Carrots and nuts safe for dogs?

Breed: Boston Terrier
Is it safe to feed her carrots or nuts of any kind? We have just been feeding them to since the holidays and she seems to have a bit of a constipation problem. We have noticed just a slight hint of pink on her when we wipe her after her bowel movements to make sure she is clean before we let her in the house.
She has also had a few potato chips. What is safe to feed her while we eat. She is a begger.

Hi Robert...thanks so much for your question!

My general rule of thumb for table food for dogs is to not allow the treats to be more than 10% of the dog's calorie intake and to stick to low calorie foods such as fruits and vegetables when possible.

Carrots are definitely safe to give. I would be very careful about how many nuts she gets though. Nuts are loaded in fat and a dog of Gracie's size would not need to eat very many nuts each day to gain weight. (I have seen far too many overweight Bostons!) Most nuts are generally safe to give. However, avoid macadamia nuts as these can actually be toxic to dogs.

Again, potato chips are something that should be a very rare treat and in extremely small amounts unless you want a blimpy boston!

Other foods that are potentially toxic to dogs are onions, garlic, grapes, raisins and chocolate. I also recommend no bones are given at all.

None of the foods you mentioned should cause Gracie to be constipated. I am wondering if you are seeing blood in her anal area because she has some inflammation in her colon? Dogs can often get colitis simply from eating something they are not used to. When the colon is inflamed it can bleed very easily. It is usually nothing to worry about. Often when dogs have colitis we think they are constipated because they are straining...but really they are straining because of cramping and intestinal pain.

If she does have colitis often a 24 hour period of no food followed by small meals of chicken and rice does the trick.

Is she bothering with her anal area at all? Another possible reason for blood in this area is an anal sac infection. Usually when dogs have this they will be quite irritated and bothering with their anal area. If you think this is the case, then a vet visit is a good idea.

I hope this info helps! Have fun with your new pup!

Related question: Are tomatoes bad for dogs?

Allergic reaction and diarrhea. Dr, My 3 1/2 year old basset hound is having multiple issues that in my best... (10235 views)

Dog coughing. We let our dog do her business in the backyard. However, we are currently in the... (48315 views)

Lack of bladder control. I HAVE A FEMALE COCKER SPANIEL WHO IS THE OFF SPRING OF MY OWN MALE AND FEMALE WHO... (15320 views)

Blood in urine after bladder surgery Hello again Dr. Marie. My dog had bladder surgery on Monday. To make a long story... (19810 views)

Trouble walking. On Wednesday evening we called our dogs for dinnertime, and our 10 year old Alaskan... (17330 views)

Red bugs on my dog. my dog has red bugs on him i have no idea what to do PLZ ANSWER THIS I LOVE MY DOG I... (14260 views)

Small dog ate large dog Trifexis. I gave my 3 dogs trifexis yesterday. My larger dog take the dose for 40.1 to 60... (22573 views)

Still paralyzed after back surgery. We need help and guidance please! We have an active family, 3 boys (13,9,8) and one... (32333 views)

Rectovaginal fistula. We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was... (10635 views)

PPA safety for dogs. Hi, Dr. Marie: I am writing a follow-up question from a few weeks ago regarding... (13662 views)