Swollen oozing paw.

Breed: yellow lab
Hello my dog Jack is 10 1/2 years old and he has a very yucky looking paw. It is swollen and the hair is coming off and it is now oozing a clear liquid.at times it feels hot and at times it does not. I did take him to the vet a few weeks back and they said it was an allergery and to give him benedryl 3-4 pills 4 times a day for the rest of his life. I did for a few days but all he would do was sleep and That is not my dog and I felt bad for drugging him like that. He does have tumors on his chest way bigger than soft balls at first the vet said that it was fatty tumors and she would not remove them. Now she is unsure if it is fatty tumor or cancer. He does lick his paw alot now that mostly skin is showing.Before he didnt that much. He seems to do okay walking on his paw.I can send a photo of paw if you like. Thank you for your time. We sure do love our Jack. He is very special to us.
Nichole Dunbar

Thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that Jack is having problems!

While it is true that allergies can cause a dog to lick at his feet it is unusual to hae just one foot affected, especially to this degree.

It sounds to me like Jack may be dealing with an infection in this foot. You may need to revisit the vet and ask if some antibiotics can be prescribed.

It's also possible there is a foreign object in the toe (like a splinter). If so, often antibiotics do the trick but sometimes a surgery is needed.

If the swollen or irritated area affected is where the nail joins the toe, then there is a little concern that this could be something called a squamous cell carcinoma which is a cancer that can affect the bone of a toe. If your vet suspects this they may do an xray of the toe to find out. If this is the case, then usually surgery to remove the affected part of the toe usually cures the problem.

So, it does sound like a repeat visit is a good idea.

Until you can get there, Jack may have some relief if you soak the foot in an epsom salt solution for 5 minutes 3-4 times per day.

I hope he feels better soon!

Too aggressive petting? My cat enjoys having his bum smacked over and over. Hard. He's neutered male - he... (21374 views)

Foods unsafe for dogs? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 6 year old Shih Tzu. I have given him human food his... (10240 views)

dog with bumps on head My dog has 2-3 little lumps on her head, She is smooothe coated, You can feel them... (28300 views)

Cat's stomach making noises My cat's stomach has been making noises today including gurgling and rumbling. This... (212972 views)

Did neutering affect dog's bladder? My dog is 10 months old and was neutered 3 weeks ago. He was on antibiotics prior to... (20627 views)

Guinea pig noises. Heys! I have only one guinea pig and she is female. Sometimes my guinea pig makes... (11998 views)

Dog with small pink lump. My dog has a smallish lump on her back which is sort of pinkish in colour but dosn't... (20425 views)

Vaginal bleeding. Hi, my little desexed jack russell is bleeding slightly from her vagina when she... (101190 views)

Keep dachshund from jumping? Hello, About 2 months ago I woke to find that my dachshund could not move her hind... (12313 views)

Lump on dog. Hi Dr Marie, I realize your answer to this may be a best guess... But today I... (13444 views)