Trouble moving.

Breed: terrier mix
Firts, I am owner of 3 dogs~

Last Saturday we found a small tick on buddy. He would not let us get it off that night so I thought i would try Sunday. sunday morning we woke up and he could not get down the stairs. Called vet, gave him 1/2 81 mg aspirin. Went to vet on Tuesday, tested positive for Lymes Disease. Given antibiotic, has been on since tuesday. Still slugish, noticed mucus in feces, will walk but still cannot jump up. Yelps when you rub back legs.

Tonight noticed Oscar, our brussels griffon, is having problems with back legs and having a hard time jumping up. He also has starting yelping when you rub back leg / hip area. HAve not found a tick on him.

Do not know what to do and feel horrible about this!

I'm sorry to hear that your dogs are going through this.

This is an unusual situation. What has me puzzled is that normally an animal has to have lyme disease for 3-5 weeks before the lyme test will be positive. Also, we don't tend to see symptoms of lyme disease until 2-5 months after exposure to the tick. So, if your dog picked up a tick a few days ago, we would not see symptoms of lyme this soon.

Many dogs can be lyme positive and not actually get symptoms of lyme disease.

It is certainly possible that the dogs had been exposed to a lyme positive tick a few months ago as well. It is quite coincidental though if they both started showing symptoms so suddenly.

However, I am having a hard time trying to come up with a condition that could affect both dogs like this.

The most common reason for a dog to have trouble with the back legs is a back problem such as intervertebral disc disease. However, it is not something that should affect multiple dogs.

Another possible condition (although not common) is a condition called tick paralysis. Some ticks can produce a toxin that can cause a dog to lose function of two or more legs. If this is the case, however, the dogs make a dramatic recovery within 24-48 hours of the tick being removed.

Have the dogs been treated with a tick product such as frontline or Revolution? If not, I would definitely recommend doing so. Sometimes a tick can be present in an area that is hard to find.

If this were my case I would be recommending a repeat visit for both dogs to assess their backs for intervertebral disc disease. I would likely put both dogs on doxycycline (which treats lyme and other tick borne diseases) just to be sure. I would probably also be doing some general bloodwork to see if I could get any more clues as to what could be going on.

I wish I could give you more info....this is a difficult situation. I hope everything is ok!

Bump on dog's ear. I noticed that the flap of my dog's ear has this pimple like bump on it. you can't... (19183 views)

Not eating or drinking because lonely? i have a puppy i've had her in the backyard now my sister had an inspection at her... (7585 views)

House training adult dog. Is it possible to house break a 5 y/o mini pin that was rescued from a puppy mill? ... (8127 views)

Cat has diarrhea. Hi, Our cat has diarrhea - it seems that she licks and licks herself and then it... (7747 views)

15 year old dog with kidney failure. My dog Gyppie had a bloody stool, large. We took her to the vet. He ran blood work,... (7628 views)

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (8101 views)

Bald spot on cat's back. My friend's 1 1/2 yr. old cat has been losing the hair from it's tail for about 10... (39864 views)

Symptoms of Lupus Help! owners have spent $1100 on test and everything comes back normal but Archie is... (10058 views)

Howling and very sick. My 13 year old male cat, since yesterday is sick, and I don't know why. Yesterday... (73318 views)

Swollen eye and vomiting. Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went... (47607 views)