Is hamster hibernating or dead?

Breed: Hamster
My hamster is limp cold and her eyes are slightly open and she is lying on her stomach. Is she dead or hibernating. We have put her in some bedding near a hot water bottele and are keeping her in our hands to keep her warm. Is she hibernating or dying?

Sorry to hear that Snuggie may be having problems.

Hamsters can hibernate if their living area is becoming too cold. They will be more likely to do so if they have been deprived of food.

Do you know what type of hamster you have? Some hamsters are better at hibernating than others. Syrian hamsters rarely hibernate, and dwarf hamsters almost never hibernate.

When a hamster is hibernating, you usually can still see them breathing, but it is very shallow. Usually if they are hibernating they will be limp, but if they are dead it does not take long for them to go stiff.

If you think that she is not dead, but possibly hibernating then you can move her to a warm room, put a space heater near her cage and a small blanket or towel over her. She should eventually start to twitch and slowly wake up. Make sure she has food and water available right away.

Can't close mouth. Hi! My cat is 21 years old. Just recently its like his lower jaw has shifted to the... (10320 views)

8 month old kitten producing milk. Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat... (4525 views)

Black spot or scab on dog's nose. Hello I noticed a few days ago my beagle has a black bump above his snout, my sister... (31195 views)

Diarrhea with blood Hi Dr. Marie. My dog has had diarrhea for a couple of days. He still seems to be... (12590 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in maltese puppy. Good evening, I had a question for you regarding my puppy. She is almost 12... (5203 views)

Bloated and leaking urine. This past week my 12 year old german shepard has been wetting herself and last night... (18490 views)

Can't walk, dehydrated puppy. My puppy is 3 months old. She was left at home with her dogsitter but was obviously... (15070 views)

Robaxin and Metacam. Rocky has been having back pain for over a week now. He's had this problem before... (16531 views)

Fly biting seizures. At night with the lights on, Misha snaps at the air as if she's catching flies.... (17235 views)

Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky. Has anyone had a problem with Nature’s Deli chicken Jerky Dog Treats (from Denver,... (6419 views)