What kind of food?

Breed: Aussie
I need a food recommendation for our two Aussies (one mini 5 yr old male at 32lbs and a toy 1 yr old female)at about 12 lbs)Both are fixed. We currently are feeding them Dick Vans Natural Balance (Sweet potato and fish) but it has gotten too expensive as my husband is out of work. No known allergies or food issues. Can you suggest a middle-of-the-road food for them? It is hard to know from the packaging what is best for the dogs. Their current food does not have grains in it so please comment if you think that is of great importance.
Thanks so much!
KK

It is often really difficult to know whether a food is a good one or not! You'll read all sorts of stuff online about things like the protein content, whether or not it is grain free, whether there is corn, etc. etc. etc.

Personally I find it extremely hard to read a food label and decide whether or not a food is a good one. What I go by is this,

"In dogs that are fed this food, do they have a nice coat and do they produce regular, solid stools?"

There are three foods that I commonly recommend, in no particular order: Royal Canin, Science Diet and Iams. I find that most dogs on these foods do really well.

I pay no attention to ingredients or protein levels as no one really knows what is optimal. There is no benefit to feeding a sweet potato and fish diet. This was likely created for dogs who have food allergies. If a dog has a food allergy then we need to find a novel protein source (i.e fish) and sometimes a novel carbohydrate source (i.e. sweet potato). But fish and sweet potato themselves are no better than other foods, so there's no point spending extra money on them!

I hope this helps!

Accidently cut dog's skin i was giving my dog a hair cut with a small pair of sissors and was trimming around... (20399 views)

Dripping blood. My 13 year old female, spayed,Doberman is in good health (with lots of benign... (28706 views)

Dog eating dirt. My dog consumes grass and now wants to eat dirt when outside exercising despite a... (17102 views)

Exercise induced collapse. I have a labrador retriever and she is about 4 years old, 60 lbs and she is a girl.... (6764 views)

Natural treatment for lymphoma? my dog was just diagnosed with lymphoma cancer. hes on prednisone. cant afford... (8593 views)

Small pink lump on back. My dog has had a small light pink lump on his back for a little while now. I have... (11725 views)

Cat flung himself around. Hello about 2 weeks ago my 12 year old cat was sleeping soundly when he woke up... (6464 views)

Swollen hip. I am so worried about my dog Holly. I think she may have hip dysplasia. Her hip is... (10538 views)

Crusty ears on a cat. My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of... (24289 views)

What does rat poison look like? I live in a town right outside of Boston, MA. We recently got a lot of snow, so they... (19458 views)