Heterochromia in a cat.

Breed: no breed
I recently got a cat as a rescue. She is white, with light grey and yellow splotches.My question is about her eyes. I have searched all over the internet and asked my vet today but he didn't seem to think her eyes were anything special nor did he give me a term for it. Her eyes are blue and green. Not one blue eye and one green eye. Each eye is split perfect down the middle, vertically. The outside of each eye is blue and the inside of each eye is green. Is there a term for this?

There is a name for this! It is called heterochromia.

There are a few types of heterochromia:

• Complete heterochromia - where an animal has two different colored eyes (like one green and one blue.)

• Partial heterochromia - where one eye will have more than one color.

• Central heterochromia - where there is a ring of a different color surrounding the pupil.

It sounds like your cat has partial heterochromia.

In most cases this is something that an animal is born with and it is nothing to worry about. It doesn't affect their vision.

In dogs it is more common with a merle coat color. In cats it is more common in white Persians, Japanese Bobtails, and Turkish Angoras but can happen to any breed. Sometimes when an animal is born with heterochromia there can be other defects in the eye but not always.

If an animal had normal eyes and then started to develop heterochromia this can mean that there is a medical problem such as inflammation, injury or a tumor.

Thanks for a great question!

Swollen feet in older cat. My 13 year old female cat has had several odd problems for about 2 months. I have... (18371 views)

Persistent hymen in dog. Mam, i own a female german sheperd. the problem is i cant breed her due to the grown... (14514 views)

Dog has liver cancer. Our 12 year old Golden/Lab mix has been diagnosed with liver cancer. What can we do... (24212 views)

Cat losing weight. My cat is only about 2 years, she is female. She recently got sick, she started off... (9935 views)

Seizure and diarrhea. Hi. My dog had a seizure this morning. her legs started shaking but she still had... (30710 views)

Sudden death in a dog after swimming. My dog was swimming in the lake for 1-2 mins, she came out, then ran around suddenly... (12284 views)

Milky urine in guinea pig. One of my guinea pigs urine is milky, this has never happened before. Their diet is... (10998 views)

Spot on eye. My boxer scratched his eye. Went to Vet and confirmed and they put him on Neomycin... (18117 views)

Floppy ear in German Shepherd. Hello my name is nick and i have a purebred west german shepherd from working lines.... (25767 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My pug has been vomiting over the last few days it started two nights ago I woke up... (35545 views)