Trouble moving.

Breed: terrier mix
Firts, I am owner of 3 dogs~

Last Saturday we found a small tick on buddy. He would not let us get it off that night so I thought i would try Sunday. sunday morning we woke up and he could not get down the stairs. Called vet, gave him 1/2 81 mg aspirin. Went to vet on Tuesday, tested positive for Lymes Disease. Given antibiotic, has been on since tuesday. Still slugish, noticed mucus in feces, will walk but still cannot jump up. Yelps when you rub back legs.

Tonight noticed Oscar, our brussels griffon, is having problems with back legs and having a hard time jumping up. He also has starting yelping when you rub back leg / hip area. HAve not found a tick on him.

Do not know what to do and feel horrible about this!

I'm sorry to hear that your dogs are going through this.

This is an unusual situation. What has me puzzled is that normally an animal has to have lyme disease for 3-5 weeks before the lyme test will be positive. Also, we don't tend to see symptoms of lyme disease until 2-5 months after exposure to the tick. So, if your dog picked up a tick a few days ago, we would not see symptoms of lyme this soon.

Many dogs can be lyme positive and not actually get symptoms of lyme disease.

It is certainly possible that the dogs had been exposed to a lyme positive tick a few months ago as well. It is quite coincidental though if they both started showing symptoms so suddenly.

However, I am having a hard time trying to come up with a condition that could affect both dogs like this.

The most common reason for a dog to have trouble with the back legs is a back problem such as intervertebral disc disease. However, it is not something that should affect multiple dogs.

Another possible condition (although not common) is a condition called tick paralysis. Some ticks can produce a toxin that can cause a dog to lose function of two or more legs. If this is the case, however, the dogs make a dramatic recovery within 24-48 hours of the tick being removed.

Have the dogs been treated with a tick product such as frontline or Revolution? If not, I would definitely recommend doing so. Sometimes a tick can be present in an area that is hard to find.

If this were my case I would be recommending a repeat visit for both dogs to assess their backs for intervertebral disc disease. I would likely put both dogs on doxycycline (which treats lyme and other tick borne diseases) just to be sure. I would probably also be doing some general bloodwork to see if I could get any more clues as to what could be going on.

I wish I could give you more info....this is a difficult situation. I hope everything is ok!

Dasuquin causing allergies. About 5 months ago, my dog injured his leg during a walk. I took him to the vet &... (10811 views)

Vomiting, quiet cat. My 5 year old cat starting vomiting on Sunday - a few times and then vomited clear... (14512 views)

My dog vomited. Max just threw up. Probably not serous but wanted to check. 30 min ago he was... (10786 views)

Any problems after inguinal hernia surgery? I purchased a yorkie 2months old who recently had a inguinao hernia surgery and i... (11341 views)

Kitten has a cold and is congested. the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be... (11021 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (15140 views)

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (55367 views)

Lyme vaccine and testing. Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then... (11195 views)

Bad for dog to eat paper? iv had Lexi 4 almost 6 months now, and she just loves to chew paper. i know she is... (35089 views)

Drinking and urinating more. Approx. 6 yrs old or older, part Rodesian Ridgeback, 69 pounds. He was a stray and... (4087 views)