Swollen foot and death in a dog.

Breed: mongrel
I am seeking for an answer what could be the reason my dog can hardly breathe and his right foot swollen and turned purple. I brought him to the hospital but within 24 hours he died. When I brought him my problem was that he was pale, aside from his swollen foot and eye (both right side) caused by scratching as it looked like itchy. He also pooped with blood but it stopped after he was given gentamycin antibiotic by another vet. What I wondered is when I brought him to the hospital and he was given a few medications that was the time he suffered from labored breathing and his whole leg swollen and purple. I have uploaded the whole story and pictures on my personal blog http://dogfashionandmeds.blogspot.com/2010/11/november-is-worst-month-of-this-year.html. I am really thankful for the advise you can give me. I have 11 other dogs (they were 13 before but I lost two just in just two weeks!). If okay with you, I will also post your advice on my blog so it can help other dog lovers, and I will put a link going to this website of yours so they can contact you in case they have questions as well. Thanks very much!

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your ordeal with Sugar and that he did not survive.

I did take some time to read your blog. It sounds like Sugar had excellent vet care.

You mentioned on your blog that Sugar was diagnosed with Ehrlichiosis. This is likely that cause of all of his symptoms.

Ehrlichiosis is spread by ticks. Sometimes a tick can be present on a dog and not be found.

Here is a link to some good information on ehrlichiosis.

One of the most significant things about ehrlichiosis is that it causes really low platelet numbers. When platelets are low it will cause the body to bleed very easily. In your blog you mentioned several signs of bleeding:

-Blood in stool
-bruising on the foot and leg
-the black stool (indicates bleeding in the stomach)
-pale gums
-the tiny bruise marks on the abdomen

I can think of two possible reasons for the serious problem with the foot. The most likely is that Sugar had an infection in that foot possibly as a result of a small wound. But, because he was really low on platelets he could not heal the wound properly. Where a normal dog would have a small bruise, he just kept on bruising and swelling.

The second possibility is if he had something called "vasculitis". Some dogs in the end stages of ehrlichiosis can get a serious problem where the immune system causes tiny molecules to form that can block blood vessels. This causes extreme swelling and purple discoloration.

I am so sorry for all that you went through. From what I read on your blog it sounds like all of the right things were done in his treatment, but sometimes we just don't win against serious disease.

You are definitely welcome to post my reply to your blog. Please rest assured that you did all you could. It sounds like Sugar was a really important part of your family and will be sorely missed.

Sore leg in a cat. I recently moved from a ranch house to townhouse(steps) in another city. Winston is... (30710 views)

Needs anals done often. Heidi is having trouble with anal glands. She is on a home cooked diet, mostly... (9937 views)

Can't put weight on his leg. my pit bull is shaking all over a refusing to put weight on his back leg what should... (27360 views)

Dwarf hamsters fighting. HI DOC. , I HAVE 2 DWARF HAMSTERS FEMALES , WHICH I BOUGHT TOGETHER AT A VERY... (14528 views)

Bladder stones and crystals. Hello Dr. Marie: Last fall and again in April of this year, Jazz got what was... (10922 views)

Chihuahua fell from couch. Hello. I have a sweet, loving, happy, and spoiled female chihuahua, weighing about... (10575 views)

Incontinent after exercise. Sporadically over the course of the past year or 15 months Keeley will have... (19716 views)

Infection on leg. My dog has been licking his inner thigh to the point where it is very red and there... (19159 views)

Boxer skin problems. -I apologize in advance for the novel i wrote below- We are officially at a loss.... (54492 views)

Gave meds to early. Hi Dr. Marie, We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early... (10443 views)