Dog ate sanitary pad

Breed: American Eskimo
About a month ago my dog got into the trash and chewed up some sanitary napkins. He has now been very lethargic and no appetite . I took him to my vet and his kidney and liver levels are way off.
Should I request an X-ray before they do any other treatment?

I'm sorry to hear that Baxter is not well.

While it is possible that an obstruction from the sanitary pad could be causing him to not feel well, it is more likely that there is something else going on. Very high elevations in liver and kidney enzymes really should not be caused by an obstruction. In extreme cases, if an obstruction caused a perforation in the intestines, then high liver and kidney enzymes could be seen if the body is in an extreme state of shock and close to death, but this does not sound likely.

With that being said, with a history of getting into the trash, it certainly won't hurt to have some xrays done.

It's hard to say what the actual problem with Baxter is. At his age I would worry about serious conditions such as cancer. But there are other possibilities such as leptospirosis which can cause very serious kidney or liver problems, or even ingestion of a toxin.

It sounds like Baxter needs some in hospital care including IV fluids. I think that an xray is not a bad idea, and possibly an ultrasound could give good information about any sort of abdominal tumors.

I really do hope everything is ok.

Pitbull is itchy. I have a 4 year old pitbull/lab mix that has been scratching and biting at herself.... (48939 views)

Vet care discount for seniors. My cat vomited today(29.10.10) and she is in a quite bad mood, i want to get a check... (9683 views)

Coughing after spay. My cat was spayed 6 days ago. At first she was great.Incision looked great and still... (13304 views)

Pink lump on dog's paw. I just noticed my Daschund has a small lump on one of her paws. It is pinkish in... (57312 views)

Epogen for cat with anemia. Hi Dr. Marie, I need a second opinion. My 19 year old male cat was recently... (10857 views)

Dog or cat pooping in house. Everyday – twice a day – morning and when I get home from work –... (18519 views)

In heat cat spay. Dear Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed today (by laser). When I picked her up the vet... (12717 views)

Cat not eating much. Hi. My cat as some allergy problems since he is allergic to turkey and corn. For the... (10043 views)

Did my dog mate? hello my female dog was on her 2nd heat around 2months ago she got out my garden... (7535 views)

Exercise after a spay? Kallie got spayed last Tuesday (July 3). She still has her stitches. We have been... (6319 views)