Vomiting 3 times per day.

Breed: Lhasa Apso
My dog is vomiting about 3x per day. She seems to be happy and wants to eat a little bit. What should I do?

Hi Joan! Thanks so much for using www.askavetquestion.com!!!

There are many different causes for vomiting. The most common cause is a gastritis/enteritis which is an upset intestinal tract usually resulting from a change in food or eating a new type of treat or table food.

The next possibility is that your dog has pancreatitis. It causes vomiting and sometimes diarrhea. Usually the front of the abdomen (just behind the ribs) is extremely painful in pancreatitis. The treatment for this disease is hospitalization with IV fluids and pain and anti-vomiting medicines.

The next possiblity is that your dog has swallowed an object that she shouldn't have causing an intestinal or stomach obstruction.

If your dog is not vaccinated, another possibility is parvo virus. This is more common in puppies, but can happen at any age. It usually causes great amounts of bloody diarrhea and vomiting.

It is also possible that your dog has a problem with her liver or kidneys as well which is a serious matter.
If your dog is still fairly bright and alert then you do not need to rush her in to the vet right away. You can try fasting her for 12-24 hours and then feeding a small amount of cooked chicken and rice. If she keeps this down then feed her this for a couple of days and then gradually mix in her regular food.

Some dogs with mild stomach upset will benefit from pepcid. If you would like to try this there is information on pros and cons and dosing found here:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

If she is not bright then you can try giving her a small amount of "pedialyte" to get her through tonight and she should be seen in the morning. If you think she is extremely uncomfortable then an emergency visit is in order.

Hope she does oK!

Thanks so much! Where do I get the "pepcid"?

"Pepcid" can be bought at any pharmacy over the counter.

congested kitten Hi,i recently took in a stray kitten & a few days ago she started coughing on &... (10908 views)

Cat constantly in heat. Hi, I have a cat, she is little less than 2 years old. She is always in heat like 1... (24904 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (16665 views)

Good appetite in blind deaf cat. my cat is over 15 years old she is partially blind and deaf she misses her litterbox... (7808 views)

Sick kitten We recently found this kitten last week outside, when we found him we estimated that... (8479 views)

Trifexis overdose. My dog ate 4 tablets of Trifexis today. He seems a little quieter than usual. ... (63837 views)

Cat eating less than normal. My cat Noir hasn't been feeling well for about 5 days now. He is a 3 year old,... (74561 views)

Cat's tail fell off. My cat is a male, seven year old, siamese crossed with ginger named Skittles. Around... (42420 views)

Sore hips in 1 year old cat. I have a 1 year old cat and she has had "stiff back legs" since we got her at 8... (13615 views)

Lump on ear flap. hello, what it is my dog ruby has this lump on the flap of her ear its soft feels... (8744 views)