Can dogs get colds?

Breed: cavalier king charle
Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our eye on her. She is 4 monthes old and has had 2 colds so far. One at the store and one when she was purchased by a family. Somehow the family managed to return the dog and so she is still available. I'm wondering how common it is for small dogs to have colds in the summer at this age.

Thank you.

Hi and thanks for your question.

We really don't see colds in dogs.

Some dogs can get an upper respiratory virus such as kennel cough, but it is quite uncommon to have this twice.

You may want to phone a vet in your area and ask if distemper is common where you live. In my area it is rare, but if you live in an area where distemper is seen I would be concerned that she may have this. Distemper is very serious and life threatening.

If you do consider adopting Lady, only do so if she has a health guarantee (and read the fine print well). Immediately have a vet examine her and give their opinion.

What you have described about her does not sound normal and I am definitely concerned.

Down in the hock. Hello, About two weeks ago I came home from being away a couple of hours and... (5320 views)

Cat has a swelling with pus. Hi my name is Retief you see a couple of weeks ago a friend told me my cat fell out... (6481 views)

Elevated kidney enzymes. I brought my dog, Trixie (10 year old Shih Tzu) in this morning for her yearly... (14651 views)

Why do cats lick plastic? I have a 2 year old Himalayan Cat named Felix. He will be 3 in April. He drives me... (23406 views)

Dog going blind. Our dog Vinnie started suddenly to become lethargic and then over a period of 4... (6270 views)

Puppy vomited and became unresponsive. My puppy violet was out on her walk this afternoon and she started dry reaching and... (6887 views)

Mucus in kitten's eyes. I found a kittin this moring it appeared to have mucus around the eyes and nose. I... (22242 views)

Swollen oozing paw. Hello my dog Jack is 10 1/2 years old and he has a very yucky looking paw. It is... (28181 views)

Will I be forced to euthanize? Hello, i have a 14 year old pit bull/bull mastiff mix (50-60 lb and on the smaller... (7360 views)

Itchy dog. Desirae was gave to us,she was dirty and i belive she was kept outside,when we got... (4748 views)