Can dogs get colds?

Breed: cavalier king charle
Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our eye on her. She is 4 monthes old and has had 2 colds so far. One at the store and one when she was purchased by a family. Somehow the family managed to return the dog and so she is still available. I'm wondering how common it is for small dogs to have colds in the summer at this age.

Thank you.

Hi and thanks for your question.

We really don't see colds in dogs.

Some dogs can get an upper respiratory virus such as kennel cough, but it is quite uncommon to have this twice.

You may want to phone a vet in your area and ask if distemper is common where you live. In my area it is rare, but if you live in an area where distemper is seen I would be concerned that she may have this. Distemper is very serious and life threatening.

If you do consider adopting Lady, only do so if she has a health guarantee (and read the fine print well). Immediately have a vet examine her and give their opinion.

What you have described about her does not sound normal and I am definitely concerned.

Golden Retriever puppy diarrhea. Dr, All of a sudden last Sunday my 8 week old male Golden had two large stools... (18760 views)

Bumpy skin on back. My cat BonBon has a significant amount of dry, bumpy, itchy, red skin on her back... (10503 views)

Aspirin and Lasix? Hello. My regular vet is out of town and my dog is in a lot of pain. He's thirteen... (9046 views)

Puppy ate vomit. my dog is crying and has a fever and is very sluggish my wife is pregnant and going... (9525 views)

Sheltie is afraid of people. I have a one year old female Sheltie. she is very nervous around people. She was... (13699 views)

Cancer in lungs? Josie has had a persistent cough for over a year, so I took her to my vet for a... (4964 views)

Lump on dog's chest. My dog has a lump on the right side of his chest. (I think it's his chest. It's an... (20155 views)

Can't move back legs. My cat could not get up using its back legs. Her front legs were working but she... (30552 views)

Heart disease or cancer? Lazarus is still fighting. I appreciated that you understood my humor on the last... (4249 views)

Wounds not healing. My cat is mostly an indoor cat, but on occassion, he goes outside. Last time he went... (4509 views)