Needs anal glands done again.

Breed: Tabby
I just took Chloe to the vet last weekend because she was skooting and her vet expressed her anal glands. I noticed today for the first time that she is starting this again. I am guessing I need to take her back to the vet, but is there anything I can be feeding her, or any pills or anything, to correct this problem that she has?? Vet bills are going to get expensive.

Thanks

Well this sounds frustrating! When an animal needs their anal glands expressed only a week after they were done before, it often means that there is an infection in the glands. When there is an infection this will cause debris and pus to collect within the glands.

If this is the case, then Chloe may need to be treated with antibiotics or she might need to have a solution of antibiotics and steroids infused into her glands. So, unfortunately she will need to go back to the vet's again.

For animals that have to have their glands done regularly (like monthly) I will often recommend changing the food and this will decrease how often they need to be done. It really doesn't matter what the food is changed to, sometimes just changing to a different one makes a difference. However, some animals need a hypoallergenic food in order to help. It is also possible that a small amount of canned pumpkin daily would make a difference. But, I wouldn't be making any changes right now because, again, if they need expressing only a week later there is probably something else like an infection going on.

I hope she does ok!

Lump on my dog. Hello Dr. Marie, I sincerely hope that this is real, and that if it is and you... (34345 views)

Pain in front leg. She has been limping, crying out to us, and holding up her front right leg. It... (6678 views)

Golden Retriever Losing Weight. Hi my dog is 13 years old ,and tough he acts fine ,and goes walking everyday,he has... (16207 views)

Cat losing clumps of fur Our beloved 9 yo old male cat Gretzkey is ripping his hair out in clumps. Our house... (41807 views)

Green and black teeth. My Basenji is 14 years old, has green/black teeth in the back. He has started... (13227 views)

Gagging dog. Last night, my dog was in his crate for bed, when I heard him gag for the first... (90307 views)

Itchy rash near backside My dog has what looks like a rash on her right leg, near her backside and has been... (8964 views)

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (5828 views)

Dog panting at night time. I would like to know if you can tell me why my dog is panting at night time. I have... (298769 views)

Renal lymphoma? my cat just had dental surgery. After about a week I noticed she was still listless... (24957 views)