Is rescue cat in pain?

Breed: black persian mix
Hello

I took in a stray female cat about 10 days ago. HER behaviour is odd. She attached herself to my screen door and started making a fuss for me to help her, so I brought her in and fed her,and cuddled her. She seemed to like that and began purring, she was happy that I helped her. I later gave her a flee and tick collar and worm medication and lots of good food. The question I want to ask you is why would a stray cat start to growl and hiss if you tryed to pick her up sometimes but not other times?,she would also become vicious, and she would do the same thing if any of my other pets passed by her. She appears to have been abused by someone, or appears to be greatly traumatized by what ever she has been through. It also appears that she may have pain in her stomach and her back end, near her tail. What could I give her for pain? I believe that human medications can be given, but you would need the right one. I can not afford a vet but I would like to help her myself. I am concerned that she may have been scarrded psychologicly and she would need a long time to heal from her trauma. Please tell me how I can help her by telling me what medication I can give her for pain or is there something else I can give her to keep her calm and not so traumatized?.

Thanks for your question.

It is sometimes difficult to take in a stray cat that has not been socialized properly. If she has been a stray for a long time then she likely has not learned how to behave properly with humans and with other pets.

I have seen a number of cats who are extra sensitive when their belly or back end (especially just above the tail) are touched.

Do you know if she is spayed? If not, then the hormones of being in heat can make her grumpy as well.

One possible reason for pain on the back end is fleas. Quite often over the counter flea products do not work well. You may need to see your vet for a prescription flea product if you suspect fleas.

There is no over the counter medication that is safe to give cats for pain.

Regarding your question about keeping her calm, hopefully she will relax more and more each day that you have her. But, there are some cats that never do calm down to the level that we would like.

I hope she starts to act nicer soon!

Swelling on ear. My 2 year old male beagle has a bump on his outer ear flap which resembles the post... (7043 views)

Tramadol online. My 8 year old English mastiff has pain due to hop problems. Her vet has prescribed... (8583 views)

Dog has the runs. my dog has the... (17173 views)

Cat can't move tail or legs. My girlfriend's family saved a cat viciously attacked by dogs in the street in... (27348 views)

Why did 15 year old dog die? Hello, My dog was 15 years old and she just recently died last thursday. My mother... (14805 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (4888 views)

Wobbly after seizure. hello, I have a 4 year old husky mix who is epelectic. Hes on phenobarbital and... (38461 views)

Lump on German Shepherd. This morning while brushing Sako, a 9-year-old GSD, I noted an area where hair is... (14876 views)

Drinking and urinating more. Approx. 6 yrs old or older, part Rodesian Ridgeback, 69 pounds. He was a stray and... (4230 views)

Can't bear weight. This isn't my pet, it is my sister in law's pet. Over the past few months, the dog... (7001 views)