Cushings and cataracts.

Breed: Jack Russell
Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet say's he has cushing's syndrome. He wants to give him pills that are chemotherapy. Is there any way at his age the tumor could be removed? Or what would be the least harsh treatment for him at his age? He already has an enlarged heart too. Which he takes Enapril Maleate 5 mg a day for.He is just the Sweetest Little dog.He is happy. He eats and drinks good. He loves to go riding in the car.We want to keep him as long as possible. But we don't want him to suffer! Thank-You. Sherry Kivo

Hi Sherry...so sorry to hear that Phideaux is not doing well.

It sounds like the medication that your vet wants to give is something called Lysodren. This is a medication that helps to shrink down the adrenal glands that are too big. It comes with a lot of listed side effects. However, if you work closely with your vet and follow all of the instructions most dogs do extremely well.

You can ask your vet about a medication called trilostane that is similar to lysodren but seems to be a little bit safer.

Although we call these pills "chemotherapy" they are really not at all like the drugs that people get for chemotherapy for cancer.

There are some dogs that can have an adrenal tumor removed. However, often the tumor is not actually in the adrenal gland but is in the pituitary gland in the brain (where we can't do surgery). The tumor is benign so it simply causes the pituitary gland to produce extra hormone that tells the adrenal gland to grow.

I have treated lots of dogs for cushing's that have done really well. It can be a little pricey to do all of the tests and give the medicines, but if your vet is experienced in treating cushing's then Phideaux really should do ok!

Thank-You DR Marie. The vet said Tristolain was not as effective as the lysodrol. I probably am not spelling this right. Then you think we should give Phideaux the Lysodrol? I googled it and it said it shortened the dogs life to give it that. I just want to be kind to him. Sherry Kivo

Interesting. Trilostane is only newly available where I practice, but what I have read seems to indicate that it works well. However, if your vet is comfortable with the Lysodren I would definitely go for it.

Do not believe everything you read on the internet. Lysodren does have some side effects if your dog is not monitored well, but in experienced hands it is safe. The bigest concern is that if we give too much we can remove too much of the adrenal glands. But, if we are monitoring properly this won't happen.

I hope that helps...I will be offline for a few hours, but if you have more concerns I can reply later!

Thank-You Dr. Marie! I hate to give him this medicine. But, I guess if it helps him I will try it.Sherry Kivo

No bowel movement? Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my... (14499 views)

Patellar luxation surgery for pomeranian? Hi, How necessary is it to have surgery on a 2 year old Pomeranian's back legs to... (5872 views)

Toxoplasmosis questions. 1) My cat is an outdoor cat. I know he is at risk for getting the parasite that... (12240 views)

Panting at night on steroids. my 12 year old black lab is on steroids for an auto immune disease and the medicine... (6622 views)

Becoming a veterinary assistant? I want to become a vet assistant. I have enrolled in an online course that teaches... (4496 views)

Dog looks depressed. Hello, Dr. My dog is pretty active but he usually looks "depressed" out of the... (8136 views)

Discharge from vulva. My cat Miss Fitzgibbons who is 3 years old has suddenly become quite weak. She is... (6296 views)

Is ketoconazole safe? Hi. My 6 y/o Papillon has suffered fron skin problems his whole life. I've been told... (4570 views)

Lethargic kitten after spay. My kitten is around five minths old. She was spayed on July 23rd ish. Since her... (14368 views)

Heart enlargement? Hi I have a female terrier dog, Fido and she is 9 years old. Couple of months ago my... (5428 views)