Is hamster hibernating or dead?

Breed: Hamster
My hamster is limp cold and her eyes are slightly open and she is lying on her stomach. Is she dead or hibernating. We have put her in some bedding near a hot water bottele and are keeping her in our hands to keep her warm. Is she hibernating or dying?

Sorry to hear that Snuggie may be having problems.

Hamsters can hibernate if their living area is becoming too cold. They will be more likely to do so if they have been deprived of food.

Do you know what type of hamster you have? Some hamsters are better at hibernating than others. Syrian hamsters rarely hibernate, and dwarf hamsters almost never hibernate.

When a hamster is hibernating, you usually can still see them breathing, but it is very shallow. Usually if they are hibernating they will be limp, but if they are dead it does not take long for them to go stiff.

If you think that she is not dead, but possibly hibernating then you can move her to a warm room, put a space heater near her cage and a small blanket or towel over her. She should eventually start to twitch and slowly wake up. Make sure she has food and water available right away.

Cat puts her paw on my face. Why does my cat Bruski always put her paw on my face when shes sleeping shell keep... (24252 views)

Severely scratching ears. I've taken my dog to 3 vets so far for "allergy" symptoms. His episodes start with... (11346 views)

Contagious seizures. Blake is a 2yr old German shepherd that started having epileptic fits in june 2010.... (11853 views)

House training adult dog. Is it possible to house break a 5 y/o mini pin that was rescued from a puppy mill? ... (8369 views)

Lump on dog's chest. My dog has a lump on the right side of his chest. (I think it's his chest. It's an... (20830 views)

Seizures due to brain tumor? Hello I have a 9 year old standard poodle (neutured) that has had a seizure episode... (17965 views)

Metacam for cancer pain. I have a 13 year old Birman female cat, never really been sick in her life. We... (16187 views)

Dog bitten by another dog my dog got bit by a boxer dog on the front leg what shall i... (12526 views)

Large scab on cat's neck Dear Dr. Marie, My cat has a scab on its back, it's L shaped and is uniformly... (13428 views)

Lump near nipple. Dear Dr. Marie: Hello again! I found what I think may be a lump under Jammy's... (70020 views)