Pocket pets and cats.

Breed: DSH
I have been considering adding a small pocket pet as a companion to my home. I would like to get a mouse, hamster or gerbil for entertainment for myself and my beloved cat. The small animal would be protected in a secure enclosure and would be visible to my cat and vice versa. My worry would be that the small animal might end up living in fear of the appearance of the cat. I would provided it with a hiding place. The other issue is how would my cat be effected. Would the presence of the small pet cause distress from frustration of being kept from reaching it. Would this be a harmful situation for either of them? If this is a workable situation which kind of small animal would be the best choice. In this case would a cage or terrarium be best (more healthy for the small animal)? Thanks Sincerely Cliff Sanford

Thank you for an interesting question! I don't know that anyone could answer this with certainty but I'll give you my thoughts. :)

I think that provided that the animal has a place to hide, any of these animals will do just fine. I know many families that have pocket pets along with cats and it's rare that I hear of serious problems. I did once see a hamster with a broken leg because of a fight with the house cat. But, this hamster was allowed to roam free. As long as you make sure that the little one is always protected things should be ok.

Will your cat be stressed by the presence of a pocket pet? Most likely your cat will be just fine. I can't say that I have ever had a client come to see me because their cat was stressed and obsessing over the fact that a pocket pet is in the house.

In regards to cage vs terrarium, that really is a personal decision. I see far more cages than terrariums so as long as you can secure the enclosure to make it safe from prying paws, I'd probably go with a cage.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your new pet!

Not putting weight on leg. Our cat jumped off the fridge and did something to his back leg. He limps now. When... (11924 views)

Mark on dog's nose. Hello! My dog is a Toy Fox Terrier (5 years old). He is a typical hyperactive toy... (4821 views)

Diarrhea with blood. my dog, i just recently changed his dog food. and i got home and saw diarrhea... (24263 views)

Cancer in a cat's chest. Hi there, I hope this wont be too long, but I want to provide the history of the... (10947 views)

Rubs his nose in vomit. A couple of times in the last few weeks, Atka has gotten sick to his stomach and... (10916 views)

Should we euthanize? Hershey was diagnosed with lymphoma today. He has two large swollen nodes under his... (14699 views)

Lump after vaccines. We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he... (33949 views)

Chinese Crested with diarrhea This is breed that loses their teeth (starting at an early age) as they age.... (10314 views)

Beagle Pain Syndrome? My 10 year old beagle in November had an ear infection that caused him to develop... (17017 views)

Can a dog transmit HIV or hep c Hello, I know you've had a similar question before but I'm unsure about... (64539 views)