Dog ate sanitary pad

Breed: American Eskimo
About a month ago my dog got into the trash and chewed up some sanitary napkins. He has now been very lethargic and no appetite . I took him to my vet and his kidney and liver levels are way off.
Should I request an X-ray before they do any other treatment?

I'm sorry to hear that Baxter is not well.

While it is possible that an obstruction from the sanitary pad could be causing him to not feel well, it is more likely that there is something else going on. Very high elevations in liver and kidney enzymes really should not be caused by an obstruction. In extreme cases, if an obstruction caused a perforation in the intestines, then high liver and kidney enzymes could be seen if the body is in an extreme state of shock and close to death, but this does not sound likely.

With that being said, with a history of getting into the trash, it certainly won't hurt to have some xrays done.

It's hard to say what the actual problem with Baxter is. At his age I would worry about serious conditions such as cancer. But there are other possibilities such as leptospirosis which can cause very serious kidney or liver problems, or even ingestion of a toxin.

It sounds like Baxter needs some in hospital care including IV fluids. I think that an xray is not a bad idea, and possibly an ultrasound could give good information about any sort of abdominal tumors.

I really do hope everything is ok.

Cancer in a cat's chest. Hi there, I hope this wont be too long, but I want to provide the history of the... (10865 views)

Do I have rabies? Hiii m rakesh..i was bitten by a dog when i was 18 years old. I dnt know that dog... (9733 views)

Deformed leg on puppy. I have a Pomeranian Maltese that gave birth early yesterday morning. When going to... (11565 views)

Lethargic kitten after spay. My kitten is around five minths old. She was spayed on July 23rd ish. Since her... (15264 views)

I'm out of prednisone. Sammy has been on 2.5mg of prednisone per day for the past two years for... (15957 views)

Dog ate a feminine pad. My Boyfriend's Dog scooter is a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is about 4 years old.... (162263 views)

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (10041 views)

Sick kitten We recently found this kitten last week outside, when we found him we estimated that... (8884 views)

Phenobarbital and Zonisamide. Ziggy had cluster seizures as a puppy and we have been controlling them (averages... (8536 views)

Grunting pitbull I have two pit bulls, one is Maverick (female) and the other is Diezel (male). I... (11629 views)