Pocket pets and cats.

Breed: DSH
I have been considering adding a small pocket pet as a companion to my home. I would like to get a mouse, hamster or gerbil for entertainment for myself and my beloved cat. The small animal would be protected in a secure enclosure and would be visible to my cat and vice versa. My worry would be that the small animal might end up living in fear of the appearance of the cat. I would provided it with a hiding place. The other issue is how would my cat be effected. Would the presence of the small pet cause distress from frustration of being kept from reaching it. Would this be a harmful situation for either of them? If this is a workable situation which kind of small animal would be the best choice. In this case would a cage or terrarium be best (more healthy for the small animal)? Thanks Sincerely Cliff Sanford

Thank you for an interesting question! I don't know that anyone could answer this with certainty but I'll give you my thoughts. :)

I think that provided that the animal has a place to hide, any of these animals will do just fine. I know many families that have pocket pets along with cats and it's rare that I hear of serious problems. I did once see a hamster with a broken leg because of a fight with the house cat. But, this hamster was allowed to roam free. As long as you make sure that the little one is always protected things should be ok.

Will your cat be stressed by the presence of a pocket pet? Most likely your cat will be just fine. I can't say that I have ever had a client come to see me because their cat was stressed and obsessing over the fact that a pocket pet is in the house.

In regards to cage vs terrarium, that really is a personal decision. I see far more cages than terrariums so as long as you can secure the enclosure to make it safe from prying paws, I'd probably go with a cage.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your new pet!

Runny soft stools. Rocky is 7 weeks old, has been eating the same food and now his feces has become... (11310 views)

Kennel cough in pregnant dog. My dog just started very mild reverse sneeze/sneezing and slight runny nose I'm... (21168 views)

Dog looks thin. I have a 9 1/2 year old Yorkshire Terrier. Recently she has begun to get thin. I... (17073 views)

Possible elbow hygroma. I just noticed a mass on my 4 month old puppy's front right leg. She is mini... (29001 views)

Sick after neuter. On March 26, 2012 I took my two dogs and my friend’s dog to get spayed and... (17440 views)

Bald spot on cat's back. My friend's 1 1/2 yr. old cat has been losing the hair from it's tail for about 10... (42561 views)

Vaginal bleeding. Hi, my little desexed jack russell is bleeding slightly from her vagina when she... (100306 views)

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (13009 views)

Eyes rolled back in head. About 3 months ago, Bruce's eyes rolled back in his head and become very blood shot.... (46107 views)

Jaundiced dog. Hi, I have an 8yr old female labrador that on the 30th December, 2013 evening... (16751 views)