Dog shaking head.

Breed: mixed - boxer/?
My dog is thought to have ear mites (I thought this only happened to outside dogs??) He shakes his head constantly. He also has allergies. I already spend a fortune for gluten free food for him. I have been using an ear cleaner R-7 Natural Ear Cleaner with Chamomle & Marigold and using Mometamax 15 gram applied once daily for 14 days. He still repeatedly shakes his head and I'm afraid it's not working. I've only been doing this for a week so far. Should I see some results by now? He only seems some better. I am single and just have found a job. I had to borrow the money to get the $40.00 prescription for the Mometamax. I can't stand to see him so miserable.
Please help. Thank you for caring for animals.

Sorry to hear that Memphis is not doing well. While dogs of any age can get ear mites they are not common in an adult dog. By far, the most common problem that would cause these symptoms is either a bacterial infection or a yeast infection or a combination of the two. However, most bacterial or yeast infections should be able to be treated with Mometamax.

There are a few possible reasons for an ear infection to not clear up with medication. It is possible that we are dealing with a resistant infection. Unfortunately the only way to know this is to have your vet do a test called a culture where they send a swab to the lab to find out exactly what type of bacteria is growing in there and exactly which medication would be best to give.

It is also possible that Memphis has underlying allergies. These don't necessarily need to be food allergies. Many dogs are allergic to things in the environment such as grass or dust or pollen. You may want to ask your vet if they will prescribe a small dose of a steroid which will help greatly with allergies.

Was your vet able to look deep down inside the ear? Although uncommon, it is possible that there is something stuck in there. Additionally, it is possible that there is a ruptured ear drum. If this is the case then the Mometamax could actually be a little harmful.

It it was a really chronic infection it is possible that the drug just needs a little more time to be effective though.

I wish I had an inexpensive solution for you, but I have found that ear problems can take a lot of time and money to get them totally cleared up. If things are not 100% improved after the drugs are done he will need to go back and see the vet again.

Sensitive tail and belly. My cat was spayed almost 5 months ago, and I've noticed since then, that she does... (4490 views)

Achilles tendon problems in cat. Chloe recently started walking with her heel down to the ground on the right side(2... (10890 views)

Remove lumps? Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in... (10399 views)

Died after grooming. Hi, my puppy recently died and was wondering if you could help me, she had a trip to... (8595 views)

Constantly meowing for food. Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our... (6072 views)

Broken leg - not eating. Last night my 7 week old puppy broke her leg , we took her to the emergency pet... (6715 views)

Rash on Daschund My dog has a very red rash on her lower abdominal area and vaginal area. She bites... (11809 views)

Diarrhea and pale gums in a kitten. My cat has dirra for about two week i have notice his gum is pale pink what should... (10076 views)

Dog going blind. Our dog Vinnie started suddenly to become lethargic and then over a period of 4... (7667 views)

Vet didn't ask my permission. I came home to find my beloved cat unable to stand (seemed drunken) and felt cooler... (8597 views)