Swollen foot and death in a dog.

Breed: mongrel
I am seeking for an answer what could be the reason my dog can hardly breathe and his right foot swollen and turned purple. I brought him to the hospital but within 24 hours he died. When I brought him my problem was that he was pale, aside from his swollen foot and eye (both right side) caused by scratching as it looked like itchy. He also pooped with blood but it stopped after he was given gentamycin antibiotic by another vet. What I wondered is when I brought him to the hospital and he was given a few medications that was the time he suffered from labored breathing and his whole leg swollen and purple. I have uploaded the whole story and pictures on my personal blog http://dogfashionandmeds.blogspot.com/2010/11/november-is-worst-month-of-this-year.html. I am really thankful for the advise you can give me. I have 11 other dogs (they were 13 before but I lost two just in just two weeks!). If okay with you, I will also post your advice on my blog so it can help other dog lovers, and I will put a link going to this website of yours so they can contact you in case they have questions as well. Thanks very much!

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your ordeal with Sugar and that he did not survive.

I did take some time to read your blog. It sounds like Sugar had excellent vet care.

You mentioned on your blog that Sugar was diagnosed with Ehrlichiosis. This is likely that cause of all of his symptoms.

Ehrlichiosis is spread by ticks. Sometimes a tick can be present on a dog and not be found.

Here is a link to some good information on ehrlichiosis.

One of the most significant things about ehrlichiosis is that it causes really low platelet numbers. When platelets are low it will cause the body to bleed very easily. In your blog you mentioned several signs of bleeding:

-Blood in stool
-bruising on the foot and leg
-the black stool (indicates bleeding in the stomach)
-pale gums
-the tiny bruise marks on the abdomen

I can think of two possible reasons for the serious problem with the foot. The most likely is that Sugar had an infection in that foot possibly as a result of a small wound. But, because he was really low on platelets he could not heal the wound properly. Where a normal dog would have a small bruise, he just kept on bruising and swelling.

The second possibility is if he had something called "vasculitis". Some dogs in the end stages of ehrlichiosis can get a serious problem where the immune system causes tiny molecules to form that can block blood vessels. This causes extreme swelling and purple discoloration.

I am so sorry for all that you went through. From what I read on your blog it sounds like all of the right things were done in his treatment, but sometimes we just don't win against serious disease.

You are definitely welcome to post my reply to your blog. Please rest assured that you did all you could. It sounds like Sugar was a really important part of your family and will be sorely missed.

Cyst on dog? My toy rat terrier chiuaua mix has a clear bumpy thing on her side just below her... (7810 views)

Diabetic cat problems. ivay is a diabetic last blood test 3 weeks ago was 21 he has gained 5 lbs since jan... (5458 views)

Back leg shaking. My aging Pit bull terrier's back leg shakes like he has Parkinson's disease. Back... (8731 views)

Broken leg in puppy? hi my puppu fell off the bed and now she cant put any weight on her front left paw... (23952 views)

Dog peeing on furniture Skyler is 2 years old and is house broken but sometimes he will come back inside and... (9162 views)

Benadryl for allergies? Dear Dr. Marie, Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes... (7240 views)

Can you die from a cat bite? hello dr.marie.i am too small to pay your fees but scared that i am not getting any... (19158 views)

Cancer in lung? Hello You answered already a questions with respect to my dog Mara (x rays: lots of... (29377 views)

Pit bull with pink skin. I have a pit bull that is black and white in color. Actually he is predominately... (42946 views)

Corn in dog food. I have heard that corn is bad in dog food. Also that alfalfa, brewers yeast, and... (15563 views)