Is hamster hibernating or dead?

Breed: Hamster
My hamster is limp cold and her eyes are slightly open and she is lying on her stomach. Is she dead or hibernating. We have put her in some bedding near a hot water bottele and are keeping her in our hands to keep her warm. Is she hibernating or dying?

Sorry to hear that Snuggie may be having problems.

Hamsters can hibernate if their living area is becoming too cold. They will be more likely to do so if they have been deprived of food.

Do you know what type of hamster you have? Some hamsters are better at hibernating than others. Syrian hamsters rarely hibernate, and dwarf hamsters almost never hibernate.

When a hamster is hibernating, you usually can still see them breathing, but it is very shallow. Usually if they are hibernating they will be limp, but if they are dead it does not take long for them to go stiff.

If you think that she is not dead, but possibly hibernating then you can move her to a warm room, put a space heater near her cage and a small blanket or towel over her. She should eventually start to twitch and slowly wake up. Make sure she has food and water available right away.

Older dog won't eat. My dog has been losing her appetite for about 2 months. She would no longer eat her... (12563 views)

Not using litter box. For the past several months she has decided to stop using the litter box to poop in.... (10711 views)

Bumps around anus. Itchiness and swollen bumps "cauliflower" looking around her vagina and anus. She... (53527 views)

Vomiting due to virus? Hello Dr.Marie. Okay so my 14 year old cat smokey has been going threw some... (16741 views)

Cat is not eating. Our 6 year old male cat has not been eating or Drinking. He has not been using the... (17207 views)

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (6774 views)

Head tremor in a cat. Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Wildwood has been lethargic for the past 2 days, along with... (31197 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My dog has been excessively sneezing for over a year now. She has had no respiratory... (20166 views)

Euthanasia for older cat. I euthanized my cat on Friday, and I regret it so badly. He was 14 1/2 years old,... (8742 views)

Dog is drooling. My dog is drooling non-stop! It just started this morning after I let him... (18918 views)