Foods unsafe for dogs?

Breed: Shih tzu

I have a 6 year old Shih Tzu. I have given him human food his whole life, I know that is bad, but it seems to late to try to break him of that now (is it?) My question, what foods absolutely should dogs, and particularly the Shih Tzu breed,not eat? Also, I give him a dog vitamin/treat everyday, and heartworm, shots, etc.

Thanks in advance, Janet Vigil

It sounds like your dog has trained you well!

While I don't condone feeding human food to dogs, as long as your dog is getting a decent amount of dog food each day along with the human food he will get the vitamins and minerals he needs. However, the problem with most human foods is that they can be fairly high in calories.

The following foods are to be avoided for any dog: onions, garlic, grapes, raisins and chocolate.

I have seen dogs that have been broken of the habit of only eating human food (even at this age). A dog will not starve himself to death. So, if all you offer him is dog food he will eventually eat it.

I hope this helps!

Metronidazole for cats alternative? My 16-hr-old neutered male cat is diabetic (since 2008) Was recently prescribed... (11112 views)

Pancreatic enzymes. How do we handle a situation when we unexpectely temporaryly are without the... (7904 views)

Shaking and tucking tail. 3 days ago my dog, who was being taken on a walk in the morning, suddenly started... (183514 views)

Scabs on cat's ears. Our cat has spots on her ears that look like bites or sores. We have had her to the... (8498 views)

Any problems after inguinal hernia surgery? I purchased a yorkie 2months old who recently had a inguinao hernia surgery and i... (11576 views)

Puppy vaccinations. I have a new puppy. I was given his vaccination record (number of... (4581 views)

Diaphragmatic hernia. Our 8-year-old neutered male cat has a history of various health issues:... (6467 views)

Thinking of getting a malamute. hi, i currently have a malchi. he is part maltese part chihuahua. i have been... (9299 views)

Vomiting dog. Our vet has told us that Lola won't digest all her food and empty her stomach in the... (7134 views)

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (9274 views)