Can dogs get colds?

Breed: cavalier king charle
Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our eye on her. She is 4 monthes old and has had 2 colds so far. One at the store and one when she was purchased by a family. Somehow the family managed to return the dog and so she is still available. I'm wondering how common it is for small dogs to have colds in the summer at this age.

Thank you.

Hi and thanks for your question.

We really don't see colds in dogs.

Some dogs can get an upper respiratory virus such as kennel cough, but it is quite uncommon to have this twice.

You may want to phone a vet in your area and ask if distemper is common where you live. In my area it is rare, but if you live in an area where distemper is seen I would be concerned that she may have this. Distemper is very serious and life threatening.

If you do consider adopting Lady, only do so if she has a health guarantee (and read the fine print well). Immediately have a vet examine her and give their opinion.

What you have described about her does not sound normal and I am definitely concerned.

Euthanize biting dog? My name is Meghan and I am going through a super tough situation and thought maybe... (6257 views)

Kitten with white gums. My kitten is 8 weeks old she just wants to lay around she was playing with the other... (21119 views)

Pattern baldness in dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have noticed that over the last few months my dog seems to be... (10076 views)

Revolution and fleas my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated... (15121 views)

Clumsy,wobbly yorkiepoo. My son put my 11 month old yorkiepoo outside yesterday and he didn't let him back in... (13279 views)

Golden retriever with lymphoma died. My golden retriever was 125 pounds (all muscle) and enjoyed perfect health for all... (31116 views)

Kitten has diarrhea Hi, my four month old cat has not stopped doing runny poos since i have had her. i... (8233 views)

Dog bleeding from anus. My dog is slightly bleeding from her anus, but it isn't noticeable until she sits... (30121 views)

Ovarian remnant syndrome hi i had my cat spayed a year ago and she went back into heat (full blown moaning... (16529 views)

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (5900 views)