Spot on eye.

Breed: Boxer
My boxer scratched his eye. Went to Vet and confirmed and they put him on Neomycin cream that I put in his eye for a week. Went back for re-check and was told to keep doing Neomycin for another week and then went back again. Scratch is gone, but he still has a white cloudy area in the center of the eye. They then put him on Ofloxacin drops every 4 hours for 5 days. They said the next step would be Eye Debridement at a cost of $500.00 if it didn't clear. Were to day 5 and the cloudy area is still in the center of his eye. He doesn't seem bothered by it except when he first gets up in the morning he rubs it. My wife just had foot surgery which we had to pay $2700.00 insurance deductible, so $500.00 is hard to come by right now. Do I have any other less expensive alternatives or will this heal on its own or is eye debridement our only option at this point? I want him to get better, and if eye debridement is the only next step, so be it. Just getting a second opinion.
Thanks

Sorry to hear that Bo is having these problems.

Neomycin is a common drug to use for a scratched eye in a dog. I will commonly use a combo called BNP which is bacitracin, neomycin and polymyxin.

This is a tough question to answer without seeing Bo's eye. Sometimes, after having an ulcer (scratch) on the eye we can get some scarring which appears as a white, non-raised area. However, a scar would not cause any discomfort at all, so if he is irritated with it then it sounds like there is still more that needs to be done.

It sounds like your vets are concerned that it has not healed properly. When an scratch heals on an eye, the cells heal from the outside in. Sometimes, there can be a "lip" of dead cells in the middle that just won't heal. When this happens then we usually do some type of debridement.

If we don't clear up the dead cells then there may always be a problem, or even worse, he can get a more serious lesion on the eye that could either require more surgery or possibly cause the eye to rupture.

I understand the issues with finances. The hardest part of my job is that I have to charge for the services that pets need. If it helps at all, here is a list of organizations that can help with paying for vet bills.

You can also ask your vet if they would feel comfortable about waiting for another week or two to do the surgery, or if they really feel it needs to be done right away.

I hope everything works out ok!

Related question: Possible stye on dog's eye

New hamster tips. Ok well im getting a hamster tomorrow and i had one a few years ago. a few years ago... (8003 views)

How much exercise for a puppy? Hi Dr Marie, I'm pleased to report Max is doing well.. changing from Iams to p/d... (7915 views)

Coughing puppy. My 3 month old puppy is trying to hack/cough up as if she has something stuck in... (11019 views)

Does parvo affect sperm? My dog, Moose, had Parvo Virus when he was eight months old. Yes, Moose got Parvo... (8948 views)

High bile acids Hi Dr. Marie Over the course of the past 9 months, my dog Oreo's liver enzymes... (45852 views)

Pregnant 10 month old dog. my mini doberman is 10 months and shes pregnant can she die? and how many dogs can... (12531 views)

Dog has warm ears. Is it normal for my dog to have warm ears? There is no discharge and the ears are... (84687 views)

Cat is getting lazy. Not urgent. Snowy used to play with paper and bottle tops and whatever else he could... (11247 views)

White tongue in a kitten. Kitten 6weeks old looks like a 4 week old. Sootie has a white tongue? Is it... (15962 views)

Puppy has diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie. We just got a puppy and she has some diarrhea. We got her on Saturday... (26234 views)