Dog coughing again.

Breed: Shetland Sheepdog
Dear Dr. Marie

Im concerned about my dog he started about a month ago sounding like he was weezing then doing dry heaving im not sure what has caused it. we didn't take him to the vet cause it stopped for a while so we thought it was maybe something he ate that might have upset his stomach but now it started up again and im not really sure what its is I know he has alot off allergies. Any info you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Kerryanne

Sorry to hear that Charlie is having some problems.

There are a few things that can case wheezing and coughing like you have described. Usually, allergies don't cause respiratory symptoms in dogs, although it is possible.

The most common reason for a dog to suddenly start coughing is a virus such as kennel cough. However, this usually lasts a few days to weeks and then goes away. It doesn't usually come back again like you have described.

My next concern would be for his heart. Dogs with heart disease will cough, and usually do more so after exercise. Your vet can have a good listen to his heart and determine if there is a heart murmur and if so they may do some xrays to determine if there is a problem.

Next, some dogs can cough because of asthma. This is more common if there are smokers in the house but can happen without anyone smoking around the dog.

There are many other possible reasons for cough including pneumonia, a fungal infection such as blastomycosis and some parasites.

If this is recurring then I think a vet visit is the best idea.

Hope everything is ok!

Puppy is leaking urine. Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The... (22294 views)

Pus filled lump on boxer. Hello, About four days ago, we noticed what looked like a cut on our male boxer's... (6629 views)

Pomeranian in pain. I have a 4 year old pom. All of a sudden, 3 weeks ago he started having abdominal... (16936 views)

My kitten died. Hi Dr Marie, We came home on Sunday after a night away (less than 24 hours) to... (13175 views)

Throwing up and diarrhea. My dog has been throwing up and has had diarrhea for a couple of days. She is able... (31251 views)

Ear swollen like balloon. My dog has a large swelling on her ear that looks like a balloon. She is shaking... (28533 views)

Can puppy go outside? I was just wondering when it is okay to take Marley for walkes? He only has his... (10941 views)

Can an older cat be groomed? I have been getting Lily groomed twice a year since she was 1. She is getting older... (5436 views)

Bad odor from dog's behind. I have a border Collie-lab male 4 year old dog. About a week go I noticed that my... (13966 views)

Dog has warm ears. Is it normal for my dog to have warm ears? There is no discharge and the ears are... (87224 views)