Lump on dog's chin.

Breed: Dachshund
My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it be something else? If so what? I have a photo that I can send if that would help? Should I take him right away to see his vet or is there something I can try to help clear it up if it is a blood blister and what might have caused it? I have emailed a photo of the bump as well? Thank you in advance for your help in this matter.

Thank you for sending me this photo of the bump on your dog's chin:

bump on dog's chin

I would imagine that this was a hard photo to get. :)

I won't be able to say for certain what this bump is but I can give you a few ideas. In a young dog, often a smooth pink lump like this can be something called a histiocytoma. A histiocytoma is nothing to worry about and goes away on its own within a few weeks or months.

However, something that can look similar to a histiocytoma is a mast cell tumor. Some mast cell tumors are nothing to worry about, but others can be quite serious.

The only way to know the difference between a histiocytoma and a mast cell tumor is to have your vet put a small needle into it and draw some cells out to have a look at under the microscope. It's not a painful test at all.

There are other possibilities. I have seen some scrapes and small wounds that look like this. However, my best guess is that this will end up being a histiocytoma.

It's not something that you need to rush to the vet for right away but it's not a bad idea to have it checked out in the next week just to be sure.

Hello Dr. Marie,
Thank you for answering my question and I will get see about getting it checked by his vet. Thank you for the information of what it might be.

Vivian

Hello Dr. Marie,
Just wanted to let you know that I took Snickers to the vet on Friday and had a needle biopsy done on the lump and it is indeed a Histiocytoma and there weren't any cancer cells detected. Thank you again for your adivice.

Vivian and Snickers

Fantastic. Thank you for letting me know!

Cat won't eat or drink. Licorice doesn't want to eat much or drink. He is lethargic, but his gums are pink... (22214 views)

Anal gland problems. Hello. I am a veterinary assistant and I am having an issue with my Cane Corso's... (8013 views)

Dog looks depressed. Hello, Dr. My dog is pretty active but he usually looks "depressed" out of the... (8709 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and worried about my two cats. I know how to avoid... (5038 views)

Peeing in house. I have a 10 year old female cat that has never consistently used the litter box in... (5677 views)

Does pet store flea medicine work? My dog just got fleas. I've given her multiple flea baths, flea collar, and flea... (11808 views)

Cat meows constantly. Hello- Our 8 year old male cat meows constantly, and he does things like dribble... (10309 views)

Gradual change of food? Hello, I reside in South Korea and I am the father of 3 cocker spaniels. Recently... (8763 views)

Give half pill of Iverhart? I purchased Iverhart Plus heartworm pills for dogs up to 25 pounds. Since my two... (10615 views)

My cat's eye is foggy. Hello, My cat Paisley is 10 months old and her eye is foggy, her ears and nose are... (8727 views)