Xray for hip dysplasia?

Breed: golden
Hi Dr,

I was just wondering as a rule whether I should have Max x-rayed to check for hip dysplasia. He's 18 kmonths.

This current bit of hypochondria was brought on by some discussions with other Golden owners. As you know they are very prone to it.

I've started watching him and wonder if maybe his lef hip gate is a bit looser than the right. (though admittedly it wouldn't take much to convince me the other way).

The breeder sent me home with papers attesting to 5 generations hip certification from a lab in the US.

At 7 months the vet examined his hips and found 130 degrees motion without pain and without abnormality of gate.

He routinely runs up stairs, jumps on counters, ottomans. He has this trick where he jumps on the bed and then dodges left and right like a mogul skiier, for a good 10 min!

What are your thoughts?

Jay

Hi there Jay.

The reason why we usually do hip xrays at 18 months is to evaluate dogs who are going to be used for breeding. The idea is that if, by 18 months, we can see evidence of the potential for hip dysplasia, then we know that this dog is not a good one to use for breeding and we can go ahead and neuter the dog. It's kind of a moot point in Max's case because he's definitely not siring any puppies in his lifetime.

Otherwise, there really isn't any point in xraying him unless he is having lameness issues. A little bit of odd gait would not be enough for me to consider taking xrays. But, in his lifetime if he develops a limp in a hind leg or is reluctant to jump up or go up stairs then it's worthwhile to do the xrays.

To get good hip xrays it is usually necessary to do some deep sedation. I just can't see this being worth it to put your mind at ease.

I suppose the other idea of xraying him early would be that if he was to need surgery for hip dysplasia, well then we could do it early. But, realistically we wouldn't be considering surgery unless he had serious lameness issues.

So, I would say, no...don't have the xrays done.

The only reason I would consider doing them is if the thought of possible hip dysplasia is driving you crazy. However, the xrays might not even be conclusive at this age.

To what degree does 5 generations free predict no dysplasia in the current generation?

Can one spot a displasia from examination / visually ?

Jay

I would say that the odds are really good that Max will be fine if he has had 5 generations of no hip dysplasia. It's a tricky disease though. There are multiple genes involved and even the best breeders occasionally get the odd one. It sounds like your breeder is an ethical one and I would be very surprised if Max had a problem.

The only time that I can get an idea from hip dysplasia from a physical exam is when a dog is quite advanced. I'm generally looking for pain on palpation and manipulation of the hip joint. But, let's say we had a dog with the genes for hip dysplasia, but the disease has not gotten to the point where it causes pain, then I can't determine a thing on physical exam.

I understand. Thanks again.

Jay

Blood in urine My male cat has red staining to his urine, he isn't acting any different but is... (6188 views)

Swollen nipple. I have a female dog that was fixed 6 years ago. She has 1 nipple that is swollen to... (25812 views)

Deaf and pooping in house. My cat is now about 15 years old and is in relatively good condition apart from the... (10920 views)

Wobbly lab. Hello - About 4 weeks ago, Koda started acting very stiff around his neck so we... (15121 views)

Cat's heart rate question. Does the heart-rate depend on the age of the... (7805 views)

Blood on penis. My son's 3 yr old dog is fixed but had sex with a female dog. Now he is bleeding... (16895 views)

Senior cat losing weight. Hello, My cat is 11 or 12 years old (he was a rescue kitty I inherited, so I'm... (5829 views)

Black spot on tongue. Hi, I have an 10 year old mutt, and she's never eaten dog food, for 10 years I've... (9559 views)

Questions about Feliway. Am interested in buying Feliway for scratching but need to know the ingredients.... (18520 views)

Dog on You Don't Mess with the Zohan. ok im very stressed what type of dog is on the movie You Don't Mess With The Zohan?... (14352 views)