Dog ate sanitary pad

Breed: American Eskimo
About a month ago my dog got into the trash and chewed up some sanitary napkins. He has now been very lethargic and no appetite . I took him to my vet and his kidney and liver levels are way off.
Should I request an X-ray before they do any other treatment?

I'm sorry to hear that Baxter is not well.

While it is possible that an obstruction from the sanitary pad could be causing him to not feel well, it is more likely that there is something else going on. Very high elevations in liver and kidney enzymes really should not be caused by an obstruction. In extreme cases, if an obstruction caused a perforation in the intestines, then high liver and kidney enzymes could be seen if the body is in an extreme state of shock and close to death, but this does not sound likely.

With that being said, with a history of getting into the trash, it certainly won't hurt to have some xrays done.

It's hard to say what the actual problem with Baxter is. At his age I would worry about serious conditions such as cancer. But there are other possibilities such as leptospirosis which can cause very serious kidney or liver problems, or even ingestion of a toxin.

It sounds like Baxter needs some in hospital care including IV fluids. I think that an xray is not a bad idea, and possibly an ultrasound could give good information about any sort of abdominal tumors.

I really do hope everything is ok.

Dog biting at tail. I just noticed earlier today Sept. 29th that my Husky has chunks of hair missing... (36196 views)

Kitten's eye is sealed shut. My kitten got either calici virus or the herpes virus and it affected one eye. For... (20298 views)

Cat is being picked on I have 3 cats. Inga is picked on by both. I think they both just want to play with... (12076 views)

Are bully sticks safe? My dog loves to chew on bully sticks. I think it's kind of gross that it is a... (20740 views)

My dog is grieving. Good Day Dr. In March of 2011 we lost Lucy (Coton du Tulear) to heart disease. ... (16603 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (11199 views)

Cancer or infection? I recently had to put my dog to sleep after I found out he had cancer that had... (11870 views)

Sore pug. The first time we thought something was wrong was when we took him out for his usual... (7695 views)

Swollen eye and face. Hello, My 12.5 years old dog, Siberian husky, (in very good condition... (13617 views)

Short of breath and runny nose. My dog is shor of breath, has a runny nose, and is shaking please help me I do not... (8780 views)