Cushings and cataracts.

Breed: Jack Russell
Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet say's he has cushing's syndrome. He wants to give him pills that are chemotherapy. Is there any way at his age the tumor could be removed? Or what would be the least harsh treatment for him at his age? He already has an enlarged heart too. Which he takes Enapril Maleate 5 mg a day for.He is just the Sweetest Little dog.He is happy. He eats and drinks good. He loves to go riding in the car.We want to keep him as long as possible. But we don't want him to suffer! Thank-You. Sherry Kivo

Hi Sherry...so sorry to hear that Phideaux is not doing well.

It sounds like the medication that your vet wants to give is something called Lysodren. This is a medication that helps to shrink down the adrenal glands that are too big. It comes with a lot of listed side effects. However, if you work closely with your vet and follow all of the instructions most dogs do extremely well.

You can ask your vet about a medication called trilostane that is similar to lysodren but seems to be a little bit safer.

Although we call these pills "chemotherapy" they are really not at all like the drugs that people get for chemotherapy for cancer.

There are some dogs that can have an adrenal tumor removed. However, often the tumor is not actually in the adrenal gland but is in the pituitary gland in the brain (where we can't do surgery). The tumor is benign so it simply causes the pituitary gland to produce extra hormone that tells the adrenal gland to grow.

I have treated lots of dogs for cushing's that have done really well. It can be a little pricey to do all of the tests and give the medicines, but if your vet is experienced in treating cushing's then Phideaux really should do ok!

Thank-You DR Marie. The vet said Tristolain was not as effective as the lysodrol. I probably am not spelling this right. Then you think we should give Phideaux the Lysodrol? I googled it and it said it shortened the dogs life to give it that. I just want to be kind to him. Sherry Kivo

Interesting. Trilostane is only newly available where I practice, but what I have read seems to indicate that it works well. However, if your vet is comfortable with the Lysodren I would definitely go for it.

Do not believe everything you read on the internet. Lysodren does have some side effects if your dog is not monitored well, but in experienced hands it is safe. The bigest concern is that if we give too much we can remove too much of the adrenal glands. But, if we are monitoring properly this won't happen.

I hope that helps...I will be offline for a few hours, but if you have more concerns I can reply later!

Thank-You Dr. Marie! I hate to give him this medicine. But, I guess if it helps him I will try it.Sherry Kivo

Is my dog pregnant? We think my dog is pregnant.She keeps trying to make little areas for herself and... (5110 views)

Shaking cat. My cat, Misty will be 14 in Aug. The only problems she’s had until recently have... (10712 views)

Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats? do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent... (9770 views)

ACTH Stim my dog went for acht testing on friday to look for addisons disease te vet isnt in... (8739 views)

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (14357 views)

Drinking and urinating more. Approx. 6 yrs old or older, part Rodesian Ridgeback, 69 pounds. He was a stray and... (4815 views)

Disinfecting dishes. Hello Marie, I am contacting you again to ask a question about a part of my cat... (11137 views)

Reduce allergies to cats. I'm allergic to cats but I would love to have one. I've recently heard that there is... (8185 views)

Dog's nails are breaking. My dog is about 10 years old and shows no signs of any illness. Recently, her nails... (8962 views)

Is my dog hypothyroid? My bichon is obese. She weighs 35 lbs but is also taller than my other bichon who... (7127 views)