Does my dog have a gait problem?

Breed: golden
Hi Dr.

I'm hoping this is a trivial question.

As the email pic shows, the middle-outside toe on Max's right foot is showing a slight bit more wear than the equal toe on his left foot.

While I was there last month my vet examined his hips. He felt no gaps on either side through 130 degrees of motion. He also watched him walk around the waiting room. Said there was no issue he detected.

Maybe it's nothing but my last dog had gate issues...

Jay

dog feet

Hi Jay. Max sure knows how to make you worry, doesn't he? :)

I've been looking at your photo over and over again and really can't see anything unusual.

Are you looking at the color difference (i.e. where there is some pink on his pad?) If so, this can be normal to just have slight differences in pigment.

The biggest concern with Golden Retrievers and possible gait issues is hip dysplasia. Unfortunately though there are usually no visible symptoms either on exam or by xray of hip dysplasia until an animal is much older. What this means is that it is really rare to be able to determine if something is going on right now.

There are some exceptions though. If I have a dog with severe hip dysplasia I will sometimes see lameness on the exam and changes on their xrays.

When Max is about 2, you can talk to your vet about taking some xrays under anesthetic to see if there are any concerns for hip dysplasia.

With that being said, I've never diagnosed a gait issue by looking at the pads on a dog's foot.

It really sounds like there is nothing to worry about here!

I noticed with my previous dog, Mickey, that he would wear down his toe pads when we went for long walks, they would turn pink from rubbing. Eventually he was diagnosed with a degenerative lesion on his spine.

Of course, there's a million miles between disproportionately wearing down the toes on one foot and a lesion/hip dysplasia, but I just wanted to check.

I incidentally, in spite of it all Max is 67 lbs, extremely smart, affectionate, and energetic. Friday comes the neutering.

Jay

Thanks for the new image with the circles. I see what you mean about one pad being pinker than the other.

I really think this is nothing. I've seen lots of dogs with slight variations in color on their pads.

dog feet

I believe some universities have "gait machines" where the dog can walk across an electronic matt and a computer registers whether there is a slight variation that is consistently off with the gait. It would be neat if we were able to put Max on one of these.

But, I really don't think there is anything to worry about here!

I'll be heading offline in a few minutes (bed time here...) but if you have more concerns I'll check in on your question in the morning.

I think you've put this to bed.

Thanks again

Jay

Dr,

I might have misspoke. The pink area is actualy worn and shiny, without the usual roughness of the other foot pads.

Is it acceptible for a puppy to put extra pressure/scrub on one leg over the other? He's walked 30-45 min per day.

I realise the effect is visually minimal. Could it be just a benign mishape of the phalanges.

Jay

Hmmm....it's really not something that I can say I have ever paid attention to. But then, most owners are probably not as attentive as you and may not notice small things like this.

Short of doing a gait analysis at a university I don't think anyone can tell you much more at this point as to whether or not there is a gait issue.

My gut instinct still is that this is just pigment change even though it is different in texture.

If you are still worried though, you could ask your vet to set up an appointment with an orthopedic specialist. These vets can often pick up the subtle things that regular vets can't.

Sounds good.
Incidentally, you may recall his occluded lower canines (behind and inside the uppers). Amazingly they have come to rest in a normal spot.

Glad to hear that about his teeth! The body is truly amazing!

What caused liver fracture? We fostered an abused, rescue dog in January of 2012 to May 2012 when she died... (8865 views)

Xylitol in fruit toxic to dogs? Hello Dr. Marie, I've recently become very aware of the dangers of xylitol with... (26536 views)

Dog died of pancreatitis. My yorkie died at the vets. She was 10 and a half. I fed her new dog food... (28361 views)

Guinea pig-Scab and itchy. my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with... (9026 views)

dog with red eye Hello, I have a 2 year old male lab pit mix, fr a couple his left eye has been... (20834 views)

Puppy and adult dog vomiting. Our 8 yr old lab became ill about 2 weeks ago with occassional vomiting, diarrhea,... (3825 views)

How long for Frontline to work An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing... (8177 views)

Dog licking his penis. My dog was groomed today and is licking his penis excessively (even stopping during... (41151 views)

Sick Yorkie Buddy has been acting sick for about a week, being lethargic and unresponsive,... (4342 views)

Red spots on dog's back. my dog scraches all the time i use oatmeal based shampoo--even given her phenergan... (3855 views)