Lump on dog's chin.

Breed: Dachshund
My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it be something else? If so what? I have a photo that I can send if that would help? Should I take him right away to see his vet or is there something I can try to help clear it up if it is a blood blister and what might have caused it? I have emailed a photo of the bump as well? Thank you in advance for your help in this matter.

Thank you for sending me this photo of the bump on your dog's chin:

bump on dog's chin

I would imagine that this was a hard photo to get. :)

I won't be able to say for certain what this bump is but I can give you a few ideas. In a young dog, often a smooth pink lump like this can be something called a histiocytoma. A histiocytoma is nothing to worry about and goes away on its own within a few weeks or months.

However, something that can look similar to a histiocytoma is a mast cell tumor. Some mast cell tumors are nothing to worry about, but others can be quite serious.

The only way to know the difference between a histiocytoma and a mast cell tumor is to have your vet put a small needle into it and draw some cells out to have a look at under the microscope. It's not a painful test at all.

There are other possibilities. I have seen some scrapes and small wounds that look like this. However, my best guess is that this will end up being a histiocytoma.

It's not something that you need to rush to the vet for right away but it's not a bad idea to have it checked out in the next week just to be sure.

Hello Dr. Marie,
Thank you for answering my question and I will get see about getting it checked by his vet. Thank you for the information of what it might be.

Vivian

Hello Dr. Marie,
Just wanted to let you know that I took Snickers to the vet on Friday and had a needle biopsy done on the lump and it is indeed a Histiocytoma and there weren't any cancer cells detected. Thank you again for your adivice.

Vivian and Snickers

Fantastic. Thank you for letting me know!

Sensitive tail and belly. My cat was spayed almost 5 months ago, and I've noticed since then, that she does... (3907 views)

Golden retriever with lymphoma died. My golden retriever was 125 pounds (all muscle) and enjoyed perfect health for all... (30118 views)

Double dose Metacam. We accidently gave our dog two doses of metacam. He is 80 pounds. We give him 1.5... (44165 views)

Boxer fainted. My 1 1/2 year old boxer fainted or collapsed yesterday evening as he was walking to... (7587 views)

Proin for incontinence. Our lab is 4 years old and has had a urinary problem since birth. When he sleeps or... (9237 views)

Rabbit thymoma? Okay. Hi. I'm very concerned about my bun. I have gone to the vet twice. The first... (18623 views)

Guinea Pig Pregnancy info. Hi, i bought a guinea pig from a pet store about a month ago and now, i think shes... (13734 views)

Bleeding from penis. My Siberian Husky has been bleeding from his penis for the last 2 days, It comes and... (13819 views)

Puppy has a small eye. my puppy has an eye defect it is smaller than the other and seems to be lazy it is... (19088 views)

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (20496 views)