Spot on eye.

Breed: Boxer
My boxer scratched his eye. Went to Vet and confirmed and they put him on Neomycin cream that I put in his eye for a week. Went back for re-check and was told to keep doing Neomycin for another week and then went back again. Scratch is gone, but he still has a white cloudy area in the center of the eye. They then put him on Ofloxacin drops every 4 hours for 5 days. They said the next step would be Eye Debridement at a cost of $500.00 if it didn't clear. Were to day 5 and the cloudy area is still in the center of his eye. He doesn't seem bothered by it except when he first gets up in the morning he rubs it. My wife just had foot surgery which we had to pay $2700.00 insurance deductible, so $500.00 is hard to come by right now. Do I have any other less expensive alternatives or will this heal on its own or is eye debridement our only option at this point? I want him to get better, and if eye debridement is the only next step, so be it. Just getting a second opinion.
Thanks

Sorry to hear that Bo is having these problems.

Neomycin is a common drug to use for a scratched eye in a dog. I will commonly use a combo called BNP which is bacitracin, neomycin and polymyxin.

This is a tough question to answer without seeing Bo's eye. Sometimes, after having an ulcer (scratch) on the eye we can get some scarring which appears as a white, non-raised area. However, a scar would not cause any discomfort at all, so if he is irritated with it then it sounds like there is still more that needs to be done.

It sounds like your vets are concerned that it has not healed properly. When an scratch heals on an eye, the cells heal from the outside in. Sometimes, there can be a "lip" of dead cells in the middle that just won't heal. When this happens then we usually do some type of debridement.

If we don't clear up the dead cells then there may always be a problem, or even worse, he can get a more serious lesion on the eye that could either require more surgery or possibly cause the eye to rupture.

I understand the issues with finances. The hardest part of my job is that I have to charge for the services that pets need. If it helps at all, here is a list of organizations that can help with paying for vet bills.

You can also ask your vet if they would feel comfortable about waiting for another week or two to do the surgery, or if they really feel it needs to be done right away.

I hope everything works out ok!

Related question: Possible stye on dog's eye

Puppy biting owners. My Pomeranian puppy is now four months old and last week i gave anti rabies... (14547 views)

Arthritis medicine I have a 10 month old Pomeranian who appears to have hip problems. I am very low... (9580 views)

Persistent hymen in dog. Mam, i own a female german sheperd. the problem is i cant breed her due to the grown... (18128 views)

Tug of war caused hernia? Can playing tug of war with a male dog cause a... (7366 views)

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (22576 views)

Dog was limping and death. My dog was favoring his left front leg and he is an outside dog with lots of energy,... (21374 views)

Too small for spay? My cat is really small, about nine ten pounds,is it safe to get her... (9787 views)

Vaccinate for parvo before 6 weeks? We have a litter of labrador puppies. They are 5 and 1/2 weeks old. Can we... (11853 views)

Chihuahua with hair loss. Hey Dr.Marie. I'm writing to you about my puppy chihuahua. Sooty. She has just... (11384 views)

Boxer with kennel cough. I adopted Shelby from a shelter. She has the kennel cough and I am treating her with... (18140 views)