Xray for hip dysplasia?

Breed: golden
Hi Dr,

I was just wondering as a rule whether I should have Max x-rayed to check for hip dysplasia. He's 18 kmonths.

This current bit of hypochondria was brought on by some discussions with other Golden owners. As you know they are very prone to it.

I've started watching him and wonder if maybe his lef hip gate is a bit looser than the right. (though admittedly it wouldn't take much to convince me the other way).

The breeder sent me home with papers attesting to 5 generations hip certification from a lab in the US.

At 7 months the vet examined his hips and found 130 degrees motion without pain and without abnormality of gate.

He routinely runs up stairs, jumps on counters, ottomans. He has this trick where he jumps on the bed and then dodges left and right like a mogul skiier, for a good 10 min!

What are your thoughts?

Jay

Hi there Jay.

The reason why we usually do hip xrays at 18 months is to evaluate dogs who are going to be used for breeding. The idea is that if, by 18 months, we can see evidence of the potential for hip dysplasia, then we know that this dog is not a good one to use for breeding and we can go ahead and neuter the dog. It's kind of a moot point in Max's case because he's definitely not siring any puppies in his lifetime.

Otherwise, there really isn't any point in xraying him unless he is having lameness issues. A little bit of odd gait would not be enough for me to consider taking xrays. But, in his lifetime if he develops a limp in a hind leg or is reluctant to jump up or go up stairs then it's worthwhile to do the xrays.

To get good hip xrays it is usually necessary to do some deep sedation. I just can't see this being worth it to put your mind at ease.

I suppose the other idea of xraying him early would be that if he was to need surgery for hip dysplasia, well then we could do it early. But, realistically we wouldn't be considering surgery unless he had serious lameness issues.

So, I would say, no...don't have the xrays done.

The only reason I would consider doing them is if the thought of possible hip dysplasia is driving you crazy. However, the xrays might not even be conclusive at this age.

To what degree does 5 generations free predict no dysplasia in the current generation?

Can one spot a displasia from examination / visually ?

Jay

I would say that the odds are really good that Max will be fine if he has had 5 generations of no hip dysplasia. It's a tricky disease though. There are multiple genes involved and even the best breeders occasionally get the odd one. It sounds like your breeder is an ethical one and I would be very surprised if Max had a problem.

The only time that I can get an idea from hip dysplasia from a physical exam is when a dog is quite advanced. I'm generally looking for pain on palpation and manipulation of the hip joint. But, let's say we had a dog with the genes for hip dysplasia, but the disease has not gotten to the point where it causes pain, then I can't determine a thing on physical exam.

I understand. Thanks again.

Jay

Pit bull puppy is sick. My dog was outside and I was callig her, bit she didn't come I went to look for her... (7782 views)

Cat urinalysis. Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! My cat DB had a Urinalysis (by... (5697 views)

Penis discharge in dog. Hello. My male Jack Russell dog is now 6-7 months old and lately, he has been... (95389 views)

Possible cherry eye? My dog has red bags coming up from under his lower eye lids and covering half his... (6537 views)

Cat howling at night. Our 25 yo orange tiger stripe male developed kidney failure and we had to make the... (7982 views)

Dog eating dirt. My dog consumes grass and now wants to eat dirt when outside exercising despite a... (16185 views)

Tail tip injury. our dog is golden retriever 5 years old, he had happy tail and somehow cut the tip... (6781 views)

Vomiting undigested food. I read in a magazine Woman's World about your service to give pet medical advice. My... (18113 views)

Daschund with sore neck. My dog was perfectly fine leading up to and on the day he received his vaccines. He... (7285 views)

Nursing cat has no milk. she has difficulty producing milk; one time losing milk early, the second she... (10163 views)