Dog coughing again.

Breed: Shetland Sheepdog
Dear Dr. Marie

Im concerned about my dog he started about a month ago sounding like he was weezing then doing dry heaving im not sure what has caused it. we didn't take him to the vet cause it stopped for a while so we thought it was maybe something he ate that might have upset his stomach but now it started up again and im not really sure what its is I know he has alot off allergies. Any info you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Kerryanne

Sorry to hear that Charlie is having some problems.

There are a few things that can case wheezing and coughing like you have described. Usually, allergies don't cause respiratory symptoms in dogs, although it is possible.

The most common reason for a dog to suddenly start coughing is a virus such as kennel cough. However, this usually lasts a few days to weeks and then goes away. It doesn't usually come back again like you have described.

My next concern would be for his heart. Dogs with heart disease will cough, and usually do more so after exercise. Your vet can have a good listen to his heart and determine if there is a heart murmur and if so they may do some xrays to determine if there is a problem.

Next, some dogs can cough because of asthma. This is more common if there are smokers in the house but can happen without anyone smoking around the dog.

There are many other possible reasons for cough including pneumonia, a fungal infection such as blastomycosis and some parasites.

If this is recurring then I think a vet visit is the best idea.

Hope everything is ok!

Sterile nodular panniculitis? Hi, My dog has a patch of nodules on his neck. I took him to our normal vet five... (30376 views)

Possible elbow hygroma. I just noticed a mass on my 4 month old puppy's front right leg. She is mini... (27449 views)

Balding on legs and belly. My cat is bald on the back of her legs and losing hair on her belly as... (11096 views)

Lump on hedgehog I have a hedgehog who has a lump behind his right ear and down into his neck. If I... (18039 views)

Diarrhea resolves with Cephalexin. Dear Dr. Marie, I’ve been in the throes of a medical mystery with my beloved... (12919 views)

Feline acne? Dr. Marie, About a week ago I noticed a small grayish black nodule on my cat's... (26108 views)

Won't nurse puppies One week ago our Yorkie Maya had a litter of puppies. She gave birth to seven... (48862 views)

Dog won't walk. my dog has almost stoped walkin and jus crawls around,unless it like to get food of... (13909 views)

Carrots and nuts safe for dogs? Is it safe to feed her carrots or nuts of any kind? We have just been feeding them... (12556 views)

Swollen carpal pad. Dear Dr. Marie: About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our... (28467 views)