Heterochromia in a cat.

Breed: no breed
I recently got a cat as a rescue. She is white, with light grey and yellow splotches.My question is about her eyes. I have searched all over the internet and asked my vet today but he didn't seem to think her eyes were anything special nor did he give me a term for it. Her eyes are blue and green. Not one blue eye and one green eye. Each eye is split perfect down the middle, vertically. The outside of each eye is blue and the inside of each eye is green. Is there a term for this?

There is a name for this! It is called heterochromia.

There are a few types of heterochromia:

• Complete heterochromia - where an animal has two different colored eyes (like one green and one blue.)

• Partial heterochromia - where one eye will have more than one color.

• Central heterochromia - where there is a ring of a different color surrounding the pupil.

It sounds like your cat has partial heterochromia.

In most cases this is something that an animal is born with and it is nothing to worry about. It doesn't affect their vision.

In dogs it is more common with a merle coat color. In cats it is more common in white Persians, Japanese Bobtails, and Turkish Angoras but can happen to any breed. Sometimes when an animal is born with heterochromia there can be other defects in the eye but not always.

If an animal had normal eyes and then started to develop heterochromia this can mean that there is a medical problem such as inflammation, injury or a tumor.

Thanks for a great question!

Dogs with occasional diarrhea. I have two German shepherds, male and female. The female is 7 yrs, the male is 5... (32055 views)

Dog has teeth stuck in her cheek. i noticed my dogs mouth was bleeding a little bit while we were playing so i opened... (10894 views)

Tresaderm causing seizure? Hi, I have a special-needs 6 year old cat that was born with a neurological... (5955 views)

Pit Bull doesn't want to walk. Okay, A few minuets ago I went on a walk/jog with my playful Putbull/Lab, I had... (7664 views)

Thumping back legs. My cat started throwing up Sunday. Yesterday he started thumping his back feet and... (21065 views)

Hair loss in patches. Hi we live in a remote community up near Darwin in Australia. Four weeks ago we took... (8945 views)

Puppy has a small eye. my puppy has an eye defect it is smaller than the other and seems to be lazy it is... (19773 views)

Kitten's eye is sealed shut. My kitten got either calici virus or the herpes virus and it affected one eye. For... (17716 views)

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (21189 views)

Bruising on neck. My mini dachshund went in for a dental cleaning, which the vet said went as normal.... (10359 views)