Swollen foot after wound.

Breed: Boston Terrier
My dog Toby has what appears to be a cut in between his toes on one of his paws. He was constantly licking it, so we put on Hydrogen peroxide and a sock in order to keep him from licking it. We used some tape to keep the sock on, because he kept pulling it off. The next day, we removed the sock, put some more hydrodgen peroxide on it, and then replaced the sock. Later that day, he would not walk on it, and it had swelled up pretty bad. We removed the sock and tape, and it was still bleeding. We currently have on gauze and a different sock, but what can we do?

By now this wound is probably dealt with. Sorry, I got behind on my free questions as I have recently had a baby. However, I thought I would answer this for the benefit of others who are searching for answers to a similar question.

If a dog has a wound that they will not leave alone then they usually do need oral antibiotics. Creams generally do not work to fight infection. Hydrogen peroxide will actually slow down healing of a wound. It works initially to help clean a wound but if you use it repeatedly it can actually do more harm than good.

If a foot is swollen after receiving a wound then this is a sign of a serious infection. In cases like this it is very important that antibiotics are started right away. Waiting too long could mean that the dog could need surgery.

I hope things are ok with Toby now!

Intranasal vaccine reaction. our kitten seams to have had a reaction to her nasal vacine it had been about four... (9019 views)

Wound on cat's paw. When I got my cat 3yrs ago he had frostbite on his front pads, they healed good. a... (6705 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My cat seems to be ill. It's been a few days that starts sneezing. Now its... (5937 views)

Swollen gums in dog. in end june of 2009 , gingivitus like symptoms appeared in my dog . the vet did... (20751 views)

Sores around vulva. Hi Dr. Marie, I would like a second opinion on my dog's health issue. She is a 4... (61397 views)

Unable to walk. We put the dog outside this morning and then went out to bring him back in and found... (82664 views)

Sensitive at tail base. My cat is 7 years old. She is the only suvivor of her litteer. All of the kittens... (120535 views)

Dog is walking funny, I have a 14 year old dog. About a year ago he lost most of his hearing. About 2... (47260 views)

Addison's disease? I've seen a few questions where people ask about what could have happened to their... (59313 views)

No bowel movement? Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my... (17828 views)