Can dogs get colds?

Breed: cavalier king charle
Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our eye on her. She is 4 monthes old and has had 2 colds so far. One at the store and one when she was purchased by a family. Somehow the family managed to return the dog and so she is still available. I'm wondering how common it is for small dogs to have colds in the summer at this age.

Thank you.

Hi and thanks for your question.

We really don't see colds in dogs.

Some dogs can get an upper respiratory virus such as kennel cough, but it is quite uncommon to have this twice.

You may want to phone a vet in your area and ask if distemper is common where you live. In my area it is rare, but if you live in an area where distemper is seen I would be concerned that she may have this. Distemper is very serious and life threatening.

If you do consider adopting Lady, only do so if she has a health guarantee (and read the fine print well). Immediately have a vet examine her and give their opinion.

What you have described about her does not sound normal and I am definitely concerned.

Cat has vomiting and diarrhea. Hi my cat is about one year old and we feed him and give him water everday but he... (16291 views)

Questions from a student? I have a grade 6 student doing a research project on Veteranarians. Could she use... (9387 views)

Sudden death in papillon My Doctor, I had a six year old female Papillon. She was in seemingly perfect and... (11321 views)

Cat vomits regularly. My 4year old cat has been throwing up over the past two months. 99% is food. ( dry... (7541 views)

Cat with broken pelvis-not eating. My kitty has a broken left pelvis, which happened 8 days ago. Today she has changed,... (14636 views)

High lipase and triglycerides. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's Vacuolar Hepatopathy... (9297 views)

Best ringworm treatment. We adopted Milo (5 months) from a shelter 2 weeks ago. He has two patches where skin... (14237 views)

Cat constantly in heat. Hi, I have a cat, she is little less than 2 years old. She is always in heat like 1... (29078 views)

Exercise after a spay? Kallie got spayed last Tuesday (July 3). She still has her stitches. We have been... (9333 views)

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (126314 views)