Large lump on dog's side.

Breed: Min Pin
A lump (about the size of a quarter) showed up suddenly on his side, about an inch down from his back bone. It's hard, and doesnt hurt him when pressed, nor has he been acting differently. He had a short stay at the vet about a month ago (for a stomach virus). But other than that there has been no changes in his daily life. Should I take him to the vet to get checked out, or just keep an eye on it?

Thanks for sending me this photo. That always helps me with my answer. :)

lump on dog's side

Now, keep in mind that I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet. This could be a few things. Given that Jax was recently at the vet's, there is a possibility that this is a reaction to an injection. If he had a stomach virus he may have been given an anti-nausea injection such as cerenia. An injection can sometimes cause a mild reaction causing something called a granuloma to form. If this is the case then it's probably nothing to worry about. Or, it's possible that this is an injection induced abscess. While you would expect an abscess to be painful, they aren't always.

If Jax was a bigger dog like a lab or Golden Retriever then I would be saying that this could be a fat lump called a lipoma. These are nothing to worry about. But they don't usually pop up that suddenly.

It's also possible that this is a seroma which is a kind of a fluid filled bruise.

There are other more serious things that this could be such as a mast cell tumor or other types of cancer. I think the chances of this being cancerous are small, but it's still possible.

I do think that this is something I would get checked out. I wouldn't rush in today but I think if it is not reducing in size within a week or so I would have the vet check it. They will likely put a needle in and draw some cells out.

I'm not too worried about this, but I can tell you that it is not something I would call "normal".

I hope everything works out ok!

Thank you so much for your time!

Seizures due to brain tumor? Hello I have a 9 year old standard poodle (neutured) that has had a seizure episode... (17972 views)

How long is FIP contagious? Hi Marie. Here's my situation. Adopted Charlie in August 2010. On March 1, this year... (15845 views)

Are lumps related to seizures? Hi, Amber is 10 years old. Since she was young she had frequent seizures, as she... (10546 views)

Muscle atrophy in a cat. Its been two weeks since my 13 yr old cat, Sweety, has been unable to walk and the 4... (23981 views)

Stimulus sensitive seizures. Hello, My dog is part pomerainean and part something else. He is about 25lbs. He is... (18798 views)

Dog had a seizure. My dog had a seizure this morning. She is a 3 ½ year old spayed Whippet/Jack... (13066 views)

How long for Frontline to work An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing... (9320 views)

Itchy hamster. What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what... (21312 views)

How to stop dog from scratching. I bought a cone for my dog because he has a sore on his eye that he keeps scratching... (17914 views)

Pit bull with rash. My dog has a bumpy red rash on her inner hip area,around her tail and her private... (8092 views)