Swollen foot after wound.

Breed: Boston Terrier
My dog Toby has what appears to be a cut in between his toes on one of his paws. He was constantly licking it, so we put on Hydrogen peroxide and a sock in order to keep him from licking it. We used some tape to keep the sock on, because he kept pulling it off. The next day, we removed the sock, put some more hydrodgen peroxide on it, and then replaced the sock. Later that day, he would not walk on it, and it had swelled up pretty bad. We removed the sock and tape, and it was still bleeding. We currently have on gauze and a different sock, but what can we do?

By now this wound is probably dealt with. Sorry, I got behind on my free questions as I have recently had a baby. However, I thought I would answer this for the benefit of others who are searching for answers to a similar question.

If a dog has a wound that they will not leave alone then they usually do need oral antibiotics. Creams generally do not work to fight infection. Hydrogen peroxide will actually slow down healing of a wound. It works initially to help clean a wound but if you use it repeatedly it can actually do more harm than good.

If a foot is swollen after receiving a wound then this is a sign of a serious infection. In cases like this it is very important that antibiotics are started right away. Waiting too long could mean that the dog could need surgery.

I hope things are ok with Toby now!

Diabetic cat diet. Hi, I am the owner of two siamese cats (female) from same litter - 11.5 years old.... (6567 views)

Puppy throwing up 3 days. My kids brought home a new puppy I have no money she has been here for 2 weeks I... (6261 views)

Cat with a cold. My cat has a cold, and i was wondering if there is anything i can do at home for her... (12335 views)

Dog shaking and limping. Dear Dr: Since yesterday I see that my dog tires to go to the bathrooms and hide.... (7502 views)

Increased thirst and urination. I have an 11 year old spayed female toy poodle. She has been drinking a lot of water... (17432 views)

Dog licking everything My dog has recently started compulsivley licking his paws/us/anything else he can... (11006 views)

Cat with asthma. My cat sam is 9 yrs old. he weighs about 16 pounds. He has coughing spells about 3... (4651 views)

Grief after dog passed away. I recently lost my 13 year old German Shepherd mix. She is my first dog. My... (4234 views)

Guinea pig not eating. Hello, I have a 3 year old guinea pig who has stopped eating. Last week I... (3994 views)

Pregnancy symptoms in dogs. Hi Dr Marie My 2.5 yr old OES was bred last week with 1 AI and 5 natural ties. This... (10145 views)