Carrots and nuts safe for dogs?

Breed: Boston Terrier
Is it safe to feed her carrots or nuts of any kind? We have just been feeding them to since the holidays and she seems to have a bit of a constipation problem. We have noticed just a slight hint of pink on her when we wipe her after her bowel movements to make sure she is clean before we let her in the house.
She has also had a few potato chips. What is safe to feed her while we eat. She is a begger.

Hi Robert...thanks so much for your question!

My general rule of thumb for table food for dogs is to not allow the treats to be more than 10% of the dog's calorie intake and to stick to low calorie foods such as fruits and vegetables when possible.

Carrots are definitely safe to give. I would be very careful about how many nuts she gets though. Nuts are loaded in fat and a dog of Gracie's size would not need to eat very many nuts each day to gain weight. (I have seen far too many overweight Bostons!) Most nuts are generally safe to give. However, avoid macadamia nuts as these can actually be toxic to dogs.

Again, potato chips are something that should be a very rare treat and in extremely small amounts unless you want a blimpy boston!

Other foods that are potentially toxic to dogs are onions, garlic, grapes, raisins and chocolate. I also recommend no bones are given at all.

None of the foods you mentioned should cause Gracie to be constipated. I am wondering if you are seeing blood in her anal area because she has some inflammation in her colon? Dogs can often get colitis simply from eating something they are not used to. When the colon is inflamed it can bleed very easily. It is usually nothing to worry about. Often when dogs have colitis we think they are constipated because they are straining...but really they are straining because of cramping and intestinal pain.

If she does have colitis often a 24 hour period of no food followed by small meals of chicken and rice does the trick.

Is she bothering with her anal area at all? Another possible reason for blood in this area is an anal sac infection. Usually when dogs have this they will be quite irritated and bothering with their anal area. If you think this is the case, then a vet visit is a good idea.

I hope this info helps! Have fun with your new pup!

Related question: Are tomatoes bad for dogs?

Dog can't poop. okay hi how r u doing? my little dog she is a puppy she is 8 months she cant booboo... (17344 views)

Help cats to get along. Hello my name is kristbjorg and im from iceland. I have a cat thats 8 months old... (10734 views)

Vomiting Dog My dog isn't eating, and when she drinks water, she throws it up. Her stomach seems... (12642 views)

Fishy smell from dog. My boston terrier puts off a fishy smell. It doesn't happen all the time, but... (35124 views)

Pit bull puppy is sick. My dog was outside and I was callig her, bit she didn't come I went to look for her... (10422 views)

Did my dog mate? hello my female dog was on her 2nd heat around 2months ago she got out my garden... (10490 views)

Frontline and capstar but still has fleas. My cat has fleas. We have treated him with capstar and frontline, given him a flea... (23124 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My dog has been excessively sneezing for over a year now. She has had no respiratory... (23662 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello, I have been grieving because a few days ago I had my cat euthanized. I am... (37244 views)

Cat with renal lymphoma. I have a 7 year old female cat who, over the course of the past six months,... (11844 views)