Dog leaking urine when sleeping.

Breed: Weimeraner
My dog is leaking urine when she is sleeping. She pees on the bed or on the couch. She doesn't seem to know that she is doing this. Is she incontinent? Should I get diapers? Is this just an age thing?

Hi Sheila. I have some questions about Spooky before I answer:

Is she spayed?
Do you think she is drinking a lot of water?
Does she have any other health issues?

Thanks for the fast response Dr. Marie. Spooky was spayed when she was 6 months old.

I don't think she is drinking any more water than usual. She has been healthy other than a skin infection one year after swimming but that was a few years ago.

There is a good chance that your girl has something called estrogen responsive incontinence. This is something we often see in spayed female dogs.

For some reason the bladder of a female dog needs a certain amount of estrogen in order to maintain muscle tone to stay closed. Sometimes after a dog is spayed, as they get a little older these muscles can weaken and we see urine leak out when they are resting or sleeping.

The good news is that this is usually quite easily controlled with medication. The bad news is that it is usually a life long condition.

Your vet will likely want to do a urine test to rule out other causes for this problem. Anything that causes an increase of urine in the bladder could possibly cause urine to leak out. This includes problems like kidney disease, cushing's disease and others. However, estrogen responsive incontinence is the most likely.

Related:

Article on USMI in dogs.

Mange treatment. Dr. Marie: My dog has demodectic mange. We give her Promeris, but it makes her... (15332 views)

Swelling on dog's face. Hi the right side of my 6 year old boxer boy's face has swelled up - looks like he... (53625 views)

Dog vomiting clear fluid. Today we noticed that Cassie is vomiting clear fluid (with a little foam) all over... (218836 views)

Cat is dying. I took in a stray that was living in a garage since his was little for years and was... (9897 views)

Cat died suddenly. Hi and thank you for your time My son met me at the door in tears as 1.5 year old... (6851 views)

Parvo virus vaccine question. can dogs get parvo even if they are vaccinated?... (9408 views)

Do cats prefer litter? My cat just started using the bathroom floor and areas on the carpet at litter... (7004 views)

Floppy ear in German Shepherd. Hello my name is nick and i have a purebred west german shepherd from working lines.... (22247 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog keeps shaking and isn't acting herself. Her whole body is shaking but it is... (21599 views)

Elevated kidney enzymes. I brought my dog, Trixie (10 year old Shih Tzu) in this morning for her yearly... (17474 views)