Cushings and cataracts.

Breed: Jack Russell
Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet say's he has cushing's syndrome. He wants to give him pills that are chemotherapy. Is there any way at his age the tumor could be removed? Or what would be the least harsh treatment for him at his age? He already has an enlarged heart too. Which he takes Enapril Maleate 5 mg a day for.He is just the Sweetest Little dog.He is happy. He eats and drinks good. He loves to go riding in the car.We want to keep him as long as possible. But we don't want him to suffer! Thank-You. Sherry Kivo

Hi Sherry...so sorry to hear that Phideaux is not doing well.

It sounds like the medication that your vet wants to give is something called Lysodren. This is a medication that helps to shrink down the adrenal glands that are too big. It comes with a lot of listed side effects. However, if you work closely with your vet and follow all of the instructions most dogs do extremely well.

You can ask your vet about a medication called trilostane that is similar to lysodren but seems to be a little bit safer.

Although we call these pills "chemotherapy" they are really not at all like the drugs that people get for chemotherapy for cancer.

There are some dogs that can have an adrenal tumor removed. However, often the tumor is not actually in the adrenal gland but is in the pituitary gland in the brain (where we can't do surgery). The tumor is benign so it simply causes the pituitary gland to produce extra hormone that tells the adrenal gland to grow.

I have treated lots of dogs for cushing's that have done really well. It can be a little pricey to do all of the tests and give the medicines, but if your vet is experienced in treating cushing's then Phideaux really should do ok!

Thank-You DR Marie. The vet said Tristolain was not as effective as the lysodrol. I probably am not spelling this right. Then you think we should give Phideaux the Lysodrol? I googled it and it said it shortened the dogs life to give it that. I just want to be kind to him. Sherry Kivo

Interesting. Trilostane is only newly available where I practice, but what I have read seems to indicate that it works well. However, if your vet is comfortable with the Lysodren I would definitely go for it.

Do not believe everything you read on the internet. Lysodren does have some side effects if your dog is not monitored well, but in experienced hands it is safe. The bigest concern is that if we give too much we can remove too much of the adrenal glands. But, if we are monitoring properly this won't happen.

I hope that helps...I will be offline for a few hours, but if you have more concerns I can reply later!

Thank-You Dr. Marie! I hate to give him this medicine. But, I guess if it helps him I will try it.Sherry Kivo

Puppy ate vomit. my dog is crying and has a fever and is very sluggish my wife is pregnant and going... (12699 views)

Pregnancy test for dogs? How can I tell if my dog is pregnant? She was with a male dog yesterday and I think... (20391 views)

Dog won't walk. my dog has almost stoped walkin and jus crawls around,unless it like to get food of... (17757 views)

Kittens not eating or nursing My cat had 5 kittens 5 weeks ago. Recently, she has stopped feeding them and taking... (14155 views)

Where can I buy Tramadol? Steve has a degenerative disease.He is doing well.I give him steroids almost every... (55641 views)

Milky urine in guinea pig. One of my guinea pigs urine is milky, this has never happened before. Their diet is... (12052 views)

Puppy breathing hard. Tucker is only 8 weeks old, I can't get his needles until this Tues. I think he has... (15188 views)

Wobbly after anesthesia. Hello Dr. Marie, I just have a few questions about Snova...he got shaved for the... (16469 views)

Kitten strangled himself. My kitten just strangled himself and his tounge was blue,hanging out, limp,not... (12919 views)

Diabetic cat problems. I have a diabetic cat who gets 4ml ProZinc 2x per day with meals. Normally she is... (7648 views)