Alternative to fluid pills.

Breed: Chiuahuah mix
What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?

Sorry to hear that your dog is having fluid problems.

If your dog has fluid in the chest then the most common reason for this is heart disease. Your vet can determine if this is the cause. If there is fluid in the chest because of heart disease then most dogs do need a diuretic such as furosemide (lasix). Your vet will likely also prescribe a medication to help strengthen the heart.

If there is fluid in the abdomen then the treatment depends on the cause. While fluid pills can help reduce the fluid, there will be more produced until the cause is found. Unfortunately, most causes of fluid in the abdomen (or chest for that matter) are quite serious.

Laser pointers for cats and dogs? Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or... (11982 views)

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (7359 views)

Not nursing, diarrhea. We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older... (4830 views)

My kitten died. Hi Dr Marie, We came home on Sunday after a night away (less than 24 hours) to... (11511 views)

Diethylene glycol in chicken jerky. Do you know of any of the Chicken Jerky do treats that are made in China, has been... (4972 views)

Treatment for kidney disease. My cat has recently been hospitalized for kidney failure. They have her on fluids... (4581 views)

Parvo recovery. I'M LOOKING AT A PUP THAT IS RECOVERING FROM PARVO. WHAT IS THE RECOVERY TIME AND... (23444 views)

Bump on eye. Dear Dr. Marie, I am writing about my 3-year-old Australian Cattle Dog, Bruce.... (12050 views)

Relapse of parvo? We recently bought a lab pup that turned up with parvo a few days after bringing it... (19785 views)

Albendazole for puppy? Long story short my little over 3 month old puppy has Giardia. Sidenote: she goes... (8731 views)