Dog ate sanitary pad

Breed: American Eskimo
About a month ago my dog got into the trash and chewed up some sanitary napkins. He has now been very lethargic and no appetite . I took him to my vet and his kidney and liver levels are way off.
Should I request an X-ray before they do any other treatment?

I'm sorry to hear that Baxter is not well.

While it is possible that an obstruction from the sanitary pad could be causing him to not feel well, it is more likely that there is something else going on. Very high elevations in liver and kidney enzymes really should not be caused by an obstruction. In extreme cases, if an obstruction caused a perforation in the intestines, then high liver and kidney enzymes could be seen if the body is in an extreme state of shock and close to death, but this does not sound likely.

With that being said, with a history of getting into the trash, it certainly won't hurt to have some xrays done.

It's hard to say what the actual problem with Baxter is. At his age I would worry about serious conditions such as cancer. But there are other possibilities such as leptospirosis which can cause very serious kidney or liver problems, or even ingestion of a toxin.

It sounds like Baxter needs some in hospital care including IV fluids. I think that an xray is not a bad idea, and possibly an ultrasound could give good information about any sort of abdominal tumors.

I really do hope everything is ok.

Tumor or cystitis? I have a 17-year-old male cat (British short hair). He is in good health, eats and... (14118 views)

Itchy ears and bum. My dog keeps scratching at her ears and shakes her head a lot. I clean her ears and... (16315 views)

Why is my hamster biting me? My hamster bites me only when I take him out of his ball or exercise wheel. Even on... (14547 views)

Getting a second guinea pig. So I have a male guinea pig and one of my friends can't keep hers so she is gonna... (9634 views)

Did raw food cause death? Hi, Dr. Marie, My sweet Shiva, who has been with me since an 8-wk old pup in 2002,... (8903 views)

Aggressive hamster. hello, i got a russian hamster yesterday and in the store and at home he was really... (11062 views)

Surgery needed for cruciate tear? Hello again Dr. Marie, you seem like a compassionate and caring person, so I would... (5793 views)

Reverse sneeze. My dog started making a weird nosie that sounds kind of like a pig but that seems to... (7779 views)

Peeing on clothes. My old cat seems to be healthy, he eats well, is blind in one eye but that doesn't... (7246 views)

Scratching ears and shaking head. We just started a road trip and my Isis has started scratching her ears and shaking... (8689 views)