Swollen oozing paw.

Breed: yellow lab
Hello my dog Jack is 10 1/2 years old and he has a very yucky looking paw. It is swollen and the hair is coming off and it is now oozing a clear liquid.at times it feels hot and at times it does not. I did take him to the vet a few weeks back and they said it was an allergery and to give him benedryl 3-4 pills 4 times a day for the rest of his life. I did for a few days but all he would do was sleep and That is not my dog and I felt bad for drugging him like that. He does have tumors on his chest way bigger than soft balls at first the vet said that it was fatty tumors and she would not remove them. Now she is unsure if it is fatty tumor or cancer. He does lick his paw alot now that mostly skin is showing.Before he didnt that much. He seems to do okay walking on his paw.I can send a photo of paw if you like. Thank you for your time. We sure do love our Jack. He is very special to us.
Nichole Dunbar

Thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that Jack is having problems!

While it is true that allergies can cause a dog to lick at his feet it is unusual to hae just one foot affected, especially to this degree.

It sounds to me like Jack may be dealing with an infection in this foot. You may need to revisit the vet and ask if some antibiotics can be prescribed.

It's also possible there is a foreign object in the toe (like a splinter). If so, often antibiotics do the trick but sometimes a surgery is needed.

If the swollen or irritated area affected is where the nail joins the toe, then there is a little concern that this could be something called a squamous cell carcinoma which is a cancer that can affect the bone of a toe. If your vet suspects this they may do an xray of the toe to find out. If this is the case, then usually surgery to remove the affected part of the toe usually cures the problem.

So, it does sound like a repeat visit is a good idea.

Until you can get there, Jack may have some relief if you soak the foot in an epsom salt solution for 5 minutes 3-4 times per day.

I hope he feels better soon!

Cat attacked by dog. My cat lulu was just attacked by a dog today....i'm a new mommy...and currently... (5222 views)

Lump on ferret's face. My daughters feret has a lump on it's cheek. At first it did not grow fast , but now... (8261 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (5021 views)

Swollen lab. Hi, my name is Ron Lamoureux. One month ago I noticed that my 2 yr old Lab... (8627 views)

Dog can't bark. I just recent spayed my dog this summer and i recently noticed that her bark sounds... (22111 views)

Peeing in house. We live in a 2 story 5 bedroom house. I have a male 14 year old pure bred Ragdoll... (8055 views)

Very thirsty kitten. Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl... (10195 views)

Pug died suddenly. Aloha, Our beloved Pug Tobi passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday and as much as I... (7787 views)

Puppy biting owners. My Pomeranian puppy is now four months old and last week i gave anti rabies... (10631 views)

Diarrhea with blood Hi Dr. Marie. My dog has had diarrhea for a couple of days. He still seems to be... (12845 views)