Needs anal glands done again.

Breed: Tabby
I just took Chloe to the vet last weekend because she was skooting and her vet expressed her anal glands. I noticed today for the first time that she is starting this again. I am guessing I need to take her back to the vet, but is there anything I can be feeding her, or any pills or anything, to correct this problem that she has?? Vet bills are going to get expensive.

Thanks

Well this sounds frustrating! When an animal needs their anal glands expressed only a week after they were done before, it often means that there is an infection in the glands. When there is an infection this will cause debris and pus to collect within the glands.

If this is the case, then Chloe may need to be treated with antibiotics or she might need to have a solution of antibiotics and steroids infused into her glands. So, unfortunately she will need to go back to the vet's again.

For animals that have to have their glands done regularly (like monthly) I will often recommend changing the food and this will decrease how often they need to be done. It really doesn't matter what the food is changed to, sometimes just changing to a different one makes a difference. However, some animals need a hypoallergenic food in order to help. It is also possible that a small amount of canned pumpkin daily would make a difference. But, I wouldn't be making any changes right now because, again, if they need expressing only a week later there is probably something else like an infection going on.

I hope she does ok!

Cat pulling hair out of stomach. Dark has been pulling the hair out of his stomach for over a year. He now has a... (8143 views)

Malamute panting. We have taken in a rescue dog. When they brought him to us he was panting and they... (6986 views)

Morning after pill for dogs? Is there a "morning after pill" for dogs? ... (24372 views)

Hot spot on head. My dog has a raw spot on the top of his head that looks like a hotspot. He has... (5099 views)

Senior cat losing weight. My cat is approx. 16 years old. The last few months she has been losing a lot of... (7589 views)

Blood in urine My male cat has red staining to his urine, he isn't acting any different but is... (4651 views)

Remove lumps? Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in... (8545 views)

Dog has liver cancer. Our 12 year old Golden/Lab mix has been diagnosed with liver cancer. What can we do... (19564 views)

Healthy cat died suddenly. Why did my cat die? I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I... (18797 views)

Human medicine for cats? Dear Whom ever it concerns, Hi my name is Lindsey. I got this stray cat 3-4 months... (11037 views)