What kind of food?

Breed: Aussie
I need a food recommendation for our two Aussies (one mini 5 yr old male at 32lbs and a toy 1 yr old female)at about 12 lbs)Both are fixed. We currently are feeding them Dick Vans Natural Balance (Sweet potato and fish) but it has gotten too expensive as my husband is out of work. No known allergies or food issues. Can you suggest a middle-of-the-road food for them? It is hard to know from the packaging what is best for the dogs. Their current food does not have grains in it so please comment if you think that is of great importance.
Thanks so much!
KK

It is often really difficult to know whether a food is a good one or not! You'll read all sorts of stuff online about things like the protein content, whether or not it is grain free, whether there is corn, etc. etc. etc.

Personally I find it extremely hard to read a food label and decide whether or not a food is a good one. What I go by is this,

"In dogs that are fed this food, do they have a nice coat and do they produce regular, solid stools?"

There are three foods that I commonly recommend, in no particular order: Royal Canin, Science Diet and Iams. I find that most dogs on these foods do really well.

I pay no attention to ingredients or protein levels as no one really knows what is optimal. There is no benefit to feeding a sweet potato and fish diet. This was likely created for dogs who have food allergies. If a dog has a food allergy then we need to find a novel protein source (i.e fish) and sometimes a novel carbohydrate source (i.e. sweet potato). But fish and sweet potato themselves are no better than other foods, so there's no point spending extra money on them!

I hope this helps!

What foods to give cats? Yesterday I adopted two male cats. I am unsure what to feed them. Their foster mum... (9934 views)

Are tomatoes bad for dogs? I have a question about dogs and tomatoes. I accidentally fed my dog a few(maybe... (556171 views)

Should surgery be done? I have a female labrador, who is six year old and was nutered when she was 1 year... (7891 views)

Possible distemper or kennel cough. I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for... (11704 views)

Dog peeing on furniture Skyler is 2 years old and is house broken but sometimes he will come back inside and... (11309 views)

Time to put dog to sleep? My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost... (8956 views)

Ringworm treatment in cat. First, thank you for your previous help with my questions. I have 2 issues with... (20753 views)

Sneezing cat. My cat keeps sneezing and sometimes has watery eyes. It started today and. I googled... (22529 views)

Sore leg in a cat. I recently moved from a ranch house to townhouse(steps) in another city. Winston is... (34473 views)

Frontline Plus and Advantage Multi? Can I give my dog Advantage Multi plus the Frontline Plus. I know the Advantage... (21297 views)