Vomiting 3 times per day.

Breed: Lhasa Apso
My dog is vomiting about 3x per day. She seems to be happy and wants to eat a little bit. What should I do?

Hi Joan! Thanks so much for using www.askavetquestion.com!!!

There are many different causes for vomiting. The most common cause is a gastritis/enteritis which is an upset intestinal tract usually resulting from a change in food or eating a new type of treat or table food.

The next possibility is that your dog has pancreatitis. It causes vomiting and sometimes diarrhea. Usually the front of the abdomen (just behind the ribs) is extremely painful in pancreatitis. The treatment for this disease is hospitalization with IV fluids and pain and anti-vomiting medicines.

The next possiblity is that your dog has swallowed an object that she shouldn't have causing an intestinal or stomach obstruction.

If your dog is not vaccinated, another possibility is parvo virus. This is more common in puppies, but can happen at any age. It usually causes great amounts of bloody diarrhea and vomiting.

It is also possible that your dog has a problem with her liver or kidneys as well which is a serious matter.
If your dog is still fairly bright and alert then you do not need to rush her in to the vet right away. You can try fasting her for 12-24 hours and then feeding a small amount of cooked chicken and rice. If she keeps this down then feed her this for a couple of days and then gradually mix in her regular food.

Some dogs with mild stomach upset will benefit from pepcid. If you would like to try this there is information on pros and cons and dosing found here:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

If she is not bright then you can try giving her a small amount of "pedialyte" to get her through tonight and she should be seen in the morning. If you think she is extremely uncomfortable then an emergency visit is in order.

Hope she does oK!

Thanks so much! Where do I get the "pepcid"?

"Pepcid" can be bought at any pharmacy over the counter.

Trouble breathing when drinking cold water. My dog Valentino is 16 years old and many times when he drinks water or he is... (8875 views)

Ovarian remnant Hi, We have a spayed cat that has been showing signs of being on heat on and off... (7039 views)

Dog attacked by javelina. My dog got attacked by a javelina.. shes bleeding from her nose and mouth, what... (6295 views)

Bengal Cat health questions. please could you read this topic Dr. Marie and answer to help this person? thank you... (7533 views)

Dog won't walk. my dog has almost stoped walkin and jus crawls around,unless it like to get food of... (9948 views)

Clavamox drops out of fridge. Hey Doc...Sparky was put on Clavamox drops because he has an abscess. The vet... (31915 views)

Diarrhea after having puppies. is it nomal for a dog to have the runs after giving birth to 11 puppies a week... (19281 views)

Dog jealous over owner. My female dog is 2 years old. She's a black lab. She had puppies and my boyfriend... (13773 views)

Puppy vomiting and not eating. my do seems to be sick she will not really eat and she has lost most of her energy... (11053 views)

Trim ferret's teeth? can you trim your ferrets teeth so that when they bite it wont hurt as much and if... (5570 views)