Is hamster hibernating or dead?

Breed: Hamster
My hamster is limp cold and her eyes are slightly open and she is lying on her stomach. Is she dead or hibernating. We have put her in some bedding near a hot water bottele and are keeping her in our hands to keep her warm. Is she hibernating or dying?

Sorry to hear that Snuggie may be having problems.

Hamsters can hibernate if their living area is becoming too cold. They will be more likely to do so if they have been deprived of food.

Do you know what type of hamster you have? Some hamsters are better at hibernating than others. Syrian hamsters rarely hibernate, and dwarf hamsters almost never hibernate.

When a hamster is hibernating, you usually can still see them breathing, but it is very shallow. Usually if they are hibernating they will be limp, but if they are dead it does not take long for them to go stiff.

If you think that she is not dead, but possibly hibernating then you can move her to a warm room, put a space heater near her cage and a small blanket or towel over her. She should eventually start to twitch and slowly wake up. Make sure she has food and water available right away.

Pigmented spot on belly. Dr, Recall my 9 week old golden named Max... I noticed something today on his... (14689 views)

Lump where umbilicus was. Hi, I have a kitten who is 4 weeks and a few days. Ive noticed today that where the... (19837 views)

Is my hamster dead? My hamster isn't moving like he used too. His eyes are always opened and he isn't... (16895 views)

Growth near bum of cat. Hello: I noticed my outside male cat had a growth coming out of his back end. After... (16722 views)

Aggressive cats when in heat. i have 2 cats cocoa & honey & honey jus had kittens but before honey had her kittens... (9694 views)

Fishy smelling urine. Hi - my dog Bluebell has had a fishy smell to her urine for quite some time and... (31988 views)

Pregnancy test for dogs? How can I tell if my dog is pregnant? She was with a male dog yesterday and I think... (20746 views)

Third eyelids in cats. my cat having an eye problem...her eye close half by some kind of white thing...i... (76945 views)

Red eye in kitten. my kitten all of a sudden got a red around his left eye. He keeps pawing at it when... (11037 views)

Is my dog pregnant? my dog had puppies about 7 months ago and i wasn't home often to make sure her and... (15801 views)