Cat scratch fever.

Breed: Tabby cat mackerel
We have had our cat Zeus for over a year. He is up to date on his vaccines and is an indoor pet. Recently, my nephew brought in a kitten and she stayed in our house for about a month. I am not sure about this kitten's vaccines. She was skittish and not very friendly. She bit our cat several times while they interacted. She also scratched and bit my 8 year old son several times. My son is in the hospital and was diagnosed with cat scratch fever. The kitten is now out of the house and we have had our cat Zeus bathed and dipped. My question is.. How do we find out if our cat Zeus was infected with the bacteria Bartonella Henselae? If so, can we treat him? Can my son be reinfected with this bacteria and get this diseasevagain. Is it necessary to get rid of our beloved Zes? Thanks

Oh, I am sorry to hear about your son. I had something similar happen to me years ago when I was a student and had a bad cat bite. I healed just fine but was on antibiotics for a while.

You're right...cat scratch fever is caused by a bacteria called Bartonella.

Unfortunately there is no accurate way to test a cat to see if they are likely to spread Bartonella. You can test a cat for Bartonella but up to 20% of cats will naturally have the bacteria. Just having the bacteria doesn't mean that they are likely to spread it. Also, a lot of the tests that can be used to test for Bartonella can have false positives and false negatives. They are very unreliable.

One good thing to know is that most cats that get Bartonella do not tend to be lifelong carriers. So, if Zeus did get the bacteria (via a bite from the new kitten) then there is a good chance that he will eventually clear the bacteria and not be a threat to anyone. Unfortunately though, as mentioned above there is no way for us to know what could happen.

Another way that Bartonella can be spread is by fleas. Be certain that neither of the cats have fleas as flea bites can spread the bacteria.

I wish there was a way that you could know for certain that Zeus will not be a carrier. There are some vets that say, "Well, let's test him and if he is negative then you can feel better." But, what if it's a false negative? What if it's positive? Does that mean you get rid of him? Either way the tests are not helpful.

The odds are in your favor that Zeus will be ok and that you don't need to worry about this again, but no one can say for sure. To go back to my experience, I can tell you that when I was originally infected by a cat bite that was about 20 years ago. I have had *many* bites since then and have not had a serious infection from any of them.

I hope that helps and I pray that your son recovers quickly!

Brown bugs on my dog. I got a new dog, a crossbreed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua, and I discovered... (8941 views)

Is celery safe for rabbits? is it okey to feed my rabbits celery? i did research on what veggies to feed my... (9513 views)

Bengal leg weakness. Rebel has had some undiagnosed rear end lameness and weakness intermitantly since... (8644 views)

Is my dog pregnant? We think my dog is pregnant.She keeps trying to make little areas for herself and... (4680 views)

Chihuahua with loose teeth. My Chihuahua's teeth are starting to get very loose. She is only two years old,... (11645 views)

Lump on boxer's neck. Hi, My six yr. old female boxer has a large AA egg size growth below the right tmj... (51919 views)

Can a neutered dog breed? Hi, I have a 2 year old chihuahua weighs 4 pounds named Frenchy Fry. I nuetered him... (25919 views)

Pink growths on chest of dog. Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on... (14727 views)

Missed vaccines. My dog is approximatley 4 years old and hasnt had any injections since she was... (4973 views)

Azithromycin and cat death. I run my own rescue group. I do all the cleaning, transporting, adopting, and I... (10200 views)