Bald patches on cats.

Breed: DSH
I have twin cats, brother and sister. They are indoor cats and both overweight. They are now getting balding patches, although I have not seen them grooming excessively. Any ideas??

Thanks in advance.

Hi there and thanks for your question. The answer to this question depends on where the bald patches are.

If you are finding bald patches on the back over the base of the tail then I would be highly suspicious for fleas. Fleas are possible even if you can't see any fleas or dirt. There have to be an awful lot of fleas before they are visible.

If the hair loss is on their belly then this can be due to overgrooming even if you don't see them groom often.

If they are random patches over the body then you may want to have your vet test for ringworm which is a fungal infection that is contagious from cat to cat.

Intranasal vaccine reaction. our kitten seams to have had a reaction to her nasal vacine it had been about four... (7300 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (4357 views)

Hamster escaping out lid. hello, my hamster has a rody cage but i noticed the other day that he had biten... (6814 views)

Scabs on cat's ears. Our cat has spots on her ears that look like bites or sores. We have had her to the... (8024 views)

Bromonidine (like amitraz) toxicity. MY DOG SWALLOWED SOME BRIMONIDINE TARTRATE OPHTHALMIC 5 ML SHE IS VERY WEAK AND... (11252 views)

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (15781 views)

Parvo protection. Hi Dr, My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's... (59692 views)

Kitten won't eat. my kitten won't eat but will drink water and he is sluggish and has had weight loss... (17824 views)

Hungry and losing weight. hi our cat is scrounging for food 24hrs a day even if he has just eaten. we dont... (6494 views)

Worms in dog's poop. My dog is 1 year and 6 months, she has worms. My husband and I saw signs of it about... (5260 views)