Dog shaking head.

Breed: mixed - boxer/?
My dog is thought to have ear mites (I thought this only happened to outside dogs??) He shakes his head constantly. He also has allergies. I already spend a fortune for gluten free food for him. I have been using an ear cleaner R-7 Natural Ear Cleaner with Chamomle & Marigold and using Mometamax 15 gram applied once daily for 14 days. He still repeatedly shakes his head and I'm afraid it's not working. I've only been doing this for a week so far. Should I see some results by now? He only seems some better. I am single and just have found a job. I had to borrow the money to get the $40.00 prescription for the Mometamax. I can't stand to see him so miserable.
Please help. Thank you for caring for animals.

Sorry to hear that Memphis is not doing well. While dogs of any age can get ear mites they are not common in an adult dog. By far, the most common problem that would cause these symptoms is either a bacterial infection or a yeast infection or a combination of the two. However, most bacterial or yeast infections should be able to be treated with Mometamax.

There are a few possible reasons for an ear infection to not clear up with medication. It is possible that we are dealing with a resistant infection. Unfortunately the only way to know this is to have your vet do a test called a culture where they send a swab to the lab to find out exactly what type of bacteria is growing in there and exactly which medication would be best to give.

It is also possible that Memphis has underlying allergies. These don't necessarily need to be food allergies. Many dogs are allergic to things in the environment such as grass or dust or pollen. You may want to ask your vet if they will prescribe a small dose of a steroid which will help greatly with allergies.

Was your vet able to look deep down inside the ear? Although uncommon, it is possible that there is something stuck in there. Additionally, it is possible that there is a ruptured ear drum. If this is the case then the Mometamax could actually be a little harmful.

It it was a really chronic infection it is possible that the drug just needs a little more time to be effective though.

I wish I had an inexpensive solution for you, but I have found that ear problems can take a lot of time and money to get them totally cleared up. If things are not 100% improved after the drugs are done he will need to go back and see the vet again.

Really bad skin issues. there is a PHOTO on the Pet-Forums-UK website, on the Dog Health sub-forum under Dog... (10012 views)

Cat has fleas. My poor cat has fleas, he is losing hair and is just miserable. I am looking for a... (5519 views)

Young cat died after sneezing. I run a very small rescue. I have about 10 cat cages that I utilize. I had four... (8404 views)

Boxer fainted. My 1 1/2 year old boxer fainted or collapsed yesterday evening as he was walking to... (8482 views)

Cat doesn't want to move. My cats bio: July was infested with fleas. Took two months to totally rid them from... (6045 views)

Dog has distemper. My dog is coughing ,vomiting whatever he eats but he has appetite took him to a vet.... (9321 views)

Possibly hip dysplasia. Dear Dr. Marie, I recently had to put my dog down as he was only two and a half... (7890 views)

Senior cat losing weight. My cat is approx. 16 years old. The last few months she has been losing a lot of... (9668 views)

Black scab on anus Good day Dr. Marie, I read one of your previous questions and answer about a dog... (47207 views)

Puppy chewing legs and licking penis Harley chews on himself constantly. He likes his penis, he chews on his legs,... (19259 views)