Older cat with diarrhea

Breed: Tabby
Gizzy has Diarrhea most all the time and it smells really bad
She used to throw up all the time and the Vet said she
has problems digesting dry food
So i stopped feeding her dry food all the time
just giving her like a bag of Whiskas
She eats plenty
She really likes Human food and I know I shouldnt be feeding her that and it probably has alot to do with why she has such loose bowels
Some days she doesnt feel weel and you can tell and her stomach is swelled and she loves me to rub her tummy
I've started giving her a Multi Vitamin for Cats a couple days ago
What do you think the problem is
I'm broke and cant afford to really take her to Vet
Please help me
She is my life and i feel so bad
Thank you
Jenne

There are a lot of things that can cause diarrhea in an older cat. Unfortunately it can often be hard to know what the cause is.

While it is unlikely to be because of food, you could always try a hypoallergenic food and see if there is any difference after a few weeks.

However, if an older cat is developing diarrhea there is usually a medical problem.

It could be due to hyperthryoidism. Cats with this problem usually lose weight and have a good appetite.

It could also be due to inflammatory bowel disease. This can be treated with steroid medication prescribed by your vet.

Intestinal cancer such as lymphoma could do this.

It could also be due to parasites. It's not a bad idea to have your vet check a stool sample for parasites.

The multi-vitamin is not going to be helpful.

There is no over the counter medicine that I can recommend.

Ideally it would be best to have your vet do some blood tests on her.

Urinating in the house. I have a 6 y.o. Bichon Frisé who should be house trained by now. In fact, he is... (16590 views)

Soft yellow stools and weight loss Sorry that this is long, but I want to give ALL details in case it helps. I... (39166 views)

Licking at private parts. I have a Indoor Male Maine Coon Cat 3 years 9mnths old, Eats 4 times a day Raw food... (11346 views)

Cat has swollen foot. I took my cat to the vet bc he was limping and they said he may have cut his foot... (5272 views)

Swelling above dog's eye. This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one... (31842 views)

Cat abscess not healing. About two weeks ago we took my cat to the vet, he has a abscess near his bottom, the... (11566 views)

Limping Boxer. My dog is a boxer about 2 yrs old. My son stepped on his paw about a week ago and... (13071 views)

Dog has warm ears. Is it normal for my dog to have warm ears? There is no discharge and the ears are... (85713 views)

Sick after neuter. On March 26, 2012 I took my two dogs and my friend’s dog to get spayed and... (16180 views)

Chicken fillets by Beefeaters. Dear Dr. Marie, I have a 10 y.o. Black and Tan Coonhound and he just loves... (13196 views)