Older cat with diarrhea

Breed: Tabby
Gizzy has Diarrhea most all the time and it smells really bad
She used to throw up all the time and the Vet said she
has problems digesting dry food
So i stopped feeding her dry food all the time
just giving her like a bag of Whiskas
She eats plenty
She really likes Human food and I know I shouldnt be feeding her that and it probably has alot to do with why she has such loose bowels
Some days she doesnt feel weel and you can tell and her stomach is swelled and she loves me to rub her tummy
I've started giving her a Multi Vitamin for Cats a couple days ago
What do you think the problem is
I'm broke and cant afford to really take her to Vet
Please help me
She is my life and i feel so bad
Thank you
Jenne

There are a lot of things that can cause diarrhea in an older cat. Unfortunately it can often be hard to know what the cause is.

While it is unlikely to be because of food, you could always try a hypoallergenic food and see if there is any difference after a few weeks.

However, if an older cat is developing diarrhea there is usually a medical problem.

It could be due to hyperthryoidism. Cats with this problem usually lose weight and have a good appetite.

It could also be due to inflammatory bowel disease. This can be treated with steroid medication prescribed by your vet.

Intestinal cancer such as lymphoma could do this.

It could also be due to parasites. It's not a bad idea to have your vet check a stool sample for parasites.

The multi-vitamin is not going to be helpful.

There is no over the counter medicine that I can recommend.

Ideally it would be best to have your vet do some blood tests on her.

Honey for a wound. Whats your opinion on using raw honey to treat and heal my geldings staph abcesses... (8171 views)

Dog has hotspots from fleas. In August my dog started scratching and biting creating hotspots. She has been... (8345 views)

Older cat losing weight. My eleven year old cat has congenital hipdisplasia however she has been happy... (23129 views)

Crusty cat nipple. My 8 year old male cats nipple was hard and crusty. I pulled it and it came out and... (66347 views)

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (33724 views)

Dog can't poop. okay hi how r u doing? my little dog she is a puppy she is 8 months she cant booboo... (14736 views)

Large black mole on dog. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m kind of worried because my dog, a Labrador retriever he has... (31396 views)

Can an older cat be groomed? I have been getting Lily groomed twice a year since she was 1. She is getting older... (4652 views)

Cat not eating. Hello, Dr. Haynes - My cat Simon doesn't seem to be eating or drinking very much... (50061 views)

Great Dane footpad problems. I am employeed as a dog walker and recently began visiting a young Great Dane. Her... (11808 views)