Can rabbits carry rabies?

Breed: cat
I am wondering what the chances of a baby wild rabbit having rabies is. The baby is normal acting, though rather tame. My cat tried to pick her up and the rabbit scratched him on the nose. The scratch is light and hardly bled.

The cat is just a kitten so hasn't yet been vaccinated but has a appointment to do so.

I know they're mammals so they can technically have rabies, but I am wondering if it's likely in a baby or if rabbits are even able to transmit it. Like I said, the bunny was acting normal. It was tame enough that I could catch it and release it outside, but wasn't paralyzed or anything. We live in Colorado, and rabies is fairly prevalent in skunks and bats, but not rodents. Thanks.

Sorry to hear that your cat got scratched by a rabbit. While rabbits can carry rabies, the chances that this little rabbit had rabies and transmitted rabies to your cat are really small.

We rarely see bunnies with rabies and that is because in order for them to get rabies they would have had to have been bitten by a rabid animal. If this happened, then the bunny likely would have died and would not still be running around. Next, in order to transmit rabies, saliva has to be injected into the animal. In other words, a scratch would not transmit rabies, but a bite possibly could.

So, if your cat was scratched by a bunny I would not be worried much about the possibility of him contracting rabies.

The biggest concern I would have would be for infection. I wouldn't do anything for the small scratch at this point, but if you notice it getting red and sore or if your cat is lethargic and doesn't want to eat then you'll need to see the vet for some antibiotics. Most likely everything will be fine though!

Parvo? My English Mastiff started vomiting on Friday. By Saturday he had extremely watery... (13810 views)

viscious dogs Killer dogs next door! We live next door to 4 dogs, a female German Shepard, a... (11737 views)

Dog shedding. Why is our dog shedding so... (8790 views)

Gentamycin and deafness? Hope you can help with my question. I have a 11 year old cat named Emma, that has... (4651 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My pug has been vomiting over the last few days it started two nights ago I woke up... (33151 views)

Metronidazole for cats alternative? My 16-hr-old neutered male cat is diabetic (since 2008) Was recently prescribed... (10555 views)

Bumps on schnauzer. Hi Dr. Marie, Firstly, I'd like to thank you for this very valuable, yet... (23522 views)

Paraneoplastic syndrome? In 3/2013 after suffering 2 "seizures," Clark was diagnosed with insulinoma from... (5518 views)

Older dog - bloody diarrhea. My dog is a 12 1/2 yr old cocker spaniel/golden retriever mix. She's had diarrhea... (35899 views)

Chaning cat's thyroid medication. Hi, my cat is 13 and 1/2 years old. He was diagnosted hyperthyorid 2 1/2 months ago.... (6178 views)