Carrots and nuts safe for dogs?

Breed: Boston Terrier
Is it safe to feed her carrots or nuts of any kind? We have just been feeding them to since the holidays and she seems to have a bit of a constipation problem. We have noticed just a slight hint of pink on her when we wipe her after her bowel movements to make sure she is clean before we let her in the house.
She has also had a few potato chips. What is safe to feed her while we eat. She is a begger.

Hi Robert...thanks so much for your question!

My general rule of thumb for table food for dogs is to not allow the treats to be more than 10% of the dog's calorie intake and to stick to low calorie foods such as fruits and vegetables when possible.

Carrots are definitely safe to give. I would be very careful about how many nuts she gets though. Nuts are loaded in fat and a dog of Gracie's size would not need to eat very many nuts each day to gain weight. (I have seen far too many overweight Bostons!) Most nuts are generally safe to give. However, avoid macadamia nuts as these can actually be toxic to dogs.

Again, potato chips are something that should be a very rare treat and in extremely small amounts unless you want a blimpy boston!

Other foods that are potentially toxic to dogs are onions, garlic, grapes, raisins and chocolate. I also recommend no bones are given at all.

None of the foods you mentioned should cause Gracie to be constipated. I am wondering if you are seeing blood in her anal area because she has some inflammation in her colon? Dogs can often get colitis simply from eating something they are not used to. When the colon is inflamed it can bleed very easily. It is usually nothing to worry about. Often when dogs have colitis we think they are constipated because they are straining...but really they are straining because of cramping and intestinal pain.

If she does have colitis often a 24 hour period of no food followed by small meals of chicken and rice does the trick.

Is she bothering with her anal area at all? Another possible reason for blood in this area is an anal sac infection. Usually when dogs have this they will be quite irritated and bothering with their anal area. If you think this is the case, then a vet visit is a good idea.

I hope this info helps! Have fun with your new pup!

Related question: Are tomatoes bad for dogs?

Joint pain in a dog. Hello my dog Menew, is a Akita/husky he is 15 years old and has arthrities, some... (14377 views)

Male cat has large breasts. Recently (2-3 weeks), my 8 year old male tabby cat has, what seem to be, slightly... (18923 views)

Bald patches on cats. I have twin cats, brother and sister. They are indoor cats and both overweight. They... (7016 views)

PPA safety for dogs. Hi, Dr. Marie: I am writing a follow-up question from a few weeks ago regarding... (13465 views)

Wheatgrass for cats? Dear Dr. Marie, I have a question for Fei Meow again. As Fei Meow is very happy... (22146 views)

Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy. Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved... (25703 views)

Vomiting bile. My dog has been throwing up all day, and all though the night. The throw up is... (40793 views)

Possible brain tumor. We would like your opinion on whether we were right in putting Barney to... (18797 views)

Dasuquin causing allergies. About 5 months ago, my dog injured his leg during a walk. I took him to the vet &... (11323 views)

Stuffed up dog. We are a foster home/rescue home for dogs. We brought in a new foster two weeks ago... (59602 views)