Dog coughing again.

Breed: Shetland Sheepdog
Dear Dr. Marie

Im concerned about my dog he started about a month ago sounding like he was weezing then doing dry heaving im not sure what has caused it. we didn't take him to the vet cause it stopped for a while so we thought it was maybe something he ate that might have upset his stomach but now it started up again and im not really sure what its is I know he has alot off allergies. Any info you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Kerryanne

Sorry to hear that Charlie is having some problems.

There are a few things that can case wheezing and coughing like you have described. Usually, allergies don't cause respiratory symptoms in dogs, although it is possible.

The most common reason for a dog to suddenly start coughing is a virus such as kennel cough. However, this usually lasts a few days to weeks and then goes away. It doesn't usually come back again like you have described.

My next concern would be for his heart. Dogs with heart disease will cough, and usually do more so after exercise. Your vet can have a good listen to his heart and determine if there is a heart murmur and if so they may do some xrays to determine if there is a problem.

Next, some dogs can cough because of asthma. This is more common if there are smokers in the house but can happen without anyone smoking around the dog.

There are many other possible reasons for cough including pneumonia, a fungal infection such as blastomycosis and some parasites.

If this is recurring then I think a vet visit is the best idea.

Hope everything is ok!

Steroid shot and NSAID? Hi Dr. Marie, Bare with me in my lengthy explanation :) I recently found out... (8756 views)

Can't use back legs. In the past 7 months my dog has had 2 "episodes". First, in September 2010 he had... (32511 views)

Coughing and sneezing dog. I have a three month old teacup Yorkie. He had a check up last week and got his... (26746 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in pregnancy. My dog has had 1 or 2 ties and it's been about a week now and she's starting to have... (5809 views)

Tubes in dogs ears? our bulldog has bad problems with his ears they are almost swollen shut. our vet... (16926 views)

Puppy died suddenly. I came home after being gone for 3 hours. We have baby Pomeranians 6 weeks old. They... (17702 views)

Doesn't like s/d. My dog has bladder stones(a lot) and was put on Hills Prescription diet s/d Canine... (9063 views)

Heavy breathing in dog. My dog seems to be panting and breathing heavily quite often, almost all the time,... (14355 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. 10 days ago my german Shepherd at a maxi pad ( enlongated overnight maxi with wings)... (20982 views)

Panting at night on steroids. my 12 year old black lab is on steroids for an auto immune disease and the medicine... (6187 views)