Bumps on schnauzer.

Breed: Schnauzer
Firstly, I'd like to thank you for this very valuable, yet inexpensive resource.
My question: My Schnauzer (6 years old) developed bumps along her spine at the beginning of summer. They seem fairly innocuous, although they seem to cause some itching especially in the evening. The morphology is they start out as small white bumps about 1-2 mm in diameter. As they grow (about 1 mm in height) they turn red, then develop a hard yellow top. If left alone the yellow blob will crust onto the hair (BTW, no hair loss around bumps) and the now dry, slightly bloody bump, with a crater like shape where the yellow blob was, will scab over and heal. This whole process taking about 2-3 weeks.
I'm currently treating with witch hazel which seems to soften the hard yellow blob into a syrupy consistency detaching it from the bump and thus speeding up the healing process.
I've attached 2 pictures, the first is the crater shaped bump after the yellow blob has detached, thus will scab over in a day. The second picture is the yellow blob entangled in the hair. Normally it would be a hard yellow blob, however, I used some witch hazel to help with the picture, thus the syrupy looking state.
My guess is this is just a unusual case of Schnauzer back, but what do I know ;-)

Thank you,
Jonathan

Thanks for including these photos of the bumps on your schnauzer:

bump on schnauzer

bumps on schnauzer

There are a few things that this could be. I won't be able to give you a diagnosis over the internet but I can give you my thoughts.

What you are describing sounds very typical of a bacterial skin infection. These are really common. A bacterial skin infection often will have pustules which will then crust over.

If this is a skin infection then your dog will need antibiotics either given orally or by injection. You'll need to see a vet to get a prescription for this.

Schnauzers are known for getting odd skin bumps called comedones. However, these do not look like comedones. Comedones are usually black nodules and not the color that you have described.

I have also seen dogs with warts that look like this but they don't usually go away and crust over. It really looks like there is a good chance there is a bacterial skin infection.

Hope things clear up soon!

Abscess on dog's neck. We have been keeping an eye on a hard lump on my boxers upper neck, by ear. It... (21392 views)

Pea sized lump. Hi Dr. This morning I noticed a pea-sized lump on one of Max's ribs on the left... (47695 views)

Euthanize aggressive dog? I adopted my dog Nubby a year ago from a local shelter. A few months after I adopted... (23721 views)

Cat hardly eating. my cat has recemtly been in the catery. since returning she has hardly eaten and is... (8476 views)

Mycoplasma in rats. Hi, my name is Ann and I have two rats, Pinky and Roc. Unfortunately, one has... (7639 views)

Vomiting bile. My dog has been throwing up all day, and all though the night. The throw up is... (36948 views)

Cat is really hungry. Maya has feline asthma and has been on inhaled corticosteroids for a year... (12678 views)

Kitten strangled himself. My kitten just strangled himself and his tounge was blue,hanging out, limp,not... (9488 views)

Quiet, sneezing dog. My Choc Lab is acting very listless, sneezing constantly, her nose is cold, is still... (17360 views)

Sore tail. Yesterday I noticed my cat acting strange. She has been walking with her tail very... (5117 views)