Do dogs get sciatica?

Breed: rotweiller
Hi, about three weeks ago zues' back legs seemed week and clumsy and he was dripping urine, a vet came round and diagnosed him with sciatica and he has been on CARPROFEN ever since. About two days later he started dripping blood instead of urine but his legs seemed a bit better. The vet came back round and chemically carstrated him and gave him an antibiotic and an antinflammatory shots. It seemed good for a couple of days but the blood came back and now his back legs are bearly holding his weight and he has little control over them. He seems to be in no pain but he is not himself. It has not affected his appetite. Could you please give me a second opinion as I think my vet is not on the right track.
Thankyou Jason

Hi Jason. I'm sorry to hear that Zeus is having these problems. This is a hard one to comment on without actually seeing Zeus, but maybe I can give you a few ideas.

It sounds like your vet is concerned about prostate problems. If the prostate is enlarged it can cause urinary issues. Castrating a dog will cause the prostate to shrink down.

However, a prostate that is simply enlarged should not cause blood in the urine. It is possible that there is an infection in the prostate or possibly even a tumor.

Has your vet done tests on Zeus's urine? This should tell us if there is an infection present. A tumor is a little harder to diagnose. Sometimes we can see evidence on an xray or ultrasound. Hopefully it is not a tumor because we don't have great success in treating prostate tumors.

While a prostate problem doesn't directly cause difficulties with walking, I have seen dogs have extreme hind end weakness if their bladder is really full or if they have pain in the prostate area.

Do you know if your vet did neurological tests on the back legs? An example of this would be trying to get the legs to knuckle over on the toes. If there is a neurological problem then we may have a spinal problem. However, most spinal injuries in dogs should not cause blood in the urine.

Again, it's hard to comment without seeing Zeus and his test results but if this were my case I would probably be advising an ultrasound of his bladder and prostate, mostly to look for cancer in either of these areas. Also, if he has not had a complete set of bloodwork and urine tests these would be advisable as well.

I wish I could give you a more pointed answer but this is a tough one. It does sound like your vet is doing the right things, but if you are not certain it never hurts to take Zeus for a second opinion.

I hope he does ok!

64 days pregnant. hello, I have a 1 1/2 year old Pomeranian half jack russel. I just found out she is... (14956 views)

Seizures Max is 14. Four nights ago he had a big seizure that lasted about 60-90 seconds. ... (83676 views)

Black skin patches on dog. My dog started developing patches on his side a few months ago. His hair is falling... (13211 views)

Lethargic cat My cat has been lethargic for a couple days. Noticed yesterday afternoon. She... (15178 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (4549 views)

Magnesium level of food. I have two cats. Casper has urinary tract issues. He is currently on a .085%... (11074 views)

Hair loss in patches. Hi we live in a remote community up near Darwin in Australia. Four weeks ago we took... (8196 views)

Dog ate sewing needle. I think my dog has swallowed a sewing needle. What should I... (33151 views)

Down in the hock. Hello, About two weeks ago I came home from being away a couple of hours and... (5320 views)

Lump on hamster's toe. Hey! A week or 2 ago I noticed a tiny reddish pink bump on one of the toes on my... (14023 views)