Brain tumor or epilepsy?

Breed: Labrado Retriever
Hi Dr. Marie

I have a yellow lab named Sam

He experienced seizures twice yesterday and was brought into an emergency

A doctor did blood, blood glucose, and PCV/total protein test and everything looks fine
He suspected that Sam might have a brain tumor or epilapsy
In order to diagnose Sam better, he needs to do MRI which costs $2000 and I don't think I can afford that
Is there any other possibility that causes a seizure?
Is there any other test that can diagnose Sam's illness?

Thank you

Seulki Kim

Hi there and thanks for your question. I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with seizures in Sam. Seizures can be very frightening to deal with. And, unfortunately it can often be difficult to diagnose the cause of seizures.

The first thing we do when a dog has seizures is some basic bloodwork to rule out something like a liver or kidney problem and it sounds like this is what your vet did.

Unfortunately, if we can't pin the seizures on a kidney or liver problem then it becomes very hard to find the cause.

In an ideal world, every animal who has seizures should have an MRI or CAT scan done to see if there is a tumor in the brain. However, most pet owners cannot afford to have that done. AND, if it does turn out that there is a brain tumor in most cases there is nothing we can do.

I believe the reason that your vet suggested a tumor is that it is a little bit unusual for a dog to be diagnosed with epilepsy after the age of 6. However, it still is possible.

Unfortunately there is no test for epilepsy.

There are other possible causes for seizures but they are very uncommon. Some types of neurotoxins such as certain mushrooms can cause seizures. There are some parasites or infections that can cause seizures. However, we would usually see changes in the bloodwork such as an increase in white blood cells or eosinophils.

I have had some dogs however, who have a seizure, or even a cluster of seizures and then never have a seizure again.

Is Sam doing ok now? If so, if this were my case I would be recommending the MRI, but would also explain that I understand if you were not willing to go to this expense. So, if we did not do an MRI I would probably recommend simply monitoring Sam. If he continues to have seizures then I would likely start him on an anti-seizure medication which often does a very good job at controlling seizures.

I know seizures can be very frustrating. I hope that Sam does ok. Let me know if you have more questions.

He hasn't had any seizures yet and he is stable and alert.

I wish I could afford the money to do MRI scan
Anyways..
Thank you for your help Dr. Marie

Seulki

You're very welcome! I think it is quite reasonable to keep an eye on Sam for now. If he does have more seizures write down the dates of them. I generally consider using anti-seizure medicine if a dog is having several seizures per month.

I hope all goes well!

Bump on eye. Dear Dr. Marie, I am writing about my 3-year-old Australian Cattle Dog, Bruce.... (14004 views)

Dog with ear problem. Icleaned my dogs ears with a Q tip and may have hurt his ear drum. I cannot go to a... (14350 views)

Increased thirst and urination. Hi Dr. Marie, This question concerns crystals in urine. Starting about 1 week... (6127 views)

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (5999 views)

Bleeding cat? my cat (female and she has has been neutered)appears to be dropping a red liquid in... (11994 views)

Retrobulbar abscess My 3 year old, female border collie was treated late yesterday for a retrobulbar... (12621 views)

Dog's stool a little loose. Dr Marie, Examining that bump around Max's nipples it appears to be less solid.... (5902 views)

Large red spots on dog's stomach. When I got home from work today, my dog had several large red spots on his stomach.... (187673 views)

Boxer bleeding from mouth. Hello my dog has just started bleeding from his mouth its not alot alot but it is... (70753 views)

Dog urinates while walking Recently, I have noticed that my dog will walk along urinating. It seems to me that... (36594 views)