Toenail problems.

Breed: Mixed
We adopted Tiger (62lb what appears to be shepard/boxer mix) in May and about a month and a half later we noticed he was licking his foot and limping so we took him to the vet. They ended up removing a split/damaged/infected toenail under sedation, antibiotics, wrap, etc (very expensive). They also cut all his other nails very short and saw some issues with them. He has been going back to the vet almost every other week for a checkup. The removed nail seems to be healing quite well but he still has about 3 other nails that are split and the quick is separated from the top of the nail. He is currently taking a multivitamin and wearing the cone to prevent licking. We wipe his feet after going outside. My concern is the length of time it is taking all of this to heal. Our vet seems to be making no big deal out of this and says they are healing but we are approaching the 2 month mark of all of these issues. He is still eating and drinking but seems to be depressed. No limping. Occasionally there is a small amount of blood from the affected nails. I just want some kind of timeline. Should we take him to another vet? I am very worried about him and the fact that this is an ongoing issue. We want to do whatever we can for him but the vet bills are quickly adding up and I am hoping there is something more we can do at home for him. I have had dogs my entire life and I have never seen anything like this. As far as diet he eats Natural Balance Duck formula dry and canned.

This sounds like a frustrating situation. I have had some cases like this that have taken several months to heal.

The last case that I had like this was a mastiff with a very severe bacterial infection affecting the toenails. A culture (where we send a swab off to the lab to determine what type of bacteria is there) showed us that the dog had a resistant infection. He needed to be on a very powerful (and expensive) antibiotic for a few months but eventually recovered.

Sometimes toenail issues like this can be a sign of a more serious problem such as a type of lupus called symmetrical lupoid onychodystrophy. It is usually treated with doxycycline, niacinamide, vitamin E and omega fatty acids and can take months to recover. Some dogs need to be on lifelong therapy for this. The only way to diagnose this is to have your vet do a biopsy. So, this is something they may consider if things are not improving.

Sometimes dogs with toenail issues can benefit from a Zinc supplement. (This may be what you mentioned with the vitamins), but you have to be careful when supplementing Zinc because too much can cause gastrointestinal issues.

It does sound like your vet is doing all of the same things I would. Hang in there. And if things haven't improved in another month or so you could ask your vet about possibly doing a biopsy.

Hope things improve soon!

Hypothyroidism? We have a 101 lbs. 7-year-old purebred Chocolate lab that has small to medium... (4421 views)

Ear problems in a cat. I adopted my cat Fudge from a shelter when he was 9. He came with a host of... (9717 views)

Iverheart Plus and Max. i have been giving my dog Heartgard Plus for heartworm prevention; i recently... (26811 views)

Dog shedding. Why is our dog shedding so... (9129 views)

old dog is peeing in the house. spot is 17 and has started weeing in house constantley even when we have doors open... (20399 views)

Short of breath and runny nose. My dog is shor of breath, has a runny nose, and is shaking please help me I do not... (6954 views)

Stopped Rimadyl because dog is sick. I thought we could have a back and forth conversation? Oh well Aussie aprx 12... (24182 views)

Testosterone injection for cryptorchidism. I have a Mini French Poodle and he is about 1 year old and he only has one testicle... (7137 views)

Crusty spots on hamsters. I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a... (13796 views)

Dog with allergies. Dr, I'm afraid Max's allergies are getting the better of him. Symptom... (6749 views)