Puppy not eating.

Hello my 7 month old pup just recently started to eat less. This just started 2 weeks ago. Before he would lick his bowl clean and have a huge appetite for food. Now he smells his food eats a little and walks away.He eats most of his food and leaves less then half. His stool is soft so i took him to see a vet, and they sent his stool so it can be tested for parasites. It came back negative. He is acting normal running, jumping and barking. His coat is also shedding a bit more. It could be because its winter ?. I just want a second opinion . I feed him abady dog food and add some chicken on top. Boiled chicken meat only no bone of course. Is this a stage or can it be something else.

This is a tough question to answer as I won't have a 100% for sure answer but I can give you a few ideas.

My first question is whether or not he is neutered. If not, then it could be hormones that are affecting his appetite. If there is a female dog in heat within miles of your house, the desire to breed can be so strong that it can stress a dog out to the point where it causes them to not eat.

Next, how old is your bag of food? If you have a brand new bag it is possible that there is a problem with the food. If it's near the end of the bag it's possible that the food has nonvisible mold in it. Does he eat the chicken willingly? If he will eat the chicken and not the food then it's worthwhile to try him with a new bag of food or a different brand and see what happens.

If this continues then the next step would be to get some blood tests done to make sure that there is no sort of underlying disease like a kidney problem or a liver problem. These are not common in young dogs but can happen, for example, if a toxin is ingested.

And if that doesn't turn anything up then some xrays may be necessary. The symptoms are not exactly typical of a foreign object but it's possible. Puppies can very easily eat things that they should not. You would usually expect vomiting, but not always.

It is also possible that he is just maturing. If he is done the bulk of his growing then he may have a reduced appetite. But, it sounds like this is a little more drastic than that. Plus, at 7 months he should still have some growing to do.

The shedding could very well be normal for this time of year, or it could be indicative of an underlying problem. Unfortunately there is no way to say for certain why it is happening.

I wish I could give you an exact answer, but hopefully this helps.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Thanks for the quick response . I just tried switching his food . My neighbor gave me some food which is a kibble vs his old granular food. He did not hesitate and began chomping away. He didn't finish the whole 2 cups. he left a little in his bowl. I will try this for the next few days. I think this is a good sign. But him not finishing his food makes me think if there is something wrong. Do you think i am over thinking ?

Who knows! :)

If there is something wrong then you will find that his appetite starts to decline again after a couple of days on the new food. If this happens I would ask your vet to run some bloodwork and maybe xrays.

thanks Dr. Marie for the advice .

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (6059 views)

Yellow skin and urine. My cat has been lethargic for about two weeks. Last week I noticed her Urine was... (10192 views)

Dog not urinating after neuter. Hi dr just wondering if you could help me. My 1year old American Akita diesel had... (33958 views)

Can I give hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting? I gave my puppy a tablespoon and a half of hydrogen peroxide to help him throw up... (22560 views)

Do dogs get chicken pox? Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and... (44838 views)

Tick Borne Disease. I took my dog to the vet on both Friday and Saturday. He has a fever. He has a... (8466 views)

What are these little brown bugs. hi um my puppy named chesley is 6-8 months andi just got her recently i cant remeber... (18982 views)

Ketoconazole for dogs. How safe is it to give my dog ketoconazole 200 mg tab fur a fungal infection? The... (23753 views)

Rabbit with maggots Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were... (8325 views)

Bladder cancer and can't walk. I accidentally closed the window the first time I got directed here so think that I... (9462 views)