Front leg and neck pain.

Breed: Shih Tzu
Hi,
I noticed last Thursday my dog being uncomfortable and by Saturday he started having a left front paw limp. Took him to the vet Saturday and he said muscle sprain and gave him metacam. Took it and no change...he was in pain yelping in the night. I returned to the vet Monday and they ordered blood work and gait analysis and X-rays. Everything came normal. They referred me to Neuro surgeon. I took him and they did blood work again, myelogram, and ct scans. Everything was normal. Then they did scf spinal tap. Came back negative for meningitis. So far it's been a week since the symptoms started and he has neck pain and left front paw limp. He's been on pain mess for about a week and just 24 hours in steroids and muscle relaxers. Today is day 8th since he showed symptoms and day 1 on steroids. I am worried sick about him. What could it be? Otherwise, he is happy, alert, eating, drinking an normal functions when he goes to the bathroom. Please help with any advice....I am trying to find out what's wrong with my dog...

Thanks so much in advance!

Oh my goodness...how frustrating. This is a pretty tough question for me to answer, especially considering that specialists who have been able to physically examine Bailey can't get answers for you.

My first thought is that this could be IVDD (intervertebral disc disease) in the neck. Usually we can diagnose that with a myelogram and/or CT scans, but not always.

If this is the case then you should see some improvement with the steroids. It may take a few weeks before he completely recovers.

There are some rare things like, for example a parasite in the spinal column called neospora or toxoplasmosis. These can cause neurological issues and can be hard to diagnose. If there is no improvement you can talk to your vet about testing or treating for these. We usually treat with a medication called clindamycin.

If you live in an area where Lyme disease is seen then it is worthwhile to test for this as well as it can cause vague pain symptoms that are hard to diagnose.

I wish I could offer you more. You've been very thorough and it must be so frustrating to not have an answer! I hope he is feeling better soon!

Thank you so much for your advice Dr. Marie. I am seeing improvement in Bailey and we are on day 4 of steroids he still limps a little but walks most of the time and is full of energy. I will definitely bring the other possible causes (from your response)for his difficult to diagnose symptoms with his vet when we go in for a check up this Tuesday. I feel much better now that I've read your reply and am seeing improvement with steroids.

Best Regards,
Ioana

Dog with balance issues. My dog broke her back molar tooth on a bone 2yrs ago, she did get a infection, but i... (9928 views)

Fishy smell from dog. My boston terrier puts off a fishy smell. It doesn't happen all the time, but... (31324 views)

Dog keeps licking butt. My dog keeps licking her butt. I took her 2 days ago to have her anal glands... (18834 views)

Fleas, pale nose and sick. My cat Ava has lost alomot all of her hair and so much weight i can see her hip... (5123 views)

Canine tooth extracted. My cat recently underwent a procedure to remove her broken, upper right canine. It... (6514 views)

Dogs ate chocolate and sugar. I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We... (19350 views)

Recall on Hill's food? My cat got I'll suddenly three weeks ago. Committing, lethargy, diarrhea , lack of... (4839 views)

Losing weight but lab tests normal. My cat is losing weight, vomiting, more vocal than normal, lethargic and hungry all... (10634 views)

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (5729 views)

Cat with megacolon. My 12-year old cat was diagnosed with megacolon about five years ago. When he looks... (6717 views)