Older cat with diarrhea

Breed: Tabby
Gizzy has Diarrhea most all the time and it smells really bad
She used to throw up all the time and the Vet said she
has problems digesting dry food
So i stopped feeding her dry food all the time
just giving her like a bag of Whiskas
She eats plenty
She really likes Human food and I know I shouldnt be feeding her that and it probably has alot to do with why she has such loose bowels
Some days she doesnt feel weel and you can tell and her stomach is swelled and she loves me to rub her tummy
I've started giving her a Multi Vitamin for Cats a couple days ago
What do you think the problem is
I'm broke and cant afford to really take her to Vet
Please help me
She is my life and i feel so bad
Thank you
Jenne

There are a lot of things that can cause diarrhea in an older cat. Unfortunately it can often be hard to know what the cause is.

While it is unlikely to be because of food, you could always try a hypoallergenic food and see if there is any difference after a few weeks.

However, if an older cat is developing diarrhea there is usually a medical problem.

It could be due to hyperthryoidism. Cats with this problem usually lose weight and have a good appetite.

It could also be due to inflammatory bowel disease. This can be treated with steroid medication prescribed by your vet.

Intestinal cancer such as lymphoma could do this.

It could also be due to parasites. It's not a bad idea to have your vet check a stool sample for parasites.

The multi-vitamin is not going to be helpful.

There is no over the counter medicine that I can recommend.

Ideally it would be best to have your vet do some blood tests on her.

Limping on rear leg. Hello Dr. Marie! Buddy came to us about six months ago a stray. Though it was... (23027 views)

Dog has a runny eye. Hi Marie! Aprox. 2 months ago, Hope's one eye started to water and run a clear... (22406 views)

Possible cruciate tear. I am currently fostering an overweight husky/lab cross (Working on the weight... (8132 views)

Recovery from FCE. Our dog was diagnosed with FCE about two months ago, I have been noticing some... (10723 views)

Limping kitten my kitten has started losing alot of weight and he is limping. his back left paw is... (10803 views)

Laser pointers for cats and dogs? Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or... (13264 views)

Rat pees and poops on owner. I have a baby rat that poops and pies on me when she gets out of the... (11172 views)

Ivermectin toxicity? Help! I think that I am accidentally poisoning my boy 4 year old by giving him... (17012 views)

Puppy and adult dog vomiting. Our 8 yr old lab became ill about 2 weeks ago with occassional vomiting, diarrhea,... (5643 views)

Old deaf dog. my dog is 16 yrs old and since he's gone deaf he gets very agitated when left,... (9121 views)