Foods unsafe for dogs?

Breed: Shih tzu

I have a 6 year old Shih Tzu. I have given him human food his whole life, I know that is bad, but it seems to late to try to break him of that now (is it?) My question, what foods absolutely should dogs, and particularly the Shih Tzu breed,not eat? Also, I give him a dog vitamin/treat everyday, and heartworm, shots, etc.

Thanks in advance, Janet Vigil

It sounds like your dog has trained you well!

While I don't condone feeding human food to dogs, as long as your dog is getting a decent amount of dog food each day along with the human food he will get the vitamins and minerals he needs. However, the problem with most human foods is that they can be fairly high in calories.

The following foods are to be avoided for any dog: onions, garlic, grapes, raisins and chocolate.

I have seen dogs that have been broken of the habit of only eating human food (even at this age). A dog will not starve himself to death. So, if all you offer him is dog food he will eventually eat it.

I hope this helps!

Wobbly lab. Hello - About 4 weeks ago, Koda started acting very stiff around his neck so we... (14829 views)

Mast cell tumors on penis. I have a healthy 11 yr old Chihuahua named Tyson who has mitotic cancer/mast cell... (15679 views)

Cat straining and in pain. Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if... (26935 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in maltese puppy. Good evening, I had a question for you regarding my puppy. She is almost 12... (6662 views)

Can't walk, dehydrated puppy. My puppy is 3 months old. She was left at home with her dogsitter but was obviously... (16149 views)

Yorkie having seizures. my dog has fits his back legs go stiff he then starts panting excessively his fur is... (9044 views)

Benadryl for allergies? Dear Dr. Marie, Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes... (7048 views)

Raw, sore nose. Hi there I have a 5 year old Malamute named Mika about a year ago she was attatcked... (8690 views)

Is this mammary tumor cancerous? We have an 8 yr old shih Tzu, female spayed before first heat and we noticed a lump... (4883 views)

Sick shih tzu Hello, I have a question about my 2 and a half year old shit-zu. yesterday, after... (15309 views)