Time for euthanasia.

Breed: Maltese
Mr. Magoo is 14 1/2 years old. He has Cushings disease (not being treated) and Diabetes (6 units insulin 2x day)and chronic skin rashes. He also has a significant heart murmer. He has great difficulty walking due to extreme weakness & shaking in his hind legs. I keep him diapered most of the time because he generally doesn't make it outside in time to poop. He will just poop in the diaper and lay that way until I get home and take him out. He does not seem to be in any pain, still has a good appetite, and is fairly alert; however I get the sense that it may be close to time to have him euthanized, but am having considerable difficulty making that decision. Any words of wisdom would be very much appreciated!

I'm sorry to hear about your hard decision. This is a question I get asked frequently. Here is another post in which I describe my criteria to help decide on euthanasia:

When is it time for euthanasia.

Swollen ear with pus. my dogs ear has suddenly become really swollen with what seems like puss it is very... (8573 views)

Limping cat. My cat is limping, she is not putting weight on her left hind leg. She isn't cut or... (20108 views)

Red spot near vulva. My six-year-old spayed, lab mix has a small red area near her vulva. She bites and... (22408 views)

Rabies from my dog? my 70 days old cocker spaniel bit my toe and there ws little bleeding and i cleaned... (5033 views)

Is this Pemphigus? My cat Loki is a 4 yr old, neutered male. Over the past 2 years he has been getting... (8702 views)

Older cat losing weight. My eleven year old cat has congenital hipdisplasia however she has been happy... (23015 views)

Lesion on cat's neck Hello, My cat had a lesion on his neck, it caused him no obvious pain. I... (8031 views)

Only one bowel movement. My 2 month old shih tzu only poops in the morning. He eats dog food soaked in water... (9929 views)

Lump after vaccines. ...Hello! My name is Jessie and I have a Teacup Chihuhua named Zeep. He is about 10... (14710 views)

Low specific gravity. This is regarding a 9 year old male pitbull, neutered with no past medical history.... (6510 views)