Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Dog ate sanitary pad

Species: Dog
Breed: American Eskimo
Age: 11-15 years
About a month ago my dog got into the trash and chewed up some sanitary napkins. He has now been very lethargic and no appetite . I took him to my vet and his kidney and liver levels are way off.
Should I request an X-ray before they do any other treatment?


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

I'm sorry to hear that Baxter is not well.

While it is possible that an obstruction from the sanitary pad could be causing him to not feel well, it is more likely that there is something else going on. Very high elevations in liver and kidney enzymes really should not be caused by an obstruction. In extreme cases, if an obstruction caused a perforation in the intestines, then high liver and kidney enzymes could be seen if the body is in an extreme state of shock and close to death, but this does not sound likely.

With that being said, with a history of getting into the trash, it certainly won't hurt to have some xrays done.

It's hard to say what the actual problem with Baxter is. At his age I would worry about serious conditions such as cancer. But there are other possibilities such as leptospirosis which can cause very serious kidney or liver problems, or even ingestion of a toxin.

It sounds like Baxter needs some in hospital care including IV fluids. I think that an xray is not a bad idea, and possibly an ultrasound could give good information about any sort of abdominal tumors.

I really do hope everything is ok.

Dr. Marie.


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Tumor or cystitis? I have a 17-year-old male cat (British short hair). He is in good health, eats and... (14118 views)

Itchy ears and bum. My dog keeps scratching at her ears and shakes her head a lot. I clean her ears and... (16315 views)

Why is my hamster biting me? My hamster bites me only when I take him out of his ball or exercise wheel. Even on... (14547 views)

Getting a second guinea pig. So I have a male guinea pig and one of my friends can't keep hers so she is gonna... (9634 views)

Did raw food cause death? Hi, Dr. Marie, My sweet Shiva, who has been with me since an 8-wk old pup in 2002,... (8903 views)

Aggressive hamster. hello, i got a russian hamster yesterday and in the store and at home he was really... (11062 views)

Surgery needed for cruciate tear? Hello again Dr. Marie, you seem like a compassionate and caring person, so I would... (5793 views)

Reverse sneeze. My dog started making a weird nosie that sounds kind of like a pig but that seems to... (7779 views)

Peeing on clothes. My old cat seems to be healthy, he eats well, is blind in one eye but that doesn't... (7246 views)

Scratching ears and shaking head. We just started a road trip and my Isis has started scratching her ears and shaking... (8689 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.