Swollen foot after wound.

Breed: Boston Terrier
My dog Toby has what appears to be a cut in between his toes on one of his paws. He was constantly licking it, so we put on Hydrogen peroxide and a sock in order to keep him from licking it. We used some tape to keep the sock on, because he kept pulling it off. The next day, we removed the sock, put some more hydrodgen peroxide on it, and then replaced the sock. Later that day, he would not walk on it, and it had swelled up pretty bad. We removed the sock and tape, and it was still bleeding. We currently have on gauze and a different sock, but what can we do?

By now this wound is probably dealt with. Sorry, I got behind on my free questions as I have recently had a baby. However, I thought I would answer this for the benefit of others who are searching for answers to a similar question.

If a dog has a wound that they will not leave alone then they usually do need oral antibiotics. Creams generally do not work to fight infection. Hydrogen peroxide will actually slow down healing of a wound. It works initially to help clean a wound but if you use it repeatedly it can actually do more harm than good.

If a foot is swollen after receiving a wound then this is a sign of a serious infection. In cases like this it is very important that antibiotics are started right away. Waiting too long could mean that the dog could need surgery.

I hope things are ok with Toby now!

Pimples on dog's stomach. Your Question: Edit Question Our dog suddenly got little pimple-like lesions all... (31886 views)

Possible demodectic mange. We live in Bangladesh an are unable to obtian decent vet care for my dog. I am... (33826 views)

Is FHO a good idea? my 11 year old 35kg male dog suffers from severe hip displasia & pain relief... (9944 views)

Lump after vaccines. We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he... (24077 views)

Lance abscess? My dog was was in a fight with my roomates dog. He healed up and was himself a few... (8682 views)

UTI in a kitten. Hi there, I have spoken to you in the past, and am looking for a little advice... (7727 views)

My dog is pooping blood. What does it mean when a dog poops blood? I woke up this morning and there was... (626721 views)

Heart enlargement? Hi I have a female terrier dog, Fido and she is 9 years old. Couple of months ago my... (3376 views)

Hair loss at base of tail. My cat has been pulling her fur out near the base of her tail,leaving swollen bald... (10880 views)

Do I have rabies? Hiii m rakesh..i was bitten by a dog when i was 18 years old. I dnt know that dog... (7423 views)