Can dogs get colds?

Breed: cavalier king charle
Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our eye on her. She is 4 monthes old and has had 2 colds so far. One at the store and one when she was purchased by a family. Somehow the family managed to return the dog and so she is still available. I'm wondering how common it is for small dogs to have colds in the summer at this age.

Thank you.

Hi and thanks for your question.

We really don't see colds in dogs.

Some dogs can get an upper respiratory virus such as kennel cough, but it is quite uncommon to have this twice.

You may want to phone a vet in your area and ask if distemper is common where you live. In my area it is rare, but if you live in an area where distemper is seen I would be concerned that she may have this. Distemper is very serious and life threatening.

If you do consider adopting Lady, only do so if she has a health guarantee (and read the fine print well). Immediately have a vet examine her and give their opinion.

What you have described about her does not sound normal and I am definitely concerned.

Limping Dog. Yesterday, my dog started limping & avoiding putting any weight on his right hind... (24842 views)

Worms in kittens. Hey there, I just got two 9 week old kittens. They have had their shots but they... (68989 views)

Painful erection My 9 month old dog, Jack, has been getting erections that last up to about 10... (21801 views)

Is my hamster dead? My hamster isn't moving like he used too. His eyes are always opened and he isn't... (14321 views)

Kitten was hit by a car. Hello. I would really appreciate if you could help with this situation. My kitten... (9582 views)

Cat with bump on skin. My 5 year old cat has a small bump on the back of his neck. It moves with the skin... (11148 views)

Seizures due to brain tumor? Hello I have a 9 year old standard poodle (neutured) that has had a seizure episode... (17960 views)

Painful dog. I apologize in advance for this being so long, but I want to give the history so you... (8006 views)

Lump on dog's side after fight. Hi there, I have a Chihuahua mix who has this huge, loose swelling on his side. He's... (9682 views)

Vaccines in Nunavut. Hi, We live in the high arctic and don't have access to vet services and thus... (5482 views)