Bumps on schnauzer.

Breed: Schnauzer
Firstly, I'd like to thank you for this very valuable, yet inexpensive resource.
My question: My Schnauzer (6 years old) developed bumps along her spine at the beginning of summer. They seem fairly innocuous, although they seem to cause some itching especially in the evening. The morphology is they start out as small white bumps about 1-2 mm in diameter. As they grow (about 1 mm in height) they turn red, then develop a hard yellow top. If left alone the yellow blob will crust onto the hair (BTW, no hair loss around bumps) and the now dry, slightly bloody bump, with a crater like shape where the yellow blob was, will scab over and heal. This whole process taking about 2-3 weeks.
I'm currently treating with witch hazel which seems to soften the hard yellow blob into a syrupy consistency detaching it from the bump and thus speeding up the healing process.
I've attached 2 pictures, the first is the crater shaped bump after the yellow blob has detached, thus will scab over in a day. The second picture is the yellow blob entangled in the hair. Normally it would be a hard yellow blob, however, I used some witch hazel to help with the picture, thus the syrupy looking state.
My guess is this is just a unusual case of Schnauzer back, but what do I know ;-)

Thank you,
Jonathan

Thanks for including these photos of the bumps on your schnauzer:

bump on schnauzer

bumps on schnauzer

There are a few things that this could be. I won't be able to give you a diagnosis over the internet but I can give you my thoughts.

What you are describing sounds very typical of a bacterial skin infection. These are really common. A bacterial skin infection often will have pustules which will then crust over.

If this is a skin infection then your dog will need antibiotics either given orally or by injection. You'll need to see a vet to get a prescription for this.

Schnauzers are known for getting odd skin bumps called comedones. However, these do not look like comedones. Comedones are usually black nodules and not the color that you have described.

I have also seen dogs with warts that look like this but they don't usually go away and crust over. It really looks like there is a good chance there is a bacterial skin infection.

Hope things clear up soon!

Has my cat been poisoned? I think my cat has been poisoned. We found him very unlike himself, just sitting a... (4855 views)

Cancer in lungs? Josie has had a persistent cough for over a year, so I took her to my vet for a... (2721 views)

Betadine on spay incision? My dog was spayed 3 days ago and I'm worried about the incision becoming infected.... (7094 views)

13 year old cat losing weight. I have a 13 yr old male cat that has gradually started to lose weight. He has had... (6508 views)

Dog snaps when head touched. Dear Dr. Marie, Our 7 year old bichon frise has started new concerning behavior.... (4246 views)

Sick, limping puppy. Good Evening I know my puppy needs to go to the vet however the vet will not be... (6179 views)

Cat with sore penis. I have a neutered male cat 5 years old. 4 months ago he was really sick, we took him... (13152 views)

Low fat foods and tripe for pancreatitis. My 3 yr old Golden who was on Orijen for 2 years had a pancreatitis attack about 6... (17264 views)

Should dog have a liver biopsy? My dog, Zora, was adopted from a rescue group in CA so we don't know much about her... (7137 views)

Hungry and losing weight. Our 17 year old indoor cat, one of two from the same litter, has always been skinny,... (6804 views)