Cushings and cataracts.

Breed: Jack Russell
Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet say's he has cushing's syndrome. He wants to give him pills that are chemotherapy. Is there any way at his age the tumor could be removed? Or what would be the least harsh treatment for him at his age? He already has an enlarged heart too. Which he takes Enapril Maleate 5 mg a day for.He is just the Sweetest Little dog.He is happy. He eats and drinks good. He loves to go riding in the car.We want to keep him as long as possible. But we don't want him to suffer! Thank-You. Sherry Kivo

Hi Sherry...so sorry to hear that Phideaux is not doing well.

It sounds like the medication that your vet wants to give is something called Lysodren. This is a medication that helps to shrink down the adrenal glands that are too big. It comes with a lot of listed side effects. However, if you work closely with your vet and follow all of the instructions most dogs do extremely well.

You can ask your vet about a medication called trilostane that is similar to lysodren but seems to be a little bit safer.

Although we call these pills "chemotherapy" they are really not at all like the drugs that people get for chemotherapy for cancer.

There are some dogs that can have an adrenal tumor removed. However, often the tumor is not actually in the adrenal gland but is in the pituitary gland in the brain (where we can't do surgery). The tumor is benign so it simply causes the pituitary gland to produce extra hormone that tells the adrenal gland to grow.

I have treated lots of dogs for cushing's that have done really well. It can be a little pricey to do all of the tests and give the medicines, but if your vet is experienced in treating cushing's then Phideaux really should do ok!

Thank-You DR Marie. The vet said Tristolain was not as effective as the lysodrol. I probably am not spelling this right. Then you think we should give Phideaux the Lysodrol? I googled it and it said it shortened the dogs life to give it that. I just want to be kind to him. Sherry Kivo

Interesting. Trilostane is only newly available where I practice, but what I have read seems to indicate that it works well. However, if your vet is comfortable with the Lysodren I would definitely go for it.

Do not believe everything you read on the internet. Lysodren does have some side effects if your dog is not monitored well, but in experienced hands it is safe. The bigest concern is that if we give too much we can remove too much of the adrenal glands. But, if we are monitoring properly this won't happen.

I hope that helps...I will be offline for a few hours, but if you have more concerns I can reply later!

Thank-You Dr. Marie! I hate to give him this medicine. But, I guess if it helps him I will try it.Sherry Kivo

Is dog's paw broken? Chandler jumped out the car window today and hurt his back paw. He won't put any... (11619 views)

Incontinence and balance issues. We have a dog breed and age unknown is a stray all of a sudden she has started... (17070 views)

Vet is pushing veterinary foods. I have a new to me vet who is insistent on my giving my cats 'veterinary' food. My... (6916 views)

Guinea pig scabs around mouth. My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took... (9214 views)

Do dogs sweat? Zoe, our chow mix, never pants. When our other dogs, after playtime, are laying... (7776 views)

Ear problems in a cat. I adopted my cat Fudge from a shelter when he was 9. He came with a host of... (10155 views)

Lab swallowed a shotgun shell. my 4 month old Lab pup swallowed a shotgun shell. What do you suggest i... (10040 views)

Anisocoria in 15 year old cat. Taz is 15 years old. For the past couple weeks I have noticed that her right eye is... (6299 views)

Renal lymphoma? my cat just had dental surgery. After about a week I noticed she was still listless... (25637 views)

Kitten won't eat. my kitten won't eat but will drink water and he is sluggish and has had weight loss... (19799 views)