Allergic to greenies?

Breed: Brussels griffin pug
My 11.5 year old pug/griffin mix dog has been having nasal/breathing issues for the better part of two months now. He was put on clavamox then Zithromax with hardly any alleviation of symptoms. His lungs are clear, no fever, no nasal discharge. He breathes out of his month and if you listen closely he makes a whistling type sound when his mouth is open. He has been a bit lethargic and we've had to add "human" food to his dog food to make sure he eats it. Most recently our vet put him on an asthmatic medication this past Tuesday and he's been doing fantastic since - all his breathing issues went away and he was back to his normal self without any of that junky congestion sound. I gave him a greenie tonight (he's eaten these all his life but hasn't had any for the past week or so) and shortly after he ate it all his congestion issues seem to have returned... He's breathing with his mouth again and it sounds like he's attempting to clear his throat. I'm wondering if he could be allergic to the greenie? I'm amazed at how quickly all his symptoms returned when he was doing so great the past few days. Our vet did suggest the possibility of a collapsing trachea or nasal blockage causing these issues but that wouldn't explain how he's been symptom free the last few days with the asthmatic meds only to have a sudden onset of symptoms return tonight. Any help is appreciated.. We are so stressed over this.

Hmmm....this is a tough question to answer. It does seem pretty coincidental that Choopy's breathing issues returned after having a greenie. But, my guess is that this is not an allergy issue but rather, something else.

I think in order to figure this out, you may need to do some experimenting. We definitely don't want to cause Choopy discomfort, but we do need to figure out what is going on.

Here's what I would do if this were my dog. I would wait a few days and give no Greenies at all and watch for any symptoms. If he has been symptom free for a few days then I would give him a Greenie again and see if it happens. If it doesn't, then it may have just been coincidence. If it does, then I would again, wait a few days with no Greenies. Then, when he has been symptom free for a few days I would crush up a greenie into tiny pieces that he doesn't have to chew and see what happens. If he still gets congested after eating that, then there very well may be an allergy. But, if he seems ok, then it may actually be the act of chewing something hard that is bringing on the symptoms.

You can test this by giving him some other type of chewie treat. If a hard chew makes his symptoms come back then you may want to ask your vet about the possibility of a dental infection.

I hope this helps!

Thank you - just one question - if it was a dental infection would the asthmatic meds have made him better? He's much better again today and he seemed fine a few hours after he ate the greenie last night. I would just think if it wasn't asthma that the meds wouldn't help much.

There is a small chance that a dental problem could improve with asthmatic medication if the medication had steroid in it. But, from what you have described, it sounds like the problem getting worse after a greenie was just a coincidence.

13 year old cat losing weight. I have a 13 yr old male cat that has gradually started to lose weight. He has had... (8554 views)

Rat lost his brother. My rat has lost his brother will he be ok i am not getting another... (10889 views)

Dog snaps when head touched. Dear Dr. Marie, Our 7 year old bichon frise has started new concerning behavior.... (6216 views)

Lump on neck. My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed... (17802 views)

Does Vick's Vapo rub help cat's breathing? My vet says my cat has a sinus tumor and a Iwas wondering if vicks would help him to... (36596 views)

Suddenly jumps up. I have a dauschund and sheltie mix dog. He's about 3 years old. I've had him for 2... (54128 views)

Coconut milk for dogs. Okay my dog has suffered colitis since he was a pup, numerous vets said his food was... (106306 views)

Cat losing clumps of fur Our beloved 9 yo old male cat Gretzkey is ripping his hair out in clumps. Our house... (40088 views)

Fishy smell from dog. My boston terrier puts off a fishy smell. It doesn't happen all the time, but... (29926 views)

Healthy weight for a puppy. My papipoo recently had a haircut and I was shocked at how skinny he is. What is a... (9135 views)