Needs anal glands done again.

Breed: Tabby
I just took Chloe to the vet last weekend because she was skooting and her vet expressed her anal glands. I noticed today for the first time that she is starting this again. I am guessing I need to take her back to the vet, but is there anything I can be feeding her, or any pills or anything, to correct this problem that she has?? Vet bills are going to get expensive.

Thanks

Well this sounds frustrating! When an animal needs their anal glands expressed only a week after they were done before, it often means that there is an infection in the glands. When there is an infection this will cause debris and pus to collect within the glands.

If this is the case, then Chloe may need to be treated with antibiotics or she might need to have a solution of antibiotics and steroids infused into her glands. So, unfortunately she will need to go back to the vet's again.

For animals that have to have their glands done regularly (like monthly) I will often recommend changing the food and this will decrease how often they need to be done. It really doesn't matter what the food is changed to, sometimes just changing to a different one makes a difference. However, some animals need a hypoallergenic food in order to help. It is also possible that a small amount of canned pumpkin daily would make a difference. But, I wouldn't be making any changes right now because, again, if they need expressing only a week later there is probably something else like an infection going on.

I hope she does ok!

IVDD in Basset Hound? Frank has had a very hard stomach for 2.5 days now and he is not drinking much... (38931 views)

PNST in a dog. My Jack Russell (8 years old) was just diagnosed with a PNST. Which was discovered... (12364 views)

Lymph node enlargement. Lola was diagnosed with stage III-IVa (b cell) lymphoma a few months ago. Today was... (5362 views)

Interstitial cystitis. My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet,... (5394 views)

Hair loss around eyes. Recently my maltese is loosing hair around his eyes. I have been feeding him the... (14185 views)

Vaccinate against parvo? Chester is about 10 weeks he was a stray he now has Parvo but I think recovering at... (5282 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (9343 views)

Bruising on neck. My mini dachshund went in for a dental cleaning, which the vet said went as normal.... (10753 views)

Shifting lameness and weight loss. In March, Grayson suddenly started limping on his front left paw. We took him to... (6947 views)

Lump on ear flap. hello, what it is my dog ruby has this lump on the flap of her ear its soft feels... (8805 views)