Dog ate sanitary pad

Breed: American Eskimo
About a month ago my dog got into the trash and chewed up some sanitary napkins. He has now been very lethargic and no appetite . I took him to my vet and his kidney and liver levels are way off.
Should I request an X-ray before they do any other treatment?

I'm sorry to hear that Baxter is not well.

While it is possible that an obstruction from the sanitary pad could be causing him to not feel well, it is more likely that there is something else going on. Very high elevations in liver and kidney enzymes really should not be caused by an obstruction. In extreme cases, if an obstruction caused a perforation in the intestines, then high liver and kidney enzymes could be seen if the body is in an extreme state of shock and close to death, but this does not sound likely.

With that being said, with a history of getting into the trash, it certainly won't hurt to have some xrays done.

It's hard to say what the actual problem with Baxter is. At his age I would worry about serious conditions such as cancer. But there are other possibilities such as leptospirosis which can cause very serious kidney or liver problems, or even ingestion of a toxin.

It sounds like Baxter needs some in hospital care including IV fluids. I think that an xray is not a bad idea, and possibly an ultrasound could give good information about any sort of abdominal tumors.

I really do hope everything is ok.

Chicken jerky from Thailand. We hear about the chicken jerkey from China, how about the jerkey from Thiland. Do... (6679 views)

Bladder stone surgery. I just returned from the vet where my dog still is. It was discovered through... (21886 views)

Has my cat been poisoned? I think my cat has been poisoned. We found him very unlike himself, just sitting a... (7962 views)

Why do dogs eat grass? I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has... (14653 views)

Pit bull has pus and is off balance. Hi Dr.Marie, i was wondering if you could please answer a question for me. My dog... (7453 views)

Itchy bumps on back. I took my dog to get groomed about 6 weeks ago and I noticed that she got a few... (11848 views)

Blood in puppy's poo. Hi Dr Marie. We have just bought an adorable little puppy from a farmer. Since we... (6474 views)

Is this Pemphigus? My cat Loki is a 4 yr old, neutered male. Over the past 2 years he has been getting... (8883 views)

Is mammary tumor cancerous? I'm wondering whether to remove a small tumor from my 7 yr old chihuahua/dachshund's... (5272 views)

Cat with asthma. My cat sam is 9 yrs old. he weighs about 16 pounds. He has coughing spells about 3... (7991 views)