Swollen foot after wound.

Breed: Boston Terrier
My dog Toby has what appears to be a cut in between his toes on one of his paws. He was constantly licking it, so we put on Hydrogen peroxide and a sock in order to keep him from licking it. We used some tape to keep the sock on, because he kept pulling it off. The next day, we removed the sock, put some more hydrodgen peroxide on it, and then replaced the sock. Later that day, he would not walk on it, and it had swelled up pretty bad. We removed the sock and tape, and it was still bleeding. We currently have on gauze and a different sock, but what can we do?

By now this wound is probably dealt with. Sorry, I got behind on my free questions as I have recently had a baby. However, I thought I would answer this for the benefit of others who are searching for answers to a similar question.

If a dog has a wound that they will not leave alone then they usually do need oral antibiotics. Creams generally do not work to fight infection. Hydrogen peroxide will actually slow down healing of a wound. It works initially to help clean a wound but if you use it repeatedly it can actually do more harm than good.

If a foot is swollen after receiving a wound then this is a sign of a serious infection. In cases like this it is very important that antibiotics are started right away. Waiting too long could mean that the dog could need surgery.

I hope things are ok with Toby now!

Tapeworm contagious? I have a 3-4 yr old Siamese cat named Vincent....I got him from a shelter as a... (31794 views)

Cancer in a cat's chest. Hi there, I hope this wont be too long, but I want to provide the history of the... (14449 views)

Lentigo on a cat. Hi Dr. Marie... My 3.5 year old tortoiseshell cat has developed a black freckle... (25944 views)

Vomiting kitten My 4 month old kitten was fine 3 days ago, then she suddenly regurgitated her... (21967 views)

Lump on dog's side after fight. Hi there, I have a Chihuahua mix who has this huge, loose swelling on his side. He's... (14042 views)

Bad for dog to eat paper? iv had Lexi 4 almost 6 months now, and she just loves to chew paper. i know she is... (42853 views)

Rat bleeding from eye. It started about 4-5 weeks ago when I noticed my girl was bleeding from her eye and... (23206 views)

Diarrhea after having puppies. is it nomal for a dog to have the runs after giving birth to 11 puppies a week... (28722 views)

Should I get an ultrasound? Dear Dr. Marie, My dog has a grade 3-4 heart murmur that she’s had her whole... (12410 views)

Cat is being picked on I have 3 cats. Inga is picked on by both. I think they both just want to play with... (12727 views)