Methamphetamine use by dog.

Breed: Miniature long hair
"My dog has mental breakdown in which he acts like he is on drugs. he runs in circles...he see's things...his eyes turn black as night....his eyes go back... and stays up all night...his original owner was a methamphetamine dealer and I think he ate it regularly....I took him to the vet and she put him on Prozac for a couple months but he still has these breakdowns...they are occurring more frequently...sometimes...2 times per week...from once every couple of months... Please help.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having this difficult problem with your dog. This sounds like a very tough thing to deal with.

I have seen some dogs that actually have a seizure disorder that can cause them to do things like this. You may want to ask your vet about trying a medication called phenobarbital. If this is a type of a seizure then this may help.

Another possibility, (although it seems less likely) is that he is having episodes of pain, perhaps back pain?) It could be worthwhile to try him on some anti-inflammatory medication prescribed by your vet to see if that makes a difference.

If this is because of the drugs I'm not sure if there is anything else that can be done.

I wish I had more advice for you!

thank u dr....isnt phenobarbetol a heavy duty type of narcotic or something like that? could his siezers last that many hours....over 24 most of the time...he does cry when i pick him up or rub his back so i dont think his back hurts...i could be wrong though dr...im willing to look at everything but please tell me more abt the lhenobarbetol and the seizors? what kind of seizures? and cause from what?...he was up for a day in a half and is completely out today...he will all day today and part of tomoerw...i hav to force feed him water in an eyedropper when he is having an episode too...i

Phenobarb is not a narcotic. Most dogs do well with it and really don't have side effects when they are taking it.

I'll be honest, the seizure idea is really just a guess. It would be unusual for a seizure to last that long. However, it's possible that he has a seizure and then what you are seeing for 24 hours is something called the "post-ictal phase". Many dogs who have a seizure will feel really really strange for a good number of hours afterwards.

It's worth asking your doctor about. But unfortunately what we do from here will just be trial and error.

thank u dr...i was hopi.g u woulding say it was more than likely his brain...my fear .was a possibility of brain cancer etc...he is my baby...my best friend....so should i just go back to the vet with ur ideas...i at least feel like i have a little amunition...u understand? i dont want to spend $100'$ on bs tests et......i want the truth a.d theb i will do what it takes for my baby...thank u dr....pls reply..
my last questions...

I think the problem here is that you could end up doing a lot of tests but still not have an answer. So, yes, I would say it is worthwhile to ask your vet if a trial of phenobarbital is a good idea.

A tumor in the brain is a possibility as well, although it doesn't usually cause symptoms like this. Unfortunately the only way to diagnose this would be to do a CT scan which would be quite expensive. And even then there wouldn't be anything that could be done.

Thank u again dr.mSo what do I say to my vet? That I have spoke to you and that u feel that this could be a type of siezer and you feel that phenobarbital may relieve it? Yes...a ct sounds very expensive...it just kills me that vet bills are so expensive...that there is no good insurance for them...and that we even have to think twice about treating them...we wouldn't think twice if it were our children....I'm sorry...I'm just very sad over this..he is my baby and .he is having another episode right now...3 in 3 days...very bad....excuse my French...but shit what am I to do???

Michele

I would simply ask your vet if some type of a seizure is possible and if they feel that phenobarbital would help.

my last questions...

Hi Michele. There really isn't much more that I can tell you. I hope things improve soon.

Should older dog be spayed? Hi, I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than... (10467 views)

Why did my kitten die? I came home last night to find my kitten laying dead in her kennel. We rescued her... (11633 views)

Bumps on belly and vomiting. MY NEO IS AROUND 2 MONTHS OLD,NOT YET VACCINATED. FOR SOME DAYS BOILS ARE... (7296 views)

Tail tip injury. our dog is golden retriever 5 years old, he had happy tail and somehow cut the tip... (7251 views)

Dog has lump on top of head. My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a... (32268 views)

Herpes and sore mouth. My 2 year old short hair tabby was diagnosed with FHV quite early on.. he's been... (12996 views)

Cancer in lung? Hello You answered already a questions with respect to my dog Mara (x rays: lots of... (28623 views)

Benadryl for allergies? Dear Dr. Marie, Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes... (6740 views)

Vomiting puppy. My 30 day old Lab is pukes when I feed him milk and I think is dehydrated as his... (11532 views)

Pregnancy question. My golden retriver mated with my chiuahuh and the chihuhah is pregnat would i need... (9434 views)