Large lump on dog's side.

Breed: Min Pin
A lump (about the size of a quarter) showed up suddenly on his side, about an inch down from his back bone. It's hard, and doesnt hurt him when pressed, nor has he been acting differently. He had a short stay at the vet about a month ago (for a stomach virus). But other than that there has been no changes in his daily life. Should I take him to the vet to get checked out, or just keep an eye on it?

Thanks for sending me this photo. That always helps me with my answer. :)

lump on dog's side

Now, keep in mind that I can't give you a diagnosis over the internet. This could be a few things. Given that Jax was recently at the vet's, there is a possibility that this is a reaction to an injection. If he had a stomach virus he may have been given an anti-nausea injection such as cerenia. An injection can sometimes cause a mild reaction causing something called a granuloma to form. If this is the case then it's probably nothing to worry about. Or, it's possible that this is an injection induced abscess. While you would expect an abscess to be painful, they aren't always.

If Jax was a bigger dog like a lab or Golden Retriever then I would be saying that this could be a fat lump called a lipoma. These are nothing to worry about. But they don't usually pop up that suddenly.

It's also possible that this is a seroma which is a kind of a fluid filled bruise.

There are other more serious things that this could be such as a mast cell tumor or other types of cancer. I think the chances of this being cancerous are small, but it's still possible.

I do think that this is something I would get checked out. I wouldn't rush in today but I think if it is not reducing in size within a week or so I would have the vet check it. They will likely put a needle in and draw some cells out.

I'm not too worried about this, but I can tell you that it is not something I would call "normal".

I hope everything works out ok!

Thank you so much for your time!

High stepping and chattering. My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal... (8595 views)

Healthy weight for a puppy. My papipoo recently had a haircut and I was shocked at how skinny he is. What is a... (9263 views)

Ate tag from pillow case. My dog ate a tag like the one on a pillow what should i... (8614 views)

Older dog having seizures. She has been having more vestibular events lately and closer to each other and I'm... (7245 views)

Loud noises from belly. I recently noticed loud noises coming from my 14 year old ragdolls tummy. She does... (8544 views)

Bassett with swollen eyes. I have a 5 year old bassett whos eye swelled up quite a bit this morning. We took... (12880 views)

Fleas, pale nose and sick. My cat Ava has lost alomot all of her hair and so much weight i can see her hip... (4655 views)

Beagle with neck pain. I have an 8-yr. old (9 in March) female beagle. Almost a month ago, one morning she... (12571 views)

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (4148 views)

Hyperthyroidism and stress. My cat Harry, who is approximately 12 years old, was just diagnosed with... (7787 views)