Alternative to fluid pills.

Breed: Chiuahuah mix
What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?

Sorry to hear that your dog is having fluid problems.

If your dog has fluid in the chest then the most common reason for this is heart disease. Your vet can determine if this is the cause. If there is fluid in the chest because of heart disease then most dogs do need a diuretic such as furosemide (lasix). Your vet will likely also prescribe a medication to help strengthen the heart.

If there is fluid in the abdomen then the treatment depends on the cause. While fluid pills can help reduce the fluid, there will be more produced until the cause is found. Unfortunately, most causes of fluid in the abdomen (or chest for that matter) are quite serious.

Older dog won't eat. My dog has been losing her appetite for about 2 months. She would no longer eat her... (12646 views)

Cat pulling hair out of stomach. Dark has been pulling the hair out of his stomach for over a year. He now has a... (10021 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello Dr. Marie, I am grieving today as I had my 12 year old cat put down yesterday... (9978 views)

Dog pees when someone pets him. Cooper is 5 months old and neutered. He pees when anyone pets him, talks to him or... (5177 views)

dog with bumps on head My dog has 2-3 little lumps on her head, She is smooothe coated, You can feel them... (26453 views)

Phenobarb shortage? my vet just informed me the phenobarbital my dog take is going up 600% in price...is... (13602 views)

Something in throat? Husband won't let me take cat to vet..childrens pet. Cat stopped eating a few days... (31843 views)

Cushings and cataracts. Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet... (12851 views)

Dog ate grapes. Last night at 9PM I took my dog out for a walk. We were in our town and someone had... (39941 views)

Fever and dizziness in older dog. Dear Dr. Marie, Kodi is a 15 years old Labrador, he is very active and love to... (4970 views)