Brain tumor or epilepsy?

Breed: Labrado Retriever
Hi Dr. Marie

I have a yellow lab named Sam

He experienced seizures twice yesterday and was brought into an emergency

A doctor did blood, blood glucose, and PCV/total protein test and everything looks fine
He suspected that Sam might have a brain tumor or epilapsy
In order to diagnose Sam better, he needs to do MRI which costs $2000 and I don't think I can afford that
Is there any other possibility that causes a seizure?
Is there any other test that can diagnose Sam's illness?

Thank you

Seulki Kim

Hi there and thanks for your question. I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with seizures in Sam. Seizures can be very frightening to deal with. And, unfortunately it can often be difficult to diagnose the cause of seizures.

The first thing we do when a dog has seizures is some basic bloodwork to rule out something like a liver or kidney problem and it sounds like this is what your vet did.

Unfortunately, if we can't pin the seizures on a kidney or liver problem then it becomes very hard to find the cause.

In an ideal world, every animal who has seizures should have an MRI or CAT scan done to see if there is a tumor in the brain. However, most pet owners cannot afford to have that done. AND, if it does turn out that there is a brain tumor in most cases there is nothing we can do.

I believe the reason that your vet suggested a tumor is that it is a little bit unusual for a dog to be diagnosed with epilepsy after the age of 6. However, it still is possible.

Unfortunately there is no test for epilepsy.

There are other possible causes for seizures but they are very uncommon. Some types of neurotoxins such as certain mushrooms can cause seizures. There are some parasites or infections that can cause seizures. However, we would usually see changes in the bloodwork such as an increase in white blood cells or eosinophils.

I have had some dogs however, who have a seizure, or even a cluster of seizures and then never have a seizure again.

Is Sam doing ok now? If so, if this were my case I would be recommending the MRI, but would also explain that I understand if you were not willing to go to this expense. So, if we did not do an MRI I would probably recommend simply monitoring Sam. If he continues to have seizures then I would likely start him on an anti-seizure medication which often does a very good job at controlling seizures.

I know seizures can be very frustrating. I hope that Sam does ok. Let me know if you have more questions.

He hasn't had any seizures yet and he is stable and alert.

I wish I could afford the money to do MRI scan
Anyways..
Thank you for your help Dr. Marie

Seulki

You're very welcome! I think it is quite reasonable to keep an eye on Sam for now. If he does have more seizures write down the dates of them. I generally consider using anti-seizure medicine if a dog is having several seizures per month.

I hope all goes well!

Cat losing clumps of fur Our beloved 9 yo old male cat Gretzkey is ripping his hair out in clumps. Our house... (43852 views)

Dog has wound under arm. I was wondering how I would go about dressing an area on my dog under her arm? It... (10437 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My pug has been vomiting over the last few days it started two nights ago I woke up... (36417 views)

Vulva dermatitis. Good Morning Doctor: My 6 year old Golden(Honey) has an infection around her female... (27186 views)

Not eating, drinking or peeing. I aquired this 10yr old fixed,declawed male cat a couple of months ago. for about 4... (12982 views)

Worms in kittens. Hey there, I just got two 9 week old kittens. They have had their shots but they... (70290 views)

Guinea pig breathing problems. I'm not sure if you can answer this. My Guinea Pig was breathing very loud and fast.... (15691 views)

Cyst on dog? My toy rat terrier chiuaua mix has a clear bumpy thing on her side just below her... (8947 views)

Dog won't eat. well dr my dog he always wants to go outside and doesnt want to eat his food and we... (12742 views)

Large blister on ear. MY DOG HAS WHAT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE A LARGE WATER BLISTER ON HIS EAR WHAT COULD IT... (19063 views)