Spot on eye.

Breed: Boxer
My boxer scratched his eye. Went to Vet and confirmed and they put him on Neomycin cream that I put in his eye for a week. Went back for re-check and was told to keep doing Neomycin for another week and then went back again. Scratch is gone, but he still has a white cloudy area in the center of the eye. They then put him on Ofloxacin drops every 4 hours for 5 days. They said the next step would be Eye Debridement at a cost of $500.00 if it didn't clear. Were to day 5 and the cloudy area is still in the center of his eye. He doesn't seem bothered by it except when he first gets up in the morning he rubs it. My wife just had foot surgery which we had to pay $2700.00 insurance deductible, so $500.00 is hard to come by right now. Do I have any other less expensive alternatives or will this heal on its own or is eye debridement our only option at this point? I want him to get better, and if eye debridement is the only next step, so be it. Just getting a second opinion.
Thanks

Sorry to hear that Bo is having these problems.

Neomycin is a common drug to use for a scratched eye in a dog. I will commonly use a combo called BNP which is bacitracin, neomycin and polymyxin.

This is a tough question to answer without seeing Bo's eye. Sometimes, after having an ulcer (scratch) on the eye we can get some scarring which appears as a white, non-raised area. However, a scar would not cause any discomfort at all, so if he is irritated with it then it sounds like there is still more that needs to be done.

It sounds like your vets are concerned that it has not healed properly. When an scratch heals on an eye, the cells heal from the outside in. Sometimes, there can be a "lip" of dead cells in the middle that just won't heal. When this happens then we usually do some type of debridement.

If we don't clear up the dead cells then there may always be a problem, or even worse, he can get a more serious lesion on the eye that could either require more surgery or possibly cause the eye to rupture.

I understand the issues with finances. The hardest part of my job is that I have to charge for the services that pets need. If it helps at all, here is a list of organizations that can help with paying for vet bills.

You can also ask your vet if they would feel comfortable about waiting for another week or two to do the surgery, or if they really feel it needs to be done right away.

I hope everything works out ok!

Related question: Possible stye on dog's eye

Revolution and fleas my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated... (15645 views)

Bald spot on hamster. My dwarf hamster has a rather large bald spot above her left front leg. I noticed... (26573 views)

Trouble swallowing. My 6-year-old shepherd developed a major mucus production problem in the last month.... (14165 views)

Lack of bladder control. I HAVE A FEMALE COCKER SPANIEL WHO IS THE OFF SPRING OF MY OWN MALE AND FEMALE WHO... (15508 views)

Cat pulling hair out of stomach. Dark has been pulling the hair out of his stomach for over a year. He now has a... (10465 views)

Cut cat's skin while grooming. Help Dr. Marie! While cutting away a clump of matted hair from behind my kitty's... (30547 views)

1 week old puppy checkup can you take a 1 week old puppy to the vet to get it checked to make sure its ok and... (7814 views)

Itchy by tail Dr. Marie, my dog always kind of chews/bites/scratches under the right side of his... (6938 views)

Hill's k/d for bladder stones Nigel developed kidney stones and had surgery to removed them and re-route the... (8879 views)

Vacuolar hepatopathy. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's elevated bile acid... (19959 views)