Needs anal glands done again.

Breed: Tabby
I just took Chloe to the vet last weekend because she was skooting and her vet expressed her anal glands. I noticed today for the first time that she is starting this again. I am guessing I need to take her back to the vet, but is there anything I can be feeding her, or any pills or anything, to correct this problem that she has?? Vet bills are going to get expensive.

Thanks

Well this sounds frustrating! When an animal needs their anal glands expressed only a week after they were done before, it often means that there is an infection in the glands. When there is an infection this will cause debris and pus to collect within the glands.

If this is the case, then Chloe may need to be treated with antibiotics or she might need to have a solution of antibiotics and steroids infused into her glands. So, unfortunately she will need to go back to the vet's again.

For animals that have to have their glands done regularly (like monthly) I will often recommend changing the food and this will decrease how often they need to be done. It really doesn't matter what the food is changed to, sometimes just changing to a different one makes a difference. However, some animals need a hypoallergenic food in order to help. It is also possible that a small amount of canned pumpkin daily would make a difference. But, I wouldn't be making any changes right now because, again, if they need expressing only a week later there is probably something else like an infection going on.

I hope she does ok!

Large abdomen in cat. We have an 18+ year old cat who is thin and bony, but has a 20" diameter potbelly... (13353 views)

Cat is sleeping a lot. My cat has been sleeping a lot in the last two days. Want play. Will eat a little.... (10214 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My dog has eaten very little the last week and has thrown up almost every time. He... (11618 views)

Vuvlar tumor in a cat. Hello, 2 weeks ago i had my russian blue sterilised cat (elderly not sure how old... (11635 views)

Do cats get pink eye? My cat had a "pink eye" this weekend while I was away, according to the pet sitter. ... (6334 views)

Panleukopenia vaccine. we have two 12 week old kittens. last week we looked after two 7 week old kittens... (9996 views)

Dog died of pancreatitis. My yorkie died at the vets. She was 10 and a half. I fed her new dog food... (35639 views)

Frontline and capstar but still has fleas. My cat has fleas. We have treated him with capstar and frontline, given him a flea... (21434 views)

Dark spot on eye. scooby recently has a darker spot on his pupil, other than that his health is... (29523 views)

Straining to urinate. I have an 8 year old yellow lab named Chloie. She was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (5889 views)