Heterochromia in a cat.

Breed: no breed
I recently got a cat as a rescue. She is white, with light grey and yellow splotches.My question is about her eyes. I have searched all over the internet and asked my vet today but he didn't seem to think her eyes were anything special nor did he give me a term for it. Her eyes are blue and green. Not one blue eye and one green eye. Each eye is split perfect down the middle, vertically. The outside of each eye is blue and the inside of each eye is green. Is there a term for this?

There is a name for this! It is called heterochromia.

There are a few types of heterochromia:

• Complete heterochromia - where an animal has two different colored eyes (like one green and one blue.)

• Partial heterochromia - where one eye will have more than one color.

• Central heterochromia - where there is a ring of a different color surrounding the pupil.

It sounds like your cat has partial heterochromia.

In most cases this is something that an animal is born with and it is nothing to worry about. It doesn't affect their vision.

In dogs it is more common with a merle coat color. In cats it is more common in white Persians, Japanese Bobtails, and Turkish Angoras but can happen to any breed. Sometimes when an animal is born with heterochromia there can be other defects in the eye but not always.

If an animal had normal eyes and then started to develop heterochromia this can mean that there is a medical problem such as inflammation, injury or a tumor.

Thanks for a great question!

My cat's fur is falling out. My cat's fur is falling out. Patchy and balding. I have 2 cats, the other is... (14651 views)

Are chicken feces toxic? I've heard that chicken poop is bad for dogs, is this true? if so, what can i do... (88473 views)

Dog has wound under arm. I was wondering how I would go about dressing an area on my dog under her arm? It... (9557 views)

Kitten with runny nose. my kitten has had a runny nose with bad sneezing for 4 weeks now, shes eatting,... (12437 views)

cat with trouble breathing I have a cat named Bunny, she is about 4 or 5 years old, she is a little over... (25464 views)

Itchy by tail Dr. Marie, my dog always kind of chews/bites/scratches under the right side of his... (6902 views)

Cat with diarrhea but eating. My 12 year old tabby had watery diarrhea and vomited 1 night ago. I took food away... (24345 views)

In pain after spay. Our dog got spayed 2 days ago and she still cries in pain quite a bit. I was... (11251 views)

Can you die from a cat bite? hello dr.marie.i am too small to pay your fees but scared that i am not getting any... (18909 views)

Puppy chewing legs and licking penis Harley chews on himself constantly. He likes his penis, he chews on his legs,... (17610 views)