Is rescue cat in pain?

Breed: black persian mix
Hello

I took in a stray female cat about 10 days ago. HER behaviour is odd. She attached herself to my screen door and started making a fuss for me to help her, so I brought her in and fed her,and cuddled her. She seemed to like that and began purring, she was happy that I helped her. I later gave her a flee and tick collar and worm medication and lots of good food. The question I want to ask you is why would a stray cat start to growl and hiss if you tryed to pick her up sometimes but not other times?,she would also become vicious, and she would do the same thing if any of my other pets passed by her. She appears to have been abused by someone, or appears to be greatly traumatized by what ever she has been through. It also appears that she may have pain in her stomach and her back end, near her tail. What could I give her for pain? I believe that human medications can be given, but you would need the right one. I can not afford a vet but I would like to help her myself. I am concerned that she may have been scarrded psychologicly and she would need a long time to heal from her trauma. Please tell me how I can help her by telling me what medication I can give her for pain or is there something else I can give her to keep her calm and not so traumatized?.

Thanks for your question.

It is sometimes difficult to take in a stray cat that has not been socialized properly. If she has been a stray for a long time then she likely has not learned how to behave properly with humans and with other pets.

I have seen a number of cats who are extra sensitive when their belly or back end (especially just above the tail) are touched.

Do you know if she is spayed? If not, then the hormones of being in heat can make her grumpy as well.

One possible reason for pain on the back end is fleas. Quite often over the counter flea products do not work well. You may need to see your vet for a prescription flea product if you suspect fleas.

There is no over the counter medication that is safe to give cats for pain.

Regarding your question about keeping her calm, hopefully she will relax more and more each day that you have her. But, there are some cats that never do calm down to the level that we would like.

I hope she starts to act nicer soon!

Swelling on neck. I just noticed that when my dog barks the right side of her neck swells about 1-2... (4459 views)

Beagle has lots of problems. I found my Beagle Lucky as a stray almost a year ago, he is around 4 years old. I... (6293 views)

Swollen feet. hey doctor, i have a weimarner....for the last 1 year he has been continuously... (6530 views)

Double dose Metacam. We accidently gave our dog two doses of metacam. He is 80 pounds. We give him 1.5... (44723 views)

Coughing cat. My cat has had a horrible cough for two or three months and the vet doesn't know... (4232 views)

Diarrhea and increased appetite. We found a cat that we have decided to keep. We have had all his shots, Neutered and... (4685 views)

Dog licking anus after vaccines. The day after a routine vax appt with a new vet, our dog suddenly began licking her... (10290 views)

Can a spayed cat get pregnant? OK its OK if you don't answer but be for you look away please im 12 and my cat is... (20600 views)

When to put down older dog. I know my dog is on the way out, she has cataracts, hearing is dim, legs are shaky,... (5803 views)

Cat not getting over URTI. Hi, My cat has suffered from flu from approx 8 mths old but these days never seems... (6475 views)