Swollen oozing paw.

Breed: yellow lab
Hello my dog Jack is 10 1/2 years old and he has a very yucky looking paw. It is swollen and the hair is coming off and it is now oozing a clear liquid.at times it feels hot and at times it does not. I did take him to the vet a few weeks back and they said it was an allergery and to give him benedryl 3-4 pills 4 times a day for the rest of his life. I did for a few days but all he would do was sleep and That is not my dog and I felt bad for drugging him like that. He does have tumors on his chest way bigger than soft balls at first the vet said that it was fatty tumors and she would not remove them. Now she is unsure if it is fatty tumor or cancer. He does lick his paw alot now that mostly skin is showing.Before he didnt that much. He seems to do okay walking on his paw.I can send a photo of paw if you like. Thank you for your time. We sure do love our Jack. He is very special to us.
Nichole Dunbar

Thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that Jack is having problems!

While it is true that allergies can cause a dog to lick at his feet it is unusual to hae just one foot affected, especially to this degree.

It sounds to me like Jack may be dealing with an infection in this foot. You may need to revisit the vet and ask if some antibiotics can be prescribed.

It's also possible there is a foreign object in the toe (like a splinter). If so, often antibiotics do the trick but sometimes a surgery is needed.

If the swollen or irritated area affected is where the nail joins the toe, then there is a little concern that this could be something called a squamous cell carcinoma which is a cancer that can affect the bone of a toe. If your vet suspects this they may do an xray of the toe to find out. If this is the case, then usually surgery to remove the affected part of the toe usually cures the problem.

So, it does sound like a repeat visit is a good idea.

Until you can get there, Jack may have some relief if you soak the foot in an epsom salt solution for 5 minutes 3-4 times per day.

I hope he feels better soon!

Large black mole on dog. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m kind of worried because my dog, a Labrador retriever he has... (30962 views)

Bump near anus. My dog has what looks like a pimple or maybe an ingrown hair? It's not white like a... (32037 views)

Dog with bad breath. im from philippines, i really sleep at bed every night with my dog.the problem is, i... (9732 views)

Dog peeing on furniture Skyler is 2 years old and is house broken but sometimes he will come back inside and... (8463 views)

Lab not eating. My 13 yr old Lab, Dylan, who has NEVER turned her nose up at any kind of food, has... (22227 views)

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (31755 views)

Worms in vomit. My dog threw up a yellow substance and it had worm like creatures I it what should I... (9535 views)

FIV positive and diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie - I took in a semi feral cat about six weeks ago. He is FIV+. He has... (15688 views)

Rash on dog's chin. I HAVE A 1.6 YEAR OLD GREAT DANE IN GOOD HEALTH. HOWEVER, SHE HAS DEVELOPED A RASH... (13860 views)

Swollen ankle. On 4/10/12 our dog was running down the hallway as usual and slipped as usual cause... (4491 views)