Allergic to greenies?

Breed: Brussels griffin pug
My 11.5 year old pug/griffin mix dog has been having nasal/breathing issues for the better part of two months now. He was put on clavamox then Zithromax with hardly any alleviation of symptoms. His lungs are clear, no fever, no nasal discharge. He breathes out of his month and if you listen closely he makes a whistling type sound when his mouth is open. He has been a bit lethargic and we've had to add "human" food to his dog food to make sure he eats it. Most recently our vet put him on an asthmatic medication this past Tuesday and he's been doing fantastic since - all his breathing issues went away and he was back to his normal self without any of that junky congestion sound. I gave him a greenie tonight (he's eaten these all his life but hasn't had any for the past week or so) and shortly after he ate it all his congestion issues seem to have returned... He's breathing with his mouth again and it sounds like he's attempting to clear his throat. I'm wondering if he could be allergic to the greenie? I'm amazed at how quickly all his symptoms returned when he was doing so great the past few days. Our vet did suggest the possibility of a collapsing trachea or nasal blockage causing these issues but that wouldn't explain how he's been symptom free the last few days with the asthmatic meds only to have a sudden onset of symptoms return tonight. Any help is appreciated.. We are so stressed over this.

Hmmm....this is a tough question to answer. It does seem pretty coincidental that Choopy's breathing issues returned after having a greenie. But, my guess is that this is not an allergy issue but rather, something else.

I think in order to figure this out, you may need to do some experimenting. We definitely don't want to cause Choopy discomfort, but we do need to figure out what is going on.

Here's what I would do if this were my dog. I would wait a few days and give no Greenies at all and watch for any symptoms. If he has been symptom free for a few days then I would give him a Greenie again and see if it happens. If it doesn't, then it may have just been coincidence. If it does, then I would again, wait a few days with no Greenies. Then, when he has been symptom free for a few days I would crush up a greenie into tiny pieces that he doesn't have to chew and see what happens. If he still gets congested after eating that, then there very well may be an allergy. But, if he seems ok, then it may actually be the act of chewing something hard that is bringing on the symptoms.

You can test this by giving him some other type of chewie treat. If a hard chew makes his symptoms come back then you may want to ask your vet about the possibility of a dental infection.

I hope this helps!

Thank you - just one question - if it was a dental infection would the asthmatic meds have made him better? He's much better again today and he seemed fine a few hours after he ate the greenie last night. I would just think if it wasn't asthma that the meds wouldn't help much.

There is a small chance that a dental problem could improve with asthmatic medication if the medication had steroid in it. But, from what you have described, it sounds like the problem getting worse after a greenie was just a coincidence.

Lump on hamster Hi, Recenly my dwarf hamster has developed a pink lump with white spots under its... (23100 views)

Older cat losing weight. My eleven year old cat has congenital hipdisplasia however she has been happy... (28403 views)

Should dog have a liver biopsy? My dog, Zora, was adopted from a rescue group in CA so we don't know much about her... (12549 views)

Bump after fight. My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a... (103249 views)

Pattern baldness in dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have noticed that over the last few months my dog seems to be... (12681 views)

Lethargic after Trifexis. Hello, Thank you for your help. My beagle, Daisy (25 lbs), ate her dose of... (29791 views)

Vomiting dog. Our vet has told us that Lola won't digest all her food and empty her stomach in the... (8585 views)

Cat has a watery eye. Hi, I have spoken with you before about my cat Yoko. She suffers from swollen gums... (13386 views)

Seizures due to brain tumor? Hello I have a 9 year old standard poodle (neutured) that has had a seizure episode... (20223 views)

Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats? do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent... (11294 views)