Pocket pets and cats.

Breed: DSH
I have been considering adding a small pocket pet as a companion to my home. I would like to get a mouse, hamster or gerbil for entertainment for myself and my beloved cat. The small animal would be protected in a secure enclosure and would be visible to my cat and vice versa. My worry would be that the small animal might end up living in fear of the appearance of the cat. I would provided it with a hiding place. The other issue is how would my cat be effected. Would the presence of the small pet cause distress from frustration of being kept from reaching it. Would this be a harmful situation for either of them? If this is a workable situation which kind of small animal would be the best choice. In this case would a cage or terrarium be best (more healthy for the small animal)? Thanks Sincerely Cliff Sanford

Thank you for an interesting question! I don't know that anyone could answer this with certainty but I'll give you my thoughts. :)

I think that provided that the animal has a place to hide, any of these animals will do just fine. I know many families that have pocket pets along with cats and it's rare that I hear of serious problems. I did once see a hamster with a broken leg because of a fight with the house cat. But, this hamster was allowed to roam free. As long as you make sure that the little one is always protected things should be ok.

Will your cat be stressed by the presence of a pocket pet? Most likely your cat will be just fine. I can't say that I have ever had a client come to see me because their cat was stressed and obsessing over the fact that a pocket pet is in the house.

In regards to cage vs terrarium, that really is a personal decision. I see far more cages than terrariums so as long as you can secure the enclosure to make it safe from prying paws, I'd probably go with a cage.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your new pet!

Cat aggressive with dog. Our household has 2 dogs, 2 indoor cats, 3 parakeets and 3 kids :). The cats and... (5275 views)

Fly a puppy in cargo? Hi Dr Marie. We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg.... (5807 views)

How to get a guinea pig to lose weight Hi Dr. Marie: Recently I took my sow guinea pig Squeaky to have her nails trimmed.... (5116 views)

Revolution and fleas my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated... (15561 views)

Are lumps related to seizures? Hi, Amber is 10 years old. Since she was young she had frequent seizures, as she... (10801 views)

Pig ears and diarrhea. Hi, My dog gets occasional diarrhea, like twice a week maybe, I had to take her... (14117 views)

Very thirsty kitten. Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl... (11112 views)

Clear discharge from dog's nose. Hello, My 3 year old Golden Retriever has been blowing her nose--exactly how... (21983 views)

Lump on Rottweiler's leg. Dear Dr Marie Recently, I notice my dog has a lump or growth(white round bumpy... (14473 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. My wife and I left for a 24 day holiday. Three of our kids remained at home. Our... (20740 views)