Vomiting undigested food.

Breed: tabby mixed longhair
I read in a magazine Woman's World about your service to give pet medical advice. My pet cat, Simba, has been vomiting for two days. He vomits up his food while it is still undigested. He has not had a lack of appetite and continues to eat as usual. Today, we took away his food bowl and left him with his water bowl. He also has had a noise from his throat for less than a week, which sounded like a hairball, but when he vomited, no hair came up. The noise has continued after and despite the vomiting. Last, his symptoms also include a feces of an inconsistent manner that is softer and yellower than usual. He is not lethargic and his mood is not affected.

What could be the cause of his symptoms and what treatment would you recommend?

H Mariam! I'm glad you found me!

I'm sorry to hear that Simba is having problems. I am glad to hear that he is eating ok though...this is a good sign that it may not be something serious.

There are unfortunately many possible reasons for cats to vomit. The most common is a change in food or eating something unusual.

It is also possible that Simba has a virus. Some viruses can cause vomiting, loose stool and even upper respiratory congestion (which could be the cause for the noise in the throat). If it is a virus quite often cats will get over it on their own after a few days or a couple of weeks.

As long as Simba has a decent appetite then you likely do not need to rush in to see your vet. However, if his appetite decreases then this is a sign that something more serious is going on. If a cat goes without food for 2 or more days they are at risk for a condition called fatty liver which can be quite serious.

I would advise that you let him have food (in small amounts) and especially do not deprive him of water. If he continues to have the funny noise in his throat then you can try putting him in the bathroom next to a steamy shower to help to loosen up any congestion.

Another possibility is a foreign object in his stomach. But, this should not really cause diarrhea or soft stools.

Unfortunately there are no over the counter medicines that I would consider safe to use for Simba at this time.

I am limited in what I can advise over the internet, but I would definitely say that if his appetite starts to decrease or if the vomiting continues for another couple of days that you seek out care from your vet.

I am very pleased that you heard about me in Woman's World! I had no idea that I was in there. If possible, I would love to know what issue I was in.

Thank you...Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie,

You were in the Jan. 11, 2010 issue of Woman's World magazine on page 34 on the upper left hand corner of the page in the section titled "Get the help you need".

Thank you for your time and advice in regards to Simba.

Mariam Khan
khan.m301@gmail.com

Excellent! Thanks Mariam! I rushed out and bought the latest copy of Woman's World at my supermarket, but it is the Jan 4th edition. I'm looking forward to seeing it next week.

Hope Simba is doing well!

Male dog lost weight when female in heat. My American Bulldog male always loses weight when our female goes into heat because... (25971 views)

Very thirsty dog. My 13 year old spayed female lab is continually drinking water, can't seem to get... (9348 views)

Lump after vaccines. We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he... (34739 views)

Wobbly boxer My 3 year old male boxer has several issues. A couple weeks ago he was lethargic... (19034 views)

Morning after pill for dogs? Is there a "morning after pill" for dogs? ... (29536 views)

Blue lump on dog's belly. Around Christmas, I noticed a blue-tinted bump, about 3 mm in diameter, on my dog's... (25725 views)

Dog bleeding from anus. My dog is slightly bleeding from her anus, but it isn't noticeable until she sits... (31401 views)

Cats not eating. Viral Infection in Throat? I have 3 cats at home (in Singapore, Asia). 1... (12064 views)

Itchy behind neck and ears. My cat, fuzzy, is starting to itch behind her neck, her ear area, base of her tail,... (10293 views)

Dog shedding. Why is our dog shedding so... (10281 views)