What kind of food?

Breed: Aussie
I need a food recommendation for our two Aussies (one mini 5 yr old male at 32lbs and a toy 1 yr old female)at about 12 lbs)Both are fixed. We currently are feeding them Dick Vans Natural Balance (Sweet potato and fish) but it has gotten too expensive as my husband is out of work. No known allergies or food issues. Can you suggest a middle-of-the-road food for them? It is hard to know from the packaging what is best for the dogs. Their current food does not have grains in it so please comment if you think that is of great importance.
Thanks so much!
KK

It is often really difficult to know whether a food is a good one or not! You'll read all sorts of stuff online about things like the protein content, whether or not it is grain free, whether there is corn, etc. etc. etc.

Personally I find it extremely hard to read a food label and decide whether or not a food is a good one. What I go by is this,

"In dogs that are fed this food, do they have a nice coat and do they produce regular, solid stools?"

There are three foods that I commonly recommend, in no particular order: Royal Canin, Science Diet and Iams. I find that most dogs on these foods do really well.

I pay no attention to ingredients or protein levels as no one really knows what is optimal. There is no benefit to feeding a sweet potato and fish diet. This was likely created for dogs who have food allergies. If a dog has a food allergy then we need to find a novel protein source (i.e fish) and sometimes a novel carbohydrate source (i.e. sweet potato). But fish and sweet potato themselves are no better than other foods, so there's no point spending extra money on them!

I hope this helps!

14 year old dog with diarrhea and weight loss I have 14 year old pomeranian. for the past 1 month, he is suffering from diarrhoea,... (17759 views)

When to separate pups? Hello, My pet has just given babies and i need to give those babies for... (7591 views)

The euthanasia procedure. I had to euthanize my 18.5 year old cat Quincy on Monday. He suffered from CRF and... (13362 views)

Eye out of socket. MY PUPPY JUST GOT BIT BY A LARGE DOG IN THE LEFT EYE. THE EYE LOOKS LIKE ITS OUT OF... (10640 views)

Shaking and tucking tail. 3 days ago my dog, who was being taken on a walk in the morning, suddenly started... (187638 views)

Dog ate foam padding. Hi Dr, At 9pm last nite Max chewed open an office chair. He managed to swallow... (102127 views)

Best cat foods. One cat is 13 pounds and 7 years old. He is heavy, but it doesn't look or feel like... (5150 views)

Chinese Crested with diarrhea This is breed that loses their teeth (starting at an early age) as they age.... (10078 views)

Horrible euthanasia. Lucy has had steroid injections for the last 18 months due to loss of fur and skin... (5625 views)

Dog eating dirt. My dog consumes grass and now wants to eat dirt when outside exercising despite a... (16993 views)