Is hamster hibernating or dead?

Breed: Hamster
My hamster is limp cold and her eyes are slightly open and she is lying on her stomach. Is she dead or hibernating. We have put her in some bedding near a hot water bottele and are keeping her in our hands to keep her warm. Is she hibernating or dying?

Sorry to hear that Snuggie may be having problems.

Hamsters can hibernate if their living area is becoming too cold. They will be more likely to do so if they have been deprived of food.

Do you know what type of hamster you have? Some hamsters are better at hibernating than others. Syrian hamsters rarely hibernate, and dwarf hamsters almost never hibernate.

When a hamster is hibernating, you usually can still see them breathing, but it is very shallow. Usually if they are hibernating they will be limp, but if they are dead it does not take long for them to go stiff.

If you think that she is not dead, but possibly hibernating then you can move her to a warm room, put a space heater near her cage and a small blanket or towel over her. She should eventually start to twitch and slowly wake up. Make sure she has food and water available right away.

Cat peeing in tub. Hi, DR. Marie; Tiger has recently started using the bath tub for his litter box,... (56977 views)

Male cat has large breasts. Recently (2-3 weeks), my 8 year old male tabby cat has, what seem to be, slightly... (20216 views)

Remove baby teeth with spay? Hello, My wife's puppy is 9 months old. she weighs 3.6 pounds. She needs to get... (10979 views)

Intranasal vaccine reaction. our kitten seams to have had a reaction to her nasal vacine it had been about four... (8681 views)

Dog biting his own penis. I have 2 foster brothers who had been severely abused when I took them in. (Broken... (71379 views)

Cat has an itchy head. Hello, my cat's head is very itchy. She has been wearing a e-collar for a year... (10344 views)

Do cats get pink eye? My cat had a "pink eye" this weekend while I was away, according to the pet sitter. ... (5711 views)

Trouble breathing and died. my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could... (10338 views)

Pattern baldness in dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have noticed that over the last few months my dog seems to be... (10803 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea, sneezing. My 4 month old kitten has vomited twice this morning. He has also coughed and... (18866 views)