Dog shaking head.

Breed: mixed - boxer/?
My dog is thought to have ear mites (I thought this only happened to outside dogs??) He shakes his head constantly. He also has allergies. I already spend a fortune for gluten free food for him. I have been using an ear cleaner R-7 Natural Ear Cleaner with Chamomle & Marigold and using Mometamax 15 gram applied once daily for 14 days. He still repeatedly shakes his head and I'm afraid it's not working. I've only been doing this for a week so far. Should I see some results by now? He only seems some better. I am single and just have found a job. I had to borrow the money to get the $40.00 prescription for the Mometamax. I can't stand to see him so miserable.
Please help. Thank you for caring for animals.

Sorry to hear that Memphis is not doing well. While dogs of any age can get ear mites they are not common in an adult dog. By far, the most common problem that would cause these symptoms is either a bacterial infection or a yeast infection or a combination of the two. However, most bacterial or yeast infections should be able to be treated with Mometamax.

There are a few possible reasons for an ear infection to not clear up with medication. It is possible that we are dealing with a resistant infection. Unfortunately the only way to know this is to have your vet do a test called a culture where they send a swab to the lab to find out exactly what type of bacteria is growing in there and exactly which medication would be best to give.

It is also possible that Memphis has underlying allergies. These don't necessarily need to be food allergies. Many dogs are allergic to things in the environment such as grass or dust or pollen. You may want to ask your vet if they will prescribe a small dose of a steroid which will help greatly with allergies.

Was your vet able to look deep down inside the ear? Although uncommon, it is possible that there is something stuck in there. Additionally, it is possible that there is a ruptured ear drum. If this is the case then the Mometamax could actually be a little harmful.

It it was a really chronic infection it is possible that the drug just needs a little more time to be effective though.

I wish I had an inexpensive solution for you, but I have found that ear problems can take a lot of time and money to get them totally cleared up. If things are not 100% improved after the drugs are done he will need to go back and see the vet again.

Down in the hock. Hello, About two weeks ago I came home from being away a couple of hours and... (6029 views)

Megaesophagus in a puppy. I have a 7 week old lab/pit mix puppy who has been throwing up her food since we got... (8362 views)

Cat has diarrhea. Hi, Our cat has diarrhea - it seems that she licks and licks herself and then it... (7867 views)

Dog panting at night time. I would like to know if you can tell me why my dog is panting at night time. I have... (298890 views)

Feeding a cat with fatty liver. Hi Dr. Marie, I am in a bit of a muddy situation. My client changed vets for ONE of... (6868 views)

IVDD in Basset Hound? Frank has had a very hard stomach for 2.5 days now and he is not drinking much... (38552 views)

Bump on tail tip. I noticed a small bump near the very end of my dog's tail, about 1/2 inch wide. She... (40190 views)

Vasculitis and skin infection. Hey Dr. Marie, We've got a doberman with a hard-to-diagnose skin issue. Usually... (17186 views)

Dentistry on older cat. My cat, who is a 19 year old spayed male we have had his entire life is fairly... (14061 views)

Dog ate mouldy treats. My labs get milkbone treats twice a day...I just noticed they have mold on them.... (10204 views)