Bald patches on cats.

Breed: DSH
I have twin cats, brother and sister. They are indoor cats and both overweight. They are now getting balding patches, although I have not seen them grooming excessively. Any ideas??

Thanks in advance.

Hi there and thanks for your question. The answer to this question depends on where the bald patches are.

If you are finding bald patches on the back over the base of the tail then I would be highly suspicious for fleas. Fleas are possible even if you can't see any fleas or dirt. There have to be an awful lot of fleas before they are visible.

If the hair loss is on their belly then this can be due to overgrooming even if you don't see them groom often.

If they are random patches over the body then you may want to have your vet test for ringworm which is a fungal infection that is contagious from cat to cat.

Cat not eating. About 2 Weeks ago I took Emma to the Vet because pretty much overnight her Appetite... (10803 views)

Lumps on mammary glands. Fraya is a rescue we have had for a month. We are not sure of her age, but we think... (24759 views)

Scratching ears and shaking head. We just started a road trip and my Isis has started scratching her ears and shaking... (7363 views)

Needs anal glands done again. I just took Chloe to the vet last weekend because she was skooting and her vet... (7688 views)

Natural flea product? Dear Dr. Marie: We use Sentry Natural Defense squeeze-on flea control product on... (9177 views)

Chinese Crested with diarrhea This is breed that loses their teeth (starting at an early age) as they age.... (9680 views)

Ovarian remnant Hi, We have a spayed cat that has been showing signs of being on heat on and off... (9824 views)

Watery eyes. Minnie's eyes are very watery, she can't seem to keep them open and her nose is... (10290 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog has been losing her appetite for about 2 months. She would no longer eat her... (12604 views)

Red bugs on my dog. my dog has red bugs on him i have no idea what to do PLZ ANSWER THIS I LOVE MY DOG I... (14068 views)