Is rescue cat in pain?

Breed: black persian mix
Hello

I took in a stray female cat about 10 days ago. HER behaviour is odd. She attached herself to my screen door and started making a fuss for me to help her, so I brought her in and fed her,and cuddled her. She seemed to like that and began purring, she was happy that I helped her. I later gave her a flee and tick collar and worm medication and lots of good food. The question I want to ask you is why would a stray cat start to growl and hiss if you tryed to pick her up sometimes but not other times?,she would also become vicious, and she would do the same thing if any of my other pets passed by her. She appears to have been abused by someone, or appears to be greatly traumatized by what ever she has been through. It also appears that she may have pain in her stomach and her back end, near her tail. What could I give her for pain? I believe that human medications can be given, but you would need the right one. I can not afford a vet but I would like to help her myself. I am concerned that she may have been scarrded psychologicly and she would need a long time to heal from her trauma. Please tell me how I can help her by telling me what medication I can give her for pain or is there something else I can give her to keep her calm and not so traumatized?.

Thanks for your question.

It is sometimes difficult to take in a stray cat that has not been socialized properly. If she has been a stray for a long time then she likely has not learned how to behave properly with humans and with other pets.

I have seen a number of cats who are extra sensitive when their belly or back end (especially just above the tail) are touched.

Do you know if she is spayed? If not, then the hormones of being in heat can make her grumpy as well.

One possible reason for pain on the back end is fleas. Quite often over the counter flea products do not work well. You may need to see your vet for a prescription flea product if you suspect fleas.

There is no over the counter medication that is safe to give cats for pain.

Regarding your question about keeping her calm, hopefully she will relax more and more each day that you have her. But, there are some cats that never do calm down to the level that we would like.

I hope she starts to act nicer soon!

Tapeworms in cat. I've been using drontal deworming xl tablets to treat my cat with tapeworms also... (7177 views)

Lethargic kitten after spay. My kitten is around five minths old. She was spayed on July 23rd ish. Since her... (15077 views)

Bloddy vaginal discharge in a cat. My cat is bleeding from her vagina, she is not spayed and we don't believe she is... (8100 views)

Rimadyl and liver problems. Hi Dr. Marie Last night my dog sustained some type of injury to himself while... (8439 views)

Old dog vomiting. My dog has been throwing up food that she eats except soft stuff, she is old and she... (16043 views)

Suddenly jumps up. I have a dauschund and sheltie mix dog. He's about 3 years old. I've had him for 2... (65463 views)

Dental problems and weight loss. i think she has a bad tooth,lost of weight,not eating her regular food,gave her rice... (16551 views)

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (17886 views)

Pregnant if bred when bleeding? I have a golden retriever that's about to be 3years old. She recently mated with... (75912 views)

Possible chyletiella. My eleven week old pup is cover from nose to tail in what looks like white dandruff.... (5736 views)