Heterochromia in a cat.

Breed: no breed
I recently got a cat as a rescue. She is white, with light grey and yellow splotches.My question is about her eyes. I have searched all over the internet and asked my vet today but he didn't seem to think her eyes were anything special nor did he give me a term for it. Her eyes are blue and green. Not one blue eye and one green eye. Each eye is split perfect down the middle, vertically. The outside of each eye is blue and the inside of each eye is green. Is there a term for this?

There is a name for this! It is called heterochromia.

There are a few types of heterochromia:

• Complete heterochromia - where an animal has two different colored eyes (like one green and one blue.)

• Partial heterochromia - where one eye will have more than one color.

• Central heterochromia - where there is a ring of a different color surrounding the pupil.

It sounds like your cat has partial heterochromia.

In most cases this is something that an animal is born with and it is nothing to worry about. It doesn't affect their vision.

In dogs it is more common with a merle coat color. In cats it is more common in white Persians, Japanese Bobtails, and Turkish Angoras but can happen to any breed. Sometimes when an animal is born with heterochromia there can be other defects in the eye but not always.

If an animal had normal eyes and then started to develop heterochromia this can mean that there is a medical problem such as inflammation, injury or a tumor.

Thanks for a great question!

Swollen ankle on dog. I have a 3 year old chocolate lab. He is very active. His right hind leg has a... (90322 views)

Head Tilt. My dog carries his head to one side. Do you think he could have an ear infection or... (15492 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea every two weeks. I adopted my yorkiepoo from a local shelter in 12/2012. From that time until a few... (13292 views)

Painful erection for dog. Help Dr Marie, My puppy is not neutered and three or four times I have found him... (19532 views)

Quiet, sneezing dog. My Choc Lab is acting very listless, sneezing constantly, her nose is cold, is still... (24216 views)

How much should a dog sleep? I am curious to know how much sleep is normal for an older dog. He is a small breed... (9003 views)

Yorkie has tartar on teeth. I have recently noticed that masey has tartar buildin up on her teeth, iv gave her... (9423 views)

Achilles tendon problems in cat. Chloe recently started walking with her heel down to the ground on the right side(2... (12952 views)

Gentamycin and deafness? Hope you can help with my question. I have a 11 year old cat named Emma, that has... (6912 views)

Puppy is leaking urine. Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The... (23903 views)