Toenail problems.

Breed: Mixed
We adopted Tiger (62lb what appears to be shepard/boxer mix) in May and about a month and a half later we noticed he was licking his foot and limping so we took him to the vet. They ended up removing a split/damaged/infected toenail under sedation, antibiotics, wrap, etc (very expensive). They also cut all his other nails very short and saw some issues with them. He has been going back to the vet almost every other week for a checkup. The removed nail seems to be healing quite well but he still has about 3 other nails that are split and the quick is separated from the top of the nail. He is currently taking a multivitamin and wearing the cone to prevent licking. We wipe his feet after going outside. My concern is the length of time it is taking all of this to heal. Our vet seems to be making no big deal out of this and says they are healing but we are approaching the 2 month mark of all of these issues. He is still eating and drinking but seems to be depressed. No limping. Occasionally there is a small amount of blood from the affected nails. I just want some kind of timeline. Should we take him to another vet? I am very worried about him and the fact that this is an ongoing issue. We want to do whatever we can for him but the vet bills are quickly adding up and I am hoping there is something more we can do at home for him. I have had dogs my entire life and I have never seen anything like this. As far as diet he eats Natural Balance Duck formula dry and canned.

This sounds like a frustrating situation. I have had some cases like this that have taken several months to heal.

The last case that I had like this was a mastiff with a very severe bacterial infection affecting the toenails. A culture (where we send a swab off to the lab to determine what type of bacteria is there) showed us that the dog had a resistant infection. He needed to be on a very powerful (and expensive) antibiotic for a few months but eventually recovered.

Sometimes toenail issues like this can be a sign of a more serious problem such as a type of lupus called symmetrical lupoid onychodystrophy. It is usually treated with doxycycline, niacinamide, vitamin E and omega fatty acids and can take months to recover. Some dogs need to be on lifelong therapy for this. The only way to diagnose this is to have your vet do a biopsy. So, this is something they may consider if things are not improving.

Sometimes dogs with toenail issues can benefit from a Zinc supplement. (This may be what you mentioned with the vitamins), but you have to be careful when supplementing Zinc because too much can cause gastrointestinal issues.

It does sound like your vet is doing all of the same things I would. Hang in there. And if things haven't improved in another month or so you could ask your vet about possibly doing a biopsy.

Hope things improve soon!

Popcorn in dog's stool? My dog had something that looked like a popped popcorn kernel at the end of his... (18608 views)

Stuffed up cat. I have a male cat named Tuna aged somewhere close to a year and a half. He is a... (12720 views)

Dog's urine smells unusual. A few days ago I noticed that my dog's urine smells a bit strong. I can't really... (138987 views)

Human mouthwash for dog? Can I give my dog diluted mouthwash (regular people mouthwash) I want to mix a... (23793 views)

Puppies are dying after fire. We just got a couple of pit puppies, 2 weeks old - the mother dog died in a house... (8200 views)

Lack of bladder control. I HAVE A FEMALE COCKER SPANIEL WHO IS THE OFF SPRING OF MY OWN MALE AND FEMALE WHO... (16681 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My pug has been vomiting over the last few days it started two nights ago I woke up... (37043 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (16660 views)

Polysporin on cats? My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on... (71171 views)

Loud noises from belly. I recently noticed loud noises coming from my 14 year old ragdolls tummy. She does... (10604 views)