Dog won't gain weight.

Breed: Dogue de Bordeaux
Our boy, Zidane, was born May 19, 2009, which makes Zidane almost 18 months old. He has been a finicky eater since the day I brought him home but I was able to get him to eat kibble mixed with canned food. He got to the point where he just wouldn’t eat and would wait to see if there was anything better. I knew and everyone told me he was spoiled and finicky and I should put the food down and if he didn’t eat it just take it away till the next feeding. I did this and he’d sort of eat but only enough to not starve but certainly not enough for a dogue that is still growing. He got down to 108 lbs. and his spine, hip bones and bone on his head were protruding. Since he wouldn’t eat any kibble or canned food, I switched him to raw. He loved it for about 3 weeks and put weight on to 118 lbs. Now, he won’t eat that either. The only thing he eats is Natural Balance rolls, raw food but in freeze dried form, boiled chicken, hamburger patties, cheese and eggs. It all has protein but he is not putting on weight. He’s only 112 lbs. and I remember his breeder telling me his dad was 150 lbs. at 18 months old. Zidane is strong, full of energy, wants to play, and so on so I doubt he is “sick.” But I’m worried that he is not filling in and quite tired of having to play the "eating" game at each feeding.

Thanks for telling me about your experiences with Zidane. It sounds frustrating!

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things. However, I am concerned that perhaps there is another reason for his not wanting to eat than just not liking the food.

Is Zidane neutered? If not, having him neutered may make a difference. If a dog is not neutered and if there is a female in heat within miles of your house, the desire to breed can be so strong that it causes a dog to not have an appetite. It's like all they think about is breeding!

If he is neutered then I would highly advise you have a vet take a look at him and see if there is a medical reason for him to be not gaining weight and not wanting to eat. The first thing I would do is a general blood profile to see if there are any clues.

Does he have normal stools? If not, this could be a sign of a digestive problem such as a problem where the pancreas isn't digesting the food properly.

It's also a good idea to have a fecal exam done to look for parasites. Not all parasites are killed with regular dewormers.

Hopefully this helps. But let me know if you want to ask more about any of the points I have made above.

Bump near anus. My dog has what looks like a pimple or maybe an ingrown hair? It's not white like a... (31679 views)

Very sick dog. Last night I noticed my dog had diarrhea and bad gas, but I thought she was just a... (15469 views)

Phenobarb shortage? my vet just informed me the phenobarbital my dog take is going up 600% in price...is... (13375 views)

How long after flea treatment will my dog stop scratching? We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35... (88578 views)

Weakness in back legs and twitching eye. Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and... (9465 views)

Severe skin problems. My dog Leila started licking on 8/1/12. Her spots looked like hot spots on elbows... (6702 views)

Puppy sleeps all the time. Hi, We just got our puppy Marley on Sunday, 16. He is eating and drinking, and is 7... (9269 views)

old dog is peeing in the house. spot is 17 and has started weeing in house constantley even when we have doors open... (20228 views)

Coronavirus and FIP. I recently adopted a cat from overseas, and I found out later he was housed briefly... (7687 views)

Dog limping. My dog just started having pain today. We took him on a particularly long walk... (9814 views)