Time to put dog to sleep?

Breed: Mutt
My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost control of his bowels and then started throwing up everything he ate. Now today, he is basically ALL SKIN AND BONES and he was drinking only water earlier but he refuses to eat any TYPE of food. now at about 4:00pm he refuses to drink water now and is not getting up at all. My parents are thinking the best option is to euthanize him. It sucks to lose a dog at age 13 without knowing what caused this. Would you have any idea what might have caused this? Possibly parasites or a stomach blockage?

I'm very sorry to hear that Dusty is not doing well. Unfortunately, as this was asked as a free question by the time you get this answer it may be too late. (The free questions don't come to me until a few weeks after they are asked.)

The only way to rally answer your question is to have tests done. If this was my case I would likely be running some blood tests which would tell me how serious the problem. The exception, of course is if I could determine something on physical exam such as a large tumor or something else serious like that.

What you have described does not sound good though.

Your vet will be honest with you. They will likely not do euthanasia without doing a thorough exam, and then they will give you their opinion on what needs to be done.

I hope the decisions are not too difficult.

Blood in urine after neuter. My dog was neutered 2 days ago. When he pees now there is small traces of blood in... (31489 views)

Infection on leg. My dog has been licking his inner thigh to the point where it is very red and there... (18635 views)

Dog throws up 3-5 times per week. Max is active & playful. He's a picky eater but seems to eat enough and drinks... (14933 views)

Health problems. WE DO NEED A QUICK ANSWER, BUT IN CASE DOG WILL HANG ON, HERE GOES: 10 YRS OLD... (7902 views)

Spay 7 year old dog? Shadow my "daughter" is 7 years old. She is NOT spayed. Recently, I noticed a... (17422 views)

Too small for spay? My cat is really small, about nine ten pounds,is it safe to get her... (7248 views)

Anal gland problems. Hello. I am a veterinary assistant and I am having an issue with my Cane Corso's... (7587 views)

Pit Bull died suddenly. My Female Pit bull is about a year and half to 2 years we got her from a neighbor... (13688 views)

Do dogs get sciatica? Hi, about three weeks ago zues' back legs seemed week and clumsy and he was dripping... (13428 views)

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (11787 views)