Pocket pets and cats.

Breed: DSH
I have been considering adding a small pocket pet as a companion to my home. I would like to get a mouse, hamster or gerbil for entertainment for myself and my beloved cat. The small animal would be protected in a secure enclosure and would be visible to my cat and vice versa. My worry would be that the small animal might end up living in fear of the appearance of the cat. I would provided it with a hiding place. The other issue is how would my cat be effected. Would the presence of the small pet cause distress from frustration of being kept from reaching it. Would this be a harmful situation for either of them? If this is a workable situation which kind of small animal would be the best choice. In this case would a cage or terrarium be best (more healthy for the small animal)? Thanks Sincerely Cliff Sanford

Thank you for an interesting question! I don't know that anyone could answer this with certainty but I'll give you my thoughts. :)

I think that provided that the animal has a place to hide, any of these animals will do just fine. I know many families that have pocket pets along with cats and it's rare that I hear of serious problems. I did once see a hamster with a broken leg because of a fight with the house cat. But, this hamster was allowed to roam free. As long as you make sure that the little one is always protected things should be ok.

Will your cat be stressed by the presence of a pocket pet? Most likely your cat will be just fine. I can't say that I have ever had a client come to see me because their cat was stressed and obsessing over the fact that a pocket pet is in the house.

In regards to cage vs terrarium, that really is a personal decision. I see far more cages than terrariums so as long as you can secure the enclosure to make it safe from prying paws, I'd probably go with a cage.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your new pet!

Bromonidine (like amitraz) toxicity. MY DOG SWALLOWED SOME BRIMONIDINE TARTRATE OPHTHALMIC 5 ML SHE IS VERY WEAK AND... (13342 views)

Growth near bum of cat. Hello: I noticed my outside male cat had a growth coming out of his back end. After... (14980 views)

Puppy knuckling on back legs. Hi I have a pug who is 5 months old, he was fine until about 2 week ago. He started... (8140 views)

Multiple mast cell tumors. Hi Marie, it says that my question has been answered, but I do not know how to... (16043 views)

Dog died suddenly. Dr. Marie - We had a Yorkshire Terrier (would have been 12 years old in August).... (69837 views)

Dropped puppy on head. I have a 5 week old puppy, one of 6, he weighs less than 1 pound. My 2 year old... (34297 views)

Cat died. Hit by car? My cat was found a few days ago under my neighbours car. He had been bleeding from... (26447 views)

Black spot on side of hamster. My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of... (40543 views)

How often to bathe a dog? I have a black lab that just turned 4. She has relatively short hair, how often... (8498 views)

Dog with bad breath. im from philippines, i really sleep at bed every night with my dog.the problem is, i... (10586 views)