Bald patches on cats.

Breed: DSH
I have twin cats, brother and sister. They are indoor cats and both overweight. They are now getting balding patches, although I have not seen them grooming excessively. Any ideas??

Thanks in advance.

Hi there and thanks for your question. The answer to this question depends on where the bald patches are.

If you are finding bald patches on the back over the base of the tail then I would be highly suspicious for fleas. Fleas are possible even if you can't see any fleas or dirt. There have to be an awful lot of fleas before they are visible.

If the hair loss is on their belly then this can be due to overgrooming even if you don't see them groom often.

If they are random patches over the body then you may want to have your vet test for ringworm which is a fungal infection that is contagious from cat to cat.

Recessed vulva I have a customer that claims the dog she bought from me has perivulvar pyoderma. ... (27757 views)

Swelling inside leg. I got my beagle from a beagle rescue, so I don't know too much about her background... (24589 views)

Vomiting kitten. My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very... (6112 views)

Separation anxiety. Dear Dr. Marie, My family and I adopted Champ, who is a 2 1/2 year old... (7256 views)

Pink lump on dog's paw. I just noticed my Daschund has a small lump on one of her paws. It is pinkish in... (59419 views)

Dog ate grapes. Last night at 9PM I took my dog out for a walk. We were in our town and someone had... (40964 views)

Panleukopenia vaccine. we have two 12 week old kittens. last week we looked after two 7 week old kittens... (8929 views)

Dog on You Don't Mess with the Zohan. ok im very stressed what type of dog is on the movie You Don't Mess With The Zohan?... (14442 views)

Bumps on bulldog. Dr. Marie, Rocky has been having a series of hives over the past few weeks, which... (16909 views)

Kitten panting. My previous cats lived to be 18 yrs, so it's a long time since I had a young one. ... (6064 views)