Trouble moving.

Breed: terrier mix
Firts, I am owner of 3 dogs~

Last Saturday we found a small tick on buddy. He would not let us get it off that night so I thought i would try Sunday. sunday morning we woke up and he could not get down the stairs. Called vet, gave him 1/2 81 mg aspirin. Went to vet on Tuesday, tested positive for Lymes Disease. Given antibiotic, has been on since tuesday. Still slugish, noticed mucus in feces, will walk but still cannot jump up. Yelps when you rub back legs.

Tonight noticed Oscar, our brussels griffon, is having problems with back legs and having a hard time jumping up. He also has starting yelping when you rub back leg / hip area. HAve not found a tick on him.

Do not know what to do and feel horrible about this!

I'm sorry to hear that your dogs are going through this.

This is an unusual situation. What has me puzzled is that normally an animal has to have lyme disease for 3-5 weeks before the lyme test will be positive. Also, we don't tend to see symptoms of lyme disease until 2-5 months after exposure to the tick. So, if your dog picked up a tick a few days ago, we would not see symptoms of lyme this soon.

Many dogs can be lyme positive and not actually get symptoms of lyme disease.

It is certainly possible that the dogs had been exposed to a lyme positive tick a few months ago as well. It is quite coincidental though if they both started showing symptoms so suddenly.

However, I am having a hard time trying to come up with a condition that could affect both dogs like this.

The most common reason for a dog to have trouble with the back legs is a back problem such as intervertebral disc disease. However, it is not something that should affect multiple dogs.

Another possible condition (although not common) is a condition called tick paralysis. Some ticks can produce a toxin that can cause a dog to lose function of two or more legs. If this is the case, however, the dogs make a dramatic recovery within 24-48 hours of the tick being removed.

Have the dogs been treated with a tick product such as frontline or Revolution? If not, I would definitely recommend doing so. Sometimes a tick can be present in an area that is hard to find.

If this were my case I would be recommending a repeat visit for both dogs to assess their backs for intervertebral disc disease. I would likely put both dogs on doxycycline (which treats lyme and other tick borne diseases) just to be sure. I would probably also be doing some general bloodwork to see if I could get any more clues as to what could be going on.

I wish I could give you more info....this is a difficult situation. I hope everything is ok!

Urinating outside of box. Hi there, I have two cats, a male (Duke, long haired tabby) and female (Bella,... (8487 views)

Rat lost his brother. My rat has lost his brother will he be ok i am not getting another... (12019 views)

Treatments for constipated cat. Good morning Dr Marie, This is the second time I have used your service. I was... (4557 views)

Stuffed up cat. I have a male cat named Tuna aged somewhere close to a year and a half. He is a... (11579 views)

Lump on dog. Hi Dr Marie, I realize your answer to this may be a best guess... But today I... (12554 views)

Tail tip injury. our dog is golden retriever 5 years old, he had happy tail and somehow cut the tip... (7712 views)

Staffordshire terriers and children. I have two female staffies who are extremely close, but who will nip and snarl at... (7808 views)

Older cat with vomiting and white nose. My cat is a 13y.o., outdoor (day) / indoor (night), mouser/birder, and has been a... (17090 views)

Sick guinea pig. hello, i need help. my guinea pig peppy is really dehydrated and really weak, today... (12675 views)

Heterochromia in a cat. I recently got a cat as a rescue. She is white, with light grey and yellow... (11974 views)