Alternative to fluid pills.

Breed: Chiuahuah mix
What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?

Sorry to hear that your dog is having fluid problems.

If your dog has fluid in the chest then the most common reason for this is heart disease. Your vet can determine if this is the cause. If there is fluid in the chest because of heart disease then most dogs do need a diuretic such as furosemide (lasix). Your vet will likely also prescribe a medication to help strengthen the heart.

If there is fluid in the abdomen then the treatment depends on the cause. While fluid pills can help reduce the fluid, there will be more produced until the cause is found. Unfortunately, most causes of fluid in the abdomen (or chest for that matter) are quite serious.

Is Frontline working for fleas? I live in Iowa and rescued a black Pug from a family in July. The previous owner... (19320 views)

Aggressive cat My cat is having some behavioral issues. When I got her as a kitten she always came... (10189 views)

Did Orbax cause diarrhea? Hi Dr Marie, it's me again regarding Bandit, my 4 yr old DSH. I had e-mailed you... (10673 views)

Kitten nursing on my neck. why does my 8 to 10 month old kitty keep trying to suckle at my neck. He will not... (18040 views)

Cat with bald belly. Our cat (6 years old) has bitten off the hair on her stomach. Our vet (in Latvia)... (13727 views)

Pig ears and diarrhea. Hi, My dog gets occasional diarrhea, like twice a week maybe, I had to take her... (15042 views)

Kennel Cough. Hello I am only 16 and my parents do not believe me on my concern for my dog. I do... (6716 views)

Eating grass and vomiting. Bleu has always been a resilient dog with now health problems, but over the last... (20033 views)

Enlarged lymph nodes on chemo. My furry child was recently diagnosed Lymphoma, cells suggestive of T-cell. I do... (14040 views)

Dried blood in ferret's ears. My ferret has dry blood in it's ears what does that... (15600 views)