Large lump on dog's side.

Breed: Min Pin
A lump (about the size of a quarter) showed up suddenly on his side, about an inch down from his back bone. It's hard, and doesnt hurt him when pressed, nor has he been acting differently. He had a short stay at the vet about a month ago (for a stomach virus). But other than that there has been no changes in his daily life. Should I take him to the vet to get checked out, or just keep an eye on it?

Thanks for sending me this photo. That always helps me with my answer. :)

lump on dog's side

Now, keep in mind that I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet. This could be a few things. Given that Jax was recently at the vet's, there is a possibility that this is a reaction to an injection. If he had a stomach virus he may have been given an anti-nausea injection such as cerenia. An injection can sometimes cause a mild reaction causing something called a granuloma to form. If this is the case then it's probably nothing to worry about. Or, it's possible that this is an injection induced abscess. While you would expect an abscess to be painful, they aren't always.

If Jax was a bigger dog like a lab or Golden Retriever then I would be saying that this could be a fat lump called a lipoma. These are nothing to worry about. But they don't usually pop up that suddenly.

It's also possible that this is a seroma which is a kind of a fluid filled bruise.

There are other more serious things that this could be such as a mast cell tumor or other types of cancer. I think the chances of this being cancerous are small, but it's still possible.

I do think that this is something I would get checked out. I wouldn't rush in today but I think if it is not reducing in size within a week or so I would have the vet check it. They will likely put a needle in and draw some cells out.

I'm not too worried about this, but I can tell you that it is not something I would call "normal".

I hope everything works out ok!

Thank you so much for your time!

Intranasal vaccine reaction. our kitten seams to have had a reaction to her nasal vacine it had been about four... (7669 views)

Howling when trying to pee. We took Ferna to the vet a few months ago for vomiting and they prescribed hairball... (8936 views)

Dog won't gain weight. Our boy, Zidane, was born May 19, 2009, which makes Zidane almost 18 months old. He... (12558 views)

Laser pointers for cats and dogs? Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or... (11725 views)

Kitten had eye removed. My cat went blind in her good eye following removal of a bad eye in which she was... (5948 views)

Peeing in the house. We have a problem with Storm (a male cat) weeing every where in the house we do have... (6639 views)

Does Prozac cause diarrhea in dogs? I want to know if continuing diarrhea is a possible side effect of prozac. My dog... (21552 views)

Not eating or drinking and is painful. My cat tink 3 yrs seems very poorly he hasn't eaten or drank for 2 days now is very... (4159 views)

Kitten got head caught in door. The kitten got its head caught in the pantry door as it was closing. It seems to... (18558 views)

Home cooked diet for dog. I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green... (4496 views)