Is rescue cat in pain?

Breed: black persian mix
Hello

I took in a stray female cat about 10 days ago. HER behaviour is odd. She attached herself to my screen door and started making a fuss for me to help her, so I brought her in and fed her,and cuddled her. She seemed to like that and began purring, she was happy that I helped her. I later gave her a flee and tick collar and worm medication and lots of good food. The question I want to ask you is why would a stray cat start to growl and hiss if you tryed to pick her up sometimes but not other times?,she would also become vicious, and she would do the same thing if any of my other pets passed by her. She appears to have been abused by someone, or appears to be greatly traumatized by what ever she has been through. It also appears that she may have pain in her stomach and her back end, near her tail. What could I give her for pain? I believe that human medications can be given, but you would need the right one. I can not afford a vet but I would like to help her myself. I am concerned that she may have been scarrded psychologicly and she would need a long time to heal from her trauma. Please tell me how I can help her by telling me what medication I can give her for pain or is there something else I can give her to keep her calm and not so traumatized?.

Thanks for your question.

It is sometimes difficult to take in a stray cat that has not been socialized properly. If she has been a stray for a long time then she likely has not learned how to behave properly with humans and with other pets.

I have seen a number of cats who are extra sensitive when their belly or back end (especially just above the tail) are touched.

Do you know if she is spayed? If not, then the hormones of being in heat can make her grumpy as well.

One possible reason for pain on the back end is fleas. Quite often over the counter flea products do not work well. You may need to see your vet for a prescription flea product if you suspect fleas.

There is no over the counter medication that is safe to give cats for pain.

Regarding your question about keeping her calm, hopefully she will relax more and more each day that you have her. But, there are some cats that never do calm down to the level that we would like.

I hope she starts to act nicer soon!

Losing weight but lab tests normal. My cat is losing weight, vomiting, more vocal than normal, lethargic and hungry all... (10813 views)

Swollen muzzle in cat. Hello, I gave my cat food this morning and when she went to eat it, she made this... (9254 views)

Lip fold pyoderma. I have suddenly noticed that Blue has an area of bright red, raw skin on both sides... (11543 views)

When to do shots? just wanted to know my dog got her parvovirus on 5/01/11 and her leptospirosis on... (7826 views)

Stroke or brain tumor? I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet over the weekend and am glad... (11216 views)

Yorkie with diarrhea. Hello, I have a yorkshire terrier that 1 year old and weighs 5.5 pounds. He is a... (11469 views)

Puppy doesn't want to eat. It has been over a week since my Sheltie has lost her appetite. She hardly touches... (9913 views)

Sheltie leaking urine. We have noticed that my spayed 5 1/2 year female Sheltie has been leaking a little... (14059 views)

Pooping and peeing outside of box. I own two cats and they're both litter box trained but today my oldest cat pooped... (7529 views)

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (22501 views)