Foods unsafe for dogs?

Breed: Shih tzu

I have a 6 year old Shih Tzu. I have given him human food his whole life, I know that is bad, but it seems to late to try to break him of that now (is it?) My question, what foods absolutely should dogs, and particularly the Shih Tzu breed,not eat? Also, I give him a dog vitamin/treat everyday, and heartworm, shots, etc.

Thanks in advance, Janet Vigil

It sounds like your dog has trained you well!

While I don't condone feeding human food to dogs, as long as your dog is getting a decent amount of dog food each day along with the human food he will get the vitamins and minerals he needs. However, the problem with most human foods is that they can be fairly high in calories.

The following foods are to be avoided for any dog: onions, garlic, grapes, raisins and chocolate.

I have seen dogs that have been broken of the habit of only eating human food (even at this age). A dog will not starve himself to death. So, if all you offer him is dog food he will eventually eat it.

I hope this helps!

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (18124 views)

Is rescue cat in pain? Hello I took in a stray female cat about 10 days ago. HER behaviour is odd. She... (8281 views)

Green smelly teeth. Dweeb has greenish slime on her gums and pain when biting. I tried washing it out... (30665 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My dog has been excessively sneezing for over a year now. She has had no respiratory... (20434 views)

How much exercise for a puppy? Hi Dr Marie, I'm pleased to report Max is doing well.. changing from Iams to p/d... (8163 views)

Bump on dog's ear. Hi Dr. Marie My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2... (62908 views)

Infected spay incision? Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Twiggy had spay surgery 2 days ago. She eats and sleeps... (16034 views)

Dog has itchy lumps my dog has lumps on her body and are a bit... (11332 views)

Light sensitivity in older cat. Jack, 12 years old, was diagnosed with CKD 6months ago and is having Hills... (10211 views)

Can I feed raw veggies? Is it alright to feed our dog fresh, raw pieces of vegetables-like celery, green... (8338 views)