Time for euthanasia.

Breed: Maltese
Mr. Magoo is 14 1/2 years old. He has Cushings disease (not being treated) and Diabetes (6 units insulin 2x day)and chronic skin rashes. He also has a significant heart murmer. He has great difficulty walking due to extreme weakness & shaking in his hind legs. I keep him diapered most of the time because he generally doesn't make it outside in time to poop. He will just poop in the diaper and lay that way until I get home and take him out. He does not seem to be in any pain, still has a good appetite, and is fairly alert; however I get the sense that it may be close to time to have him euthanized, but am having considerable difficulty making that decision. Any words of wisdom would be very much appreciated!

I'm sorry to hear about your hard decision. This is a question I get asked frequently. Here is another post in which I describe my criteria to help decide on euthanasia:

When is it time for euthanasia.

Lump under dog's eye? Hello, A couple days ago I noticed a red-pink bump under my dog's right eye. It... (28072 views)

Chin acne. Hi there, My cat came down with a case of feline acne, probably caused by stress,... (10024 views)

Dry nose in a dog. is it normal that my 10 year old dog haves a very dry nose everytime?... (8139 views)

Benadryl for swollen snout? my dogs face around the snout has become swollen not sure why but im guessing its... (20934 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (209420 views)

Are brewers grains safe for dogs? Are brewers grains safe for dogs? My husband wants to buy some dog treats that are... (8387 views)

Ovariectomy vs. Ovariohysterectomy. My beautiful little girl had a lump near one of her lower nipples last week. After... (7428 views)

Feral cat with eye infection. We have a feral cat that was born in our yard 5 years ago. When he was a kitten he... (26741 views)

dog with red eye Hello, I have a 2 year old male lab pit mix, fr a couple his left eye has been... (23364 views)

Urinating in house. Our cat Alice was involved in a fight in the garden with another cat. SHe had a sore... (11050 views)