Is hamster hibernating or dead?

Breed: Hamster
My hamster is limp cold and her eyes are slightly open and she is lying on her stomach. Is she dead or hibernating. We have put her in some bedding near a hot water bottele and are keeping her in our hands to keep her warm. Is she hibernating or dying?

Sorry to hear that Snuggie may be having problems.

Hamsters can hibernate if their living area is becoming too cold. They will be more likely to do so if they have been deprived of food.

Do you know what type of hamster you have? Some hamsters are better at hibernating than others. Syrian hamsters rarely hibernate, and dwarf hamsters almost never hibernate.

When a hamster is hibernating, you usually can still see them breathing, but it is very shallow. Usually if they are hibernating they will be limp, but if they are dead it does not take long for them to go stiff.

If you think that she is not dead, but possibly hibernating then you can move her to a warm room, put a space heater near her cage and a small blanket or towel over her. She should eventually start to twitch and slowly wake up. Make sure she has food and water available right away.

Dog has loose stools. I adopted Levi, a beautiful and terrific champion show dog in August. I have never... (15863 views)

Small open wound on dog Our min pin lives out in country with us. We have enclosed 1/2 acre fenced area. She... (16824 views)

Lump with open sores. Hello. My dog has a very large lump on his leg with open sores which bleeds... (31377 views)

Green discharge post whelping. is it normal for my dog to have greenish pee and black clumps after she gave birth?... (22323 views)

Is my dog overheating? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a simple question. Max is now a 74 lb 1yr old... (11329 views)

Swollen carpal pad. Dear Dr. Marie: About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our... (38134 views)

Heterochromia in a cat. I recently got a cat as a rescue. She is white, with light grey and yellow... (14428 views)

Hamster escaping out lid. hello, my hamster has a rody cage but i noticed the other day that he had biten... (9708 views)

Coughing and sneezing dog. I have a three month old teacup Yorkie. He had a check up last week and got his... (31660 views)

Red sores on mouth. My dog has developed sores or bubbley looking things round her mouth. They get... (18413 views)