Time to put dog to sleep?

Breed: Mutt
My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost control of his bowels and then started throwing up everything he ate. Now today, he is basically ALL SKIN AND BONES and he was drinking only water earlier but he refuses to eat any TYPE of food. now at about 4:00pm he refuses to drink water now and is not getting up at all. My parents are thinking the best option is to euthanize him. It sucks to lose a dog at age 13 without knowing what caused this. Would you have any idea what might have caused this? Possibly parasites or a stomach blockage?

I'm very sorry to hear that Dusty is not doing well. Unfortunately, as this was asked as a free question by the time you get this answer it may be too late. (The free questions don't come to me until a few weeks after they are asked.)

The only way to rally answer your question is to have tests done. If this was my case I would likely be running some blood tests which would tell me how serious the problem. The exception, of course is if I could determine something on physical exam such as a large tumor or something else serious like that.

What you have described does not sound good though.

Your vet will be honest with you. They will likely not do euthanasia without doing a thorough exam, and then they will give you their opinion on what needs to be done.

I hope the decisions are not too difficult.

Spots all over body. Hi My staffordshire bull terrier has little spots all over his body almost like... (14810 views)

Bad breath in puppy. My two month maltese male puppy has really bad breath, what can I do? I'm worrying... (6202 views)

Wart on a cat? Hello. I found a small bump on my cat's throat a few months ago. It has gotten... (34262 views)

How long after flea treatment will my dog stop scratching? We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35... (96574 views)

Itchy cat. My cat is male, age 5 and generally very healthy. A while ago I noticed him biting... (8882 views)

Dog has lump on top of head. My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a... (34844 views)

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (23583 views)

Itchy smelly dark skin. Good day! I am Arby Bautista from Laguna, Philippines. I searched the internet... (7068 views)

Scabs on cat's ear and neck. Hi. I adopted a cat and she was doing fine. I noticed that she was loosing hair in... (19428 views)

Bladder surgery? How painful/stressful is bladder surgery for a fearful barn cat? A few days ago I... (19084 views)