Time for euthanasia.

Breed: Maltese
Mr. Magoo is 14 1/2 years old. He has Cushings disease (not being treated) and Diabetes (6 units insulin 2x day)and chronic skin rashes. He also has a significant heart murmer. He has great difficulty walking due to extreme weakness & shaking in his hind legs. I keep him diapered most of the time because he generally doesn't make it outside in time to poop. He will just poop in the diaper and lay that way until I get home and take him out. He does not seem to be in any pain, still has a good appetite, and is fairly alert; however I get the sense that it may be close to time to have him euthanized, but am having considerable difficulty making that decision. Any words of wisdom would be very much appreciated!

I'm sorry to hear about your hard decision. This is a question I get asked frequently. Here is another post in which I describe my criteria to help decide on euthanasia:

When is it time for euthanasia.

Is URTI contagious to other cats? I have brang a new kitten home that has an upper respitory tract infection (URTI).... (7499 views)

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (20964 views)

Heart disease or cancer? Lazarus is still fighting. I appreciated that you understood my humor on the last... (4092 views)

How to get cat to lose weight. I have an overweight cat - we have gotten him down by three pounds but needs to lose... (7508 views)

Sudden death. My 3-yr old robust, healthy male house cat suddenly dropped dead in the middle of... (19897 views)

My kitten died. Hi Dr Marie, We came home on Sunday after a night away (less than 24 hours) to... (11069 views)

Wheezing, sneezing kitten. my kitten is 3 and a half months old recently she has been sleeping a whole lot and... (11143 views)

Regurgitating water. Hello, Dr Marie. My cocker spaniel just recently started regurgitating water. He... (10902 views)

Good chew toys for dogs. Hi Dr, I have a 9 month old dog who is part Golden and part Canadian beaver. He... (13930 views)

Hamster is dying. My hamster is 2 years and 11 months now . I noticed he hasnt been drinking as much ,... (8094 views)