Do dogs get sciatica?

Breed: rotweiller
Hi, about three weeks ago zues' back legs seemed week and clumsy and he was dripping urine, a vet came round and diagnosed him with sciatica and he has been on CARPROFEN ever since. About two days later he started dripping blood instead of urine but his legs seemed a bit better. The vet came back round and chemically carstrated him and gave him an antibiotic and an antinflammatory shots. It seemed good for a couple of days but the blood came back and now his back legs are bearly holding his weight and he has little control over them. He seems to be in no pain but he is not himself. It has not affected his appetite. Could you please give me a second opinion as I think my vet is not on the right track.
Thankyou Jason

Hi Jason. I'm sorry to hear that Zeus is having these problems. This is a hard one to comment on without actually seeing Zeus, but maybe I can give you a few ideas.

It sounds like your vet is concerned about prostate problems. If the prostate is enlarged it can cause urinary issues. Castrating a dog will cause the prostate to shrink down.

However, a prostate that is simply enlarged should not cause blood in the urine. It is possible that there is an infection in the prostate or possibly even a tumor.

Has your vet done tests on Zeus's urine? This should tell us if there is an infection present. A tumor is a little harder to diagnose. Sometimes we can see evidence on an xray or ultrasound. Hopefully it is not a tumor because we don't have great success in treating prostate tumors.

While a prostate problem doesn't directly cause difficulties with walking, I have seen dogs have extreme hind end weakness if their bladder is really full or if they have pain in the prostate area.

Do you know if your vet did neurological tests on the back legs? An example of this would be trying to get the legs to knuckle over on the toes. If there is a neurological problem then we may have a spinal problem. However, most spinal injuries in dogs should not cause blood in the urine.

Again, it's hard to comment without seeing Zeus and his test results but if this were my case I would probably be advising an ultrasound of his bladder and prostate, mostly to look for cancer in either of these areas. Also, if he has not had a complete set of bloodwork and urine tests these would be advisable as well.

I wish I could give you a more pointed answer but this is a tough one. It does sound like your vet is doing the right things, but if you are not certain it never hurts to take Zeus for a second opinion.

I hope he does ok!

Dog with swollen shoulder. There is something wrong with one side of my dogs shoulder. It looks swollen but if... (17623 views)

Bloated and leaking urine. This past week my 12 year old german shepard has been wetting herself and last night... (19064 views)

Vomiting yellow liquid. Maynard has been vomiting up yellowish urine colored liquid a few time in the last... (8067 views)

Regular vs baby aspirin I have run out of baby aspirin so is it ok to give a dog just one low dose bayer... (19923 views)

Cancer or hairball? Mama Kitty has a lower abdomen mass. She is 5 lbs. The vet suspects cancer, although... (14103 views)

Lumps on hips. My dog is five years old female golden/lab. Three weeks ago I noticed two bumps at... (14828 views)

Bloated abdomen my dog has been severly bloated for five weeks, at first i thought he had just got... (11898 views)

Sneezing dog. My 1 year old Chihuahua has been sneezing and reverse sneezing for the last couple... (24829 views)

Cat with megacolon. My 12-year old cat was diagnosed with megacolon about five years ago. When he looks... (6309 views)

Cat won't pee or poop. Hi there, I have a nine year old DLH female cat. For 5 years now she has had... (24200 views)