Dog shaking head.

Breed: mixed - boxer/?
My dog is thought to have ear mites (I thought this only happened to outside dogs??) He shakes his head constantly. He also has allergies. I already spend a fortune for gluten free food for him. I have been using an ear cleaner R-7 Natural Ear Cleaner with Chamomle & Marigold and using Mometamax 15 gram applied once daily for 14 days. He still repeatedly shakes his head and I'm afraid it's not working. I've only been doing this for a week so far. Should I see some results by now? He only seems some better. I am single and just have found a job. I had to borrow the money to get the $40.00 prescription for the Mometamax. I can't stand to see him so miserable.
Please help. Thank you for caring for animals.

Sorry to hear that Memphis is not doing well. While dogs of any age can get ear mites they are not common in an adult dog. By far, the most common problem that would cause these symptoms is either a bacterial infection or a yeast infection or a combination of the two. However, most bacterial or yeast infections should be able to be treated with Mometamax.

There are a few possible reasons for an ear infection to not clear up with medication. It is possible that we are dealing with a resistant infection. Unfortunately the only way to know this is to have your vet do a test called a culture where they send a swab to the lab to find out exactly what type of bacteria is growing in there and exactly which medication would be best to give.

It is also possible that Memphis has underlying allergies. These don't necessarily need to be food allergies. Many dogs are allergic to things in the environment such as grass or dust or pollen. You may want to ask your vet if they will prescribe a small dose of a steroid which will help greatly with allergies.

Was your vet able to look deep down inside the ear? Although uncommon, it is possible that there is something stuck in there. Additionally, it is possible that there is a ruptured ear drum. If this is the case then the Mometamax could actually be a little harmful.

It it was a really chronic infection it is possible that the drug just needs a little more time to be effective though.

I wish I had an inexpensive solution for you, but I have found that ear problems can take a lot of time and money to get them totally cleared up. If things are not 100% improved after the drugs are done he will need to go back and see the vet again.

Gagging dog. Last night, my dog was in his crate for bed, when I heard him gag for the first... (89670 views)

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (7345 views)

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (16169 views)

Not eating and tired cat. My kitty is a very playful cat. Runs, jumps and cuddles all day long. He is looking... (49728 views)

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (18969 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (15348 views)

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (17010 views)

Lump after vaccines. We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he... (32240 views)

Itchy hamster. What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what... (20809 views)

Cat pooping on floor. My cat doesn't poop in her litter box, so I put down rugs near her litter box and... (10523 views)