Front leg and neck pain.

Breed: Shih Tzu
Hi,
I noticed last Thursday my dog being uncomfortable and by Saturday he started having a left front paw limp. Took him to the vet Saturday and he said muscle sprain and gave him metacam. Took it and no change...he was in pain yelping in the night. I returned to the vet Monday and they ordered blood work and gait analysis and X-rays. Everything came normal. They referred me to Neuro surgeon. I took him and they did blood work again, myelogram, and ct scans. Everything was normal. Then they did scf spinal tap. Came back negative for meningitis. So far it's been a week since the symptoms started and he has neck pain and left front paw limp. He's been on pain mess for about a week and just 24 hours in steroids and muscle relaxers. Today is day 8th since he showed symptoms and day 1 on steroids. I am worried sick about him. What could it be? Otherwise, he is happy, alert, eating, drinking an normal functions when he goes to the bathroom. Please help with any advice....I am trying to find out what's wrong with my dog...

Thanks so much in advance!

Oh my goodness...how frustrating. This is a pretty tough question for me to answer, especially considering that specialists who have been able to physically examine Bailey can't get answers for you.

My first thought is that this could be IVDD (intervertebral disc disease) in the neck. Usually we can diagnose that with a myelogram and/or CT scans, but not always.

If this is the case then you should see some improvement with the steroids. It may take a few weeks before he completely recovers.

There are some rare things like, for example a parasite in the spinal column called neospora or toxoplasmosis. These can cause neurological issues and can be hard to diagnose. If there is no improvement you can talk to your vet about testing or treating for these. We usually treat with a medication called clindamycin.

If you live in an area where Lyme disease is seen then it is worthwhile to test for this as well as it can cause vague pain symptoms that are hard to diagnose.

I wish I could offer you more. You've been very thorough and it must be so frustrating to not have an answer! I hope he is feeling better soon!

Thank you so much for your advice Dr. Marie. I am seeing improvement in Bailey and we are on day 4 of steroids he still limps a little but walks most of the time and is full of energy. I will definitely bring the other possible causes (from your response)for his difficult to diagnose symptoms with his vet when we go in for a check up this Tuesday. I feel much better now that I've read your reply and am seeing improvement with steroids.

Best Regards,
Ioana

Lump with open sores. Hello. My dog has a very large lump on his leg with open sores which bleeds... (26935 views)

Lump under dog's eye? Hello, A couple days ago I noticed a red-pink bump under my dog's right eye. It... (24306 views)

How often to vaccinate for parvo. Hi How often should I get my dog vaccinated for Parvo? She was vaccinated May... (38401 views)

Inbreeding dogs. is it true that if a female dog and her son have a relationship will the puppies... (39895 views)

Dog with bloody stool. Hi, I mistakenly changed my dog's food without mixing which I now know is a big... (11799 views)

Dog won't eat. well dr my dog he always wants to go outside and doesnt want to eat his food and we... (10633 views)

Lung problem in dog. Our cuddly Walter had "kennel cough" several times throughout his life (about 5),... (5999 views)

Blood pressure for a bird. What is a normal Blood pressure for an AFrican Grey Parrot her wing pressure was... (7168 views)

Anxious at night time. Okay, So this is a slightly weird question but it is one that is extremely... (29526 views)

Tick Borne Disease. I took my dog to the vet on both Friday and Saturday. He has a fever. He has a... (9389 views)