Is rescue cat in pain?

Breed: black persian mix
Hello

I took in a stray female cat about 10 days ago. HER behaviour is odd. She attached herself to my screen door and started making a fuss for me to help her, so I brought her in and fed her,and cuddled her. She seemed to like that and began purring, she was happy that I helped her. I later gave her a flee and tick collar and worm medication and lots of good food. The question I want to ask you is why would a stray cat start to growl and hiss if you tryed to pick her up sometimes but not other times?,she would also become vicious, and she would do the same thing if any of my other pets passed by her. She appears to have been abused by someone, or appears to be greatly traumatized by what ever she has been through. It also appears that she may have pain in her stomach and her back end, near her tail. What could I give her for pain? I believe that human medications can be given, but you would need the right one. I can not afford a vet but I would like to help her myself. I am concerned that she may have been scarrded psychologicly and she would need a long time to heal from her trauma. Please tell me how I can help her by telling me what medication I can give her for pain or is there something else I can give her to keep her calm and not so traumatized?.

Thanks for your question.

It is sometimes difficult to take in a stray cat that has not been socialized properly. If she has been a stray for a long time then she likely has not learned how to behave properly with humans and with other pets.

I have seen a number of cats who are extra sensitive when their belly or back end (especially just above the tail) are touched.

Do you know if she is spayed? If not, then the hormones of being in heat can make her grumpy as well.

One possible reason for pain on the back end is fleas. Quite often over the counter flea products do not work well. You may need to see your vet for a prescription flea product if you suspect fleas.

There is no over the counter medication that is safe to give cats for pain.

Regarding your question about keeping her calm, hopefully she will relax more and more each day that you have her. But, there are some cats that never do calm down to the level that we would like.

I hope she starts to act nicer soon!

Maltese has bald spot on head. We have a two year old Maltese that had a small bald spot on her head when we got... (12423 views)

Very sick puppy. Hi there So we bought a puppy from this lady a few days ago. The puppy was fine... (7828 views)

Cat with bump on skin. My 5 year old cat has a small bump on the back of his neck. It moves with the skin... (11171 views)

Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy. Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved... (25950 views)

Cat not getting over URTI. Hi, My cat has suffered from flu from approx 8 mths old but these days never seems... (6827 views)

Do dogs sweat? Zoe, our chow mix, never pants. When our other dogs, after playtime, are laying... (7513 views)

Strong urine odor. Over the past few months my dogs urine has started smelling really strongly, to the... (60567 views)

Cushing's and panting. I saw where you advised a person on dog breathing problems, that is could be... (39607 views)

Lump on dog's anus. Dr Marie-- My dog had a lump on his behind just by his anus. It never seemed to get... (53354 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (9245 views)