Lump on dog's chin.

Breed: Dachshund
My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it be something else? If so what? I have a photo that I can send if that would help? Should I take him right away to see his vet or is there something I can try to help clear it up if it is a blood blister and what might have caused it? I have emailed a photo of the bump as well? Thank you in advance for your help in this matter.

Thank you for sending me this photo of the bump on your dog's chin:

bump on dog's chin

I would imagine that this was a hard photo to get. :)

I won't be able to say for certain what this bump is but I can give you a few ideas. In a young dog, often a smooth pink lump like this can be something called a histiocytoma. A histiocytoma is nothing to worry about and goes away on its own within a few weeks or months.

However, something that can look similar to a histiocytoma is a mast cell tumor. Some mast cell tumors are nothing to worry about, but others can be quite serious.

The only way to know the difference between a histiocytoma and a mast cell tumor is to have your vet put a small needle into it and draw some cells out to have a look at under the microscope. It's not a painful test at all.

There are other possibilities. I have seen some scrapes and small wounds that look like this. However, my best guess is that this will end up being a histiocytoma.

It's not something that you need to rush to the vet for right away but it's not a bad idea to have it checked out in the next week just to be sure.

Hello Dr. Marie,
Thank you for answering my question and I will get see about getting it checked by his vet. Thank you for the information of what it might be.

Vivian

Hello Dr. Marie,
Just wanted to let you know that I took Snickers to the vet on Friday and had a needle biopsy done on the lump and it is indeed a Histiocytoma and there weren't any cancer cells detected. Thank you again for your adivice.

Vivian and Snickers

Fantastic. Thank you for letting me know!

Pit Bull died suddenly. My Female Pit bull is about a year and half to 2 years we got her from a neighbor... (13315 views)

Steroid shot and NSAID? Hi Dr. Marie, Bare with me in my lengthy explanation :) I recently found out... (8999 views)

Artificial sweetener ingestion. This morning I ate an atkins bar for breakfast. I left the wrapper on the couch and... (34426 views)

Cat straining and in pain. Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if... (25367 views)

Herpes and sore mouth. My 2 year old short hair tabby was diagnosed with FHV quite early on.. he's been... (12672 views)

Dog losing chunks of fur. My dog has been loseing chunks of fur on his face only then next day the skin turns... (9193 views)

Seizures in sleep? My dog is 15 years old he has previously about 4 years ago had a tumor removed near... (5642 views)

Charcoal briquette My Yorkie, male-6 pounds, was in the garden where my husband threw burn,... (36313 views)

Human mouthwash for dog? Can I give my dog diluted mouthwash (regular people mouthwash) I want to mix a... (18514 views)

Lymph node enlargement. Lola was diagnosed with stage III-IVa (b cell) lymphoma a few months ago. Today was... (4930 views)