Alternative to fluid pills.

Breed: Chiuahuah mix
What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?

Sorry to hear that your dog is having fluid problems.

If your dog has fluid in the chest then the most common reason for this is heart disease. Your vet can determine if this is the cause. If there is fluid in the chest because of heart disease then most dogs do need a diuretic such as furosemide (lasix). Your vet will likely also prescribe a medication to help strengthen the heart.

If there is fluid in the abdomen then the treatment depends on the cause. While fluid pills can help reduce the fluid, there will be more produced until the cause is found. Unfortunately, most causes of fluid in the abdomen (or chest for that matter) are quite serious.

Maggots in guinea pig cage. Dr. Marie, I found maggots in my guinea pig cage today. what should I do? They seem... (20139 views)

Prognosis with hemangiosarcoma. i have a dog whose a 7 year old German shepherdand although he has been diagnosed... (12261 views)

Is hamster hibernating or dead? My hamster is limp cold and her eyes are slightly open and she is lying on her... (53498 views)

Normal to cry when put to sleep? Two weeks ago I put my 18 and three quarter year old dog Bertie to sleep. He would... (18788 views)

Gentamycin and deafness? Hope you can help with my question. I have a 11 year old cat named Emma, that has... (5421 views)

Does Pet Calm Work? Dr. Marie My Bobbie has serious trembling normally during the evning and night.... (13609 views)

Older cat with problems. Hi there. I really hope that you can answer my question. My cat Derek is obviously... (52512 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in puppy. Lady is almost 5 months now, she's a typical Aussie puppy. She lives with me, my... (7311 views)

Tylosin responsive diarrhea. In another posting on this site you mention giving tylosin daily in "tiny amounts"... (7499 views)

Cancer in lungs? Josie has had a persistent cough for over a year, so I took her to my vet for a... (5605 views)