Puppy not eating.

Breed: GERMAN SHEPHERD
Hello my 7 month old pup just recently started to eat less. This just started 2 weeks ago. Before he would lick his bowl clean and have a huge appetite for food. Now he smells his food eats a little and walks away.He eats most of his food and leaves less then half. His stool is soft so i took him to see a vet, and they sent his stool so it can be tested for parasites. It came back negative. He is acting normal running, jumping and barking. His coat is also shedding a bit more. It could be because its winter ?. I just want a second opinion . I feed him abady dog food and add some chicken on top. Boiled chicken meat only no bone of course. Is this a stage or can it be something else.

This is a tough question to answer as I won't have a 100% for sure answer but I can give you a few ideas.

My first question is whether or not he is neutered. If not, then it could be hormones that are affecting his appetite. If there is a female dog in heat within miles of your house, the desire to breed can be so strong that it can stress a dog out to the point where it causes them to not eat.

Next, how old is your bag of food? If you have a brand new bag it is possible that there is a problem with the food. If it's near the end of the bag it's possible that the food has nonvisible mold in it. Does he eat the chicken willingly? If he will eat the chicken and not the food then it's worthwhile to try him with a new bag of food or a different brand and see what happens.

If this continues then the next step would be to get some blood tests done to make sure that there is no sort of underlying disease like a kidney problem or a liver problem. These are not common in young dogs but can happen, for example, if a toxin is ingested.

And if that doesn't turn anything up then some xrays may be necessary. The symptoms are not exactly typical of a foreign object but it's possible. Puppies can very easily eat things that they should not. You would usually expect vomiting, but not always.

It is also possible that he is just maturing. If he is done the bulk of his growing then he may have a reduced appetite. But, it sounds like this is a little more drastic than that. Plus, at 7 months he should still have some growing to do.

The shedding could very well be normal for this time of year, or it could be indicative of an underlying problem. Unfortunately there is no way to say for certain why it is happening.

I wish I could give you an exact answer, but hopefully this helps.

Thanks for the quick response . I just tried switching his food . My neighbor gave me some food which is a kibble vs his old granular food. He did not hesitate and began chomping away. He didn't finish the whole 2 cups. he left a little in his bowl. I will try this for the next few days. I think this is a good sign. But him not finishing his food makes me think if there is something wrong. Do you think i am over thinking ?

Who knows! :)

If there is something wrong then you will find that his appetite starts to decline again after a couple of days on the new food. If this happens I would ask your vet to run some bloodwork and maybe xrays.

thanks Dr. Marie for the advice .

Tug of war caused hernia? Can playing tug of war with a male dog cause a... (4121 views)

Problems after ear cleaning. I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he... (10123 views)

Wart on dog's foot. Last Friday I was walking my dog and he suddenly pulled up his front right paw and... (21579 views)

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (6742 views)

Cat with green patch on skin. first i would like to thank you for your time. When my cat was a kitten i thought... (13196 views)

Dog has a bald patch over eye. Hello, I have a miniature Dashchund which is 5 mnths old and she is in perfect... (11832 views)

Sick guinea pig. hello, i need help. my guinea pig peppy is really dehydrated and really weak, today... (10909 views)

Hip dysplasia in pupp Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and... (25184 views)

Cat constantly in heat. Hi, I have a cat, she is little less than 2 years old. She is always in heat like 1... (22058 views)

Scabs on cat's ear and neck. Hi. I adopted a cat and she was doing fine. I noticed that she was loosing hair in... (14051 views)