Time to put dog to sleep?

Breed: Mutt
My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost control of his bowels and then started throwing up everything he ate. Now today, he is basically ALL SKIN AND BONES and he was drinking only water earlier but he refuses to eat any TYPE of food. now at about 4:00pm he refuses to drink water now and is not getting up at all. My parents are thinking the best option is to euthanize him. It sucks to lose a dog at age 13 without knowing what caused this. Would you have any idea what might have caused this? Possibly parasites or a stomach blockage?

I'm very sorry to hear that Dusty is not doing well. Unfortunately, as this was asked as a free question by the time you get this answer it may be too late. (The free questions don't come to me until a few weeks after they are asked.)

The only way to rally answer your question is to have tests done. If this was my case I would likely be running some blood tests which would tell me how serious the problem. The exception, of course is if I could determine something on physical exam such as a large tumor or something else serious like that.

What you have described does not sound good though.

Your vet will be honest with you. They will likely not do euthanasia without doing a thorough exam, and then they will give you their opinion on what needs to be done.

I hope the decisions are not too difficult.

Why does guinea pig have pink poop? Hi! I am a big fan! So my guinea pig yesterday at play time, I found like a pink... (13463 views)

Sensitive at tail base. My cat is 7 years old. She is the only suvivor of her litteer. All of the kittens... (118193 views)

Lethargic and following me around. Hi, My dog Harley is 3 yrs old. Starting 2 days ago he hasn't been acting like... (13213 views)

Staple in armpit. I just found a surgical staple in my dog's armpit! I'm taking her in first thing in... (5469 views)

Dog ate Advil. My 1.5 year old 70 lb Goldendoodle ate some Advil gel caps about 5 days ago. I am... (11149 views)

Chaning cat's thyroid medication. Hi, my cat is 13 and 1/2 years old. He was diagnosted hyperthyorid 2 1/2 months ago.... (7458 views)

Is this rabies? My dog is going crazy. He's been shaking and walking somewhere and walking back for... (7473 views)

Should surgery be done? I have a female labrador, who is six year old and was nutered when she was 1 year... (6276 views)

How often is heat cycle? Bonnie is a pure chocolate labrador & was 6 in september (2011). I'm wondering how... (26698 views)

Allergy treatment. I know Memphis has allergies. Within the last month he has started itching his eyes.... (8121 views)