Front leg and neck pain.

Breed: Shih Tzu
Hi,
I noticed last Thursday my dog being uncomfortable and by Saturday he started having a left front paw limp. Took him to the vet Saturday and he said muscle sprain and gave him metacam. Took it and no change...he was in pain yelping in the night. I returned to the vet Monday and they ordered blood work and gait analysis and X-rays. Everything came normal. They referred me to Neuro surgeon. I took him and they did blood work again, myelogram, and ct scans. Everything was normal. Then they did scf spinal tap. Came back negative for meningitis. So far it's been a week since the symptoms started and he has neck pain and left front paw limp. He's been on pain mess for about a week and just 24 hours in steroids and muscle relaxers. Today is day 8th since he showed symptoms and day 1 on steroids. I am worried sick about him. What could it be? Otherwise, he is happy, alert, eating, drinking an normal functions when he goes to the bathroom. Please help with any advice....I am trying to find out what's wrong with my dog...

Thanks so much in advance!

Oh my goodness...how frustrating. This is a pretty tough question for me to answer, especially considering that specialists who have been able to physically examine Bailey can't get answers for you.

My first thought is that this could be IVDD (intervertebral disc disease) in the neck. Usually we can diagnose that with a myelogram and/or CT scans, but not always.

If this is the case then you should see some improvement with the steroids. It may take a few weeks before he completely recovers.

There are some rare things like, for example a parasite in the spinal column called neospora or toxoplasmosis. These can cause neurological issues and can be hard to diagnose. If there is no improvement you can talk to your vet about testing or treating for these. We usually treat with a medication called clindamycin.

If you live in an area where Lyme disease is seen then it is worthwhile to test for this as well as it can cause vague pain symptoms that are hard to diagnose.

I wish I could offer you more. You've been very thorough and it must be so frustrating to not have an answer! I hope he is feeling better soon!

Thank you so much for your advice Dr. Marie. I am seeing improvement in Bailey and we are on day 4 of steroids he still limps a little but walks most of the time and is full of energy. I will definitely bring the other possible causes (from your response)for his difficult to diagnose symptoms with his vet when we go in for a check up this Tuesday. I feel much better now that I've read your reply and am seeing improvement with steroids.

Best Regards,
Ioana

Take temperature orally? My dog is recovering from pretty serious surgery. I am supposed to be taking his... (31347 views)

Trouble going to the bathroom. First off i want to say i really wish i could do the paid option so i could for sure... (8765 views)

Tapeworm and roundworm meds. Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him... (25573 views)

Cat is shedding a lot. I have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of hair Abby loses every time I... (6866 views)

Infection on leg. My dog has been licking his inner thigh to the point where it is very red and there... (19276 views)

Hyperesthesia syndrome? I have a unique situation. Recently I have moved to a new apt 3 hours away from... (5431 views)

Blood behind dog's ears. I noticed a couple of days ago what looked like mud behind her ears, now it's bloody... (35355 views)

Ear infection in labradoodle. Hi Dr. Marie, I have an 8 month old Australian Labradoodle who has had a yeast... (17141 views)

Overgrooming cat. I RESCUED THE CAT FROM THE STREETS 10 MONTHS AGO. HES 20 POUNDS, EATS WELL, I GIVE... (9970 views)

Kidney problems in ferret. Hi there, I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week,... (12878 views)