Bald patches on cats.

Breed: DSH
I have twin cats, brother and sister. They are indoor cats and both overweight. They are now getting balding patches, although I have not seen them grooming excessively. Any ideas??

Thanks in advance.

Hi there and thanks for your question. The answer to this question depends on where the bald patches are.

If you are finding bald patches on the back over the base of the tail then I would be highly suspicious for fleas. Fleas are possible even if you can't see any fleas or dirt. There have to be an awful lot of fleas before they are visible.

If the hair loss is on their belly then this can be due to overgrooming even if you don't see them groom often.

If they are random patches over the body then you may want to have your vet test for ringworm which is a fungal infection that is contagious from cat to cat.

Natural treatment for lymphoma? my dog was just diagnosed with lymphoma cancer. hes on prednisone. cant afford... (8437 views)

Metronidazole for cats alternative? My 16-hr-old neutered male cat is diabetic (since 2008) Was recently prescribed... (11811 views)

Purple feces. Why is my dog's poop... (14478 views)

Bobcat with lump. Hi,I was wondering about my bobcat mix... He is 3 mo old ..we found him when he was... (7668 views)

Cut my dog while grooming. My mother was trimming Levi's fringe, and accidentally cut skin instead. Needless to... (56382 views)

Hair loss at base of tail. My cat has been pulling her fur out near the base of her tail,leaving swollen bald... (14356 views)

Low specific gravity. This is regarding a 9 year old male pitbull, neutered with no past medical history.... (6772 views)

Cancer or infection? My dog recently completed radiation therapy for a brain tumor and he handled the... (5463 views)

Allergic to grass? My dog has a rash on his belly that has red whelps. Itches a lot. Licking and... (17011 views)

Hamster hair loss. Hello, My daughters hamster keeps loosing big patches of his fur and also his eyes... (10878 views)