Lump on dog's chin.

Breed: Dachshund
My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it be something else? If so what? I have a photo that I can send if that would help? Should I take him right away to see his vet or is there something I can try to help clear it up if it is a blood blister and what might have caused it? I have emailed a photo of the bump as well? Thank you in advance for your help in this matter.

Thank you for sending me this photo of the bump on your dog's chin:

bump on dog's chin

I would imagine that this was a hard photo to get. :)

I won't be able to say for certain what this bump is but I can give you a few ideas. In a young dog, often a smooth pink lump like this can be something called a histiocytoma. A histiocytoma is nothing to worry about and goes away on its own within a few weeks or months.

However, something that can look similar to a histiocytoma is a mast cell tumor. Some mast cell tumors are nothing to worry about, but others can be quite serious.

The only way to know the difference between a histiocytoma and a mast cell tumor is to have your vet put a small needle into it and draw some cells out to have a look at under the microscope. It's not a painful test at all.

There are other possibilities. I have seen some scrapes and small wounds that look like this. However, my best guess is that this will end up being a histiocytoma.

It's not something that you need to rush to the vet for right away but it's not a bad idea to have it checked out in the next week just to be sure.

Hello Dr. Marie,
Thank you for answering my question and I will get see about getting it checked by his vet. Thank you for the information of what it might be.

Vivian

Hello Dr. Marie,
Just wanted to let you know that I took Snickers to the vet on Friday and had a needle biopsy done on the lump and it is indeed a Histiocytoma and there weren't any cancer cells detected. Thank you again for your adivice.

Vivian and Snickers

Fantastic. Thank you for letting me know!

Cancer in lung? Hello You answered already a questions with respect to my dog Mara (x rays: lots of... (30477 views)

Arthritis in a Newfie. My ten year old Newfie mix is eating less and seems very stiff and sometimes... (10913 views)

Lump under dog's eye? Hello, A couple days ago I noticed a red-pink bump under my dog's right eye. It... (33095 views)

Frequent urination in puppy. Dr. Marie, We have a brand new 7 week old bullmastiff female, named June...I have... (27048 views)

Human mouthwash for dog? Can I give my dog diluted mouthwash (regular people mouthwash) I want to mix a... (22632 views)

Sneezing guinea pig. My guinea pig is sneezing and wiping her nose more frequntly than she did... (21648 views)

Parvo virus vaccine question. can dogs get parvo even if they are vaccinated?... (10738 views)

Limping, trouble breathing and then dog died. Dr. Marie, My dog died this evening and am looking for possible causes. I did not... (21886 views)

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (10727 views)

Lack of bladder control. I HAVE A FEMALE COCKER SPANIEL WHO IS THE OFF SPRING OF MY OWN MALE AND FEMALE WHO... (16267 views)