Swollen foot after wound.

Breed: Boston Terrier
My dog Toby has what appears to be a cut in between his toes on one of his paws. He was constantly licking it, so we put on Hydrogen peroxide and a sock in order to keep him from licking it. We used some tape to keep the sock on, because he kept pulling it off. The next day, we removed the sock, put some more hydrodgen peroxide on it, and then replaced the sock. Later that day, he would not walk on it, and it had swelled up pretty bad. We removed the sock and tape, and it was still bleeding. We currently have on gauze and a different sock, but what can we do?

By now this wound is probably dealt with. Sorry, I got behind on my free questions as I have recently had a baby. However, I thought I would answer this for the benefit of others who are searching for answers to a similar question.

If a dog has a wound that they will not leave alone then they usually do need oral antibiotics. Creams generally do not work to fight infection. Hydrogen peroxide will actually slow down healing of a wound. It works initially to help clean a wound but if you use it repeatedly it can actually do more harm than good.

If a foot is swollen after receiving a wound then this is a sign of a serious infection. In cases like this it is very important that antibiotics are started right away. Waiting too long could mean that the dog could need surgery.

I hope things are ok with Toby now!

Not well after vaccines. Had rabies distemper & bord shots fri Gave her frontline & heartguard yest night.... (5831 views)

Are raisins toxic to cats? Hello, On Monday of this week (today is Wednesday) my cat came up to me while I... (12448 views)

Cat peeing in tub. Hi, DR. Marie; Tiger has recently started using the bath tub for his litter box,... (35464 views)

Cat is dying. I took in a stray that was living in a garage since his was little for years and was... (4203 views)

Vomiting Dog. I contacted you about Little White Dog on April 24. She had had an exploratory to... (14685 views)

Bleeding from penis won't stop. I have a british bulldog who began bleeding from his penis a week ago. Took him to... (31979 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old dachshund. She consumed 2 and 1/2 pieces of... (6017 views)

Basset Hound whining. My basset has seemed to be more whiny latley than usual. I felt around his joints... (6525 views)

Anxious cat - medicine? Hello, My Cat Guen shows MANY attention seeking behaviors. She chews chords,... (16742 views)

Papaya leaf extract for cancer? Hi, Jacob is 8 he just had his spleen removed due to a tumor about a week ago. ... (6633 views)