Is hamster hibernating or dead?

Breed: Hamster
My hamster is limp cold and her eyes are slightly open and she is lying on her stomach. Is she dead or hibernating. We have put her in some bedding near a hot water bottele and are keeping her in our hands to keep her warm. Is she hibernating or dying?

Sorry to hear that Snuggie may be having problems.

Hamsters can hibernate if their living area is becoming too cold. They will be more likely to do so if they have been deprived of food.

Do you know what type of hamster you have? Some hamsters are better at hibernating than others. Syrian hamsters rarely hibernate, and dwarf hamsters almost never hibernate.

When a hamster is hibernating, you usually can still see them breathing, but it is very shallow. Usually if they are hibernating they will be limp, but if they are dead it does not take long for them to go stiff.

If you think that she is not dead, but possibly hibernating then you can move her to a warm room, put a space heater near her cage and a small blanket or towel over her. She should eventually start to twitch and slowly wake up. Make sure she has food and water available right away.

Drooling and not eating. My female cat, Patches, has been with me since I was young. She has never been to a... (12556 views)

Dog can't bark. I just recent spayed my dog this summer and i recently noticed that her bark sounds... (21981 views)

Can't pee. Constipation issues too. Hello, My cat has Mega Colon and is being treated with CisaPride 5mg/ml suspension.... (11959 views)

Patches of hair loss on snout. Hi, my dog Penelope has started to develop a patch of hair loss on the right side of... (17705 views)

Red bubble in corner of eye. My dog has a red membrane sticking out from the corner of his eye - kind of like a... (21528 views)

Tumor or cystitis? I have a 17-year-old male cat (British short hair). He is in good health, eats and... (11190 views)

Sheltie is afraid of people. I have a one year old female Sheltie. she is very nervous around people. She was... (13293 views)

Sore tail. Yesterday I noticed my cat acting strange. She has been walking with her tail very... (6563 views)

Possible rabies. Hello, My dog bit me, on my arm, exactly 10 days ago. Today is the 10th day and he... (8885 views)

Rat lost his brother. My rat has lost his brother will he be ok i am not getting another... (10972 views)