Dog leaking urine when sleeping.

Breed: Weimeraner
My dog is leaking urine when she is sleeping. She pees on the bed or on the couch. She doesn't seem to know that she is doing this. Is she incontinent? Should I get diapers? Is this just an age thing?

Hi Sheila. I have some questions about Spooky before I answer:

Is she spayed?
Do you think she is drinking a lot of water?
Does she have any other health issues?

Thanks for the fast response Dr. Marie. Spooky was spayed when she was 6 months old.

I don't think she is drinking any more water than usual. She has been healthy other than a skin infection one year after swimming but that was a few years ago.

There is a good chance that your girl has something called estrogen responsive incontinence. This is something we often see in spayed female dogs.

For some reason the bladder of a female dog needs a certain amount of estrogen in order to maintain muscle tone to stay closed. Sometimes after a dog is spayed, as they get a little older these muscles can weaken and we see urine leak out when they are resting or sleeping.

The good news is that this is usually quite easily controlled with medication. The bad news is that it is usually a life long condition.

Your vet will likely want to do a urine test to rule out other causes for this problem. Anything that causes an increase of urine in the bladder could possibly cause urine to leak out. This includes problems like kidney disease, cushing's disease and others. However, estrogen responsive incontinence is the most likely.

Related:

Article on USMI in dogs.

Benadryl for thunderstorms? My dog is terified of thunderstoms. Pants, tongue hanging out, eyes huge, and heart... (35657 views)

Dog with FCE Dr. M, We have a 40 pound bulldog terrier mix. Eight days ago he was fighting with... (7044 views)

I'm out of prednisone. Sammy has been on 2.5mg of prednisone per day for the past two years for... (14549 views)

Itchy behind neck and ears. My cat, fuzzy, is starting to itch behind her neck, her ear area, base of her tail,... (8819 views)

Heartworm and MDR1 I rrecently had both dogs genotyped for MDR1 mutation and both are positive. Bella... (5966 views)

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (7829 views)

Fishy smelling urine. Hi - my dog Bluebell has had a fishy smell to her urine for quite some time and... (27816 views)

Dog biting at tail. My dog Kita is biting her tail down to the skin and Im getting worried because our... (7367 views)

Lump on ear flap. hello, what it is my dog ruby has this lump on the flap of her ear its soft feels... (8014 views)

Best cat foods. One cat is 13 pounds and 7 years old. He is heavy, but it doesn't look or feel like... (4234 views)