Lump on dog's chin.

Breed: Dachshund
My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it be something else? If so what? I have a photo that I can send if that would help? Should I take him right away to see his vet or is there something I can try to help clear it up if it is a blood blister and what might have caused it? I have emailed a photo of the bump as well? Thank you in advance for your help in this matter.

Thank you for sending me this photo of the bump on your dog's chin:

bump on dog's chin

I would imagine that this was a hard photo to get. :)

I won't be able to say for certain what this bump is but I can give you a few ideas. In a young dog, often a smooth pink lump like this can be something called a histiocytoma. A histiocytoma is nothing to worry about and goes away on its own within a few weeks or months.

However, something that can look similar to a histiocytoma is a mast cell tumor. Some mast cell tumors are nothing to worry about, but others can be quite serious.

The only way to know the difference between a histiocytoma and a mast cell tumor is to have your vet put a small needle into it and draw some cells out to have a look at under the microscope. It's not a painful test at all.

There are other possibilities. I have seen some scrapes and small wounds that look like this. However, my best guess is that this will end up being a histiocytoma.

It's not something that you need to rush to the vet for right away but it's not a bad idea to have it checked out in the next week just to be sure.

Hello Dr. Marie,
Thank you for answering my question and I will get see about getting it checked by his vet. Thank you for the information of what it might be.

Vivian

Hello Dr. Marie,
Just wanted to let you know that I took Snickers to the vet on Friday and had a needle biopsy done on the lump and it is indeed a Histiocytoma and there weren't any cancer cells detected. Thank you again for your adivice.

Vivian and Snickers

Fantastic. Thank you for letting me know!

Can't close mouth. Hi! My cat is 21 years old. Just recently its like his lower jaw has shifted to the... (11759 views)

Vomiting due to virus? Hello Dr.Marie. Okay so my 14 year old cat smokey has been going threw some... (17609 views)

Why did my cat die? my 10-year-old cat died today, she had lost weight had yesterday something happened... (12148 views)

Brown bugs on my dog. I got a new dog, a crossbreed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua, and I discovered... (9660 views)

Dime sized sore above eye. Turbo has a dime size sore just above his left eye. Ive tried washing with peroxide... (17863 views)

Dog died after injections. Our 12 yo 12 lb healthy mini dachsund fell off our bed in the middle of the night.... (6025 views)

Can cats transmit viruses to people hello.. i wanted to ask that my kitten is not vaccinated and she bites and scratches... (7066 views)

Recovery from FCE. Our dog was diagnosed with FCE about two months ago, I have been noticing some... (10302 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog has a hard time standing up from the sitting position. Occasionally, he will... (12248 views)

Vacuolar hepatopathy. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's elevated bile acid... (20409 views)