Can dogs get colds?

Breed: cavalier king charle
Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our eye on her. She is 4 monthes old and has had 2 colds so far. One at the store and one when she was purchased by a family. Somehow the family managed to return the dog and so she is still available. I'm wondering how common it is for small dogs to have colds in the summer at this age.

Thank you.

Hi and thanks for your question.

We really don't see colds in dogs.

Some dogs can get an upper respiratory virus such as kennel cough, but it is quite uncommon to have this twice.

You may want to phone a vet in your area and ask if distemper is common where you live. In my area it is rare, but if you live in an area where distemper is seen I would be concerned that she may have this. Distemper is very serious and life threatening.

If you do consider adopting Lady, only do so if she has a health guarantee (and read the fine print well). Immediately have a vet examine her and give their opinion.

What you have described about her does not sound normal and I am definitely concerned.

Cerenia and buprenorphine My 18 year old cat was given a shot of cerenia and then 12 hours later I gave her... (9934 views)

Big lymph nodes. My dog has swollen lymph nodes for about 15 days now and they are all over his body.... (21806 views)

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (32761 views)

Head tremors and clingy dog. For the first time in 12 years my dog has started following me around obsessively... (8972 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (21586 views)

Bitch searching for dead puppies. my papillon bitch gave birth to a litter of premature pups. sadly they are all dead... (27491 views)

Dog licking paws On Wednesday I noticed Max was licking his right rear paw. Last Saturday he had a... (67784 views)

Brown bugs on my dog. I got a new dog, a crossbreed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua, and I discovered... (9349 views)

Milky urine in guinea pig. One of my guinea pigs urine is milky, this has never happened before. Their diet is... (10742 views)

High stepping and chattering. My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal... (9625 views)