Time to put dog to sleep?

Breed: Mutt
My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost control of his bowels and then started throwing up everything he ate. Now today, he is basically ALL SKIN AND BONES and he was drinking only water earlier but he refuses to eat any TYPE of food. now at about 4:00pm he refuses to drink water now and is not getting up at all. My parents are thinking the best option is to euthanize him. It sucks to lose a dog at age 13 without knowing what caused this. Would you have any idea what might have caused this? Possibly parasites or a stomach blockage?

I'm very sorry to hear that Dusty is not doing well. Unfortunately, as this was asked as a free question by the time you get this answer it may be too late. (The free questions don't come to me until a few weeks after they are asked.)

The only way to rally answer your question is to have tests done. If this was my case I would likely be running some blood tests which would tell me how serious the problem. The exception, of course is if I could determine something on physical exam such as a large tumor or something else serious like that.

What you have described does not sound good though.

Your vet will be honest with you. They will likely not do euthanasia without doing a thorough exam, and then they will give you their opinion on what needs to be done.

I hope the decisions are not too difficult.

Does dog saliva heal a wound? Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a... (7803 views)

Non itchy bald spots. She has 3 bald spots on her head and 2-3 more around her body. Took her to the vet... (15774 views)

Dog pulling hair out of wrist. Well, Looks like there was an infection and he's on zeniquin 100 for 14d now.... (23696 views)

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (17560 views)

Older cat problems. My cat is eating constantly. Every hour or two she cries at me to eat. And she's... (9972 views)

Can't pee. Constipation issues too. Hello, My cat has Mega Colon and is being treated with CisaPride 5mg/ml suspension.... (12775 views)

Lab not eating. Dakota, my lab, has stopped eating over the last couple of weeks and is losing... (11351 views)

Euthanasia difficulties. Well, Kiggy passed away May 21, 2012 after a vet recommended euthanasia. She was 14... (10425 views)

Dog throws up 3-5 times per week. Max is active & playful. He's a picky eater but seems to eat enough and drinks... (15133 views)

Dog ate Zoloft. please answer this question, please.. my dog chloe has eaten my anti depressants i... (52290 views)