Dark sticky diarrhea.

Breed: poodle
My 14yr old poodle has diarrhea and an upset stomach (he keeps eating grass in the back yard). His diarrhea is very dark (no blood) and has a thick/sticky consistancy. Is there any thing that I could give him (like a certain kind of food) to clear this up? Thank you.

If a 14 year old who is not used to having diarrhea starts to have diarrhea it can often mean that there is a medical issue.

Is the stool black and tarry? If so, this can be a sign of a stomach ulcer which can be serious.

If he seems bright and alert and still wants to eat then you can try a period of 24 hours without food followed by small meals of chicken and rice. This will do the trick if it is just a minor diarrhea problem due to eating something unusual.

However, if you think there may be a stomach ulcer, or if Little Man is really not feeling well then a vet visit is definitely the best bet.

I hope he is ok!

Calcification in the lungs. dog lung calcification Dear Dr.Mari, I hear some bad sounds whenever my dog... (6465 views)

Dog drinking and panting lots. my dog has been drinking and panting a lot since i changed his dog food last summer.... (11955 views)

Sentry Pro Flea and Tick Shampoo Hi Dr. Marie, Last night around 8 pm I gave my dog a bath with Sentry Pro flea... (24184 views)

Feline acne? Dr. Marie, About a week ago I noticed a small grayish black nodule on my cat's... (24376 views)

When to do shots? just wanted to know my dog got her parvovirus on 5/01/11 and her leptospirosis on... (7361 views)

Hair loss in patches. Hi we live in a remote community up near Darwin in Australia. Four weeks ago we took... (8737 views)

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (5576 views)

Antibiotics for stuffed up nose. Hello again Dr. Marie, writing again about our dog Sparky and have some questions.... (5242 views)

Swelling on neck. I just noticed that when my dog barks the right side of her neck swells about 1-2... (4400 views)

Unneutered dog bit child. Hello Dr. Marie, Our 9 year old Border Collie has no history of aggression or... (8704 views)