Allergic to greenies?

Breed: Brussels griffin pug
My 11.5 year old pug/griffin mix dog has been having nasal/breathing issues for the better part of two months now. He was put on clavamox then Zithromax with hardly any alleviation of symptoms. His lungs are clear, no fever, no nasal discharge. He breathes out of his month and if you listen closely he makes a whistling type sound when his mouth is open. He has been a bit lethargic and we've had to add "human" food to his dog food to make sure he eats it. Most recently our vet put him on an asthmatic medication this past Tuesday and he's been doing fantastic since - all his breathing issues went away and he was back to his normal self without any of that junky congestion sound. I gave him a greenie tonight (he's eaten these all his life but hasn't had any for the past week or so) and shortly after he ate it all his congestion issues seem to have returned... He's breathing with his mouth again and it sounds like he's attempting to clear his throat. I'm wondering if he could be allergic to the greenie? I'm amazed at how quickly all his symptoms returned when he was doing so great the past few days. Our vet did suggest the possibility of a collapsing trachea or nasal blockage causing these issues but that wouldn't explain how he's been symptom free the last few days with the asthmatic meds only to have a sudden onset of symptoms return tonight. Any help is appreciated.. We are so stressed over this.

Hmmm....this is a tough question to answer. It does seem pretty coincidental that Choopy's breathing issues returned after having a greenie. But, my guess is that this is not an allergy issue but rather, something else.

I think in order to figure this out, you may need to do some experimenting. We definitely don't want to cause Choopy discomfort, but we do need to figure out what is going on.

Here's what I would do if this were my dog. I would wait a few days and give no Greenies at all and watch for any symptoms. If he has been symptom free for a few days then I would give him a Greenie again and see if it happens. If it doesn't, then it may have just been coincidence. If it does, then I would again, wait a few days with no Greenies. Then, when he has been symptom free for a few days I would crush up a greenie into tiny pieces that he doesn't have to chew and see what happens. If he still gets congested after eating that, then there very well may be an allergy. But, if he seems ok, then it may actually be the act of chewing something hard that is bringing on the symptoms.

You can test this by giving him some other type of chewie treat. If a hard chew makes his symptoms come back then you may want to ask your vet about the possibility of a dental infection.

I hope this helps!

Thank you - just one question - if it was a dental infection would the asthmatic meds have made him better? He's much better again today and he seemed fine a few hours after he ate the greenie last night. I would just think if it wasn't asthma that the meds wouldn't help much.

There is a small chance that a dental problem could improve with asthmatic medication if the medication had steroid in it. But, from what you have described, it sounds like the problem getting worse after a greenie was just a coincidence.

Lump on dog's leg. Hey Dr. Marie (and Happy Holidays!) I noticed about a week ago while petting my... (35629 views)

Dog barked during euthanasia. Hi Why most likley did my dog bark out when the vet put him to sleep. I thought... (11968 views)

Vomiting after allergy injection My sister took my dog to the vet yesterday where she recieved a shot to stop itching... (14780 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea every two weeks. I adopted my yorkiepoo from a local shelter in 12/2012. From that time until a few... (10605 views)

Did my dog mate? hello my female dog was on her 2nd heat around 2months ago she got out my garden... (7539 views)

congested kitten Hi,i recently took in a stray kitten & a few days ago she started coughing on &... (10552 views)

Dog scratching and biting. My dog has recently started scratching and biting at himself excessively, I have... (17840 views)

White tongue after neuter. My dog got neutered couple of days ago and seems to be recovering fine. He is eating... (10181 views)

Dog leaking urine. Good Evening. Charlot is a rescued dog so I do know his history prior to his new... (12441 views)

Radiation danger to pets? I am currently undergoing radioactive iodine therapy and my doctor says that I need... (33292 views)