Alternative to fluid pills.

Breed: Chiuahuah mix
What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?

Sorry to hear that your dog is having fluid problems.

If your dog has fluid in the chest then the most common reason for this is heart disease. Your vet can determine if this is the cause. If there is fluid in the chest because of heart disease then most dogs do need a diuretic such as furosemide (lasix). Your vet will likely also prescribe a medication to help strengthen the heart.

If there is fluid in the abdomen then the treatment depends on the cause. While fluid pills can help reduce the fluid, there will be more produced until the cause is found. Unfortunately, most causes of fluid in the abdomen (or chest for that matter) are quite serious.

19 year old cat died. My 19 yo childhood cat died this morning and my parents, who aren't the sort of... (7902 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, I got Winston when he was just 5 weeks old and he's just a little over 4... (7906 views)

Cats not eating. Viral Infection in Throat? I have 3 cats at home (in Singapore, Asia). 1... (10634 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog has a hard time standing up from the sitting position. Occasionally, he will... (11312 views)

Expensive fecal exam. Hello Dr. Marie, My question is about a vet bill that I got yesterday and I... (38230 views)

Do cats get pink eye? My cat had a "pink eye" this weekend while I was away, according to the pet sitter. ... (4850 views)

Cat is really hungry. Maya has feline asthma and has been on inhaled corticosteroids for a year... (15649 views)

Panting and shaking cat. Hi, My female cat is just over 15 years old. This morning she woke up... (15391 views)

Penis comes out when poops. Our 13 weekd old sprocker spaniel's penis is popping out when he poos. This only... (22629 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (15242 views)