Foods unsafe for dogs?

Breed: Shih tzu

I have a 6 year old Shih Tzu. I have given him human food his whole life, I know that is bad, but it seems to late to try to break him of that now (is it?) My question, what foods absolutely should dogs, and particularly the Shih Tzu breed,not eat? Also, I give him a dog vitamin/treat everyday, and heartworm, shots, etc.

Thanks in advance, Janet Vigil

It sounds like your dog has trained you well!

While I don't condone feeding human food to dogs, as long as your dog is getting a decent amount of dog food each day along with the human food he will get the vitamins and minerals he needs. However, the problem with most human foods is that they can be fairly high in calories.

The following foods are to be avoided for any dog: onions, garlic, grapes, raisins and chocolate.

I have seen dogs that have been broken of the habit of only eating human food (even at this age). A dog will not starve himself to death. So, if all you offer him is dog food he will eventually eat it.

I hope this helps!

Gagging dog. Last night, my dog was in his crate for bed, when I heard him gag for the first... (99875 views)

Getting a second dog. We have allowed Kiba (our dog) to sleep in our room at night as when we first got... (9042 views)

Pregnant dog has tick disease. my dog is pregnant and she is suffering from tick disease so can i give her... (12814 views)

Peeing in the house. We have a problem with Storm (a male cat) weeing every where in the house we do have... (8749 views)

Arthritis medicine I have a 10 month old Pomeranian who appears to have hip problems. I am very low... (8748 views)

Lab is not eating. my dog is a labrador retriever and about 9 years old. he was a solid eater and never... (8593 views)

Spay 10 year old dog? Hello: I adopted a Belgian tervuren 10 months ago. She was already 10 years... (19759 views)

Cancer in lungs? Josie has had a persistent cough for over a year, so I took her to my vet for a... (7144 views)

old dog is peeing in the house. spot is 17 and has started weeing in house constantley even when we have doors open... (22703 views)

My dog wants to sniff everything. I have miniature schnauzer who refuses to poop in “timely manner outside. I take... (11629 views)