Swollen oozing paw.

Breed: yellow lab
Hello my dog Jack is 10 1/2 years old and he has a very yucky looking paw. It is swollen and the hair is coming off and it is now oozing a clear liquid.at times it feels hot and at times it does not. I did take him to the vet a few weeks back and they said it was an allergery and to give him benedryl 3-4 pills 4 times a day for the rest of his life. I did for a few days but all he would do was sleep and That is not my dog and I felt bad for drugging him like that. He does have tumors on his chest way bigger than soft balls at first the vet said that it was fatty tumors and she would not remove them. Now she is unsure if it is fatty tumor or cancer. He does lick his paw alot now that mostly skin is showing.Before he didnt that much. He seems to do okay walking on his paw.I can send a photo of paw if you like. Thank you for your time. We sure do love our Jack. He is very special to us.
Nichole Dunbar

Thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that Jack is having problems!

While it is true that allergies can cause a dog to lick at his feet it is unusual to hae just one foot affected, especially to this degree.

It sounds to me like Jack may be dealing with an infection in this foot. You may need to revisit the vet and ask if some antibiotics can be prescribed.

It's also possible there is a foreign object in the toe (like a splinter). If so, often antibiotics do the trick but sometimes a surgery is needed.

If the swollen or irritated area affected is where the nail joins the toe, then there is a little concern that this could be something called a squamous cell carcinoma which is a cancer that can affect the bone of a toe. If your vet suspects this they may do an xray of the toe to find out. If this is the case, then usually surgery to remove the affected part of the toe usually cures the problem.

So, it does sound like a repeat visit is a good idea.

Until you can get there, Jack may have some relief if you soak the foot in an epsom salt solution for 5 minutes 3-4 times per day.

I hope he feels better soon!

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (13696 views)

Vomiting pregnant cat. hello dr.vet my cat was with a male 2 weeks ago yesterday she started to vomit 5... (6385 views)

Cat with sore penis. I have a neutered male cat 5 years old. 4 months ago he was really sick, we took him... (19484 views)

Chattering jaw. my 2yr old lhasa apso could just be sitting and his jaw starts to shake non-stop for... (9094 views)

Cat with diarrhea but eating. My 12 year old tabby had watery diarrhea and vomited 1 night ago. I took food away... (24344 views)

Hair loss around eyes. Recently my maltese is loosing hair around his eyes. I have been feeding him the... (14303 views)

Spay 7 year old dog? Shadow my "daughter" is 7 years old. She is NOT spayed. Recently, I noticed a... (17930 views)

Limping Dog. Yesterday, my dog started limping & avoiding putting any weight on his right hind... (25417 views)

Mesenchymal tumor Need some input. My dog (she's 6)had developed a small lump/bump on her head above... (8436 views)

Shedding calicivirus. Hi can I breed from a cat shedding FCV? She has no symptoms but doen't seem to be... (7618 views)