Bald patches on cats.

Breed: DSH
I have twin cats, brother and sister. They are indoor cats and both overweight. They are now getting balding patches, although I have not seen them grooming excessively. Any ideas??

Thanks in advance.

Hi there and thanks for your question. The answer to this question depends on where the bald patches are.

If you are finding bald patches on the back over the base of the tail then I would be highly suspicious for fleas. Fleas are possible even if you can't see any fleas or dirt. There have to be an awful lot of fleas before they are visible.

If the hair loss is on their belly then this can be due to overgrooming even if you don't see them groom often.

If they are random patches over the body then you may want to have your vet test for ringworm which is a fungal infection that is contagious from cat to cat.

Testicle tumor and incontinence. my 11 year old dog has a swollen testicle, (a friend told me it may be a tumor), he... (8110 views)

Interview tips for veterinary technicians. I actually had a question not related to a pet, if that is okay. What advice would... (5851 views)

Sudden pain in dog. I have a nine year old female black lab mix, Polly. When I adopted her, I was... (5826 views)

High liver enzymes. After vomiting, we took him to the vet, thinking it was a sinus or allergy... (10638 views)

Dog is afraid of people. I have a shy dog and a trainer told me to densitize her to her fears. she is afraid... (5927 views)

Pink growths on chest of dog. Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on... (14548 views)

How does a vet put a dog to sleep? i'm thinking about putting my dog to sleep and i was wondering if i could stay in... (16275 views)

Dog has loose stools. I adopted Levi, a beautiful and terrific champion show dog in August. I have never... (12520 views)

Dog is drooling. My dog is drooling non-stop! It just started this morning after I let him... (18825 views)

Cat sick after prednisone. Two weeks ago LittleMan had something like an infection in the corners of his mouth... (19109 views)