Swollen oozing paw.

Breed: yellow lab
Hello my dog Jack is 10 1/2 years old and he has a very yucky looking paw. It is swollen and the hair is coming off and it is now oozing a clear liquid.at times it feels hot and at times it does not. I did take him to the vet a few weeks back and they said it was an allergery and to give him benedryl 3-4 pills 4 times a day for the rest of his life. I did for a few days but all he would do was sleep and That is not my dog and I felt bad for drugging him like that. He does have tumors on his chest way bigger than soft balls at first the vet said that it was fatty tumors and she would not remove them. Now she is unsure if it is fatty tumor or cancer. He does lick his paw alot now that mostly skin is showing.Before he didnt that much. He seems to do okay walking on his paw.I can send a photo of paw if you like. Thank you for your time. We sure do love our Jack. He is very special to us.
Nichole Dunbar

Thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that Jack is having problems!

While it is true that allergies can cause a dog to lick at his feet it is unusual to hae just one foot affected, especially to this degree.

It sounds to me like Jack may be dealing with an infection in this foot. You may need to revisit the vet and ask if some antibiotics can be prescribed.

It's also possible there is a foreign object in the toe (like a splinter). If so, often antibiotics do the trick but sometimes a surgery is needed.

If the swollen or irritated area affected is where the nail joins the toe, then there is a little concern that this could be something called a squamous cell carcinoma which is a cancer that can affect the bone of a toe. If your vet suspects this they may do an xray of the toe to find out. If this is the case, then usually surgery to remove the affected part of the toe usually cures the problem.

So, it does sound like a repeat visit is a good idea.

Until you can get there, Jack may have some relief if you soak the foot in an epsom salt solution for 5 minutes 3-4 times per day.

I hope he feels better soon!

Antibiotics for stuffed up nose. Hello again Dr. Marie, writing again about our dog Sparky and have some questions.... (4979 views)

Natural flea product? Dear Dr. Marie: We use Sentry Natural Defense squeeze-on flea control product on... (8551 views)

Can't lift tail. my Golden Retriever's tail doesn't lift up like it normally does. She can still wag... (14044 views)

Is my dog pregnant? my dog had puppies about 7 months ago and i wasn't home often to make sure her and... (13555 views)

Red spots My dog has been developed having red spot (lots of round and red spot with hair loss... (31864 views)

Swollen paw in a cat. My year old cat's right paw is bloated , I tried to look more closely and the fur... (18992 views)

Chlamydia contagious? Can dogs get chlamydia? I encountered information regarding oral chlamydia&don't... (9433 views)

Ectopic ureter or pelvic bladder? My dog ziggy is almost a year old. I got him at 6 months. He has a urination... (38217 views)

Kitten won't get out of litter box. PLEASE HELP...MY RAGDOLL KITTEN 9 WKS OLD WONT GET OUT OF THE LITTERBOX HARDLY AT... (9118 views)

Introducing kittens. Hi Dr. Marie, My name is Lauren, and I'm from Australia - I hope I haven't woken... (6512 views)