Foods unsafe for dogs?

Breed: Shih tzu

I have a 6 year old Shih Tzu. I have given him human food his whole life, I know that is bad, but it seems to late to try to break him of that now (is it?) My question, what foods absolutely should dogs, and particularly the Shih Tzu breed,not eat? Also, I give him a dog vitamin/treat everyday, and heartworm, shots, etc.

Thanks in advance, Janet Vigil

It sounds like your dog has trained you well!

While I don't condone feeding human food to dogs, as long as your dog is getting a decent amount of dog food each day along with the human food he will get the vitamins and minerals he needs. However, the problem with most human foods is that they can be fairly high in calories.

The following foods are to be avoided for any dog: onions, garlic, grapes, raisins and chocolate.

I have seen dogs that have been broken of the habit of only eating human food (even at this age). A dog will not starve himself to death. So, if all you offer him is dog food he will eventually eat it.

I hope this helps!

Dog has loose stools. I adopted Levi, a beautiful and terrific champion show dog in August. I have never... (12902 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (5763 views)

Rapid wheezing in a cat. My family adopted a cat from the humane society almost a year ago. When we got her... (10951 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. My wife and I left for a 24 day holiday. Three of our kids remained at home. Our... (20616 views)

Lump under dog's eye? Hello, A couple days ago I noticed a red-pink bump under my dog's right eye. It... (27478 views)

Red bumps on puppy's belly. Hi, our Border Collie puppy has these red bumps on her belly. They are real red and... (77233 views)

When to separate pups? Hello, My pet has just given babies and i need to give those babies for... (7443 views)

Pink growths on chest of dog. Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on... (14967 views)

Limping kitten. I got a kitten on Monday. They said she is about 5 or 6 weeks old. For the first... (11125 views)

Licking at foot. About 4 years ago we had one front dewclaw removed, after ruby caught it on... (9101 views)