Trouble moving.

Breed: terrier mix
Firts, I am owner of 3 dogs~

Last Saturday we found a small tick on buddy. He would not let us get it off that night so I thought i would try Sunday. sunday morning we woke up and he could not get down the stairs. Called vet, gave him 1/2 81 mg aspirin. Went to vet on Tuesday, tested positive for Lymes Disease. Given antibiotic, has been on since tuesday. Still slugish, noticed mucus in feces, will walk but still cannot jump up. Yelps when you rub back legs.

Tonight noticed Oscar, our brussels griffon, is having problems with back legs and having a hard time jumping up. He also has starting yelping when you rub back leg / hip area. HAve not found a tick on him.

Do not know what to do and feel horrible about this!

I'm sorry to hear that your dogs are going through this.

This is an unusual situation. What has me puzzled is that normally an animal has to have lyme disease for 3-5 weeks before the lyme test will be positive. Also, we don't tend to see symptoms of lyme disease until 2-5 months after exposure to the tick. So, if your dog picked up a tick a few days ago, we would not see symptoms of lyme this soon.

Many dogs can be lyme positive and not actually get symptoms of lyme disease.

It is certainly possible that the dogs had been exposed to a lyme positive tick a few months ago as well. It is quite coincidental though if they both started showing symptoms so suddenly.

However, I am having a hard time trying to come up with a condition that could affect both dogs like this.

The most common reason for a dog to have trouble with the back legs is a back problem such as intervertebral disc disease. However, it is not something that should affect multiple dogs.

Another possible condition (although not common) is a condition called tick paralysis. Some ticks can produce a toxin that can cause a dog to lose function of two or more legs. If this is the case, however, the dogs make a dramatic recovery within 24-48 hours of the tick being removed.

Have the dogs been treated with a tick product such as frontline or Revolution? If not, I would definitely recommend doing so. Sometimes a tick can be present in an area that is hard to find.

If this were my case I would be recommending a repeat visit for both dogs to assess their backs for intervertebral disc disease. I would likely put both dogs on doxycycline (which treats lyme and other tick borne diseases) just to be sure. I would probably also be doing some general bloodwork to see if I could get any more clues as to what could be going on.

I wish I could give you more info....this is a difficult situation. I hope everything is ok!

Where is dog's vulva? My husband resqued a blue tick in the National Forest that was being chased by 2... (49408 views)

Inverted vulva and puppy vaginitis. I have purchased a Golden Retriever to be used as a new dog for breeding. She is... (41162 views)

Bladder stones again. Hi there My cat had 100% blockage of urethra in Sept 2009, and underwent PU... (10858 views)

Still have puppies inside? my dog had puppies 2 days ago 6 puppies were the only ones that came out, four came... (15103 views)

Did kitten have heatstroke. the other day i tried to rescue a stray kitten who was suffering from heat stroke,... (9315 views)

Kitten is bleeding from vagina. since ive got my kitten she has been crying alot, ive noticed her bleeding aswell... (13691 views)

Sick Yorkie Buddy has been acting sick for about a week, being lethargic and unresponsive,... (4974 views)

Does my cat have feline leukemia? have a 6 year old female cat with up to date FeLV and FIV vaccinations. She has the... (4504 views)

Crying after using litter box. After my cat eats, drinks, gets up or uses the cat box she cries this very strange... (23987 views)

Chihuahua ate tennis ball. My small, 5lb baby girl chihauha (sp?) was outside playing with our two other dogs. ... (18939 views)