Spot on eye.

Breed: Boxer
My boxer scratched his eye. Went to Vet and confirmed and they put him on Neomycin cream that I put in his eye for a week. Went back for re-check and was told to keep doing Neomycin for another week and then went back again. Scratch is gone, but he still has a white cloudy area in the center of the eye. They then put him on Ofloxacin drops every 4 hours for 5 days. They said the next step would be Eye Debridement at a cost of $500.00 if it didn't clear. Were to day 5 and the cloudy area is still in the center of his eye. He doesn't seem bothered by it except when he first gets up in the morning he rubs it. My wife just had foot surgery which we had to pay $2700.00 insurance deductible, so $500.00 is hard to come by right now. Do I have any other less expensive alternatives or will this heal on its own or is eye debridement our only option at this point? I want him to get better, and if eye debridement is the only next step, so be it. Just getting a second opinion.
Thanks

Sorry to hear that Bo is having these problems.

Neomycin is a common drug to use for a scratched eye in a dog. I will commonly use a combo called BNP which is bacitracin, neomycin and polymyxin.

This is a tough question to answer without seeing Bo's eye. Sometimes, after having an ulcer (scratch) on the eye we can get some scarring which appears as a white, non-raised area. However, a scar would not cause any discomfort at all, so if he is irritated with it then it sounds like there is still more that needs to be done.

It sounds like your vets are concerned that it has not healed properly. When an scratch heals on an eye, the cells heal from the outside in. Sometimes, there can be a "lip" of dead cells in the middle that just won't heal. When this happens then we usually do some type of debridement.

If we don't clear up the dead cells then there may always be a problem, or even worse, he can get a more serious lesion on the eye that could either require more surgery or possibly cause the eye to rupture.

I understand the issues with finances. The hardest part of my job is that I have to charge for the services that pets need. If it helps at all, here is a list of organizations that can help with paying for vet bills.

You can also ask your vet if they would feel comfortable about waiting for another week or two to do the surgery, or if they really feel it needs to be done right away.

I hope everything works out ok!

Related question: Possible stye on dog's eye

Chicken jerky from Thailand. We hear about the chicken jerkey from China, how about the jerkey from Thiland. Do... (7107 views)

Kitten has a cold and is congested. the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be... (12023 views)

Human mouthwash for dog? Can I give my dog diluted mouthwash (regular people mouthwash) I want to mix a... (21322 views)

Fishy smelling urine. Hi - my dog Bluebell has had a fishy smell to her urine for quite some time and... (30492 views)

Pancreatic enzymes. How do we handle a situation when we unexpectely temporaryly are without the... (8749 views)

Soft yellow stools and weight loss Sorry that this is long, but I want to give ALL details in case it helps. I... (40357 views)

Red bugs on my dog. my dog has red bugs on him i have no idea what to do PLZ ANSWER THIS I LOVE MY DOG I... (14824 views)

Why do dogs eat grass? I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has... (15218 views)

Kitten panting. My previous cats lived to be 18 yrs, so it's a long time since I had a young one. ... (6183 views)

Puppy leaking urine. My puppy seems to be going pee while he sleeps .. He's 7 weeks old. Is this normal?... (9853 views)