Foods unsafe for dogs?

Breed: Shih tzu

I have a 6 year old Shih Tzu. I have given him human food his whole life, I know that is bad, but it seems to late to try to break him of that now (is it?) My question, what foods absolutely should dogs, and particularly the Shih Tzu breed,not eat? Also, I give him a dog vitamin/treat everyday, and heartworm, shots, etc.

Thanks in advance, Janet Vigil

It sounds like your dog has trained you well!

While I don't condone feeding human food to dogs, as long as your dog is getting a decent amount of dog food each day along with the human food he will get the vitamins and minerals he needs. However, the problem with most human foods is that they can be fairly high in calories.

The following foods are to be avoided for any dog: onions, garlic, grapes, raisins and chocolate.

I have seen dogs that have been broken of the habit of only eating human food (even at this age). A dog will not starve himself to death. So, if all you offer him is dog food he will eventually eat it.

I hope this helps!

OK to keep cats in a small room? I am concerned for two cats that I know. They live in a house where they are... (6030 views)

Noticing metallic odor. Hi! I recently adopted a dog from a NYC euth list. I've had her for about 3 weeks... (38547 views)

Charcoal briquette My Yorkie, male-6 pounds, was in the garden where my husband threw burn,... (40700 views)

Spiders toxic to cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Hope things are well. I had what amounts to a common question but... (12974 views)

Pregnant if bred when bleeding? I have a golden retriever that's about to be 3years old. She recently mated with... (82876 views)

Diabetic cat problems. I have a diabetic cat who gets 4ml ProZinc 2x per day with meals. Normally she is... (7348 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur. Hello, my 12 year old beagle just recently went into the vet for a check up and the... (13780 views)

Goat's milk for puppies. Is goat's milk good to give nursing puppies? My puppies won't nurse and I was told... (8369 views)

Dog's eye blue and purple. hi my dog annebell has a giant blister in eye yesterday it was small so i didnt... (14554 views)

Rat is not eating. my pet rat has an infection and we took her to the vet and was given a mineral food... (9629 views)