Heterochromia in a cat.

Breed: no breed
I recently got a cat as a rescue. She is white, with light grey and yellow splotches.My question is about her eyes. I have searched all over the internet and asked my vet today but he didn't seem to think her eyes were anything special nor did he give me a term for it. Her eyes are blue and green. Not one blue eye and one green eye. Each eye is split perfect down the middle, vertically. The outside of each eye is blue and the inside of each eye is green. Is there a term for this?

There is a name for this! It is called heterochromia.

There are a few types of heterochromia:

• Complete heterochromia - where an animal has two different colored eyes (like one green and one blue.)

• Partial heterochromia - where one eye will have more than one color.

• Central heterochromia - where there is a ring of a different color surrounding the pupil.

It sounds like your cat has partial heterochromia.

In most cases this is something that an animal is born with and it is nothing to worry about. It doesn't affect their vision.

In dogs it is more common with a merle coat color. In cats it is more common in white Persians, Japanese Bobtails, and Turkish Angoras but can happen to any breed. Sometimes when an animal is born with heterochromia there can be other defects in the eye but not always.

If an animal had normal eyes and then started to develop heterochromia this can mean that there is a medical problem such as inflammation, injury or a tumor.

Thanks for a great question!

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (9452 views)

Ivermectin toxicity in a cat. My kitten and I live in Democractic Republic of Congo. Today, a vet administered an... (12503 views)

Lab gets into the garbage. Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year... (8637 views)

Metacam for cancer pain. I have a 13 year old Birman female cat, never really been sick in her life. We... (16104 views)

Cat with bone cancer. When I came home on 4th of JUly Toesy (inside cat)was limping and not using front... (12155 views)

High bile acids Hi Dr. Marie Over the course of the past 9 months, my dog Oreo's liver enzymes... (46583 views)

pain after root canal Had major teeth work performed about 3 months ago as we noticed her breath and she... (7557 views)

Start thryoid medicine? Biscuit has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (T4 > 7). He has lost 1 pound... (8161 views)

Flea Allergy Hello Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by... (11620 views)

Fearful puppy? I just adopted a new puppy from a man who owned a farm. he had a few dogs and they... (6850 views)