Red spot near vulva.

Breed: Lab mix
My six-year-old spayed, lab mix has a small red area near her vulva. She bites and licks at it constantly, but shows no other symptoms to indicate illness. She is eating and drinking normally and she appears to be urinating without any problem and on her normal schedule. I have also noticed her chewing at her paws and sides. Is it reasonable to assume this is a bug bite, or some other allergy or should I be more concerned?

I've recently been out of work for surgery myself and I simply can't afford a vet bill unless it is absolutely necessary. If she had an infection would I notice the symptoms getting obviously more serious? Is there anything I can try to rule out a bite/allergies? Thank you!

Sorry to hear that Cleo is so uncomfortable.

I won't be able to say for certain what this red spot is but I can take some guesses.

If this spot has only been there for a day or two and if you live in a climate that is warm enough to have biting insects at this time of year then, yes, it's possible that it is some type of a bug bite like a mosquito bite. If this is the case then it should go away on its own in 24-48 hours.

If she's also itchy on her paws and sides this can be a sign of an allergy. There are a lot of different things that she could be allergic to. One possibility is fleas. A flea bite could cause the red spot. Flea bites tend to be small - like 1/3 of the size of a mosquito bite.

If you think it may be fleas, then have a good look at the skin over the base of her tail. Can you see any tiny black flecks? If so, put them on a white piece of paper towel and see if they smear with water. If they smear a rusty color then this is flea dirt. If you do think this is due to fleas then I don't recommend any over the counter products for fleas. Prescription products are usually necessary.

It's also possible that there is an allergy to something else and now there is a secondary skin infection. If this is the case, then you should notice areas of the skin that are scaley or flakey. If this is a skin infection then prescription antibiotic pills are necessary.

At this point it doesn't sound like you need to rush in and see the vet right away. But, if the problem doesn't go away within 48 hours then it is probably necessary. In the meantime there is no harm in using a small amount of polysporin/neosporin three times a day. But, I don't find it is terribly effective though.

Thank you so much for your quick response. Cleo has always had issues with allergies (runny eyes, sneezing). The red spot is much better today. I was able to keep her from gnawing on it this morning by giving her a chew and she appears to be much better this afternoon.

I checked for flea dirt, but did not see any. She is currently on Comboguard for heart worm preventative as well as flea treatment, but she has recently been switched, so I am unsure how effective it is. I live in South Carolina, so fleas, ants, and mosquitos are already out in full force. Thanks again for your help and advice.

No bowel movement? Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my... (19986 views)

Sick, limping puppy. Good Evening I know my puppy needs to go to the vet however the vet will not be... (9935 views)

Chronic doxycycline use. How many weeks can I safely keep my pug on 100 mg daily of doxycycline... (16535 views)

Swollen nose. My 9 yo Female Samoyed has a swollen nose - the black part of the nose, on the top.... (8992 views)

Yorkie with Possible Pyometra. have a 7 year old female Yorkie that has been limp and despondent for 3 days. She... (15952 views)

Profender and pregnant women. Hi there Dr. Marie This isn't a direct question about an animal but I'm wondering... (10351 views)

Swollen nipple. I have a female dog that was fixed 6 years ago. She has 1 nipple that is swollen to... (28013 views)

Hypothermic dog. Two days ago my black lab pup fell threw some ice, he was in the water for about 5... (11307 views)

Hibiscus toxic to dogs? Are Hibiscus flowers poisonous? I caught my pomeranian eating one this morning... (24134 views)

Puppy chewing legs and licking penis Harley chews on himself constantly. He likes his penis, he chews on his legs,... (33181 views)