take him to the vet cause it stopped for a while so we thought it was maybe something he ate that might have upset his stomach but now it started up again and im not really sure what its is I know he has alot off allergies. Any info you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Kerryanne

Sorry to hear that Charlie is having some problems.

There are a few things that can case wheezing and coughing like you have described. Usually, allergies don't cause respiratory symptoms in dogs, although it is possible.

The most common reason for a dog to suddenly start coughing is a virus such as kennel cough. However, this usually lasts a few days to weeks and then goes away. It doesn't usually come back again like you have described.

My next concern would be for his heart. Dogs with heart disease will cough, and usually do more so after exercise. Your vet can have a good listen to his heart and determine if there is a heart murmur and if so they may do some xrays to determine if there is a problem.

Next, some dogs can cough because of asthma. This is more common if there are smokers in the house but can happen without anyone smoking around the dog.

There are many other possible reasons for cough including pneumonia, a fungal infection such as blastomycosis and some parasites.

If this is recurring then I think a vet visit is the best idea.

Hope everything is ok!

Cooked garlic safety? I have 2 dogs. An 8 pound shipoo and a 20 pound mini shnauzer. The shipoo has... (7462 views)

Sore tail. Yesterday I noticed my cat acting strange. She has been walking with her tail very... (7932 views)

Should we euthanize? Hershey was diagnosed with lymphoma today. He has two large swollen nodes under his... (14797 views)

Fluid in the lungs that got better. Hi, My boy Buster Brown has an array of health probs from dry eye syndrome to... (6946 views)

Itchy ears and bum. My dog keeps scratching at her ears and shakes her head a lot. I clean her ears and... (15395 views)

Lump after vaccines. We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he... (34092 views)

Cat shaking after flea treatment. I accidentally treated my kitten with a store bought flea treatment meant for dogs... (29442 views)

sexing a cat WE found a stray cat and our question is how can we tell what gender it... (9532 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My cat lulu was just attacked by a dog today....i'm a new mommy...and currently... (6323 views)

Cat with asthma. My cat sam is 9 yrs old. he weighs about 16 pounds. He has coughing spells about 3... (8496 views)