Needs anal glands done again.

Breed: Tabby
I just took Chloe to the vet last weekend because she was skooting and her vet expressed her anal glands. I noticed today for the first time that she is starting this again. I am guessing I need to take her back to the vet, but is there anything I can be feeding her, or any pills or anything, to correct this problem that she has?? Vet bills are going to get expensive.

Thanks

Well this sounds frustrating! When an animal needs their anal glands expressed only a week after they were done before, it often means that there is an infection in the glands. When there is an infection this will cause debris and pus to collect within the glands.

If this is the case, then Chloe may need to be treated with antibiotics or she might need to have a solution of antibiotics and steroids infused into her glands. So, unfortunately she will need to go back to the vet's again.

For animals that have to have their glands done regularly (like monthly) I will often recommend changing the food and this will decrease how often they need to be done. It really doesn't matter what the food is changed to, sometimes just changing to a different one makes a difference. However, some animals need a hypoallergenic food in order to help. It is also possible that a small amount of canned pumpkin daily would make a difference. But, I wouldn't be making any changes right now because, again, if they need expressing only a week later there is probably something else like an infection going on.

I hope she does ok!

Lump on hamster near leg. Hi, My hamster has a pink lump on her right side (Near the front right leg) She... (15362 views)

Chicken fillets by Beefeaters. Dear Dr. Marie, I have a 10 y.o. Black and Tan Coonhound and he just loves... (12612 views)

Canine tooth extracted. My cat recently underwent a procedure to remove her broken, upper right canine. It... (5774 views)

Dog is afraid of people. I have a shy dog and a trainer told me to densitize her to her fears. she is afraid... (5619 views)

Remove lumps? Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in... (9660 views)

Dog has a crooked tail. We have a pure bred Staffy 5 months old. Her tail curls right over her back and... (13945 views)

Cat is not eating. Our 6 year old male cat has not been eating or Drinking. He has not been using the... (16685 views)

Cat with painful lump. my outside cat just recently got a big lump on the right side of his stomach and he... (15696 views)

Hypothermic dog. Two days ago my black lab pup fell threw some ice, he was in the water for about 5... (8777 views)

Dog ate moldy food. I know its likely my question won't get answered, and this is a question that can't... (26491 views)